• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    sarajoy wrote:
    Got my sig sorted ready for it :!

We'll soon convert you from this:

8299-22_EL_vita_sport_black_l.jpg

to this:

9782_50_Ruby_SW_l.jpg

The Vita is still a very nice looking bike however.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DDD, oh what a short memory.......if it had not been for a rather unfortunate bout of mechanical problems we would have been a merry band of 3 riding up to the Freewheel last year but Sewiman had to duck out last minute!

Ah I remember now. Good day it was, wiping out kiddies, beating you and Snooks around the course, tearing you apart on the way home... well that's how I remember it.
    Actually SM as you head over VB and back towards Streatham I'll have to keep an eye out for you as I'm doing that route this evening! What time do you leave work?

Hot damn! That's a gauntlet thrown down if ever I've seen one!

FW was good fun! This year I'm taking the kid(s) out with me so I'll be on the look out for you if you attend again, just so you don't try running my ones over ;-) Once the summer comes round I'm gonna start the eldest on hill reps of Crystal Palace so she can scalp people like daddy :-)

As for the last bit, it wasn't so much a gauntlet as a query, riding with friends can be fun!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • AdiMac
    AdiMac Posts: 36
    Well Yokels I'll be ploding along the Feeder road next week as my C2W voucher has come and I hope to get my new bike on Sunday. So if you want an easy sclap come find me :D:D
    Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around you could miss it.
  • DonDaddyD

FW was good fun! This year I'm taking the kid(s) out with me so I'll be on the look out for you if you attend again, just so you don't try running my ones over ;-) Once the summer comes round I'm gonna start the eldest on hill reps of Crystal Palace so she can scalp people like daddy :-)

Yeah I'm planning on fixing up my Giant M2 and taking my bro. I may also bring two other friends but then I fear I'll be the only roadie and need to 'ride the brakes' amongst all the slow hybrids...

Think there should be a group of SCR players at this to represent though....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Well by the time we get to the FW we should have increased our numbers with all the fair weather cyclists we could attract come the sunnier (in England?) months!

Seems the SCR recruitment train is in full swing over in brizzle tho, 2 more today alone by the looks of things and welcome AdiMac :-) You all do realize that you MUST join THE GAME facebook group yah? Link in my sig ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Greetings Adimac, I'm under strict instructions not to probe you too hard.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    girv73 what are you doing on here....?

you should be spending any spare time you have putting that new bike together.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    AdiMac wrote:
    Well Yokels I'll be ploding along the Feeder road next week as my C2W voucher has come and I hope to get my new bike on Sunday. So if you want an easy sclap come find me :D:D

Welcome AdiMac, almost never saw your post there!

Step to the front, don't be shy!

Tell us your name, what you do, your route to work, how long you've been riding for and what your weapon...er... I'm mean bike of choice (for the commute) is?

Welcome!
    Food Chain number = 4

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    DDD, you're on a probing warning now too!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    Am back on the bike after many years (ex MTBer) now on a roadie in London for the first time, started commuting 10 miles each way to work in dec, and am loving it!

cross city from west to east to get to work and can't believe how many of you there are on embankement in the evenings, had some good races....! if its like this in jan, whats it gonna be like as it gets warmer??

anyways I am now a believer, have been converted, I shudder at the thought of having to get back onto the tube....
  • itboffin
    edited January 2009
    Moo

So anyway on my "virtual" commute this afternoon I did a loop taking in part of Salisbury plain (no tanks today) and those damn cows with their mooing and smell, I tell you twice I had to shout at them cutting me up not indicating and the smell....

Oh how I miss real commuting with cars & humans :cry::lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    This is all getting a bit Cartman and the aliens for me :shock:

Southpark - what's an anal probe?
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • itboffin
    Feltup wrote:

You got pink eye...!
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    itboffin wrote:
    Moo

So anyway on my "virtual" commute this afternoon I did a loop taking in part of Salisbury plain (no tanks today) and those damn cows with their mooing and smell, I tell you twice I had to shout at them cutting me up not indicating and the smell....

Oh how I miss real commuting with cars & humans :cry::lol:

I see your damn cows with their mooing and smelling and raise you kamikazi squirrels who throw themselves at the spokes of your front wheel whilst you are bombing it down a hill.

Pesky squirrels.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • flamite wrote:
    can't believe how many of you there are on embankement in the evenings, had some good races....! if its like this in jan, whats it gonna be like as it gets warmer??

It's carnage.

The blood runs thick in the gutters, and the dipping sun is obscured by scalps filling the warm evening air.

It's awesome!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Yay a new London based commuter! But damn as they travel horizontally wheras I go vertical (on a map........)

Embankment squadron..................

ATTACK!

Don't worry flamite, we are friendly really, unless you happen to scalp us! Fear not the warmer months are gradually getting closer and before you know it you won't need your lights :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    flamite wrote:
    if its like this in jan, whats it gonna be like as it gets warmer??

Like riding the dodgems at a fun fair for OAP's

Evening Greg's :twisted:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Feltup wrote:

A great episode.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    flamite wrote:
    can't believe how many of you there are on embankement in the evenings, had some good races....! if its like this in jan, whats it gonna be like as it gets warmer??

