Silly commuting racing

Comments

• blackworx
    blackworx Posts: 123
    [whinge]

Where are all you SSers and shaved-like-a-girl Edinburgh roadies on my commute? I haven't even seen a potential scalp in ages. All I ever see is students on jalopies, workies on tanks and the occasional fast MTBer. No sport at all.

[/whinge]
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • My first SCR duel today,

pootling along, and see a bloke who is lit up like a christmas tree a few hundred metres ahead, so i set off, first set of lights, he gets through and i have to stop, bugger, then he dissapears, coming up a hill a mile or so later i see another one, slightly less seizure inducing, but a potential scalp, so i set off, panting like an unfit twenty something who hasnt ridden for a while. we reach some standing traffic, he takes the inside and creeps up the kerb, I overtake the whole lot, and him, Hoorah was that my first? er no, as at the next crossing he caught up, now him being a true gent, he let me set off infront (doesnt really cound does it?) i dash through the next set of lights where he has to stop, pass some traffic who are waiting at some lights to get to the green box thing, waiting, waiting, can sense him catching up, lights turn green, stanp on my pedal, rear wheel moves, chain slips, nuts slap against the stem. man down, as i creep to the side of the road to try and figure out what has happened, gasping for breath my nemesis, rings his bell and waves as he passes. BA**ARD!!

this took place between jacksons lane in hazel grove and cheadle hulme.

you know who you are, and im going to get you!!

Andy

PS can anyone reccomend any good chain tugs?.

Specialized Tricross SS FCN 4
    GT Zaskar FCN 10
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Last night…quite a headwind. At the lights an assos clad roadie went past me but I caught him and sped past him easily into a brick wall of wind and slowed and he drafted me for a bit then took him time at the front after saying hello, it made the journey back quick and less painful although I was covered in black road water…yuk

This morning a certain fairy got to me, I inflated and saw there was a dirt great big bulge so I deflated and sorted the innertube out… damnit one cartidge wasted

What was the link for cheap cartridges again? (tyre inflators or something like that?) I thought I had it but the link was dead… cheers
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Last night…quite a headwind. At the lights an assos clad roadie went past me but I caught him and sped past him easily into a brick wall of wind and slowed and he drafted me for a bit then took him time at the front after saying hello, it made the journey back quick and less painful although I was covered in black road water…yuk

This morning a certain fairy got to me, I inflated and saw there was a dirt great big bulge so I deflated and sorted the innertube out… damnit one cartidge wasted

What was the link for cheap cartridges again? (tyre inflators or something like that?) I thought I had it but the link was dead… cheers

Bad luck matey, here you go http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:

thank you kindly... what sort of grammage is recommended? I've got 16's at the mo and that seems to do the trick is it better to have smaller or larger ones?

to be fair I haven't had anything since... 6 months maybe so I was probably due
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I fear I am weakening. I may be going soft...or perhaps the end is nigh?!

I shall explain. Last night after a stupendous effort along Millbank Wind Tunnel and passing 4 scalps on the way, I arrived at Vauxhall Bridge lights feeling reasonably accomplished. Lights turn green I push off and after 100 yds a chap goes past at a reasonable clip. He's pushing hard and blowing harder, I'm grinding good but not hard. After another 500 yds he's ahead but tiring...he's falling back.

Oh dear oh dear he's popped his cork and is deflating like a 2 week old balloon!

But here's the rub...as he's slows, I slow with him. I feel sorry for his Herculean effort coming to nought and do not wish to rub his nose in the salt-gritted road grime. So I leave him be, sitting behind him but not drafting until I pull off over Chelsea Bridge.

Any doctors in the house please, is there any hope for me? :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I can't believe what I'm reading. He'd have gone home thinking, "Yep, I showed that fixer who's boss; done him good and proper, like."

Grow a pair. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • blackworx wrote:
    [whinge]

Where are all you SSers and shaved-like-a-girl Edinburgh roadies on my commute? I haven't even seen a potential scalp in ages. All I ever see is students on jalopies, workies on tanks and the occasional fast MTBer. No sport at all.

