Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    57mph coming down the main road from Highclere 3mph going up, almost 2 miles before you really need to pedal again, which is lucky because its a *****.

57mph? Hell's teeth!

I have no idea where that bit is. In fact, I never remember the route on sportives. :roll: The two fast descents that stood out were (i) a long, smooth descent in country lanes in the first 30 miles, and (ii) a short sharp descent with gravel at the bottom (there was a small group of us and the back wheel slipping a bit was momentarily unnerving). I was doing nowhere near 57 mph though.

A mate in my cycling club did 63mph coming off the Galibier, I think it was. That's just loony toons time.

Not on the sportive just the A343 road into Highclere, in fact it so steep that once at the top you can freewheel all the way to the next hill 2 miles away :shock:

two long 10%+ climbs in less than 5 miles, its a monster.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Jen J wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Loads of traffic out today. Had a half day and was looking forward to biking home on empty roads, but it's all mad out there.

I'm tempted to get a winter hack. Or rather, use my road bike as a winter hack, as I'm so close to buying the Trek Madone 5.2 on sale from my lbs (sorry jash)

Only thing stopping me is that I don't have any money :(

Don't listen to him Trek's look fab and ride beautifully do you think Lance would ride them just because of sponsorship???

Ok, I'm going to disregard any trace of sarcasm from that post, and take it as a green light for the Trek :P

And as for speed, the cheapo computer on the Bowery was working yesterday (although to be fair it's usually me that forgets to start it) and I recorded about 24mph, which I was stupidly pleased with. Think the lack of traffic jams in usual places had gone to my head and I notched up the pace. Only to find all hell had broken loose with the traffic further on :(

Good luck later LiT xx

no sarcasm, I have a Trek and will buy one again, not with SRAM kit though, yuk!
    and I change the wheels straight away other than that I'm very happy with my bike.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I tried to dress up as a scalp present today in full rapha winter training kit.... absolutely nothing doing. the lask of traffic was awesome though.

the rapha tights have the word Wheelsucker on the butt :lol:

WinterTights08_intro.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I tried to dress up as a scalp present today in full rapha winter training kit.... absolutely nothing doing. the lask of traffic was awesome though.

the rapha tights have the word Wheelsucker on the butt :lol:

WinterTights08_intro.jpg

800px-Strawberry%2C_kiwi_and_blueberry_tart_by_rmkoske.jpg
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    yep... I guess so. it's stunning kit though

Outside ITB's house
    CambridgeEngBikeParking.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Rich158 wrote:
    I've made 47 on Shooters Hill

Woah. I've not yet hit 40 on it, though I don't start pedalling ever until halfway through the turn. You have some large testicles, sir.

In fact, you all do. My fastest on the flat is low 30s - 32mph on the A4 by Heathrow, maintained for about half a mile, is the best I can specifically remember. On the hills I've never got to a point where I'm freewheeling beyond fast pedalling in the highest gear. I've hit 42.5mph on the Focus (about 135rpm in 50/12), coming off one of the Surrey Hills, and on the Trek 44mph on Dartmoor in the rain with a coach coming towards me. Having only had one speed wobble event (at 39mph on the Focus, though I reckon it was the poor road surface that was responsible) I really don't think I'll be getting up towards 50 any time soon unless I'm on the world's best tarmac.
  • cjcp
    Turn up the speakers, sit back and enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoeeq-BH4w
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    What bike do you ride biodino, our paths probably cross at some point

47 :? That's what my computer told me :shock: I'm not sure it was telling the truth though. I activated the speed trap at the bottom last night which gave me a reading of 29 when my computer was low 20's :?

Which turn? It appears pretty straight to me, or is it that I have my eyes closed in blind terror and don't notice the turn.

135rpm in 50/12 is impressive, I had 140ish (I was too scared to look down for long) in 52/17. I thought I was going to bounce myself out of the saddle :oops:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • biondino
    Sorry Rich, I was getting Shooters Hill muddled up with Broomfield Hill in Richmond Park :oops:
  • biondino
    Which reminds me, here's a great link to a map of the park:

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/docs/park_ ... ondMAP.pdf
  • cjcp
    Yep, I don't like going fast down that hill. Think I've done 37.5 max. It can be greasy on both turns, particularly the left turn.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    I did wonder, seeing as it's dead straight in both directions, does making it great for hitting the top speed though, basically you can go as fast as you dare :lol:

I love Broomfiled Hill, I overtook a BMW at about 35-40 there once. I didn't dare look back to see his face, and had some very iffy moments trying to carry my speed through the corners :?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    itboffin wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Loads of traffic out today. Had a half day and was looking forward to biking home on empty roads, but it's all mad out there.

I'm tempted to get a winter hack. Or rather, use my road bike as a winter hack, as I'm so close to buying the Trek Madone 5.2 on sale from my lbs (sorry jash)

Don't listen to him Trek's look fab and ride beautifully do you think Lance would ride them just because of sponsorship???

Ok, I'm going to disregard any trace of sarcasm from that post, and take it as a green light for the Trek :P

And as for speed, the cheapo computer on the Bowery was working yesterday (although to be fair it's usually me that forgets to start it) and I recorded about 24mph, which I was stupidly pleased with. Think the lack of traffic jams in usual places had gone to my head and I notched up the pace. Only to find all hell had broken loose with the traffic further on :(

Good luck later LiT xx

no sarcasm, I have a Trek and will buy one again, not with SRAM kit though, yuk!
    and I change the wheels straight away other than that I'm very happy with my bike.

I'm going to ask if I can take it for a test ride this afternoon...

