Silly commuting racing

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    I can see you back yourself in a toe-to-toe!

Normally I'm pleasent and reasonable. When my mortality or the mortality of others comes into question my anger levels rises.

Yeah me too, but its a matter of time until someone gets out of the car....and i get the impression you back yourself.

I'm not a small man, but I don't particularly want to fight, physically, with anyone. But you have to understand the sheer disregard for road safety I often encounter on my commute.

I don't understand what you mean by 'back yourself' (its almost South London-ish in it's structure). If you mean do I think I would win or not back down in a fight. Any fight on the street (and I have seen many many fights) usually comes down to luck of the draw, external influences and how far you are willing to go to win - like when I was in secondary school and one boy sank his teeth into another boys lower regions.... Sure it was extremely queer (can we get a PC brigade ruling on the use of the word queer) and he suffered years of accusations relating to a certain act of pleasure... but he won the fight....

BUT honestly, I've left that life behind me, I'm no Tookie Williams. I'd much rather look at art, analyse a film, debate/argue thoughts and opinions with educated rational people than slugging it out with nuckle dragging evolutionary throwbacks. That said if you can't hurl abuse at your fellow man for endangering your life and stressing you out, then what can you do.... It's not healthy to internalise it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    sarajoy wrote:
    The last few posts here look very ranty to me!

I rant a lot. I also type incredibly amounts and most of the stuff I say contradicts the other stuff I say.

Welcome!
    I'm about to start commuting to work

You have embarked upon one of the secret pleasures of life. I hope you love it and would encourage you (at your own pace) to submerge yourself in the wonders of cycling, Bike radar and SCR.

It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Side comment: The 09' Sirrus and the ladies version are fast hybrids with a frame (shape) loosely based on the Allez road bike - I think...
    PS: Virgin post!

:shock: Was it as good for you as it was me? :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    edited January 2009
    sarajoy wrote:
    The last few posts here look very ranty to me!

I'm about to start commuting to work, and from a brief browse of this board I look forward to some good banter :)

BUT I'm intrigued by this food chain wotsit! I can't quite work out where the bike I am soon-to-get will fit in... It's a Specialized Vita Sport - like their Sirrus range (basically flat-bar roadies) but with frames more fitted to girls. I'm also going to get mud guards fitted plus a rear rack so I can shove on a little 'rack pack' (as opposed to panniers, though I have one of those hanging around too). Is it a "fast hybrid"?

I think I end up putting myself at 8 (baggies, helmet/sunglasses, no accessories, likely toe-clips). Sound good?

Used to do a <2mile commute on a heavy hybrid/tourer... My new workplace is now 8+ miles away up and down a pretty big hill (hurrah Bristol!) so I've opted for a lighter bikes and some better gear...

Welcome! Today is a particularly ranty today. Aside from DDD ( :wink: ), we're a very tame bunch. Must have been the fog this morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I yelled at a moped rider once who was on my right in an ASL and turned left without indicating when the lights changed. I was so loud that he looked back from 10 yards up the road :shock:

I did try standing up for myself once, but once the guy got out of his car in the petrol station - he didn't like being called a fecking pr1ck for some reason, despite undertaking several cars in the bus lane and nearly killing me twice :evil: - I thought better of it and made a sharpish exit with him trying to kick out my back wheel!

Now I work on the basis that I can yell at them and make them aware of what they did in a vain hope they won't do it again and use the adrenaline to scalp some innocent cyclists over the next 10 minutes while I ride it off!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:shock: Was it as good for you as it was me? :shock:

You forgot the

Giggity giggity!!

At the end of that comment ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    edited January 2009
    double post.....................
  • Sewinman
    edited January 2009
    Double post,..............
  • Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    I can see you back yourself in a toe-to-toe!

Normally I'm pleasent and reasonable. When my mortality or the mortality of others comes into question my anger levels rises.

Yeah me too, but its a matter of time until someone gets out of the car....and i get the impression you back yourself.