It's carnage.

The blood runs thick in the gutters, and the dipping sun is obscured by scalps filling the warm evening air.

It's awesome!

Oh yeah - it's great in summer.

Welcome flamite - what's your route and steed? :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    BassJunkie - tend to leave 6 - 6.30ish. Black Trek 1.2, ruck sack, manky yellow short sleeved fluro bib...white socks.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Sewinman wrote:
    BassJunkie - tend to leave 6 - 6.30ish. Black Trek 1.2, ruck sack, manky yellow short sleeved fluro bib...white socks.

Bit too late for me! I leave in about 5 minutes! By 6 I should be fighting the traffic in Streatham and by 6:30 I should be home supping a lovely cuppa tea! Maybe if I'm on a late shift one day ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    edited January 2009
    wandsworth bridge area to canary wharf, straight along embankment... about 35-40 mins at the mo for 10 miles (google maps dont have a computer), cold and icy conditions of late, but i guess it can only get better!!

Cycling on an old Yellow roadie ('80s) hand me down kitted out with new (punc resistant-but aren't -foundout on first day) tyres...

look foward to scalping a few of you, slowly getting fitter and starting to take people(some lycras too!!)...

btw... drafting someone- rude?
  • itboffin wrote:
    flamite wrote:

Oi! That's a bit rich coming from an old fart like you!

Isn't it tricky holding your ear trumpet whilst riding a bike? :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • flamite wrote:
    btw... draughting someone- rude?

<sudden intake of breath>

Oh yes. Rude is the politest way to describe it.

If you're chasing, you take someone and make the pass stick all in one movement. No drafting.

If you're being chased, you ride the bugger off your wheel with pure deranged speed.

And drafting someone without them knowing it is pretty dangerous.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Where are all the silly commuter racers in Brighton? Everyone takes it so easy most of the time and i need people to race on my way to uni!

I love this thread. Been lurking on it for months and finally decided to put a word in :)

James
    Wanna go for a ride? :)
  • cjcp
    wandsworth bridge area to canary wharf, straight along embankment... about 35-40 mins at the mo for 10 miles (google maps dont have a computer), cold and icy conditions of late, but i guess it can only get better!!

Noted. Kingston - Embankment - Fenchurch St.
    Cycling on an old Yellow roadie ('80s) hand me down kitted out with new (punc resistant-but aren't -foundout on first day) tyres...

Noted.
    look foward to scalping a few of you, slowly getting fitter and starting to take people(some lycras too!!)...

Not. Going. To happen. :twisted: :wink:
    btw... drafting someone- rude?

See Greg66's post.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    flamite wrote:

Oi! That's a bit rich coming from an old fart like you!

Isn't it tricky holding your ear trumpet whilst riding a bike? :twisted:

Pardon...!?!

Speak up young girl :P
  • AdiMac
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    AdiMac wrote:

Tell us your name, what you do, your route to work, how long you've been riding for and what your weapon...er... I'm mean bike of choice (for the commute) is?

Welcome!

You can probe me if you like :roll:

I'm mid 30's, 6'3", blue eyes...

Just getting back on a bike after about 10 years, last time I had a GT Zaskar and nearly lost all my front teeth on some rocks.

So I'm getting a Boardman Hybrid Comp on Sunday, my comute is a quick 3 mile blast into work. I'm really looking forward to getting started.
  • AdiMac
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    AdiMac wrote:

Welcome!

You can probe me if you like :roll:

I'm mid 30's, 6'3", blue eyes...

Just getting back on a bike after about 10 years, last time I had a GT Zaskar and nearly lost all my front teeth on some rocks.

So I'm getting a Boardman Hybrid Comp on Sunday, my comute is a quick 3 mile blast into work. I'm really looking forward to getting started.
  • DonDaddyD
    Phew!!! Its war out there chaps! Women in high heels on bikes I can't describe are plying for scalps! Gotta say though there are only a handful of things nicer to see than a women lycra'd hunched on the drops of a roadie....

I need a ruling:

Old-ish guy on a cough *Trek Hybrid* cough on the stretch between Balham and Tooting Bec tube Station.

I encounter him on the lead up to Balham tube station, its not really the safest place to SCR as the road narrows (this is by the McDonalds and Sainsburys - no amount of MTFU chants will ever get me to SCR or go stupidly fast on this stretch). He overtakes me on this stretch but I know this road and I know what is coming next. I follow (not draft) until the lights at Balham tube.

Green, his little legs spin into a blur! He must know my drag strip as well... Now I give this guy credit he was giving it the beans and not just any beans, Heinz baked beans the most flavoursome baked beans of them all...

I absolutely destroy him, and I'm in love with my Fulcrums all over again my bike felt stable and sure footed. Me however, exploded suddenly in a fit of pain, fatigue and the right knee and butt cheek pain that has bothered me all day escalated - after this I'm diving into my bath (I reckon my muscles are tightening due to exercise and that's what I can feel). I need to make the lights to turn left, I thought and I could feel Old guy on Hybrid on my shoulder, creeping closer as my ever diminishing power continues to fail me. I grit and hunker down. As we make the lights I turn left, we were neck and neck.

Did he reclaim his scalp?
    Food Chain number = 4