• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    girv73 wrote:
    so I try a bit of that drafting buses every now and again:

Sorry, drafting busses? You need to MTFU and get in front of them :D
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'd been off of the bike for a few days and today was the first ride without a hangover for a few days. With the schools out and plenty of people on holiday, the journey in was fantastic. I didn't even have to stop for the first 11 minutes! That plus me fixing a couple of niggling issues on the bike (chain rubbing jockey cage, front brakes touching slightly on 1 side) led to knocking 2 minutes off of my normal time. Not quite as impressive as 42mph on the flat but enough to pep up my morning nicely. If only the roads were this empty every day
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cp that sucks the same thing happened to us a few years ago and we've never restocked, it didn't even eat them it just killed them. We have ways of dealing with those pests trouble is there's so damn many of them.

c12345 42mph cooooool, I believe that G66 in his younger days was able to touch the 40s.

Just back from my cough "commute" nothing to report other than me getting off to walk the last third of a hill :oops: I can't wait until the new wheels for my winter tourer arrive.

not 42mph but I did manage mid 30s going down a MASSIVE hill with what's left of my brakes on, glasses covered in rain and buttocks clenched tight, HR approaching full take off speed.

Now off to clean the bike AGAIN :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Anyone ever hit 50mph?

I managed it (on a looong downhill road) way back when I was at school. On a 'full hard' MTB from the days when front shocks were bling. Quill stem, canti brakes, than sort of thing. Cost me about... oooh... £200?

Needless to say kinda scared but proper stoked.
    When Chuck Norris does division, there are no remainders.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've hit 50 on the descent off Gospel pass into Hay. Exhilarating. Could probably have topped that coming off the Tourmalet but it was raining, so not really safe enough.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I've done 51mph down the twisty side of Holme Moss. A motorbike overtook me on a bend, then on one of the long straights, i found myself rapidly catching him up again. I'll never forget the double-take he did when he saw me on his back wheel again :D

The scary thing, looking back 5 years later, is that i was on a cheap halford's (or similar) bike which was in no way intended to do those speeds never mind the distances i took it. It disintegrated in the end.
  • il_principe
    iain_j wrote:
    I've done 51mph down the twisty side of Holme Moss. A motorbike overtook me on a bend, then on one of the long straights, i found myself rapidly catching him up again. I'll never forget the double-take he did when he saw me on his back wheel again :D

The scary thing, looking back 5 years later, is that i was on a cheap halford's (or similar) bike which was in no way intended to do those speeds never mind the distances i took it. It disintegrated in the end.

Bloody hell! I did my 50 on a Pinarello, with very decent conti tires. You sir are a brave brave man! Chapeau.

I'd love to have seen the bikers face :lol:
  • il_principe
    Just looking back over some old ride data, 44mph on this years Dragon Ride and 43 on the 08 Etape - in the pi$$ing rain and in cloud. Yeah that was fun!
  • iain_j
    More ignorant than brave i think :D To prove my point i didn't even bother with spare tubes or puncture repair kit those days, and later that day i punctured. Lucky for me i'd just rolled up in a town with a bike shop.

I've grown up since and nerves have got the better of me since then. Haven't been back over Holme Moss in that direction but i don't think i'll hit 51mph again there.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Loads of traffic out today. Had a half day and was looking forward to biking home on empty roads, but it's all mad out there.

I'm tempted to get a winter hack. Or rather, use my road bike as a winter hack, as I'm so close to buying the Trek Madone 5.2 on sale from my lbs (sorry jash)

Only thing stopping me is that I don't have any money :(
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • iain_j
    c12345's jaunt reminds me of a ride i did with my brother a year or so back. Coming off a roundabout on the Tarporley bypass, a horsebox came past and began accelerating slowly (as they do). My brother jumped in behind it and drafted along as the speed went up towards 50mph. I couldn't follow so he very quickly disappeared out of sight, tucked in behind this horsebox, legs going like the clappers. I finally caught him about a mile up the road, he'd stopped to wait for me, boasting he'd just done 46mph on the flat :D
  • il_principe
    Jen J wrote:
    Loads of traffic out today. Had a half day and was looking forward to biking home on empty roads, but it's all mad out there.