I'm not a small man, but I don't particularly want to fight, physically, with anyone. But you have to understand the sheer disregard for road safety I often encounter on my commute.

I don't understand what you mean by 'back yourself' (its almost South London-ish in it's structure). If you mean do I think I would win or not back down in a fight. Any fight on the street (and I have seen many many fights) usually comes down to luck of the draw, external influences and how far you are willing to go to win - like when I was in secondary school and one boy sank his teeth into another boys lower regions.... Sure it was extremely queer (can we get a PC brigade ruling on the use of the word queer) and he suffered years of accusations relating to a certain act of pleasure... but he won the fight....

BUT honestly, I've left that life behind me, I'm no Tookie Williams. I'd much rather look at art, analyse a film, debate/argue thoughts and opinions with educated rational people than slugging it out with nuckle dragging evolutionary throwbacks. That said if you can't hurl abuse at your fellow man for endangering your life and stressing you out, then what can you do.... It's not healthy to internalise it.

Well i am from South West London and its a pretty standard phrase - it means you are not scared of other people. It is not a criticism, just an observation that you might be a bit more forthright than other people - which takes some courage. Anyway!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm going for a SCR derivative: Silly commuter rage.

A women pulled out in front of me (she was on a road to the left trying to cross my lane to join the traffic going in the opposite direction). At no point did she look right (towards me) as she pulled out and she blocked the lane as there was a traffic on the lane she was trying to join.

If not for my new brake blocks and recent service I'd have gone over her bonnet so I shouted but with her window wound up and refusing to look at any potential oncoming traffic she ignored me. So I took my hand and banged on her car.

It pissed me off because she clearly had no where to go. Traffic was piled high on the lane she was attempting to join. Despite this she still pulled out and blocked the oncoming traffic causing another traffic jam. But not looking right (only left) as she did this was the icing on the cake.

This was on the same day I met Eleanor.

The next day, a poor sweet girl on a hybrid, was approaching some lights they were red. They turned green as she was about to stop so she continued. She did nothing wrong. One car from the left joining the main road (it was a junction) was still in turning mode and went through as his lights went red and our lights went green. Had he not done this he would have blocked traffic. A stupid women in a Golf followed this move (though she was well behind the line) not considering the oncoming traffic or the red light applying to her. She raced forward and had to brake sharply as sweet cycling girl was in front of her. The stupid witch had the cheek to beep at the poor girl.

I shouted back at the women "Can you not see your f*cking lights are red!" In my deepest loudest voice that stopped passers by....

The journey home, approaching a lights some stupid man swerved his car from the right lane to the left lane without indicating or looking and nearly drove me into the curb. I raced to the lights got my bike in front of him and gave him a windscreen full of f-words.

Today or perhaps yesterday. Some idiot in a Mercedes tried to overtake me a little too close along Clapham Common. He couldn't without knocking me over - he was that close - so backed off. I immediately put my bike in the middle of the lane and slowed the f*ckwit down until the lights. At the lights I gave him a chorus of f-words as well...

All in a week.

mmm angry is the way to the dark side, much to learn you have... :P

Nothing you say or shout at these people will have any effect other than spoiling your ride, it's a sad fact that we just have to live with it.

or purchase a crossbow and extract your revenue :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    don_don wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    ..a friend explained to me once that after you've had your first child, you claw back your former life, inch by inch, foot by foot, yard by yard.

B*gger...

I was getting there, then we had another one! Back to the start line :(:wink:

Deny any involvement and insist on seeing then reading the small print in the contract :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    edited January 2009
    ITB, I like your thinking but surely arrows are a puncture risk :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2009
    Sewinman wrote:
    Well i am from South West London and its a pretty standard phrase - it means you are not scared of other people. It is not a criticism, just an observation that you might be a bit more forthright than other people - which takes some courage. Anyway!

No offence taken and I think a very valid criticism.

What part of South West London are you from? There are a few of us... I lived in Norbury, kinda near the McDonalds drive thorugh and now live in Wimbledon (near Jen J - but I won't tell....)

