Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    LiT - in case you hadn't see this: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12616941
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    cjcp wrote:

Good one - posted! Ridley not my cup o'tea either.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    This evening I have a lump on my temple with a red mark exactly the shape of a cricket ball seam! First session in the nets this year, and the first ball my mate bowls beats me outside off stump, hits the wooden fence behind the nets, and rebounds into my head! Ouch. Just glad he didn't hit me direct. Wore a helmet for the rest of the session.

So: cricket helmets - any use? Or would I have been MORE injured had I been wearing one?
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    This evening I have a lump on my temple with a red mark exactly the shape of a cricket ball seam! First session in the nets this year, and the first ball my mate bowls beats me outside off stump, hits the wooden fence behind the nets, and rebounds into my head! Ouch. Just glad he didn't hit me direct. Wore a helmet for the rest of the session.

So: cricket helmets - any use? Or would I have been MORE injured had I been wearing one?

If the ball is bouncing back like that:

1. you were either using a rubber ball;
    2. the wooden fence is way too close to the stumps; or
    3. your mate is Allan Donald and is bowling at a mean speed. :shock:

Did you play a flashing shot? Poor footwork? You could have caught in the slips, you know.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I wafted at a medium pace offside delivery (with a proper, brand new cricket ball) which you'd leave in a game, but, you know, it's the nets... You're right - the wooden fence is made of round logs (each log has a diameter of about 4 inches, and they're horizontal) and although there is netting in front of them, if the ball hits the log at the right (wrong) angle it rebounds dangerously. I got another thwack on the bum in the same way later (but I have plenty of padding there so no injury!).
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    biondino wrote:

Ouch, bad luck, you are in the wars lately. Yep, helmets always in the nets and don't forget to stick the visor on :)
  • cjcp
    Ouch indeed. Maybe the seam imprint can be your new avatar! :) Last time I played cricket, I scored 25 off 8 balls. Client match, 30-and-out type of thing. Blind luck, so have retired on the back of that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    biondino wrote:

Always wera a helmet, probably didn't work this time as the ball bounced back at you at a strange angle!

I used to play a bit, had one game for work when I was bowling the last over, one guy came in for the last 3 balls, padding up quickly etc...First ball in raised up and hit just below waist level but no "crack" sound just a dull thud and he went down, he forgot to put a box on, poor bugger!

I'm sure you wouldn't go in without a box Biondino, just make sure you protect your head as you do your family jewels! :)

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Not a sausage on the roads today. Saw more bikes than cars and they were mostly unladen roadies going in the opposite direction towards RP/Surrey hills.

Right, done my bit of work for the day so it's time to ride home. Bright sunshine due on Easter monday? My saddle-sitter it is! It's only bluddy raining. And me in my white shoes and on the dry weather bike. Grr
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Surely post number 100,000 for the forum belongs here? :lol:
    Volition & freedom is within the remit of a democratic society.

Not everybody agrees with your point of view though.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Just when I was beginning to get annoyed at all the extra traffic on the roads this Easter today all that changed :D

Count them kiddies 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 YES!!! 12 scalps in one ride :D including 2 def club riders in full club kit :D

The force was truly with me this morning.

See ride reports for full details.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Adjudication please, how is this going to affect my FCN?

15126_off_road_bag_10.jpg

I know it's not a pannier, but it I don't want my number going too low. I might have to get a jersey with a rucsack printed on the back 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • georgio15
    georgio15 Posts: 77
    i ride a road frame that is in actual fact a touring bike, but i consistently overtake roadies with hairy legs, and usually overtake those silly idiots with shaved legs and nice tight tops and bottoms. only overtaken a couple of scooters but there was traffic.

should i adjust and put myslef above the hairy leg boys?

my FCN is 10
  • lost_in_thought
    georgio15 wrote:
    i ride a road frame that is in actual fact a touring bike, but i consistently overtake roadies with hairy legs, and usually overtake those silly idiots with shaved legs and nice tight tops and bottoms. only overtaken a couple of scooters but there was traffic.

should i adjust and put myslef above the hairy leg boys?

my FCN is 10

Yeah, those eejits with their hairless legs and their lycra... can't stand 'em myself... :? :wink::D

Where abouts do you ride? :twisted:
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Morning peeps, Had to get up early to fettle with the bike this morning (mech and innertube) but on the plus side looks like its gonna be a hell of a nice day

ride safe

Gaz
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Obviosuly it was going to be sunny for the first time in ages this morning, and very pleasant it was too. I thought it might be quiet but far from it :) Hardly managed any cycling over the weekend so made the most of the scalping bonanza on offer :) Summer's coming... 8)

If anyone's interested I think I may have at last uploaded the CJCP video on You Tube but can't check in the office. There's a link on the headcam thread to some footage. :)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    itboffin wrote:
    12 scalps in one ride :D including 2 def club riders in full club kit :D

How did you know they were deaf? I suppose their pack hand signals were very smooth, concise and well constructed.

I'm now out of my winter jacket even in the mornings - arm warmers and gillete (Gilete, Gilette, Jill-et, dhjil-it) for me - still in long fingered gloves though.

