Silly commuting racing

Comments

• hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Well I managed to get a scalp last night, I believe i did but does it count if I didn't actually see the person until I was passing them?
    Bike, no lights, dark clothes, riding near enough right in the gutter and I saw them as I was about half a metre behind their backwheel and about a metre further out in the road. Was shocked my lights hadn't picked them out before that! Had to re-orientate then front light, seems it had been shining a bit off to the right.
    But passed them and made my merry way into the distance. Would try to judge what bike it was (or even the rider), I know it wasn't a Brompton but it was so dark could tell nothing else. hehe
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    9 mile commute from Willseden to Borought this morning - passed 4 other cyclists (1 roadie who I scalped twice after he caught me at some lights and tried to make a go of it), and one POB in jeans (in this weather?) who must be this years contender for the RLJ Darwin awards, prick.

Oh and to the rather bedraggled looking lady I met at the lights on Lambeth road, I hope you found Vauxhall, my directions aren't great but you were going completely the wrong way!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Had my first scalp this morning at the foot of Shooters Hill :D I saw the guy in the distance and thought I'll have you, just cruised up behind him, checked out a rather nice road bike with mud guards, looked to be roughly the same FCN as me. Crusied past with a cheery MORNING, and proceeded to cruise effortlesly :? up the hill. I nearly died at the top though, but it was worth it :D
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    it was fricking wet this morning and a mixed bag for me I took one roadie who's still finding his way I think (he had plastic bags around his feet) After flying past him he caught me up at the lights and I asked him about them... said the endura overshoe was worth looking at. not really counting him.

I encountered a svelte looking roadie wearing london pheonix longs he was fast he noticed I was there and kept checking... we got to some light with a nice open stretch ahead and he left me for dead. not even a chance fair play. in that exchange we both took a roadie as well, at least it's an even score I guess
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T wrote:
    I'm off like an Essex girl in a Premier League hot tub ( apols LiTs)

:lol::lol::lol:

All the rumours about Essex girls are true. Note that I'm not FROM there, I just LIVE there. Some of the time.

Well, I convincingly passed everyone I saw this morning. That was one MTB, one MTB on slicks and one Hybrid. I saw a couple of roadies, but going t'other way. Damn it.

What lovely weather. It seems that I managed to pick the one half-hour period when it absolutely hossed it down to cycle to work. Bums. Sun's out now.

That Montane Velo jacket though, that's brilliant that is. Even though the rain was stinging my face and partially obscuring my vision, it kept me dry all the way to work.

All I need now is Montane Velo trousers. And shoes.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    What lovely weather. It seems that I managed to pick the one half-hour period when it absolutely hossed it down to cycle to work. Bums. Sun's out now.

Me too :(

And the tunnel of wind that nearly took me out

Traffic was almost the worst I've ever seen it, and no room for filtering (even my version of 'walking' with a foot on the kerb), and so I got off and walked on the pavement a few times, resulting in lots of rain on saddle and thus a very wet bottom :(
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Clever Pun
    when wearing winter clothing waterproofs are great as the sweat thing isn't a problem

I had northwave waterproof shoes, gore coat and over trousers and was super dry and toasty underneath that... shame my face stang from the near frosty water smashing my face.

I thought a buff would just get soaked and a cap doesn't work well with a skull cap... does anyone one have a suggestion how to get round those 2? is it worth it's own "Not my face" thread?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    when wearing winter clothing waterproofs are great as the sweat thing isn't a problem

I had northwave waterproof shoes, gore coat and over trousers and was super dry and toasty underneath that... shame my face stang from the near frosty water smashing my face.

I thought a buff would just get soaked and a cap doesn't work well with a skull cap... does anyone one have a suggestion how to get round those 2? is it worth it's own "Not my face" thread?

You need something with a peak... I have a waterproof beanie with a peak for snowboarding which is reserved for really cold rainy days... today I had a cap with me, but it was right at the bottom of my pannier bag and I couldn't be @rsed to retrieve it.

CP can you send a link to your waterproof shoes??
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

You need something with a peak... I have a waterproof beanie with a peak for snowboarding which is reserved for really cold rainy days... today I had a cap with me, but it was right at the bottom of my pannier bag and I couldn't be @rsed to retrieve it.

CP can you send a link to your waterproof shoes??

