Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    I never see any bikes on my way into work. With the odd exception of one guy on an electric bike in orange high viz trouser and jacket for the last mile.

This sucks heh.
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I was just in M&S on Oxford Street and there was a man who looked EXACTLY like Greg T harassing women at the cashpoint.

"Hello, you look beautiful, what's your name?"
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Someone in the 'Road' forum is asking for advice on overtaking etiquette. Occurs to me that roadies have a lot to learn from commuters in that respect. Check out:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9#15128879
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Oddly, there wasn't much wind on embankment last evening. 31 is good (chapeau, sir) but you do get some free speed from the ramp down from chelsea bridge which you can maintain on the flat, especially if you are trying to scalp/remain unscalped ;)

That's the section that has the new and bumpy bit of tarmac about 2 feet away from the kerb, isn't it? I usually peel off at CB, but on days when I've not, riding along there always makes me think of the TdF on the Champs Elysee; you have to choose between primary or staying between the new strip and the kerb, and if you choose the latter, you can see yourself as the breakaway man hugging the kerb to stay off the cobbles, with the raging peloton bearing down on you...
    :lol: I know what you mean. Stupidly, I tend to go secondary along there all the while mentally berating shoddy highway repair

I tend to go secondary there. I got a rear view last week of the roadies desperately scrambling to find a backwheel on the secondary section. Hilarious. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    CJ, you're doing 31mph into a headwind on the flat now? Not that I don't believe you, but, well ;)

I've had a few decent spars in the last couple of days but nothing epic. My cruising speed seems to be back around normal but my stamina is still way off - anything 22mph+ and I can only last say 30 seconds and then need a lot longer to recover. I think some long rides are in order.
    Oddly, there wasn't much wind on embankment last evening. 31 is good (chapeau, sir) but you do get some free speed from the ramp down from chelsea bridge which you can maintain on the flat, especially if you are trying to scalp/remain unscalped ;)

Oddly, I didn't tonk it down the ramp as much as I could have, but I should have done because it would have made life a helluva lot easier further down the stretch! I was also on the tops of the bars. Because I wasn't trying. :wink: (Oh no, lungs weren't burning one bit..)
    Edit: working too hard at the moment and leaving the office late. Must have seen about 3 cyclists on my way home; no scalp action.
    Currently working from home trying not to open the big box with a Planet-X bike in it that got delivered this am

Open the box, open the box, open the box, open the box, open the box, open the box, open the box. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    25mins to go before the next wave of SCR assualts....

I need to get home as quickly before my girlfiriend so I can play th X-box or else I'll have to suffer Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, Eastenders and Corrie....

Beware!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    And on the way home: 5, I think. Nothing else about. I think a few were gutted to be scalped by a Wizard of OZ character on an SS....Had to MTFU up a couple of hills though in a strong headwind!

Roll on tomorrow!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    will all those who have bikes in boxes waiting to be built - stop c@cking <insert picture here> around and get on and put them together, did you buy a new bike because you have a strange fetish for unopened boxes - FREAKS!!!!

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Open the box

Going on....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Not sure what you're getting at ITB

;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    So far had the week from hell back commuting:

Pulled my hamstring on Monday

My light fell off

My MP3 Player stopped working (needed charging)

My Cycle computer stopped working

My rear wheel suffered some damage from a pothole (Spoke)

My front brake stuck on and I had to remove it

and this morning I woke up to a flat Tyre:

Add that to the soul destroying wind and its been the hardest week since I started, My reaction to that ? Go to bed early and get ready for more pain tomorrow lol

On some plus points, I got chatting to a commuter on the way home tonight (Never done that before)

A guy I see going the opposite direction to me normally nods at me and I nod back, Tonight he should "Hi" However I was at the top of the killer hill and all I could must in response was the most girly "hiya" So if your reading this, Sorry for sounding like a girl, I will MTFU tomorrow and throw out a butch "Hi"

and one final plus point, 2 scalps this week, One with a hella sore leg :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I need to get home as quickly before my girlfiriend so I can play th X-box or else I'll have to suffer Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, Eastenders and Corrie....

Beware!

No Corrie tonight :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Beware!

RIDE LIKE THE WIND !!!!!!!!! :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    So what FCN would a (cough) Trek Hybrid be?

