Silly commuting racing

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    itboffin wrote:
    I might be in that there Londinium on the 22-23rd August and not working either
    Drink?
  • veronese68
    Went round Richmond Park with a couple of colleagues again, nursing a different newbie round this time. Made for a very leisurely lap, caught a glimpse of Rower as he passed in the opposite direction around Pembroke Lodge, didn’t notice in time to shout. Then went home from via Broomfield to expend the energy I hadn’t used to that point.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Went round Richmond Park with a couple of colleagues again, nursing a different newbie round this time. Made for a very leisurely lap, caught a glimpse of Rower as he passed in the opposite direction around Pembroke Lodge, didn’t notice in time to shout. Then went home from via Broomfield to expend the energy I hadn’t used to that point.
    It occurred to me that might've been you! Which reminds me, I must return your stem, on a day when I take the Bottecchia out...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • Leisurely spin up CS7 chatting with the nice chap on the white condor fixie, I really should ask him his name one day.

Nodders everywhere but I think you just have to let it all wash over you and wait for normal service to return in mid september.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    On the positive side this lead to cyclists achieving critical mass from Oval tube onwards particularly that bit where they have dug up the cycle lane just past the Oval lights heading north and forced cyclists onto the road in a little coned off section.

This is lethal. Has anyone else noticed that they've only cut out a very small 43cm section of curbstone and tarmacked in a small re-entry ramp. You need to hit that ramp at a steep enough angle to ensure positive re-entry onto the cycle lane. If you are going hard, then you definitely need a good swing to the right first, get as wide as possible before lining up to hit the hole at a suitable angle.

Poor guy yesterday found himself rubber up. He was on my wheel and he bailed at the last moment going through said reentry. So he carried along the road for 100m and then attempted further up. His angle was too shallow, and although the curb is dropped there is a small lip... went down pretty hard but appeared alright.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

This is lethal. Has anyone else noticed that they've only cut out a very small 43cm section of curbstone and tarmacked in a small re-entry ramp.

Yes, agree (although that is quite a precise measurement :lol: ).
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    in my years of commuting by bike & car i've seen a lot of things but today takes the biscuit, some nut job riding along the M4 J8/9 and during the evening rush hour.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    in my years of commuting by bike & car i've seen a lot of things but today takes the biscuit, some nut job riding along the M4 J8/9 and during the evening rush hour.

The bit that flows out of the A404?

Was it Greg? He loves a good A road.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Nope the inside lane of the M4
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    itboffin wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Back on bike after nearly 2 weeks suffering with a tweaked back.

Tri bars on the commute? Fair enough you leave them clipped on after whatever deviant activity you got up to at the weekend, but getting down on them every time there's 50 metres of clearish road? Also, shocking pink jersey with a ginger beard - taking the hi-viz thing too far.

That bodge up on the cycle lane just past Oval... I'll be running the gauntlet on the road tomorrow.
  • hopkinb wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Back on bike after nearly 2 weeks suffering with a tweaked back.

Tri bars on the commute? Fair enough you leave them clipped on after whatever deviant activity you got up to at the weekend, but getting down on them every time there's 50 metres of clearish road? Also, shocking pink jersey with a ginger beard - taking the hi-viz thing too far.

That bodge up on the cycle lane just past Oval... I'll be running the gauntlet on the road tomorrow.

Left the house at 5:30 so pretty much nodder free. I did come across those works with the bodged kerb, bunny hopped it like a pro, the man on an overpriced fluro cervelo but without the legs to work it behind me had no such skills so stuck to the road.

Else, I got stung by a bee in Balham, now I have a gradually swelling leg to contend with.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    itboffin wrote:

Probably safer than many cycle lanes.
    https://beyondthekerb.org.uk/how-to-design-a-death/

from title : "Cycling that's so dangerous it's illegal"
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    hopkinb wrote:
    Also, shocking pink jersey with a ginger beard - taking the hi-viz thing too far.

This is me 2 days of the week!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I did a commute. Get me.

It's been a while, but I'm now riding up to Hammersmith again. It's great.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • hopkinb
    Blowing out of my ears a bit after hooking up with quick single-speed guy and the alaphillipe lookalike (if you squint a bit) on a Scott. Sprint for the lights at Clapham Common hit 55 kph in 50-12, and single speed guy was bang on my wheel, his legs must have been revolving like road runner. Meep meep.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Gentle in for me after legs said no early on. Mildly irritated by hot spots on my soles of my feet in my new shoes which I have narrowed down to the cleat screws being too long. Shorter ones required!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251
    Asprilla wrote:
    I did a commute. Get me.

It's been a while, but I'm now riding up to Hammersmith again. It's great.

