Silly commuting racing

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    AdiMac wrote:
    Well Yokels I'll be ploding along the Feeder road next week as my C2W voucher has come and I hope to get my new bike on Sunday. So if you want an easy sclap come find me :D:D

Give me a time and I'll give it a go, watch out for a SS MTB ridden by somebody in jeans and Hi Viz bomber jacket with safety boots on.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DDD what does your conscience say?

deep down only you know :wink:

Don't sweat it I flogged myself almost to death today only to do an avg of 17MPH, very weak & tired now :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Good battle DDD and after my glorious run down to Stockwell today I can also confirm the quality of prey was good this evening!
    I had some incredible luck at Vauxhall cross in that I somehow managed to arrive at the south side with NO TRAFFIC in the lane I wanted to use HOWZAH!

Using the space I engage the afterburners for a lovely high speed run past the bus garage before nipping into the ASL to go towards Brixton. As I arrive at the line I spot another roadie on a nice blue bike. No sooner had I had a chance to give him a once over and the lights change.

I follow him round, not wanting to pass as I can hear a car revving behind us, who promptly does a rather reasonable distance pass before tucking back in for the red light ahead. Seeing this I plan my exit strategy and use the lowered kerb to get onto the shared use bike path and follow 2 other cyclist to bypass the red light and the other roadie. Not a scalp but I kept my momentum and besides there was another roadie up ahead!

I kept these 2 guys in their place for the length of South Lambeth Road before we parted ways by Stockwell tube as I headed down towards Brixton and they carried on down towards Clapham/Balham.

After Brixton I spotted a couple of flickering lights ahead on the little incline (it's not REALLY a hill) so I set about eating into the gap between me and them. As I get closer I spot they are both road bikes! As I get closer the lights ahead change and they stop and as I approach I realize they are actually chatting to each other and being quite sociable, I ditch them both but my conscience tells me it's not a double scalp as they where clearly having a bimble!

Mixed it up a bit with a RLJing MTB through Streatham, who despite serial RLJing didn't manage to shake me!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I don't look in here for 24 hours and its 8 pages further on! Chapeau to the lot of you...
    Got a bit irked at the first set of lights on South Lambeth Road as I'd just blitzed a load of bikes on the run up to them (nothing of interest FCN wise) only for 2 or 3 of them to go ahead of me in the ASL. Lights went green and I stomped on the pedals, binning the lot of them including the stupid pavement riding ninja on his MTB who jumped onto the road as the lights changed (to his credit he was going some). I do remember saying "If your gonna go ahead at least try and stay ahead!" as I pulled past - not sure if anyone heard me cos I didn't have much company out in front :-)

I feel your pain! I had the same think just before The Cut at the back of Waterloo. A MTB pushes past at the lights and then spectacularly fails to accelerate away from the lights, which elicited pretty much exactly the same words from my mouth. Mupwits!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Hells teeth, 8 pages since my drivel last night.......................the posts get decidedly less ranty by the last 2 or pages. With the exception of Gregg66 the red wine must be kicking in and people calming down.

I shall try not to rant.........................

Having battled for several miles with some chap on a fixer from Tottenham to Holloway this misinformed commuter decides to undertake me with me being max 4 foot from the kerb on a bus lane with no traffic on the outside. Imagine my surprise :shock:

I take he was getting frustrated by my relentless thraping of his @rse despite his constant RLJing and wanted to make a point. Obviously I wanted to make a point back, but not quite in the manner he choose. Having battered him up Holloway hill we pootle a bit in the traffic then its an easy 27mph down the slope to Camden. BIg ring but only halfway down the back cogs. He appeared not have anyway near the cadence he wanted or needed. :D

Fast trip home but some small child crossed the road on a balance bike without looking and I not entirely sure how I missed him, :shock: God was smiling

If I see mr fixer again I am going to make him up his game big style!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the rest of your evening folks and welcome to the new fodder, whilst you are not on my usual route, you never know the hour of the day

Regards

DD
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :shock: Oo, that felt quick tonight. And, Hell's teeth! there was a fast SSer tonight. Two, in fact, but one of them was pure sh*t off a stick. On the road bike again now, so a bit more amongst it. :twisted:

First SSer was engaged after Parlt Square. He was very nippy. Pursued him along DSC and my progress was halted by the lights at the end of DSC. We re-grouped at Chelsea Bridge, and others pulled up too.