Another question,

What is a "hilly" commute? I look at the average speeds and sometimes feel like weeping.

I think I am being pretty reasonable, given my commute, because I do seem to be pacing those who have better FCN numbers.

13-miles and 500 ft.

The headwind was a killer today
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    saw the guy from this morning again he saw me and started to gun it... cool more competition. I close the gap then put on some awesome and destroyed him... I think he was spent from this morning :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    I'm going to make my first ever SCR post, as I've had 4 scalps in the last week. 8)

Commuting against the flow into London, I don't normally get the chance, but there's a lot more cyclists on my route these days - a new office has opened in Leatherhead next to mine and along with more traffic (which makes cycling all the more beneficial compared to driving due to the congestion), there seem to be a few more cyclists going there.

Welcome OSK!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Any of you chaps take the Lower Richmond Road at about 7.20 tonight heading west, and ride a large celeste Bianchi roadie with a cartoon skull sticker on the seat tube? If so, do you normally cruise at 23.5mph through Putney Common or were you just showing off? I would have taken my pull but I'd have slowed us down significantly!
  • cjcp
    Clever Pun wrote:
    saw the guy from this morning again he saw me and started to gun it... cool more competition. I close the gap then put on some awesome and destroyed him... I think he was spent from this morning :lol:

:twisted:

He's got the fear now.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    I opened the box. Loads of luvverly stuff inside.
    However, it's as I feared: the headset wasn't fitted. Never done one before so googled for some fitting instructions (the headset came unboxed) and I found this:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15074489
    Dang!
    Over to wiggle* to get a crown race fitting tool...

* other online bike retailers are available
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    JG, it's possible to fit a crown race without the right tool, if you're feeling stingy :)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • cjcp
    Pic of the frame? :) (Otherwise, we don't believe you, see.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    girv73 wrote:
    JG, it's possible to fit a crown race without the right tool, if you're feeling stingy :)

Back to work! :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    Had a quick fettle but my numpty fingers couldn't keep the race straight. I seem to have run right out of plastic tubes
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    biondino wrote:
    I was just in M&S on Oxford Street and there was a man who looked EXACTLY like Greg T harassing women at the cashpoint.

"Hello, you look beautiful, what's your name?"

Sorry I'm so late - I've just got back - and wasn't she a complete stunner........

Can anyone lend me a grand until pay day? Champers at the Ritz doesn't come cheap and the paparrazi needed paying off.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

:twisted:

He's got the fear now.

:lol: I can't wait to see him when I'm geared up.... he'll get to hear the sound of the chorus clickclack yes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    Did he say "Mummy!" when your shadow (including the huge goatee shadow) consumed him?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Another question, What is a "hilly" commute? I look at the average speeds and sometimes feel like weeping. I think I am being pretty reasonable, given my commute, because I do seem to be pacing those who have better FCN numbers.

13-miles and 500 ft.
    How about my regular commute to Marsfield, NSW? It's 19.6km (12.17 miles) with (according to Bikely) 382m (1253ft) total climb and 328m (1076ft) total descent. My best average speed for the round trip is a pitiful 17.98kph (11.17mph). I blame the terrain, not my weedy legs, hollow chest and advancing years...

mfcmr0.th.jpg
    The homeward journey is worse, when that long green downhill section in the middle becomes a hideous red spirit-crushing climb. MTFU, right?
  • cjcp
    Hmmm. Might check out this Bikely site. Mine depends quiit substantially (in London terms) on the route take.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Into work is 730ft over 14.8 miles (my odometer says 14.1m), one route home is 765ft over 15 miles. Can increase the latter to over 1,000ft over only another 3-4 miles by doing a loop with a couple more reps of a steep hill. It's all heavily loaded at the start of the route on the way in and near the end on the way back.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Gave it some death this morning. Overtook everything and clipped a van mirror with my backpack. Left a wake of MTB's and 2 roadies....eat my SS trail of destruction suckers! Quite enjoyed being top dog this morning and giving a Mondeo a run for it's money off the lights - although that near killed me.

Have a good Friday all.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Another question, What is a "hilly" commute?

I've 8ish miles, 500ft climb on the way home (short route). On a knobbly MTB and pre-manflu, I was averaging just under 14mph.
    Today is a good day to ride