I get what you mean about 'back yourself'. To be honest its a judgement call. You have to hold you corner (Jamaican phrase, which implies standing up for yourself without stepping into someone else's corner, which then becomes bullying - this theory can be applied to both driving and cycling amongst other things) but there are some crazy cats that will drive you down (as Bass encountered) for even getting annoyed that they tried to run you over...

To be honest I wasn't raised or taught to be afraid of people whether on an intellectual or physical level. But knowing your limits and when to stop/hold back is crucial to survival (even the greatest of warriors have to humble sometimes).

There has been incidents where people have gotten out of there cars.... there isn't a single rule its always a judgement call... My goal is not to get into a fight.
    Food Chain number = 4

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Thanks for the welcome!

Depending on how long the blasted cyclescheme voucher will take to get to me, hopefully I shall join the hordes soon :D

I already know the pleasure of commuting, however this distance has scared me until this last week where traffic has been abysmal. Took me an hour to get in this morning - should only be a 15-min drive.

Finally - I am indeed a girl, and it was wonderful for me ;)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2009
    sarajoy wrote:
    and it was wonderful for me ;)

All Right!

Quagmire.PNG
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

What part of South West London are you from? There are a few of us... I lived in Norbury, kinda near the McDonalds drive thorugh and now live in Wimbledon (near Jen J - but I won't tell....)

I am from Hampton Hill/Teddington originally (west of Wimbledon) but I now live in Streatham Common - just after the Common on the way south and near the big Sainsburys. Must track down the McDs drive through!

p.s. s***, i just gave my location away. Dozens of cyclists lurking at the end of my road tomorrow, eating energy bars!
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I am from Hampton Hill/Teddington originally (west of Wimbledon) but I now live in Streatham Common - just after the Common on the way south and near the big Sainsburys. Must track down the McDs drive through!

p.s. s***, i just gave my location away. Dozens of cyclists lurking at the end of my road tomorrow, eating energy bars!

I must have scalped you, surely!? What bike do you ride and at what time. If not me then Bass must have done its around his stomping grounds. (Personally I think Bass is exceptionally fast, though he is too modest to know it).

McDonalds: Ride up the A23 (Streatham high street towards Croydon - you can't miss it - less than 10mins on the bike from Streatham. Also if you haven't plough some money into DeVer cycles best bike shop in South London.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I must have scalped you, surely!? What bike do you ride and at what time. If not me then Bass must have done its around his stomping grounds. (Personally I think Bass is exceptionally fast, though he is too modest to know it).

McDonalds: Ride up the A23 (Streatham high street towards Croydon - you can't miss it - less than 10mins on the bike from Streatham. Also if you haven't plough some money into DeVer cycles best bike shop in South London.

Normally an Airwolf BMX, at about 3-4 am...
  • itboffin
    ITB, I like your thinking but surely arrows are a puncture risk :lol:

A bolt will happily pass right through a car door and most of the way into the target or so I'm told :o

I'm sure it wouldn't be to difficult to attach to the handlebars either. :twisted:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Greg T wrote:
    It is a loose fitting Dutch overgarment favoured by painters / drug users / horticulturalists.

Very good GT, you're showing good early season wit form.

Happy Birthday Cori and Snooks (I admit it, I use Friendface)

Talking of Whom, has Snooks gone MIA?

(wrote this loads earlier and forgot to post it.)

Welcome Sarajoy, where is your commute?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    It is a loose fitting Dutch overgarment favoured by painters / drug users / horticulturalists.

Very good GT, you're showing good early season wit form.

Happy Birthday Cori and Snooks (I admit it, I use Friendface)

Talking of Whom, has Snooks gone MIA?

(wrote this loads earlier and forgot to post it.)

Welcome Sarajoy, where is your commute?

See see he (Grandpa) is probing already, told you!!!! :shock:
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Happy birthday, Coriander!

And welcome, sarajoy.