My Karma was well balanced this morning - a Cannondale dude whipped by me just as I came out of the end of my road - I just knew that he was on city West London Bike Traveleator going into town so I played the long game. He was as serial RLJer so I must have passed him five times by the time I finally dropped the hammer just before Blackfriars big dipper.

However - I made the schoolboy error just as the road drops down before the bridge of not getting enough road between me and the kerb. BIG truck gives me - oh about two feet of room. Cheers for nothing pal.

Remember bike fans get out early and arrive alive.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Alas in the car this morning - first time in months as i have to go to Taunton

LiT - stop scaring people :roll:
  • georgio15
    georgio15 Posts: 77
    Where abouts do you ride? :twisted:

mainly round central london. my main route is roughly from sloane square to putney bridge
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    @C3967 - Just watched those vids that you posted :-) That dude on the recumbant was carrying a far bit of speed but the to$$pot fake/messenger along the Embankment was clearing giving it some! Either that or Elvis is has found a new career (or should that be courier............)

Still got 2 days of my lurvly long easter break left, so really itching to get out on bike - might try and persuade the wife that we need to take the kids to a "local" park today where I can ride and meet them there...........shame she doesn't know the way to Richmond Park as it looks like a lovely day for it!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    prawny wrote:
    Adjudication please, how is this going to affect my FCN?

15126_off_road_bag_10.jpg

I know it's not a pannier, but it I don't want my number going too low. I might have to get a jersey with a rucsack printed on the back 8)

I think that you need to get your bike Exorcised. It has been afflicted by demons.

I will perform the ceremony for you, I will bring the Holy Hex Set and WD 40 and will return you to saintly purity in no time.

Have you found yourself wheelie-ing a lot recently?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    You know what I did grab some phat(!) air off a pile of compressed mud from roadworks today, front end took right off!. Sadly it isn't as big as it looks though.

Apparently there's a 4kg limit, sadly I don't have any dark matter to test this.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    Obviosuly it was going to be sunny for the first time in ages this morning, and very pleasant it was too. I thought it might be quiet but far from it :) Hardly managed any cycling over the weekend so made the most of the scalping bonanza on offer :) Summer's coming... 8)

If anyone's interested I think I may have at last uploaded the CJCP video on You Tube but can't check in the office. There's a link on the headcam thread to some footage. :)

Can't find it. Phew!

Love the way you skinned that bloke with the backpack. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnezOHFBxqc
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    I came in on the Tifosi this morning, left home at about 0900 as I had to take the car in for an MOT, and was hoping to see my cousin on his recumbent for some racing action. No joy, unfortunately.

In fact, no joy at all really. No prey about, one guy on a roadie spinning his little heart out was swiftly dispatched, but he was going really pretty slowly...

In other news, my Edge doesn't seem to be a very efficient measure of speed in London. As I was slowing for some lights, coasting on the flat, it showed my speed as 32.9 mph, which it certainly was not, and on my usual drag strip, bombing along, overtaking cars, 11.1mph.

Hmmmmmmmm. Sceptical face. :?
  • itboffin
    Must be something in the air my cycle comp has started making up figures :roll:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    8 this morning on the fixie - 2 x roadies and allot of hybrids.....Noticed that some of them even take a different route to go around an "undulation", well, a minor hill on the A38.....That is pretty pants, they need to MTFU.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I nearly died holding off a geared roadie this am. 4 days off the bike and copious levels of troughing at the familial home have given my legs the power and consistency of jelly! No helped by the fact that I set off in a jacket and was boiling within 1 minute. Still, held the fecker off. Not having the bike at the weekend was so frustrating, some perfect cycling weather in Sussex over the weekend and I couldn't take advantage at all. :cry:
  • cjcp
    I nearly died holding off a geared roadie this am. 4 days off the bike and copious levels of troughing at the familial home have given my legs the power and consistency of jelly! No helped by the fact that I set off in a jacket and was boiling within 1 minute. Still, held the fecker off. Not having the bike at the weekend was so frustrating, some perfect cycling weather in Sussex over the weekend and I couldn't take advantage at all. :cry:

Good one.

Yep, nice three laps of the Park on Sunday evening, followed by two in a wonderful evening glow last night. But you didn't want to hear that, did you? :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Well, after months and months of not getting involved in this SCR thing, I thought I'd have a look at what you are all on about here. As the fair weather London cyclists dust their bikes off for the summer, I find I am no longer one of the only cyclists on the road as I commute in, in fact I must be regularly passing 20 or so cyclists, mostly on hybrids or sus MTBs etc. Every now and then though I end up in an epic battle with someone lycra-d up and on some fancy road bike or a fixie. I usually manage to hold them off but it definitely gets the pulse going!

For my commute I ride a cheapo Halfords alu framed Apollo road bike with Sora shifters but all other parts are generic Shimano stuff. I carry a rucksack which weighs between 5 and 15kg depending on what I am carting about with me. I did score myself up once but I can't remember what it was. How do I work it out again?

BTW do any of you lot commute in along the Old Kent Road, cross London Bridge, through the City? I'm wondering if I have "scalped" a few of you....!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.