He goes on amber and I go after him once it's green. I catch him half way along the stretch to Albert Bridge. But I'm passing him slowly, and I'm doing 31mph (I don't if it's a headwind, but I was blowing more than usual). He latches on to my wheel. We slow for the lights and he passes him during the go slow. So does a roadie on a Ribble, who subsequently drops us both in the filtering after Battersea Bridge, but he looks every bit the part and I doubt he needed to chase to hard to catch us. :shock:

On to NKR and the race and chase continues. But there's now another SSer, wearing an Oceania top, and he goes past me. Christ, he was quick. I go past him again before Putney Bridge, but I remain in a hard gear going up the Bridge and he overtakes with ease. (I've also <cough> got a heavy backpack tonight 'cos I've brougt work home.) The original SSer is right behind me, showing no signs of fatigue. Bl00dy hell, I think.

The Lower Richmond Rd continues at the same pace, with the Oceania SSer heading the field, but then a new roadie joins us - the same drafting fairy on a red Giant that I've seen on and off for the past year. This chap irritates me - he has no manners. He drafts anyone and everyone, never says thank you and when I've previously gestured to him to go past, he's not done so. As I said, irritating.

He jumps ahead onto Oceania SSer's wheel and stays there. They get to Putney Common and, I'm about 5 yards behind and a yard or two outside of them overtaking some hybrids. He's still drafting, so I decide to try to make a point. I bust a hump just to get alongside the SSer and tell him to take a tow because the fairy behind him ain't gona do any work. While trying to speak, I'm very conscious that my legs are hurting and I'm blowing more than I'd like (i.e. lots). I hit the front and stay there. I daren't look back in case the awesome SSer is right behind me and I slow, causing him to swerve. I lead up Bolan Death Crash Bridge and I feel like crying. I get to the next lights and would dearly love to sit down. Giant Boy is still there - he's fast enough to hang on, but that's it - and I have no intention of him sitting on my wheel through Sheen, so move slowly off the lights and he goes first.

The first SSer was plenty fast, but the second was even faster. I hope to God he was a Cat 1 or 2 rider. Had he been on a geared bike, no one would have come close. Chapeau to them both. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    edited January 2009
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I need a ruling:

Old-ish guy on a cough *Trek Hybrid* cough on the stretch between Balham and Tooting Bec tube Station.

Did he reclaim his scalp?

Oh dear, oh dear, oh deary me. :)

I don't think you technically scalped him, so he didn't so much as reclaim his as very nearly claim yours. :twisted:

Verdict: must try harder!

EDIT: This obviously coming from a man who got his a&rse kicked sixty ways to Sunday during this evening's commute. :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    From the Wiggins autobiography:

"Dossard: one of many derisive terms used to describe a rider who never takes a turn at the front, but always allows himself to be pulled along by the other riders. A wheel sucker."
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gosh, you have been busy today... Happy Birthday Cori!

And welcome to the fresh meat... er... I mean... new posters. Typo. The keys are like right next to each other...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The noobs are in Yokel land, if you're a good girl they might come to MA and play at mecca for you.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    AdiMac wrote:
    I'm mid 30's, 6'3", blue eyes...

Just getting back on a bike after about 10 years, last time I had a GT Zaskar and nearly lost all my front teeth on some rocks.

You could be me, if you were 5" shorter :roll:

And still had the Zaskar 8)

Welcome :)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • cjcp
    Oi! I thought you were meant to be buildng a bike? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • girv73
    I wish :cries:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Last night:

Great race with a Roadie on the way home, He takes me while I am waiting at a RAB with traffic lights - I assess him as he goes ahead and think "yeah, he is mine". Drop a couple of gears and just wind him in slowly - get to the top of the next hill where I catch him, then just leave him on the following flat - nice and clean SCR.

