Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    or a MASSHOOF

man_with_a_very_big_cock.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Oh I'd imagine so.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    And don't forget...if someone's being a

wood%20door%20knob.jpg

then you really should let them know
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I think we've taken our off-topicness to a new level now, including a lovely story from Blackworx there!
    Well I'm about 4 minutes from setting off home in the lovely wet conditions I can see from the office window!

I just think we should use ghey (meaning lame, see my earlier post.......) and leave the word gay for it's proper usage!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Right!

<< Cracks knuckles >>

<snip>

Therefore in some ways (though secretly I struggle to admit it and have tried to argue this from every possible angle to come to the opposite outcome) Biondino is right.

<< Runs screaming >>

Now *that* is funny.

And sooooo gay :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Whilst we're still vaguely in the area of humour (are we ever really that far away from it on this thread??) I'd like to post this sign up, which I found whilst at a penny arcade at Wookie Hole caves last year whilst on the family holiday - not to the caves I might add, we stayed at the Centre Parcs in Longleat and this was our excursion!

IMG_4835.jpg

I couldn't resist a small chuckle and even the wife had a bit of a giggle when she saw it - the sign that is ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • blackworx
    blackworx Posts: 123
    I think we've taken our off-topicness to a new level now, including a lovely story from Blackworx there!
    :oops: TMI sorry got a bit carried away there. Just as well no one decided to respond in kind.
    Well I'm about 4 minutes from setting off home in the lovely wet conditions I can see from the office window!
    Thankfully the rain was off here and for some reason everyone seemed quite chilled on the roads tonight.
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Attica wrote:
    Adjudication required please folks:-

This morning I had a lot of anger to work off

By the way, I've still got excess anger to get rid of, be warned Bristol.

What's the matter, petal? Come on, you can tell Auntie Cori...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Coriander wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    Adjudication required please folks:-

This morning I had a lot of anger to work off

By the way, I've still got excess anger to get rid of, be warned Bristol.

What's the matter, petal? Come on, you can tell Auntie Cori...

Nothing like a bit of fire in the belly to up your average speed! I had a flier one morning after an early morning dis-agreement with my other half :twisted: Still it's not in keeping with the games cardinal rule (or should this be Prime Directive, ala Star Trek?) RIDE SAFELY!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    so, I guess that getting a lift with the wife on Monday morning and getting the train to Paddington on Tuesday does not count then?

Dog exploded at about 3am on Monday morning - she got the squits.....ceaning up dog poo all morning and could not be fagged with cycling....

Tuesday, I had to leave at 6am to get to the station in my lovely suit, that I have not worn since my wedding.....

back to the grind tomorrow and I feel the need for speed......well, as much as I can muster after this bottle of red.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The highlight of this evening's commute, other than claiming the scalp of a lovely Serrotta :D, was doing a roadie all ends up on Bolan Death Crash Bridge.

He'd tucked in behind me on Lower Richmond Road, on the slope off Putney Bridge. Past the Duke's Head, he slowly edged along side me - he was visibly digging in. He passed. Just. And then that awful thing called the wind began to take its toll on him. Funny that. :lol:

He slowed further and then I saw him switch to the 39. Game over, so I checked for traffic before making my move. But then the traffic lights went red. I stopped, but he went through. I watched him ride on. Turn left at the common, turn left at the common, I thought. Do that, and you're mine, sunshine. He turned left at the common. You're mine. :twisted:

Hammered it after him. He was spent after his little effort earlier and I was catching him. I then saw him riding with no hands. Onto the incline of the BDC Bridge and I'm quickly up alongside. He looks across and does what seems to be a double take. And he's up out of the saddle. Too little, too late. :twisted: To his shame, he then RLJ agains on the Upper Richmond Road.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • In the spirit of the evening I shall digress also.....

Todays commute

Chingford ..walk...train...>tube....>Office...tube....>train to Reading....CAR......>Chingford

Got my motor back, been on loan for a month, felt tooooooo good.................