[/whinge]

Where's your route???
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Littigator wrote:
    But here's the rub...as he's slows, I slow with him. I feel sorry for his Herculean effort coming to nought and do not wish to rub his nose in the salt-gritted road grime. So I leave him be, sitting behind him but not drafting until I pull off over Chelsea Bridge.

No. You have let yourself (and us) down badly. You need to have a stiff talk to yourself.

Remember: pity is an emotion other people experience.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

thank you kindly... what sort of grammage is recommended? I've got 16's at the mo and that seems to do the trick is it better to have smaller or larger ones?

to be fair I haven't had anything since... 6 months maybe so I was probably due

the 16g are fine although I have a couple of bigair 40g as well, comes with a seat post holder great for MTB
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Littigator wrote:
    I fear I am weakening. I may be going soft...or perhaps the end is nigh?!

I shall explain. Last night after a stupendous effort along Millbank Wind Tunnel and passing 4 scalps on the way, I arrived at Vauxhall Bridge lights feeling reasonably accomplished. Lights turn green I push off and after 100 yds a chap goes past at a reasonable clip. He's pushing hard and blowing harder, I'm grinding good but not hard. After another 500 yds he's ahead but tiring...he's falling back.

Oh dear oh dear he's popped his cork and is deflating like a 2 week old balloon!

I'm fedex you a large case of MTFU pills, take them ALL on arrival you big girls blouse :roll:
  • blackworx
    blackworx wrote:
    [whinge]

[/whinge]

Where's your route???
    Leith to Morningside via Easter Rd/Regent Terr/Bridges/Clerk St/Grange.

It's a piddly little route really so it's no wonder I never see anyone, especially at this time of year. Very rarely see folk at the top of leith St, but they invariably head off along Princes St :(
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Littigator wrote:

A typical response from a considerate fellow mountain-biker - not upsetting another's feelings by railing past at high speed.

No doubt you would pat him on the back at the bottom of the descent and chat about the merits of coil vs air forks for a few minutes, before leaving him for dead at the bottom of the next ascent.

Well done Litts, the splinter group is growing in strength...

Takes cover
  • Littigator
    Yes yes, I realise the error of my ways now. I should have combined sympathy and encouragement with a patronising air.

Perhaps as he was really starting to struggle I could have pulled alongside, placed a gentle hand in the small of his back to help push him along whilst I tell him 'Jolly Well Done' for making such an effort to get past....a quick wink and then whooosh off I speed :twisted:

ITB, I think you must have online Fedexed those pills....my mojo has returned

• itboffin
    Littigator wrote:
    Yes yes, I realise the error of my ways now. I should have combined sympathy and encouragement with a patronising air.

Perhaps as he was really starting to struggle I could have pulled alongside, placed a gentle hand in the small of his back to help push him along whilst I tell him 'Jolly Well Done' for making such an effort to get past....a quick wink and then whooosh off I speed :twisted:

Good man glad to hear it.

I'm just off for a training ride with the wife :twisted:

NO MERCY......
  • Littigator
    itboffin wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Good man glad to hear it.

I'm just off for a training ride with the wife :twisted:

NO MERCY......

Yeah...I've heard she gets a bit medieval on your assssss :wink:

• Litts, what were you thinking posting that? I mean really.

I was going to give you 100 lines: I will MTFU...

Anyway, hurrah! I am back on my feet (ish)!

I have been given a walking air cast, and am walking on it a bit! Excellent! This has made me very happy, even though I have been told to use the crutches. Pah. I laugh in the face of falling over.

However, I asked the nice doctor what he thought about my getting back on the bike in Jan, and received nought but a withering glare and a 'don't be ridiculous' in return for my efforts.

Curses. Roll on february...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The SCR season is in full swing! When I first moved to Wimbledon I thought the commuters were kinda gay, not homosexual gay - nothing wrong with that - I mean gay in the to happy to bimble and not MTFU ride with conviction kinda gay... (puts on his flame proof internet shield).

