Silly commuting racing

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    MTB-Idle wrote:

I very much think it is. Rather ironically me and him had stopped at the Island Cafe in Southwark for a coffee last Tuesday and then he solo'd in on Thursday (which is my WFH day) and he crashed.

I quite like the idea of sitting there grabbing a caffeine and sugar hit and waving at you, ABFG and other CS7 regulars as they ride past.

Taking a macchiato hand-up on my way in sounds like a great idea!

@Kingstonian - no orange t shirt for this guy yet, ive only ever seen him in grey but the riding style sounds bang on so could definitely be him.

Pleasure to meet Rower, albeit briefly this morning. Did like the drizzle for a change although by the time I got to the city everyone had lost their heads had three separate incidents in the space of 200 meters!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yeah, the drizzle was quite pleasant tbf
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yeah, the drizzle was quite pleasant tbf

Dunno, my cap is currently making a unpleasant puddle under the coat stand. Also, there was some panic when I squeezed the brakes approaching the lights under John Lewis and not much happened.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Something happened in the segregated bike lane, just outside Temple tube station. Must have happened no more than 30 seconds before I arrived, but a cyclist was down on the pavement. Don't know if it was cyclist/cyclist, or cyclist/ped.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I pulled away faster at the lights (I'm a great lump; I'm not quick off the blocks, so he must have a cr@p moped).
    You can exert max torque at 0 RPM, so you have a big advantage over internal combustion engines at very low speeds. They're optimised for several thousand RPM, whereas you appear to be optimised for about 40.

Anything electric should also be able to get torque without revs, so you might have a bit more trouble with one of those electric mopeds...

Yup, I tend to use the ability to cross a junction smartly, as generally my commute bikes haven’t been fast, but with decent flats I can clear the junction before and thus be passed at a place of my choosing. Oddly for most part mostly other cyclist tend to be fairly sluggish of the line. Even if they are fairly rapid once going.
  • asprilla
    edited July 2019
    Decided to take the CX along the river and round the Tamsin Trail this morning. Foiled when I got to the end of the road and my freehub decided it would swing both ways. No engagement in either direction.

Probably just full of gunk so that's this evenings job.

Took the Dolan instead and took out my frustration in the park, and on a Castelli clad racing snake up Castlenau.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Flew in today, no one even got close! 42 achievements on Strava and even got a Garmin record (fastest 40k).

Nothing like a bit of Monday morning energy and a favourable tailwind to make for a great commute!

Very quiet out there though, hardly any bikes at all.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    Back in the game:
    New 28mm Vittoria Corsas and a tailwind = scorchio.
    About 5mins faster over 20km. 8)
    Always in stealth mode
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    J_MCD wrote:
    Flew in today, no one even got close! 42 achievements on Strava and even got a Garmin record (fastest 40k).

Nothing like a bit of Monday morning energy and a favourable tailwind to make for a great commute!

Very quiet out there though, hardly any bikes at all.

Jeez, is your commute 40k? Yowch .
    Props for all the achievements!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    Decided to take the CX along the river and round the Tamsin Trail this morning. Foiled when I got to the end of the road and my freehub decided it would swing both ways. No engagement in either direction.

Took the Dolan instead and took out my frustration in the park, and on a Castelli clad racing snake up Castlenau.

Does this mean the pawls are knackered? This has happened on my crosser a couple of times, and it's signalled the end of the freehub.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • A welcome return to the bike after too little riding last week. I found the new cycle lane had been attacked with chalk by a load of Vegans.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Does this mean the pawls are knackered? This has happened on my crosser a couple of times, and it's signalled the end of the freehub.

Probably. Will pull it apart tonight and have a look.

At that point I'll discover that the fix is simple but that during the dismantling I'll have either broken or lost something critical and then I'll have to buy a new bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • j_mcd

A bit more than that but it's (generally) a really nice journey, especially in the summer. I'd encourage anyone to give it a go.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2552881684
  • wolfsbane2k
    J_MCD wrote:

A bit more than that but it's (generally) a really nice journey, especially in the summer. I'd encourage anyone to give it a go.

Means I've got to join strava & follow you to see it -
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Probably. Will pull it apart tonight and have a look.