1st day this year :P in the motor! time to Ribble up and get back in the saddle

"None Shall Pass"
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Had my first commute of 2009 this morning! Left it rather late in the year, but I don't like to go out if it's frosty, and wanted to see if we've finally left last week's cold snap behind. I have to commute 7 times per month to break even on the ride to work scheme - time to get properly back into it next week I think.

Made it from Manor down to kingsland Road without putting a foot down, and managed a 3.5 second trackstand at one of the lights. Baby steps for me.

[offtopic]Biodino is totally right about using the word 'gay' in a negative sense - it isn't acceptable. To my shame I used it that way a fair amount in 2008. A new resolution for 2009: No more using 'Gay' as an insult. Who's with me?[/offtopic]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Lovely tailwind in this morning :)

Are you sitting comfortably? Then, I'll begin. It all began on Cheyne Walk. I overtook a bimbling roadie with a cheery nod and hand lift. I spun along Chelsea embankment at 27-28 only dropping to 26 over Chelsea bridge. All the while the bimbler had turned into a fairy of the drafting, not gay but maybe ghey, kind. Chapeau, said I, until he RLJd the last lights before the Vauxhall bridge crossroads: Chapoo!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    The highlight of this evening's commute, other than claiming the scalp of a lovely Serrotta :D, was doing a roadie all ends up on Bolan Death Crash Bridge.

He'd tucked in behind me on Lower Richmond Road, on the slope off Putney Bridge. Past the Duke's Head, he slowly edged along side me - he was visibly digging in. He passed. Just. And then that awful thing called the wind began to take its toll on him. Funny that. :lol:

He slowed further and then I saw him switch to the 39. Game over, so I checked for traffic before making my move. But then the traffic lights went red. I stopped, but he went through. I watched him ride on. Turn left at the common, turn left at the common, I thought. Do that, and you're mine, sunshine. He turned left at the common. You're mine. :twisted:

Hammered it after him. He was spent after his little effort earlier and I was catching him. I then saw him riding with no hands. Onto the incline of the BDC Bridge and I'm quickly up alongside. He looks across and does what seems to be a double take. And he's up out of the saddle. Too little, too late. :twisted: To his shame, he then RLJ agains on the Upper Richmond Road.
    Eh? Through Putney you say? Does not compute
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    cjcp wrote:

Good one
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    edited January 2009
    The crater of death!

Has opened on the east bound section running into the big Vauxhall crossroads, opposite side to the Death Star Canyon.

Just at the last junction before the final wide section. must be a foot and a half across and 2 inches deep or if you work in metric about a foot wide and 2 inches deep.

Beware Embankers - that big boy will ruin someone's day.

On another matter - the black ming of death (I'm getting into "of deaths" a lot.)

Now the mini ice age is over and we are back into business as usual general wetness the accumulated salt and crud has lifted from the road and is covering me, my bike and anything we come into contact with in the back crud of death.

If I wasn't in my "I'm getting canned soon - spend no money" mode I'd get a Kircher Power washer thing and hose down everything I own this weekend. However since I'm stockpiling baked beans and preparing for the end of civilisation I'll just have to makedo with a bucket of soapy water and a bonfire.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    Jon - 27-28? :shock: Look out Mr66.

Was back on the road bike this morning. slogged my guts out to get to those lights again and again towed a roadie the whole length of the stretch from Westminster, but did this one say "thanks"? :? )

Oh, anyone else appreciate this morning that fog and glasses just don't mix?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:
    The crater of death!

Has opened on the east bound section running into the big Vauxhall crossroads, opposite side to the Death Star Canyon.

Just at the last junction before the final wide section. must be a foot and a half across and 2 inches deep or if you work in metric about a foot wide and 2 inches deep.

It's a fluffing nightmare. :evil: There was a leak there over New Year and after some preliminary work i.e. men standing around it, pointing and scratching their chins, they stopped the leak. Now they just need to fill it. Cr*apwits.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Eh? Through Putney you say? Does not compute

Oh yes. He blew. Spectacularly.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Had my first commute of 2009 this morning!