This morning I broke out the SS. Overtook numerous Road, Audax, Hybrid and MTB's - then got scalped by another SS on a downhill section.....I was gutted. Decided that he was gonna get some, but my fecking pager went off and I had to stop and phone into work.....bollox, this on-call shit is ruining my game...! First time I have been scalped in a year (not that I see many people out there!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hold on a minute ...
    and I'm doing 31mph

WTF - in a car I hope or at the very least downhill !?!?!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Good ride in this morning my bike was citrus fresh from a good chain cleaning last night, the roads were mainly traffic free and the black ooze has seemed to have gone.

A little adjudication if you please

On the fixed today and I saw a roadie ahead of me but he had a pannier… so I got past him easily enough obviously waking up his competitive gland and he’s back past me fairly sharply I ramp up the revolutions and stay with him get comfortable at the speed then turn it up a notch and head back past him… after a couple of traffic lights he takes me again and then I put the hammer down and give it some fast spinning and leave him behind I even got through a traffic lights turning amber and he didn’t: victory was mine… is it a scalp though? He was wearing discovery channel shorts but although he was fast I think I ended up just defending my honour so to speak

Still great fun and we both obeyed the laws of the game which is refreshing

Oh yes later on a girl with reflective tabard, ill fitting helmet etc cruised through a red light where a good 5 of us were waiting as I passed her after the lights changed I gave a left handed ‘tut tut I’m disappointed in you’ finger wag…. Amused me enough that I’m going to start doing it more

Edit: DDD he reclaimed it, you were dead in the water and only turning off saved face honours even I think... if you had stayed on the route he'd have done you like a kipper
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    strangely quiet on road today.

breezed past a retro rapha chap on his fixie at bolan bridge. he's got the whole look going on... rapha coat, rapha plus fours, brooks leather saddle and brown leather saddle bag.. all he needs is an old leather cornish pie helmet!

apart from that there was a blondie girl on a bianchi on the millbank wind tunnel and not much else.

really the only competition was against myself, due to the 4 pints and 5 hours sleep. oops. :oops:
    Always in stealth mode
  • The driver I had this morning took me down my usual commute route. There were so many bikes!

I was so jealous. :(
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    Hold on a minute ...
    and I'm doing 31mph

WTF - in a car I hope or at the very least downhill !?!?!

Nope. It was flat. 8) But clearly not enough to shake the attentions of others. :shock:

Good ride this morning. Had club kit on so had to ride with a certain amount of urgency.

@MartinC - Was a bit quiet, wasn't it?.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    CJCP wrote:
    I lead up Bolan Death Crash Bridge and I feel like crying.

:lol: This made me laugh!
    LiTs wrote:
    The driver I had this morning took me down my usual commute route. There were so many bikes!

Was this a Cab driver or more like Bruce Wayne's Alfred?

@CleverPun and ITBoffin: He did me, I tried to win on a technicality... pathetic really, I need to "man up"... which brings me to my next post. All 878 words of it!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    Wow what a commute I had this morning!

For every day we edge closer and closer to summer three more cyclists set upon the open roads.

I set off on my commute and headed towards South Wimbledon. Picked up an old guy on a hybrid and a younger old guy (about the Greg’s age, which I consider commuting prime) on a red Cannodale Capo (single speed). They maintained a nice pace around 17-18mph. I dropped the Hybrid (with ease) on the lead up to Tooting Broadway.

When I got to the Tooting Bec/Balham drag strip me and Capo picked up another two riders and a girl already waiting at the lights. With the lights red I filter to the ASL, a quick check over the shoulder and there are more cyclists jpoing us than I have time to count.
    Green

I accelerate to awesome speed and manage to save my scalp from all but one; a shapely guy on a red Klein (I like to think his name was Calvin) comes shooting past me as I drop down from awesome speed to something a little more manageable – even the Enterprise 1701D (Captain Picard’s first Enterprise) couldn’t maintain warp indefinitely.

