Silly commuting racing

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Exactly. Manners. Out of interest, are you commuting on a red, geared bike atm?
    Yep. Red/white peugoet, very dirty. Red LS Jersey, dhb tights. Were you on the slicked-up MTB on monday?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp wrote:
    Had my first commute of 2009 this morning!

Back in The Game! :)

Indeed. Not much to report, though - roamed past a few guys with panniers on battered mtbs, was solidly scalped by someone on a fancy red road bike with those funny non-baggy trousers. Bit of a mooch into work, really.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Yep. Red/white peugoet, very dirty. Red LS Jersey, dhb tights. Were you on the slicked-up MTB on monday?

I thought it was you! :D Fly me, you were shifting! And, yes, that was me.

And, Chapeau, sir for the acknowledgment. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Jon - 27-28? :shock: Look out Mr66.

Hmm. That's about 44 in new money. That *used* to be attainable as a cruising speed. Not right now though.

I've probably said this before (memory's going with age), but a friend explained to me once that after you've had your first child, you claw back your former life, inch by inch, foot by foot, yard by yard. That's sort of where I am now.

I've been riding in this week. Every ride bar this morning's has started with a disconcerting tightness/soreness of a muscle group that's on my right lumbar and stretches round to the inside of my front right pelvic bone. Not nice, but it wears off after about 5 mins or so.

This morning's was OK from the off. Now I'm still a gear down, and I'm avoiding any sudden bursts of power (in fact, any bursts of power at all - it's all spin, spin, spin). But I played tag from VB lights to Temple with a roadie on a Tifosi with moderate success. So that's another inch clawed back.

Little idea of speeds at the moment - I've long since taken the powermeter head unit off the bike in disgust at the low figures I was turning out.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

8) I thank you. My thoughts were 'aha, rapid MTBer' You were doing about 25+ at the time. I love that bit of embankment, it's so fast if the traffic is flowing
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Nothing to report from Bucks/Berkshire apart from a slight increase in my average speed and a small moan about grumpy cyclists who never return the nod or hello. 1 bike from 8 responded, miserable barstewards.

p.s. Thanks to the Eddie Stobart driver who waited for me on the roundabout which meant I didn't lose momentum. Also a massive thanks to the driver who let me go ahead over the bridge and then lost his gap, I hope you saw and understood me saying thanks.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

8) I thank you. My thoughts were 'aha, rapid MTBer' You were doing about 25+ at the time. I love that bit of embankment, it's so fast if the traffic is flowing

Rapid, maybe. Knackered, definitely.

It's great, isn't it? :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Red wine clearly is a winner - 7 this morning! Even had to stop as my left knee is giving up, going to dull the pain with more Tesco, half price bottles of red....

Tesco! half price you say?

Less move this conversation to it's correct home, the Temperance Society page...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's my birthday.

Which makes me as old as Greg66

:shock: :shock: :shock:

How did that happen???
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Coriander wrote:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's my birthday.

How did that happen???

Happy Birthday have a fab day
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Coriander wrote:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's my birthday.

How did that happen???

Happy birthday

How'd that happen? I'd have thought by now you'd have worked it out....
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Coriander wrote:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's my birthday.

How did that happen???

But not as old as me!! Happy Birthday Cori :):)
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Coriander wrote:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's my birthday.

How did that happen???

Happy Birthday xx
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Coriander wrote:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's my birthday.

How did that happen???

Happy birthday, hope you have big lungs!

birthdaycakecandlespy3.jpg
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Nothing of any note today on the scalp front. However, I got beeped at around Vauxhall Cross for maintaining a middle lane position (safer). I told the guy to F off as he went by and got a brilliant spout of cockney geezer abuse back. Apparently I am a soppy f'ing 'schmock'. He also said if I said it again he would knock me off my bike (he lied).

What the hell is a 'schmock'!?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Sewinman wrote:

It is a loose fitting Dutch overgarment favoured by painters / drug users / horticulturalists.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Sewinman wrote:
    Nothing of any note today on the scalp front. However, I got beeped at around Vauxhall Cross for maintaining a middle lane position (safer). I told the guy to F off as he went by and got a brilliant spout of cockney geezer abuse back. Apparently I am a soppy f'ing 'schmock'. He also said if I said it again he would knock me off my bike (he lied).

