Silly commuting racing

Comments

• bbbrrrrrr chillyness

I never now weather to cycle faster in the cold to generate more heat, or slow down as less wind chill on my already chilly hands! At least the roads were empty.

Anyhow only saw a bmx on the pavement today :x ...or though at least it looked like at had finally gotten some lights for xmas!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Had flu over Xmas and before anyone makes remarks about MF Mrs JW had it as well so it was obviously Burd Flu - not back on the bike today as it seems to have done strange things to my sense of balance - walked in - picked up my new Marathons from RM - tyres have come but alas not my new tubes so will have to wait to fit them
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My Xmas bout of norovirus is continuing to make me feel nauseous and sorry for myself.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • You've still got it? I thought it only lasted a couple of days! Is this putting paid to your SCR mission impossible to spain?
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...empty, empty roads all the way in...everywhere was like a ghost town...should make the most of it I suppose as next week will be back to the usual madness...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Ive not been posting due to a promotion relating to brilliance in the workplace, then THREE WEEKS of the flu. The proper Flu. Not a cold and not man flu, a proper dose of three weeks of feeling sh1te!

Back on the bike today after a looong absence. My new banger (link below), and I loved it. It has a massive 52t ring up front so I was gliding by mtbs with ease in an upright position holding on to my girly handle bars!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12599981

Its good to be back on two wheels...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • itboffin
    You've still got it? I thought it only lasted a couple of days! Is this putting paid to your SCR mission impossible to spain?

I've been trying to ignore it for the most part, even cycled yesterday and was only sick once but today i'm really paying for it. :cry:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itb - the best thing to do is rest up, it had me out for 10 days. Norrovirus is a vicious little bastard, it takes ages to get it out of your system.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rich158 wrote:
    itb - the best thing to do is rest up, it had me out for 10 days. Norrovirus is a vicious little bastard, it takes ages to get it out of your system.

Knowing ITB, it will be flushed out with beer. The virus will drown. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Ive not been posting due to a promotion relating to brilliance in the workplace, then THREE WEEKS of the flu. The proper Flu. Not a cold and not man flu, a proper dose of three weeks of feeling sh1te!

Back on the bike today after a looong absence. My new banger (link below), and I loved it. It has a massive 52t ring up front so I was gliding by mtbs with ease in an upright position holding on to my girly handle bars!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12599981

Its good to be back on two wheels...

Wondered where you'd gone. Good to have you back. Although I think you should you change your forum name to "I'm Fantastic, Thanks." :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've got the whole week off, spent today waiting in for a courier to collect my damaged FFWD Wheel, he's not turned up yet, grrr.

Just installed some new bar tape though!

3147006547_9a26fce534.jpg

3147857034_5e2c24299f.jpg

Bling Bling.
  • cjcp
    Words fail me. :lol:

This is photoshop, isn't it?

Looks like the colours of the Irish flag.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    @jashburnham There isn't a MASSIVE tart picture big enough... :lol:

@cjcp What an amazing guess, I've been doing considerable damage to the Wiltshire beer supplies, which might explain why this damn thing is lasting so long. Strictly on water only today. :shock:
  • :shock: Which steed is that on then?

Also CJCP, I think it's nicer to think of it as the colors of the Italian flag :-P
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    @jashburnham There isn't a MASSIVE tart picture big enough... :lol:

/quote]

I tried looking on the webiste for PAUL (the posh, French cake shop). Yep, no tart big enough there either. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    hehe, and yes it's Italian not Irish!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Very ummmmmmmmm colourful jash - obviously the word 'tasteful' is just a collection of syllables to you - I think you may find you'll attract drunks and urchins :twisted:
  • No one else cycling in today? Bit quiet on here, normally by midday we have a page of scalp stories......

Anyhow I'll get us started off! This mornings ride in seemed to be even colder then yesterday - all the cars on the street had an nice covering of ice and I could see the frosty patches on certain stretches so in the name of safety I decided that racing down Knights Hill today would be out of the question, instead just letting gravity do the work and get me to the bottom in one piece without coming off.