I'm tempted to get a winter hack. Or rather, use my road bike as a winter hack, as I'm so close to buying the Trek Madone 5.2 on sale from my lbs (sorry jash)

This is the way forward! My poor old Focus Variado Expert is a winter hack these days.
    Please not the Madone though, please for the sake of aesthetics! (Nothing against Treks except their "look" which is universally nasty :D )
  • Jen J
    Jen J wrote:

This is the way forward! My poor old Focus Variado Expert is a winter hack these days.
    Please not the Madone though, please for the sake of aesthetics! (Nothing against Treks except their "look" which is universally nasty :D )

I think it looks lovely :P

(and come on, I'm a girl, I'm only going to buy something if I think it looks nice ;))
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • 50MPH sounds like a good challenge :-) I've hit low 40's on a few of the short steep hills around Crystal Palace but it really is a test of nerves as drivers around here seem to be wearing blinkers all the time so they don't see me or don't think I'm going that fast!

Me thinks I need to get myself on some of these sportives to take on some proper hills :-D
    All in good time I think tho, I have plenty of cycling years left in me yet and I don't want to leave myself with no dreams!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've made 47 on Shooters Hill :shock: It scared the absolute crap out of me.

BJ the sportives are good for getting the speed up, I have an everlasting memory of doing 35-40ish during the Southern Sportive last year, only to see a guy of about 60 fly past me like I was standing still :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • 89 kmh (just over 55mph) on the descent of a hill in Canada the locals call the local Alpe D'Huez. It's about 100m shorter in elevation and about 500m shorter in length. But the first 5k is c 15%.

The top speed is on the upper section though; the lowest 5k is a series of hairpins at 1km intervals, so harder to hit top speed.

My fastest on the flat, from a standing start at VB and without a draft, is 59.4 kmh - 37.1 - going past the Tate.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • iain_j
    Only hit >50 that once but been in the high 40's several times. Scariest was going down Waddington Fell in Lancashire. There's a long, straight, steep drop, which gets steeper as you go down. At the end of it is a right-hander which at first looks like you could take it easily at high speed, but as you go round it gets much tighter, and there's a steep drop off the edge of the road. First time i went down i tried taking the corner at about 40mph. Eek. I didn't crash but i had to stop at the bottom of the hill, sit down, and get my nerves back :shock:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    46.7mph on a short descent in the Dragon Ride last year. People were blasting past me too. :shock: Felt like a came close to that during Highclere, but my speedo wasn't working. I descend very cautiously. I work on the basis that you lose more time going slower on the flats. (<Loud cough> That's my excuse anyway. :) )

On the flat? Dunno. About 35 along Embankment on the westbound stretch between Chelsea and Albert Bridges earlier this summer.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99
    Had 49mph down the chilterns near wallingford. Never 50 as much as I tried. Was always waiting for the perfect day (no cross winds). Its clamp the top-tube with your knees time to keep the speed wobble away.

On the flat, I guess that I can see the other side of 30 with no wind or draft, but I can't keep it there for long.

I've bunnyhopped my racer downhill at 45 though - just to see how far I could travel in the air :shock: .
  • I am real gutted. My bike is less than a week old and is out of action already due to knackered thread on crank arm because of pedal! :cry:

I was really looing forward to some SCR too - looks like will be out for a few weeks unless I race them with one pedal missing!

Did try it the other day but some one bottled out of it. :cry:
  • OK, you lot. I want you to keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm going into the orthopaedic place tomorrow in Essex to get a new cast and an inspection...

I'm quietly hoping they're going to say 'ahhhhhh those idiots in Ealing don't know jack, you don't need to be in plaster, what you actually need to be doing is lots and lots of cycling'

I realise this is unlikely, but keep your fingers crossed for me!

And wow, you guys go seriously fast! I was pretty chuffed to have bumped my top speed up over the 29mph mark on the fixie on the flat... must try harder.
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    46.7mph on a short descent in the Dragon Ride last year. People were blasting past me too. :shock: Felt like a came close to that during Highclere, but my speedo wasn't working. I descend very cautiously. I work on the basis that you lose more time going slower on the flats. (<Loud cough> That's my excuse anyway. :) )

On the flat? Dunno. About 35 along Embankment on the westbound stretch between Chelsea and Albert Bridges earlier this summer.