I suspect that unless it's too big, it's a done deal. I don't think they'll budge on price, so what should I try and get included? Pedals? But what else?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Rich158
    Pedals are good, ti/carbon of course. I'd go for as many small items such as pumps, lights (always useful as a backup) as I can, in fact anything of a relatively low value as it carry's a lower mark up than high value items.

Good luck with the Madone, I've got to wait untill my 40th in Feb for mine :cry: Orders from the other half, evidently if I have it now it will spoil the surprise :evil:

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    Jen J wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Good luck later LiT xx

I'm going to ask if I can take it for a test ride this afternoon...

I suspect that unless it's too big, it's a done deal. I don't think they'll budge on price, so what should I try and get included? Pedals? But what else?

what's the price?
  • Jen J
    £1800 from £2300. Got Ultegra pedals and cleats, a couple of lights and some reflective rubbish. I'm not a natural haggler.

Yes. It's mine. :oops:

Test ride up to the common and back, fine on Wimbledon Hill, even though it's not a compact and my legs have almost no muscle. It's a beautiful ride. I'm in love.

Meet my new baby

They're just sorting it out, and I'm collecting it in an hour.

And my 705 arrived today.

Happy Christmas!
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    OK, you lot. I want you to keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm going into the orthopaedic place tomorrow in Essex to get a new cast and an inspection...

I'm quietly hoping they're going to say 'ahhhhhh those idiots in Ealing don't know jack, you don't need to be in plaster, what you actually need to be doing is lots and lots of cycling'

I realise this is unlikely, but keep your fingers crossed for me!

And wow, you guys go seriously fast! I was pretty chuffed to have bumped my top speed up over the 29mph mark on the fixie on the flat... must try harder.

Fingers are crossed - good luck!

I'd love to see someone hit 50mph on a fixie :lol: can human legs manage that speed without exploding?
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Many congratulations on your new arrival, Jen.

I'm looking forward to meeting him/her soon :D
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • biondino
    Jen, that puts my "ooh a seatpost" purchase into sharp relief! Nice work - I'm sure you'll love the mad one. They're great bikes regardless of snobbery from people like, er, me.

Make sure you learn how to use the 705 before the IoW!
  • biondino
    Hmm, off to the Welsh countryside on Boxing day and I don't have enough room in the car for my bike, gah! I guess I'll just have to eat and drink myself to death instead.
  • Jen J
    biondino wrote:
    Hmm, off to the Welsh countryside on Boxing day and I don't have enough room in the car for my bike, gah! I guess I'll just have to eat and drink myself to death instead.

Cycle there? :P
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    Jen J wrote:
    £1800 from £2300. Got Ultegra pedals and cleats, a couple of lights and some reflective rubbish. I'm not a natural haggler.

Yes. It's mine. :oops:

Test ride up to the common and back, fine on Wimbledon Hill, even though it's not a compact and my legs have almost no muscle. It's a beautiful ride. I'm in love.

Meet my new baby

They're just sorting it out, and I'm collecting it in an hour.

And my 705 arrived today.

Happy Christmas!

Okay I am very very very jealous, I hope the two of you will be very happy.

VERY

V
    E
    R
    Y

:evil:
  • itboffin
    So this afternoon whilst walking to a neighbours for an advance meeting with Santa what do I see? reindeer? NO, santa? YES but that's not the point... 123 yes 3 roadies cycling at speed past my house, how unfair is that, when i'm on foot they're everywhere :cry:

I was half tempted to chase after them shouting scalp, but the fear of appearing completely mental stop me.
  • Jen J
    Don't be too jealous, I've just found chipped paintwork on the top of the front fork. Pfft.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    iain_j wrote:
    OK, you lot. I want you to keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm going into the orthopaedic place tomorrow in Essex to get a new cast and an inspection...

I'm quietly hoping they're going to say 'ahhhhhh those idiots in Ealing don't know jack, you don't need to be in plaster, what you actually need to be doing is lots and lots of cycling'

I realise this is unlikely, but keep your fingers crossed for me!

And wow, you guys go seriously fast! I was pretty chuffed to have bumped my top speed up over the 29mph mark on the fixie on the flat... must try harder.

Fingers are crossed - good luck!

I'd love to see someone hit 50mph on a fixie :lol: can human legs manage that speed without exploding?

+1 - good luck LiT!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Jen J wrote:
    Don't be too jealous, I've just found chipped paintwork on the top of the front fork. Pfft.

How chipped? if it goes down to the metal take it back, in fact for that sort of money i'd take it back anyway, after a sneaky ride that is :roll:

It's carbon isn't it? don't take any risks, if it's been knocked who knows how hard.
  • cjcp
    Jen J wrote:

Nice looking bike, Jen. Time to go for a burn around RP. You should notice a real difference from your Triandrun steed, particularly when the road goes up.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

How chipped? if it goes down to the metal take it back, in fact for that sort of money i'd take it back anyway, after a sneaky ride that is :roll:

It's carbon isn't it? don't take any risks, if it's been knocked who knows how hard.

The frame is exposed for about an inch and a half across, a few mm wide.

I'm currently struggling with the 705.

The both of them are close to being thrown out of the window.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J
    cjcp wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Nice looking bike, Jen. Time to go for a burn around RP. You should notice a real difference from your Triandrun steed, particularly when the road goes up.

I did ride up Wimbledon Hill on my test ride, and found it very much ok. Was expecting to struggle, especially as I've only done a few miles commuting since my holiday and have become quite unfit over the last couple of months, but it was ok, even with the double.

Would have joined you for RP rides, but I'm working Mon-Wed, and am busy this weekend. :(
    Madone

It's all about me...