Castelnau is an absolute cyclist's dream now.
  • mtb-idle
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

This is lethal. Has anyone else noticed that they've only cut out a very small 43cm section of curbstone and tarmacked in a small re-entry ramp.

I'm WFH today but I just got contacted by my usual cycle to work buddy and he is in St Thomas's hospital. He was riding in today and as he went up this ramp apparently someone caught his back wheel.

The next thing he knew he came to, flat on his back some distance from his bike being attended to by an off duty doctor who happened to be passing.

An ambulance ride to St Thomas's and is now in recovery under observation for concussion having had a head scan and x-rays for possible broken ribs.
    FCN = 4
  • hopkinb
    Hope he gets well soon.

Having used the path yesterday, I took the road this morning. I suppose it's only practical if you can ride at the speed of traffic in primary, and/or don't care about being beeped/sworn at by drivers.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

I'm WFH today but I just got contacted by my usual cycle to work buddy and he is in St Thomas's hospital. He was riding in today and as he went up this ramp apparently someone caught his back wheel.

The next thing he knew he came to, flat on his back some distance from his bike being attended to by an off duty doctor who happened to be passing.

An ambulance ride to St Thomas's and is now in recovery under observation for concussion having had a head scan and x-rays for possible broken ribs.

If the BBC were to cover it they would describe the workman's attempt as "not fit for purpose"

Speedy recover to that man
  • mtb-idle
    edited July 2019
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

If the BBC were to cover it they would describe the workman's attempt as "not fit for purpose"

Speedy recover to that man

If a phone wielding pedestrian/lawyer/crown court judge were to cover it they would describe it as 50% his fault.

If Channel 5 were to cover it they would describe him (us) as a 'Scourge of the Streets'.

:lol: :roll:
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    double post
    FCN = 4
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I mean, of course! WTF is he doing lying in our roads? Does he pay road tax?
  • frogonabike
    frogonabike Posts: 157
    Incident at Queenstown, not sure on details but the roundabout was taped off with quite a few blue lights present. Last time they did that it was a cyclist under a skip lorry, hope it wasn't this time...

Quite a lazy ride in on the heavy bike but enjoyably so :)
  • Nice ride in given my Bee sting elephantiasis is calming down. While in the mix of an overly keen crackandfail rider with his dork disc still on, Mr Mapei, skinsuit fixie guy and another bloke who'd been trounced in the kit wars by said Mr Mapei, MTB-Idle turned up on my left abusing me for my half bar taped bike.

A nice bimble over Southwark bridge before a compliment on the vintage Boonen jersey.
  • veronese68
    ... MTB-Idle turned up on my left abusing me for my half bar taped bike.
    Only one bar is taped or you've taped half of the bike to protect it from scratches?
    No competition this morning, as usual, so was bumbling in what felt like a headwind. Then an angry little man in a shitty little car took offence at me joining a mini roundabout In front of him although there was plenty of room. At least there was plenty of room until he saw me and floored it to try and stop me, too little too late from him. He forced his way past in an entirely predictable manner seconds later shaking his head at me. I kept up with him at about 25mph then passed him when we got to a queue for the traffic lights a couple of hundred yards later shaking my head and laughing. We should probably sympathise with the underendowed rather than laugh at them but I couldn't help myself.
  • asprilla
    Nice ride in this morning. 5 weeks of laziness means I'm finding it hard. Garmin said this morning's commute requires 69hrs of recovery. Yesterday's commute home needed 3.5 days so things are trending in the right direction.

Saw Rhodri at the Rocks Lane junction this morning but didn't say high as we were on completely opposite sides of the bike box and I was turning left.

Barnes is still a dream to ride in.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    ... MTB-Idle turned up on my left abusing me for my half bar taped bike.
    Only one bar is taped or you've taped half of the bike to protect it from scratches?

After my right hand shifter had to be removed in anger, it needs new bar tape...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Asprilla wrote:
    Nice ride in this morning. 5 weeks of laziness means I'm finding it hard. Garmin said this morning's commute requires 69hrs of recovery. Yesterday's commute home needed 3.5 days so things are trending in the right direction.

Saw Rhodri at the Rocks Lane junction this morning but didn't say high as we were on completely opposite sides of the bike box and I was turning left.

Where does Garmin tell you your recovery time? On the device or Garmin Connect? I've not seen it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • asprilla
    elbowloh wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Where does Garmin tell you your recovery time? On the device or Garmin Connect? I've not seen it.

On my Edge 1000:

Settings 》 My Stats 》 Recovery Advisor 》 Enable.

If you are wearing an HRM it will give you a recovery time of between 6hrs and 4days when you save a ride.

No idea how useful it is but it's another metric.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3