Second commute of 2009 for me today and it was a lot better than Monday's 'orribleness. I find I can spin along alright, but I've nothing in reserve for any bursts of speed that may be required. I can only hope the situation improves rapidly!

Cold, foggy and icy in Belfast this morning. I had to walk a little ways at the start of my ride before the road became ridable. I could have used an extra layer and lung heaters of some kind I think.

One target this morning, BlueGiant, one of my regulars on a blue Giant of some kind (looks like it's running 32s with panniers). Despite still being in wastrel mode, I decided I liked the turn of speed my new Conti Ultra Gators are giving the MTB and moved ahead to put the scalp on. I heard his gears shifting behind me and thought "uh-oh here comes the unscalp", but I kept my speed and he gradually fell behind. He must've bonked at some stage as I hit every red light on the way in, and it was only 5 miles later that he caught up to me at more lights and passed as his lane had greens to my reds.

Scalp to me, I think.

Now it's pi**ing down and I've no waterproofs. MTFU and soak it home.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:

See see he (Grandpa) is probing already, told you!!!! :shock:

Admit it ITB, you enjoyed it when I gave you a good probing.

TBH I'm just on the lookout for more scalping opportunities but don't tell SJ
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    What is all this probing about?

If we are playing "Aliens and Earthlings" again I will request that the torque bar be warmed up a tad this time.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • sarajoy
    Well my commute is given away in the thread I just made over the way, as long as you're going to play nice ¬_¬
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DDD, oh what a short memory.......if it had not been for a rather unfortunate bout of mechanical problems we would have been a merry band of 3 riding up to the Freewheel last year but Sewiman had to duck out last minute!

Whilst 2 of us (used to be 3) do live near each other the chances of us arriving home at the same point are slim! However SM if you do see someone whip past in a bright yellow gil jacket say hello and I might slow up ;-) Sounds like you live right near where the Rapha guy laid down his thick strip of awesome as he was pulling away from the lights before the petrol station opposite Sainsbury, he then also headed down Parchmore Road which just rubbed salt into my already exposed wound as I couldn't make up ground on him down there either!

Actually SM as you head over VB and back towards Streatham I'll have to keep an eye out for you as I'm doing that route this evening! What time do you leave work?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Welcome Sarajoy - took about a month for my cycle to work voucher to come through and the about three weeks to get the bike ordered - been doing this since September and sadly now hooked on SCR - beware the game and this thread can rule your life :D
  • Who ordered the fog today?! Glasses steamed up, and when I took them off I couldn't see as far as the stopping distance of my NEW BIKE with BIG WHEELS. Ooooh! And it's black all over, there's smart! So fast it's scary, but it feels so NICE!

Just thought someone else might like to know I'VE GOT A NEW BIKE! So what if it's a folder! I still managed to scalp a regular I've never scalped before :lol::D
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • And this one's a Dahon Jack
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • sarajoy
    Welcome Sarajoy - took about a month for my cycle to work voucher to come through and the about three weeks to get the bike ordered - been doing this since September and sadly now hooked on SCR - beware the game and this thread can rule your life :D
    I've heard similar time-wise. Bum! Oh well.

Got my sig sorted ready for it :D Though I don't dare attempt the hilly 8mile commute on my current bike, I should think it'd hurt and put me off for life! That's my excuse anyway... I figure if I have gear fit-for-purpose, I /WILL/ make it, and I look forward to the fitness I shall have to develop to do so!
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD, oh what a short memory.......if it had not been for a rather unfortunate bout of mechanical problems we would have been a merry band of 3 riding up to the Freewheel last year but Sewiman had to duck out last minute!

Ah I remember now. Good day it was, wiping out kiddies, beating you and Snooks around the course, tearing you apart on the way home... well that's how I remember it.
    Actually SM as you head over VB and back towards Streatham I'll have to keep an eye out for you as I'm doing that route this evening! What time do you leave work?

Hot damn! That's a gauntlet thrown down if ever I've seen one!
    Food Chain number = 4