I've had that happen before, but I was on the VB approaching it. I took the middle lane so I was in the 3rd at the end to head towards Brixton and some tw4t took exception, tooted me and got a dirty look. He then sped round and cut in last minute with no indicator!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    Happy birthday, Cori! :) Unlike Mr 66 though, you can still ride a bike, eh? :wink:

I ought to 'fess up to repeatedly using pretty foul language on Embankment this morning. It was directed at the coach driver who I felt unnecssarily tried to overtake a group of bikes (inc. me), only to be stopped very shortly afterwards at the ped crossing. He didn't take very kindly to me smacking the back of his coach when he stopped at the ped crossing after I'd managed to stop just short of said coach. My apologies to those who had to witness the language, but, to the driver, think twice before driving like that again, would you?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman wrote:

I've had that happen before, but I was on the VB approaching it. I took the middle lane so I was in the 3rd at the end to head towards Brixton and some tw4t took exception, tooted me and got a dirty look. He then sped round and cut in last minute with no indicator!

Yes i know the extact bit of road, its a nightmarish stretch. I was doing the same around the otherside and wanted to turn right to go towards the bridge.

I used to not go under the rail bridge via road , instead using the cycle lane that comes out by that gay pub, but its a bit of a hassle. Also - why on earth put raised cobbles at the end of those bike lanes!? They run in the same direction as the cycle lane and are a death trap for road bike wheels, particularly when wet.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm going for a SCR derivative: Silly commuter rage.

A women pulled out in front of me (she was on a road to the left trying to cross my lane to join the traffic going in the opposite direction). At no point did she look right (towards me) as she pulled out and she blocked the lane as there was a traffic on the lane she was trying to join.

If not for my new brake blocks and recent service I'd have gone over her bonnet so I shouted but with her window wound up and refusing to look at any potential oncoming traffic she ignored me. So I took my hand and banged on her car.

It pissed me off because she clearly had no where to go. Traffic was piled high on the lane she was attempting to join. Despite this she still pulled out and blocked the oncoming traffic causing another traffic jam. But not looking right (only left) as she did this was the icing on the cake.

This was on the same day I met Eleanor.

The next day, a poor sweet girl on a hybrid, was approaching some lights they were red. They turned green as she was about to stop so she continued. She did nothing wrong. One car from the left joining the main road (it was a junction) was still in turning mode and went through as his lights went red and our lights went green. Had he not done this he would have blocked traffic. A stupid women in a Golf followed this move (though she was well behind the line) not considering the oncoming traffic or the red light applying to her. She raced forward and had to brake sharply as sweet cycling girl was in front of her. The stupid witch had the cheek to beep at the poor girl.

I shouted back at the women "Can you not see your f*cking lights are red!" In my deepest loudest voice that stopped passers by....

The journey home, approaching a lights some stupid man swerved his car from the right lane to the left lane without indicating or looking and nearly drove me into the curb. I raced to the lights got my bike in front of him and gave him a windscreen full of f-words.

Today or perhaps yesterday. Some idiot in a Mercedes tried to overtake me a little too close along Clapham Common. He couldn't without knocking me over - he was that close - so backed off. I immediately put my bike in the middle of the lane and slowed the f*ckwit down until the lights. At the lights I gave him a chorus of f-words as well...

All in a week.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    SM, I occasionally use the cycle lane on the pavement on the far side leading towards Stockwell/Brixton but only if I get an advantage i.e. the lights have gone red for the cars otherwise I don't bother for that exact reason, those raised lines are hell on the 25C tyres!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm going for a SCR derivative: Silly commuter rage.

A women pulled out in front of me (she was on a road to the left trying to cross my lane to join the traffic going in the opposite direction). At no point did she look right (towards me) as she pulled out and she blocked the lane as there was a traffic on the lane she was trying to join.

If not for my new brake blocks and recent service I'd have gone over her bonnet so I shouted but with her window wound up and refusing to look at any potential oncoming traffic she ignored me. So I took my hand and banged on her car.

