• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    MTB is for losers!
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    MTB is for losers!

STONE HIM!

Oops, sorry, wrong forum.... :oops:
  • I went off-roading on Saturday, lots of roughstuff. Oh no wait, that wasn't off-roading, that was just the extremely broken up Borough High st on the way home from the station. :lol:

(Personally I am much happier on a nice smooth bit of tarmac.)
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Off road riding is for big boys who haven't learnt when to grow up, still like to muck about in mud, get dirty, fall over tree roots and do jumps!

It's BRILLIANT! :D
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Littigator wrote:
    Off road riding is for big boys who haven't learnt when to grow up, still like to muck about in mud, get dirty, fall over tree roots and do jumps!

Nice one Litts. Lets start an SCR splinter group!!!!
    :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Boxing analogy.

Off roading is like Bruno - brute force, very little skill, no poise, delicacy or grace.

Road Cycling is like Muhammad Ali - Elegant, skillful, intelligent, perfect in every way simply the greatest.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I wouldn't say there was little skill involved in off-roading, otherwise why would I be so rubbish at it? :lol:

It's just not my cup of tea.
  • R34PER
    R34PER Posts: 193
    edited January 2009
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Boxing analogy.

Off roading is like Bruno - brute force, very little skill, no poise, delicacy or grace.

Road Cycling is like Muhammad Ali - Elegant, skillful, intelligent, perfect in every way simply the greatest.

spoken like a true city boy :roll:

personally i enjoy off road a lot more than road but i still do both, i figure why look at the scenery from the road when you can ride it from the heart of it on an mtb. i have never yet found any road to be as fun as a fast flowing technical bit of singletrack.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I went off-roading on Saturday, lots of roughstuff. Oh no wait, that wasn't off-roading, that was just the extremely broken up Borough High st on the way home from the station. :lol:

(Personally I am much happier on a nice smooth bit of tarmac.)

Borough High st is a total joke, not been resurfaced in years and badly badly needs to be.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I gave Jen details of one of my favourite winter training routes the other day and I think she enjoyed it - I'll pm you the link.

It was a fabulous route, and apart from the IOW ride, the only time I've ridden outside of London - the difference is amazing, no need to constantly be aware of traffic, you can actually enjoy riding for the sake of it.

Don't be scared to join the SCR rides DDD - you're a lot faster than I am, and I just stayed with them for a lap or two then went at my own pace when I was struggling, and met them for drinks at the end. You'd probably be able to keep up with them anyway.

Have a look at the Social Rides thread, and try and go along to one of the RP rides.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

To all - what's the view here? Extra turbo sessions at night for DDD?

This is actually a serious point you raise.

I may be relatively strong and can get the bike up to speed. But years of take-away's, smoking (I've since quit) and drinking has all but destroyed my stamina.

How do I go about building my stamina/cardio vascular fitness to extreme levels.

Drink more alcohol :shock:

As a punishment you should ride tyre less for 1 whole day, rim racing on your new wheels :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:

How do I go about building my stamina/cardio vascular fitness to extreme levels.

Train dude, train! So that means early morning rides (when it's lighter) combined with weekend sessions - pref a mixc of interval training, hill reps etc and longer rides (25 - 80 miles or so). However if you're just keen on improving SCR then sprint work will be of most importance. I'd suggest doing some interval training.

+1. Also ride everywhere as fast as is possible (obviously considering safety).

No pootling.

No giving in because your lungs are bleeding.

Don't let anyone overtake you, if anyone does run yourself ragged trying to catch them, forget the 'not trying' for a few months.

You should be sweaty and shaking by the time you get to your destination.

:twisted:

Vomiting on arrival = 110% effort :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Boxing analogy.

Hmmmmmmm, much as I love a bit of road riding, I actually reckon off-roading involves more skill.

*legs it... slowly.*
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Lovely commute tonight. Can't get over how much it's warmed up since Friday. For the first time since ??? I took a chance and rode with short sleeves under my jacket, no skullcap and my thinner gloves, and still I was quickly too warm. What a fantastic feeling to have the wind in my hair and rushing past my ears and up my sleeves again... while it's been so cold I've not been in the mood for pushing hard or trying to go fast, but it was creeping back tonight. Shame there was no-one to scalp cos I had to stay late at work :roll:
  • itboffin
    Littigator wrote:
    Get thee into the Surry Hills my friend. There are some lovely undulating routes all over the place, Kent is also good. If you're near Wimbledon get the train to any of the little stops south of Guildford and head off with map in pocket to pootle round those lovely lanes.

I did 3 hours on Saturday in -2, it would've been cold if i hadn't been cycling with a complete sadist who kept us at an average of 32kph over the 3 hours

WTF is this kph BS just MTFU and say 19.8MPH

@DDD if you're looking for weekend training you'd be more than welcome at Château ITB.
  • itboffin
    don_don wrote:
    MTB is for losers!

STONE HIM!

Oops, sorry, wrong forum.... :oops:

He said Jehovah, no wait! arrhhh....
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Boxing analogy.