We cruise along the drag strip to Balham tube where we filter to the front. To my surprise I pull up beside 8 (yes EIGHT) other cyclist. They're all lined up abreast the ASL. That road I said no amount of MTFU chants would get me to SCR in my previous post… Well I may have overstretched that comment…
    Green

I put so much power down on my right crank I didn’t even feel my left foot clip-in. Worried about this I do a quick check, greeted only with surprise. I wonder if I had been so engrossed with SCR at the lights I had somehow subconsciously learned to trackstand. Too much thinking, Calvin was the only target ahead of me and we’re approaching Balham hill and I’m determined not to give up anymore scalps.

Disaster, a lorry turns out of the petrol station and blocks both lanes. This makes me stop and the f*ckers behind are able to pass without slowing as by the time they reach me there is enough room to get through. Still, Clapham South/Clapham Common drag strip looms next.

Surprisingly the drag strip is laden heavy with traffic and to top it all off I’ve lost sight of Calvin. I persevere and halfway along a brief opening allows me to drop some stink onto my pedals. I tear through the guys that overtook me on the hill to reassert my Alpha cyclist status over them! I catch up to Calvin, match him for speed but have to turn right towards Acre Lane.

Acre Lane and the first part of Cold Harbour Lane are devoid of any life.

Along Cold Harbour Lane I encounter a situation at Loughborough Junction. A lorry immediately in front of me is indicating left. I aim my bike to go around the right hand side of him and the idiot turns right. I break find myself behind him again and then he switches into reverse! A quick course correction to go along the inside of him and I’ve confirmed Jedi’s do exist! I hold back from swearing, yesterdays conversation with Sewinman made me realise I do need to mellow just a tad bit more.

I pull up at the lights, a lady that saw the whole thing rolls towards me and tells me that it was dangerous – I suspect both on my part and the drivers – she then continued to offer advice about being careful, not to ride on the inside of lorry’s and buses as that’s where most accidents happen etc. I did appreciate it and I would have spoken to her more but in front of us was a girl all lycra’d on a racer so engrossed and in the zone of speed she was doing circles around the crossing (now that is hard to do) waiting for the lights to go green.
    Amber

She’s a racer alright; FCN check has got to be as close to zero as you can get without being a Greg: clips, lycra kit, glasses, helmet and Deuter race bag so small you could fit more in a wallet.

She’s not quite Eleanor, I mean she was fast but Eleanor had so much lashings of power she must have had actual horses living in her thighs! I ride up beside her to check her bike out (the name escapes me but had Boxer written on the top tube – does anyone know this bike?). I contemplated scalping her. I didn’t, she was incredibly good looking and matching her for speed (riding slightly behind her at the 5 o'clock position) was a nice place to be… and a great way to end this morning commute.

She checks her right shoulder a couple of times and I get the impression I’m bothering her, I turn off right towards work and draw a close on a refreshing and wondrous morning commute to work!

(Word Count: 848)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I was scalped last night by a fixie :shock: Riding towards Shooters Hill, it starts as a gentle incline, and slowly ramps up. Due to weight of the traffic I was quite happily riding along the centre of the road when I spied anotehr road up ahead, realising I was going significantly faster than him I decided to have a scalp. Passing him I glanced over and it was a very nice fixie in red, although I didn;t notice the name of the frame. Passing him I felt quite pleased with myself, untill a little further up the road he came past me at a rate of knots, he must have been spinning at 120 rpm plus. the first thing I thought was oh bugger, and then chapeau to you sir, spinning a fixie uphill at that rate was truly impressive.

Unfortunately he turned off before the hill really ramps up to about 1:16, and I could get my scalp back. :evil: Next time I'll be ready
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    CJCP - Sounds like you had a proper battle on your hands there!