It pissed me off because she clearly had no where to go. Traffic was piled high on the lane she was attempting to join. Despite this she still pulled out and blocked the oncoming traffic causing another traffic jam. But not looking right (only left) as she did this was the icing on the cake.

This was on the same day I met Eleanor.

The next day, a poor sweet girl on a hybrid, was approaching some lights they were red. They turned green as she was about to stop so she continued. She did nothing wrong. One car from the left joining the main road (it was a junction) was still in turning mode and went through as his lights went red and our lights went green. Had he not done this he would have blocked traffic. A stupid women in a Golf followed this move (though she was well behind the line) not considering the oncoming traffic or the red light applying to her. She raced forward and had to brake sharply as sweet cycling girl was in front of her. The stupid witch had the cheek to beep at the poor girl.

I shouted back at the women "Can you not see your f*cking lights are red!" In my deepest loudest voice that stopped passers by....

The journey home, approaching a lights some stupid man swerved his car from the right lane to the left lane without indicating or looking and nearly drove me into the curb. I raced to the lights got my bike in front of him and gave him a windscreen full of f-words.

Today or perhaps yesterday. Some idiot in a Mercedes tried to overtake me a little too close along Clapham Common. He couldn't without knocking me over - he was that close - so backed off. I immediately put my bike in the middle of the lane and slowed the f*ckwit down until the lights. At the lights I gave him a chorus of f-words as well...

All in a week.

I can see you back yourself in a toe-to-toe!
  • Sewinman
    SM, I occasionally use the cycle lane on the pavement on the far side leading towards Stockwell/Brixton but only if I get an advantage i.e. the lights have gone red for the cars otherwise I don't bother for that exact reason, those raised lines are hell on the 25C tyres!

Same here, death trap cobbles - had a bum twitching moment just last night on them...and not cos of the gay pub or 'Hoist'! :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sewinman wrote:

Normally I'm pleasent and reasonable. When my mortality or the mortality of others comes into question my anger levels rises.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Greg66 wrote:
    ..a friend explained to me once that after you've had your first child, you claw back your former life, inch by inch, foot by foot, yard by yard.

B*gger...

I was getting there, then we had another one! Back to the start line :(:wink:
  • Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Normally I'm pleasent and reasonable. When my mortality or the mortality of others comes into question my anger levels rises.

Yeah me too, but its a matter of time until someone gets out of the car....and i get the impression you back yourself.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Irritatingly, its the ones who don't look and are blissfully unaware of your presence that are least worth 'blowing up' to, without at least explaining what they've done to nearly kill you.

Otherwise they end up telling all their colleagues etc about the 'lycra-lout' who swore at and 'threatened' them for absolutely no reason whatsoever! :(
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    The last few posts here look very ranty to me!

I'm about to start commuting to work, and from a brief browse of this board I look forward to some good banter :)

BUT I'm intrigued by this food chain wotsit! I can't quite work out where the bike I am soon-to-get will fit in... It's a Specialized Vita Sport - like their Sirrus range (basically flat-bar roadies) but with frames more fitted to girls. I'm also going to get mud guards fitted plus a rear rack so I can shove on a little 'rack pack' (as opposed to panniers, though I have one of those hanging around too). Is it a "fast hybrid"?

I think I end up putting myself at 8 (baggies, helmet/sunglasses, no accessories, likely toe-clips). Sound good?

Used to do a <2mile commute on a heavy hybrid/tourer... My new workplace is now 8+ miles away up and down a pretty big hill (hurrah Bristol!) so I've opted for a lighter bikes and some better gear...

PS: Virgin post!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Welcome sarajoy! Your FCN estimation sounds about right - the easiest way to check is using the citrus skies FCN calculator:

http://www.citrusskies.co.uk/fcn/

There is already a well established brizzle SCR so I imagine you'll fit right in :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • sarajoy wrote:
    BUT I'm intrigued by this food chain wotsit! I can't quite work out where the bike I am soon-to-get will fit in... It's a Specialized Vita Sport - like their Sirrus range (basically flat-bar roadies) but with frames more fitted to girls.

Are you a girl though? If not, it sounds like the salesman in your bike shop has had a right old bit of fun with you.
    sarajoy wrote:
    PS: Virgin post!

Welcome! Consider yourself now postally deflowered by the collective ... :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A