That was until I got to the hill and what should I see ahead in the road? 2 sets of flashing LED lights :evil: As the lights changed I could see one set of lights pass the other and they where both maintaining a reasonable pace........mid definately 25+ as I was only just gaining on them! As I got closer I could see they where on road bikes and and as the road wasn't as icy as I expected and before I realized it my left hand had flicked the brake lever and put be onto the big ring and my legs started working a bit harder. I had what would have been ideal condition normally, a clear road behind me and a car way down in front so I was flying down in the middle of the road. As the road leveled out at the bottom I was gaining on them and we all bunched up as we got into the traffic. I pulled out wide and come past both of them heading towards the cross road.

As I approach the bl00dy lights go amber and then red. I grab a handful of brake and drop a couple of gears and stop at the line as they go red. Thankfully I didn't try tucking in by the kerb as I would have been flattened by the 2 cyclist I'd just past as they RLJ'd!!!! UTTER TO55POTS!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Still not on the bike as my sense of balance has not been restored - had a try this am and nearly took out the front hedge :oops:
  • cjcp
    Yep, not back in work until Friday, so no SCR action for me until then.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Im off till January 12th :(, Shouldn't be sad but my bike is so upset without me, So this morning got up and fitted my front hydro brake and nice shiny new Sram shifter (REALLY very good BTW), Was all done and dusted by sunrise,

Grabbed the bike and with the excuse of going to the shop (3 Miles MAX) I headed out, 14 Miles later I was back home. Nice slow pace but I loved every second of cycling nowhere with no time constrains,

Once home I was asked what I got from the shop......errrrrrr....shop ???? Ahhhhhh......It was ermmm closed lol.

No other bikes to be seen today though.

Maybe I will pop to the "shop" tomorrow too :D

Gaz
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • itboffin
    I saw 4 cyclist this afternoon all going the other way, other than that it was yet another completely uneventful ride, lots of fog and ice of the black & white kind.

So tomorrow will be the last SCR day of 2008, i'm planning one last ride to the pub for lunch, then its pretty much party time :D
  • cjcp
    Was there ever a prize formally awarded to The Biggest SCR Tart of 2008? The obvious contenders are:

1. Greg66 (a penchant for orangey shades, Cervelos, and spotted on Embankment decked out head to toe in Assos);
    2. Jash (too many examples to cite here :lol: ); and
    3. Attica (the BC cycling team kit. Outrageous. :) ).

Perhaps a great, big tart should be sent to the victor's workplace?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

Perhaps a great, big tart should be sent to the victor's workplace?

You mean a pastry one right :wink: If not I'm sure I could find a few huge tarts in Croydon tomorrow evening :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    Well I can't be beaten by Greg surely?

Had a brisk 2 hours in Richmond park today, Christmas has definitely taken its toll and my legs weren't there at all. Got drafted on the flat and I couldn't push hard enough to get rid of him. Going out again tomorrow while this good weather holds. Time for some serious training methinks.
  • cjcp
    If there was ever any doubt, your new bar tape has surely clinched it.

Lovely day for a ride too. I was going to pop out tomorrow, but suspect I'll leave it until the weekend.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Might see myslef out on the BOOG tomorrow as at present I've got no heating and it's bloody cold indoors and I'm losing count on the number of cups of tea I drink before dinner and conversely the number of visits to LBR. Hopefully the plumber will have the right part and get it fitted tomorrow morning.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh it was such a nice day today! Sunny, cool, misty, not a breath of wind... And I have all sorts of bike gear to try out...

AAAAARRRRRGH!

:cry::cry::cry:

However, I did manage to make 38 pies this afternoon - no more leftover turkey/goose/beef from xmas now!

Oh and although Greg66 and Attica have had moments of immense tartiness, Jashburnham kicks all their @rses through sheer consistency.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Oh and although Greg66 and Attica have had moments of immense tartiness, Jashburnham kicks all their @rses through sheer consistency.

I have to bow down to Jash, my bar tape doesn't come close and my Giant is somewhat functional compared to the Prince's gorgeous curves.

(Just realised that's possibly the first mention of my "best" bike, I really should get some photos of my steeds up on my sig)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"