At that point I'll discover that the fix is simple but that during the dismantling I'll have either broken or lost something critical and then I'll have to buy a new bike.
    Could be knackered pawls or just gunk seizing them in place, or out of place. I was recently given a bike with old Shimano 600 hubs that did that, rebuilt the freehub and all is well again.
    Buying a new bike is a good alternative.
  • j_mcd
    J_MCD wrote:

Means I've got to join strava & follow you to see it -

Ah, that's not good. Find a village called Shalford (in Surrey) then draw a line to Canary Wharf going up Combe Bottom <snigger> and down Staple Lane (near Shere). Then just take the nicest most rural roads you can until you hit the bustling metropolis that is Kingston!
  • 2 things from yesterday's commute:

1. I have never bonked on a commute before. I have now.
    2. Darwin awards candidate is the laddo wearing a black vest that undertook a reverse-parking SUV whilst everyone waited patiently for the driver to complete the manoeuvre
  • asprilla
    Couldn't be bothered to fix the cx last night so decided to travel first class this morning, given the weather.

Lovely ride.

Had to stop and adjust the saddle as it was a little nose up. Not sure how that happened.

Almost stacked it turning from King St onto Cambridge Grove due to a combination of travelling too fast, wet road and a ped stepping into the junction. Brakes locked and the back wheel slid out substantially. There was puckering.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Asprilla wrote:

Almost stacked it turning from King St onto Cambridge Grove due to a combination of travelling too fast, wet road and a ped stepping into the junction. Brakes locked and the back wheel slid out substantially. There was puckering.

That's round the corner from me.

I'm always wary of those raised sections, they never seem to grip properly when wet.

Buried myself this morning in the aim of 'Project 32"

Managed 32.03 door to door. Hopefully with a fair tailwind that'll go this summer.

Took me 30 minutes to stop sweating. :lol:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • asprilla
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

That's round the corner from me.

I'm always wary of those raised sections, they never seem to grip properly when wet.

Buried myself this morning in the aim of 'Project 32"

Managed 32.03 door to door. Hopefully with a fair tailwind that'll go this summer.

Took me 30 minutes to stop sweating. :lol:

We are at opposite ends of Glenthorne Rd.

I only started this commute a couple of weeks ago and thought I was doing pretty well getting a 31kph average. Then I saw your times up Castlenau and kept my mouth shut.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • I think that's the busiest i've ever seen it. Now to stop sweating.

Had to stop for a drink last night, not sure if I was dehydrated or just made a bit too much effort to distance some fairweather chap who clearly didn't get my 'here for the summer' joke.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Could be knackered pawls or just gunk seizing them in place, or out of place. I was recently given a bike with old Shimano 600 hubs that did that, rebuilt the freehub and all is well again.
    An absolute classic way to do this is to regrease your hub bearings and add too much grease; that gets squeezed out, finds its way to the pawls, and encourages them to stick. Easily fixed by stripping down, cleaning and lubricating with very light oil; just be careful not to lose the pawl springs.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    What was that fog about this morning in Southampton, crazy for July and ~16C!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    What was that fog about this morning in Southampton, crazy for July and ~16C!

Temperature inversion, init.
    Very pretty to look at from this way though, but it wasn't quite thick enough to hide you scummers from my view... :lol:
  • wolfsbane2k
    "had" to take it very slow this morning as the bike wasn't really up to the challenge of power as chain was skipping.
    Meant my normal commute speed of about 17mph got dropped to 10mph, which was a comfortable speed in this morning's heat, however I got overtaken by about 15 individual riders, and overtook 2, - which felt really odd, as I normally only see 1 or 2 others on bikes in the morning.
  • cjcp
    TGOTB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    An absolute classic way to do this is to regrease your hub bearings and add too much grease; that gets squeezed out, finds its way to the pawls, and encourages them to stick. Easily fixed by stripping down, cleaning and lubricating with very light oil; just be careful not to lose the pawl springs.

Too complicated, and too messy.

Much easier to go with Asprilla's original approach of buying a new bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Also, it's soooooooooooooooooo nice riding in this weather.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Too complicated, and too messy.

Much easier to go with Asprilla's original approach of buying a new bike.
    Unless you're single, buying a new bike is *a lot* more complicated and messy than any maintenance job I can think of (except setting up a front mech, which is right up there with moving house and getting divorced).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    cjcp wrote:
    too hot
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,259
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    too hot
    wash your mouth out.

Morning off, so did a lap of the park at midday on my way in. I even relented and carried water on my commute. Beautiful.