Absolute tosh, watch the best downhillers and they make a 45lb bike dance down the hill like it was a lightweiight road machine. No roadie could ever do this, they simply wouldn't have the upper body strength :wink:

Mountain biking is all about bike handling and skill, whereas road biking is all about tactics and fitness.

I'm now runing for cover.............................................................
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I agree completely with Rich158 and I'm a commuter, roadies just love to weave in and out of cars with their lightweight bikes.
  • iain_j wrote:
    Lovely commute tonight. Can't get over how much it's warmed up since Friday. For the first time since ??? I took a chance and rode with short sleeves under my jacket, no skullcap and my thinner gloves, and still I was quickly too warm. What a fantastic feeling to have the wind in my hair and rushing past my ears and up my sleeves again... while it's been so cold I've not been in the mood for pushing hard or trying to go fast, but it was creeping back tonight. Shame there was no-one to scalp cos I had to stay late at work :roll:

Wind in your hair? I was blown backward up a hill this eve.
    Raced a few rain clouds this eve. Lost. Am now fit for nothing bar babyfood which probably puts me at the bottom of the food chain.

A road I ride on is scored concrete. It was tarred but the surface was so broken it was like cycling on a beach. So much better now, it's like cycling on a mountain. Good job my fillings are sound.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    No wind, no rain today - I got enough of both yesterday in the Lakes :lol:
  • DDD you're off with the fairies........

I am full on commute boy but doing MTB in the proper rough stuff is miles harder.

You need much more control, strength & bottle (not the type you put in the holder either!)

You're on a rocky 45 degree descent and you have to MTFU to let go of that front brake otherwise you're going over the bars for a big spill, you then speed up cos you aint on the brakes so you had better have control or you are meat.

I have been genuinely terrified MTBing, only very concerned on the commute (please God I haven't spoke too soon!!)

However doing Billet road on 115 psi tyres is pretty scary :shock:
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited January 2009
    Littigator wrote:

Oh yes :D:D:D:D:D

The wind in what's left of my hair tonight - peak on the helmet was vibrating - don't seem to be any slower on the new tyres than I was on the Maxxis's(?) definitely more confident on the muddier sections of the commute 8)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    DDD

This is so wrong, but many roadies believe this. I prefer road riding, but mtb'ing is way more skilful (it requires strength, agility, balance, quick reactions, nerve and a delicate touch), and if you don't have the skill or you get brain fade you quickly feel the pain!
  • i very rarely get worried off road, maybe being a country boy it's a more normal while i'm more worried by some very busy roads around here now (london ish)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Off road, your fate is more or less in your own hands, not so on city roads.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oh boy, that was a headwind and a half tonight. And a barnstorming bit of SCR action to boot. :D

The fun started at Vauxhall Bridge lights and lasted until Putney Bridge. There were a couple of roadies, but it was a fast SSer who was leading the way. Unfortunately, I was slow off the mark at Chelsea Bridge and slogged my guts out to keep the two roadies and one SSer in sight by Albert Bridge (the cheeky beggars were draftng each other). I lost 20 yards on them and hammered it after Albert Bridge. By the time we reached PutneY Bridge, I was beginning to taste lunch.

The good lady had a huge bowl of spag bol waiting for me when I arrived home. And now for ice cream. Well. Bl00dy. Earned, IMO. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Yep - lot's of MTB'ing to be had in London town. :D

Judging by the amount of 4x4's I see driving around K&C I'd say London must be quiet mountainous, why else would you need such a large vehicle designed for rough off-road driving ;-)

DDD, as has been said riding for reasons other then getting to/from work is great fun. Knowing that you haven't got to race or even have a specific destination is an amazing feeling! When I went out on my wife enforced calm-me-down ride before Xmas I just set off with a rough idea of where I wanted to ride and a map in my back pocket! I got home 2 hours later feeling much better having ridden 30 miles and wishing I'd doubled that figure!
    Your lady SS does sound very quick and can remember from the Rapha guy I encountered in Streatham how frustrating and yet how awesome it is to see another cyclist pulling away from you at the lights despite you burying yourself to try and keep up with them!
    As you have a penchant for naming your encounters I suggest she becomes your Eleanor :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    First commute back since Dec 24, Was fast, Enjoyable and windy, Also got me a scalp :D Im back !!!!!!
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Yep - lot's of MTB'ing to be had in London town. :D

Judging by the amount of 4x4's I see driving around K&C I'd say London must be quiet mountainous, why else would you need such a large vehicle designed for rough off-road driving ;-)

to be fair most of the 4x4's are useless once into the proper country too wide for backing up with is in the lanes, wide tires mean snow is a stopper etc...

see folk moving nr to my folks with a 4x4 after a while they give up on the idea!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Pleasant surprise this morning.

Towed a roadie for a brief section of Embankment and, as he passed, he acknowledged my efforts. :) Unfortunately, there was no way I could disguise my state of knackeredness. (I had come off Parlt Sq, seen that the lights at Horseguards were green and duly went for it.)

That roadie was the only one who got past legally this morning. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."