What I didn't take into account was that most Wimbledon-ites do actually have a decent disposable income (what with the average house price and the look of their relatively new cars) meaning that the hybrids I would tear through were just the winter hacks. These are now locked at the back of the garden and promptly replaced with the carbon fibre beasts of burden!

Jeez its just open warefare from South Wimbledon to Clapham!

Today saw me Scalp for my life! No sign of "Eleanor" (nice one Bass)... alas I think that was a one time thing... damn hussy!
    itboffin wrote:

@DDD if you're looking for weekend training you'd be more than welcome at Château ITB.

@ITB, wow thanks for the offer dude and one I will be taking up. Firstly though I need to put some time in the saddle for myself, so that I'm not completely hopeless...

Oh and to all you Wolverine looking Mountain bikers, blah blah blah blah Mountain bikes suck blah blah blah.... I was once like you, then I shaved and realised the elegance of power attributed to distance at speed was a far more appealing than rolling in the mud like some sweatless pig... - what too harsh? :shock:

I never understood Rally driving I was always an F1 kinda guy.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Littigator
    yes sorry about that....I have been re-vitalled and reinvigorated and am now back on form.

So anyway, I meant to ask what happened with your leg? Glad to hear it is finally getting better but a shame you can't make the Tweed Run.

I reckon it's best to listen to doctors though generally they make some sense.

• Littigator wrote:

Much as I hate to admit it, this is good advice.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • blackworx
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I thought the commuters were kinda gay, not homosexual gay - nothing wrong with that - I mean gay in the to happy to bimble and not MTFU ride with conviction kinda gay... (puts on his flame proof internet shield)
    I believe the phrase you are searching for is: "gay, but not in the good way" :wink:
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Much as I hate to admit it, this is good advice.

Yes alright SCR legal team... :roll: :wink:

To be fair, the physio lady had me try to wear the bionic leg with only 2 heel lift wedges and that was remarkably painful so cycling my not be a bright idea just yet...

Litts, I tore my achilles tendon, not all the way through but a reasonable amount. Yes, I was cycling at the time. Yes, on the fixed. Yes, I did ignore it for a while and cycle back to ealing muttering and swearing then took myself to the doctor. No, I didn't think I'd need to be in plaster either.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Greg66 wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

No. You have let yourself (and us) down badly. You need to have a stiff talk to yourself.

Remember: pity is an emotion other people experience.

"I pity the fool who does not take his points." Not sure where that leaves me using your logic?
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I need to convene the SCR High Council for a ruling.

Since I've bodged my MTB commuter with rigid forks and slicks, I recalculated my FCN and it came out one higher than before at 10. What's up with that? Surely a slicked MTB would be higher up the chain than a knobbly?

Base: MTB on skinnies = 8
    Adjusters: beard +1, toeclips +1

Why do topeclips give +1 to a slicked MTB but not a knobbly?

I'm not complaining, just curious about this seeming anomaly.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    No one going my way this morning which was lucky as I seemed to have fitted my treacle tyres.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2009
    Double post
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    blackworx wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I thought the commuters were kinda gay, not homosexual gay - nothing wrong with that - I mean gay in the to happy to bimble and not MTFU ride with conviction kinda gay... (puts on his flame proof internet shield)
    I believe the phrase you are searching for is: "gay, but not in the good way" :wink:

I use that description of gay on my girlfriend whenever she won't let me play the X-box....

I refer to it as a Coolio moment (yes I watch Celebrity Big Brother...)
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    edited January 2009
    Edit....
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

I use that description of gay on my girlfriend whenever she won't let me play the X-box....

So you keep saying ;)
  • blackworx
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    blackworx wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I don't watch it, but I'm guessing Coolio had a bit of hole digging/backpedalling moment on CBB?

First I heard it was a few years ago at a party when the "but not in the good way" was tacked on after a pregnant/drunken pause when my mate remembered most folk in the room were friends of Dorothy. Classic.
    Trek XO1
    FCN4