57mph coming down the main road from Highclere 3mph going up, almost 2 miles before you really need to pedal again, which is lucky because its a bitch.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    89 kmh (just over 55mph) on the descent of a hill in Canada the locals call the local Alpe D'Huez. It's about 100m shorter in elevation and about 500m shorter in length. But the first 5k is c 15%.

The top speed is on the upper section though; the lowest 5k is a series of hairpins at 1km intervals, so harder to hit top speed.

My fastest on the flat, from a standing start at VB and without a draft, is 59.4 kmh - 37.1 - going past the Tate.

Does it bring a tear to your eye remembering the old days :lol:
  • itboffin
    Jen J wrote:

Don't listen to him Trek's look fab and ride beautifully do you think Lance would ride them just because of sponsorship???
  • itboffin
    OK, you lot. I want you to keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm going into the orthopaedic place tomorrow in Essex to get a new cast and an inspection...

I'm quietly hoping they're going to say 'ahhhhhh those idiots in Ealing don't know jack, you don't need to be in plaster, what you actually need to be doing is lots and lots of cycling'

I realise this is unlikely, but keep your fingers crossed for me!

And wow, you guys go seriously fast! I was pretty chuffed to have bumped my top speed up over the 29mph mark on the fixie on the flat... must try harder.

Good luck, and for the record 29 mph on the flat is way more than I could ever manage, i'm more than happy with 19mph :)
  • cjcp
    @ITB - you were drinking last night, weren't you, laddie? :)

Nope, I'm not the fast mtber - that's Frosty the Snowman. Haven't come across him yet. Could be interesting if I do though. There's a faster chap though, in Optima Racing Team kit. He's seriously swift.

Had a right ol' race on the way home last night. SS filters past me at Parlt Square. I take him on Millbank. To his eternal shame, he drafts me. He then proceeds to draft cars and RLJ, but I absolutely nailed it and kept in my sights, so that when he turned off in Putney, he was no more than 10 yards ahead.

And, yes, I was absolutely knackered. Again.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    57mph coming down the main road from Highclere 3mph going up, almost 2 miles before you really need to pedal again, which is lucky because its a *****.

57mph? Hell's teeth!

I have no idea where that bit is. In fact, I never remember the route on sportives. :roll: The two fast descents that stood out were (i) a long, smooth descent in country lanes in the first 30 miles, and (ii) a short sharp descent with gravel at the bottom (there was a small group of us and the back wheel slipping a bit was momentarily unnerving). I was doing nowhere near 57 mph though.

A mate in my cycling club did 63mph coming off the Galibier, I think it was. That's just loony toons time.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    You lot are so slow. I regularly break the national speed limit on the way to work

:wink:

PS I am in actual fact VERY SLOW, so had nothing impressive to contribute here.....
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Don't listen to him Trek's look fab and ride beautifully do you think Lance would ride them just because of sponsorship???

Ok, I'm going to disregard any trace of sarcasm from that post, and take it as a green light for the Trek :P

And as for speed, the cheapo computer on the Bowery was working yesterday (although to be fair it's usually me that forgets to start it) and I recorded about 24mph, which I was stupidly pleased with. Think the lack of traffic jams in usual places had gone to my head and I notched up the pace. Only to find all hell had broken loose with the traffic further on :(

Good luck later LiT xx
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Jen J wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Ok, I'm going to disregard any trace of sarcasm from that post, and take it as a green light for the Trek
    :P

And as for speed, the cheapo computer on the Bowery was working yesterday (although to be fair it's usually me that forgets to start it) and I recorded about 24mph, which I was stupidly pleased with. Think the lack of traffic jams in usual places had gone to my head and I notched up the pace. Only to find all hell had broken loose with the traffic further on :(

Good luck later LiT xx

Get the Trek, I test rode a Madone 5.2 Pro amongst others a few weeks ago and it was fantastic :D
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2