Back in The Game! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    Tailwind and I was kinda trying to blow the legs off the drafting fairy. Didn't work dagnammit. Last night homewards was quite a bit slower ;)
    cjcp wrote:
    Was back on the road bike this morning. slogged my guts out to get to those lights again and again towed a roadie the whole length of the stretch from Westminster, but did this one say "thanks"? :? )
    Most peeps I pass get the JG patented nod and hand raise, whether I've drafted or not. Manners, really.
    cjcp wrote:
    Oh, anyone else appreciate this morning that fog and glasses just don't mix?
    Oh yes
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Anyone who drops onto the ickle ring through Putney needs floggiing ragged.

Children could have seen it for God's sake, they'll grow up thinking that the ickle ring is an acceptable option. Before you know it they'll be mainlining energy drinks to pop out to shops for a pint of milk.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Tailwind and I was kinda trying to blow the legs off the drafting fairy. Didn't work dagnammit. Last night homewards was quite a bit slower ;)

Ok. Feel better now. :)

Most peeps I pass get the JG patented nod and hand raise, whether I've drafted or not. Manners, really.

Exactly. Manners. Out of interest, are you commuting on a red, geared bike atm?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Red wine clearly is a winner - 7 this morning! Even had to stop as my left knee is giving up, going to dull the pain with more Tesco, half price bottles of red....
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Here's a new one on me...apparently if someone's drafting me really closely and I put my brakes on....it's my fault that they almost go into the back of me...it also permits them to threaten me with violence for riding dangerously.

Well according to the nice chap I met along Grosvenor Road last night.

Learn somethign new everyday eh!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    so I'm on my way home last night and I spot a rider, with lights and tootling along... get closer, is it a slicked mtb?..... oh no... it's a single speed !!! game on

so we're on the lower slopes of the cheetham hill, and I take him - on the tops of the bars, say 'evening' and carry on my way - easy, job done? not so easy as it turns out.

halfway through the shops in cheetham hill where the rules of the road do not apply to anyone, he catches me in the traffic and we stop at lights for a chat. He's firmly against RLJing, I like this guy... and we're off again

I make no mistake this time

I set off, making sure I don't get out of the saddle, I don't look back apart from legitimate traffic checks and he's dropping away

your hairpiece kind sir !
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Nothing of real note this morning an easy roady... there was a fast mtb'er I was hoping he would take a tourer ahead of us but his great acceleration failed to deliver any top speed

I noticed a row of 5 cyclists all with yellow jackets on reminded me of a duck and ducklings all waddling along

Last night I found a pick of Greg66 :lol:
    old-gregg.jpg

Anyone else get an email from Matthew Cole asking about using your commuter bike in an article?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    Here's a new one on me...apparently if someone's drafting me really closely and I put my brakes on....it's my fault that they almost go into the back of me...it also permits them to threaten me with violence for riding dangerously.

Well according to the nice chap I met along Grosvenor Road last night.

Learn somethign new everyday eh!

Wow. I would have lost it. Big time. I take great exception to people like that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I also found that glasses and fog don't mix, but also found that the fog seemed to be scared of Brixton as it's magically vanished when I got to the A23 from Tulse Hill this morning :-)
    Visibility was very hindered at the start of my commute, especially as I climbed the roads towards the top of Crystal Palace and down towards Upper Norwood on the first half of the commute this morning.

Nothing major to report due to a total lack of bikes until Brixton. Found a fast roadie on the main road but traffic and another bike behind me meant that the need to ride safely saved his scalp as we parted ways before I could do him.

Got a bit irked at the first set of lights on South Lambeth Road as I'd just blitzed a load of bikes on the run up to them (nothing of interest FCN wise) only for 2 or 3 of them to go ahead of me in the ASL. Lights went green and I stomped on the pedals, binning the lot of them including the stupid pavement riding ninja on his MTB who jumped onto the road as the lights changed (to his credit he was going some). I do remember saying "If your gonna go ahead at least try and stay ahead!" as I pulled past - not sure if anyone heard me cos I didn't have much company out in front :-)

I've also decided now that I'm never going back to the SM+ tyres, having ridden on the new Conti's for a week now the ride is so much nicer on them it's really hard to believe, need to check the pressures this evening as I'm sure I'm getting a bit to much bounce but they just roll SSSOOOOO nicely, so a big thank you to CJCP for his recommedations on the other thread ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5