Epic journey DDD, wish mine was that interesting this morning :-(

Despite my extended ride (i've already been into London and back....) I didn't encounter much that could be classed as opposition.
    Had a bit of thrilling riding through Brixton after I managed to sling the bike through a narrowing gap between a bus and the kerb, very silly looking back on it now but I was buggered if I was losing my momentum!!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • girv73
    DDD, I think you can claim the 8000th post on this thread!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    CJ, you're doing 31mph into a headwind on the flat now? Not that I don't believe you, but, well ;)

I've had a few decent spars in the last couple of days but nothing epic. My cruising speed seems to be back around normal but my stamina is still way off - anything 22mph+ and I can only last say 30 seconds and then need a lot longer to recover. I think some long rides are in order.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    CJ, you're doing 31mph into a headwind on the flat now? Not that I don't believe you, but, well ;)

I've had a few decent spars in the last couple of days but nothing epic. My cruising speed seems to be back around normal but my stamina is still way off - anything 22mph+ and I can only last say 30 seconds and then need a lot longer to recover. I think some long rides are in order.
    Oddly, there wasn't much wind on embankment last evening. 31 is good (chapeau, sir) but you do get some free speed from the ramp down from chelsea bridge which you can maintain on the flat, especially if you are trying to scalp/remain unscalped ;)

Edit: working too hard at the moment and leaving the office late. Must have seen about 3 cyclists on my way home; no scalp action.
    Currently working from home trying not to open the big box with a Planet-X bike in it that got delivered this am
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    On last night's ride home, I felt like I'd fallen into an episode of Mr. Bean...

It's the middle of summer here at the moment, so normally I'm riding home in daylight, but last night I had to work late and it was fully dark by the time I left. So I dig my primary light out and mount it, press the switch and... no lumens. At all. Dead as a hammer. No worries, thinks I, I'll mount my back-up. So I clamp it on to my fork crown mount, flick it on and set off.

My back-up is a bit feeble, so I'm taking it easy, but there seem to be no other bikes around to race anyway. Then I take the first sharp corner and my light goes out! Damn! I stop, check it, turn it on again and everything looks OK. Off I go again, and flink at the next sharp turn it goes out again. This time though, I spot what happened.

The backup light has a switch that pokes up above the lamp's housing and it only requires a light sideways push to operate it. Since I last used it, I've changed the handlebars on the bike, and the brake and gear cables looping down to the frame now hang just low enough to trip the switch as I steer... Fortunately I carry a roll of electrical tape with me, so I could tape the switch, but... :x

Today it was 40C in the city and SCR was suspended...
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Oddly, there wasn't much wind on embankment last evening. 31 is good (chapeau, sir) but you do get some free speed from the ramp down from chelsea bridge which you can maintain on the flat, especially if you are trying to scalp/remain unscalped ;)

That's the section that has the new and bumpy bit of tarmac about 2 feet away from the kerb, isn't it? I usually peel off at CB, but on days when I've not, riding along there always makes me think of the TdF on the Champs Elysee; you have to choose between primary or staying between the new strip and the kerb, and if you choose the latter, you can see yourself as the breakaway man hugging the kerb to stay off the cobbles, with the raging peleton bearing down on you...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

That's the section that has the new and bumpy bit of tarmac about 2 feet away from the kerb, isn't it? I usually peel off at CB, but on days when I've not, riding along there always makes me think of the TdF on the Champs Elysee; you have to choose between primary or staying between the new strip and the kerb, and if you choose the latter, you can see yourself as the breakaway man hugging the kerb to stay off the cobbles, with the raging peloton bearing down on you...
    :lol: I know what you mean. Stupidly, I tend to go secondary along there all the while mentally berating shoddy highway repair
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I'm going to make my first ever SCR post, as I've had 4 scalps in the last week. 8)

Commuting against the flow into London, I don't normally get the chance, but there's a lot more cyclists on my route these days - a new office has opened in Leatherhead next to mine and along with more traffic (which makes cycling all the more beneficial compared to driving due to the congestion), there seem to be a few more cyclists going there.