I need the ears covering as well they get painfully cold a grade 4 haircut will do that... I'm considering this
    http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=356

these are the shoes I currently use when it's pi$$ing it down
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Northwave_Celsius_J_GTX_Cycling_Boots/5360032088/
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:

I wear a Castelli Skullcap with a cycle cap over the top, covers the ears and keeps the head toastie. I've got a grade 2 shave on the bonce so hats are a must:

castelli-7585.jpg

Having a cold face has never worried me unless I'm skiing, in which case I just MTFU (or retire for a hot chocolate).
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've had a thought - should we get t-shirts printed with the letters CSR etched into a bar of soap (a homage to fight club)

????
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • il_principe
    edhornby wrote:
    I've had a thought - should we get t-shirts printed with the letters CSR etched into a bar of soap (a homage to fight club)

????

What does CSR stand for? :lol:
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    edhornby wrote:

????

And Dislegsia?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • il_principe
    Greg T wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

????

And Dislegsia?

Poor dislegsix; lyfes hard four dem.

I suffer from Dyscalculia. On the other hand it means I never realise quite how much money I spend on cycling (and wine).
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

I wear a Castelli Skullcap with a cycle cap over the top, covers the ears and keeps the head toastie. I've got a grade 2 shave on the bonce so hats are a must:

castelli-7585.jpg

Having a cold face has never worried me unless I'm skiing, in which case I just MTFU (or retire for a hot chocolate).

such a castelli fanboy :lol: you don't wear a helmet as well though do you?

when you're cycling to work you only travel about a mile damnit of course you're face ain't cold :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

castelli-7585.jpg

when you're cycling to work you only travel about a mile damnit of course you're face ain't cold :wink:

Oi! It's either 3.5 or 9.2 miles I'll have you know.

Nope, no helmet - I'm not a total gaylord. :wink:

Yep - I love Castelli stuff - 'cos it's brilliant.
  • Greg T
    Clever Pun wrote:

castelli-7585.jpg

JA is a bone dome decliner.

This image of him fresh from the morning spin

ArchbishopThomasCranmer.jpg

• il_principe
    And here's Greg T, enjoying a post ride crisp sarnie:

barry.jpg
  • Greg T

Crisp Sarnies are ace.

• il_principe
    Greg T wrote:

Crisp Sarnies are ace.

Well we can all see that you hold them in particular affection...
  • Greg T

Particular affection.....

If I were you I'd steer away from a discussion of "Particular affection" lest your secret be let out of the bag...

Those in big glass houses with lots of Judy Garland videos should not throw hissy fits and tiaras.

• il_principe
    Greg T wrote:

Particular affection.....

If I were you I'd steer away from a discussion of "Particular affection" lest your secret be let out of the bag...

Those in big glass houses with lots of Judy Garland videos should not throw hissy fits and tiaras.
    :oops:

Shhhhhhhhh Greg, a pint of Bombardier for your silence my good man.
  • Hmmmm, CP does water run down into the tops of those boots? As my shoes are currently extremely soggy the idea of waterproofing really appeals... and my feet got a bit cold this morning. :shock:

I am another bone dome decliner, which gives me a lot more leeway for wearing a proper cap with a decent-size peak (not those silly little cycling caps :wink: ) that actually keeps tha rain at bay/

That Rapha one looks good - I can't remember who makes the one I use, but the waterproofing stuff on the wool is really surprisingly good.

I don't have a grade anything on my head, so I rarely need it. It's like I'm already wearing a hat.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    As my shoes are currently extremely soggy the idea of waterproofing really appeals... and my feet got a bit cold this morning.

LiT I have just bought some Endura luminite overshoes - fully waterproof and very toasty, though thin and not too silly - looking
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • linsen wrote:
    As my shoes are currently extremely soggy the idea of waterproofing really appeals... and my feet got a bit cold this morning.

LiT I have just bought some Endura luminite overshoes - fully waterproof and very toasty, though thin and not too silly - looking

Endura luminite, eh? May invest in some of those. The DHB ones I got from Wiggle were not remotely waterproof, despite the description.
  • Clever Pun
    Hmmmm, CP does water run down into the tops of those boots? As my shoes are currently extremely soggy the idea of waterproofing really appeals... and my feet got a bit cold this morning. :shock:

yes that can happen (not if wearing waterproof trousers though) maybe sealskin socks folded over the top might work?

they certainly keep the water out or in :lol: and your nice summer shoes don't get trashed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    I'm considering these:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=NP07790

look decent, my current ones are Velcro and rather clunky.
  • I'm considering these:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=NP07790

look decent, my current ones are Velcro and rather clunky.

It's this that worries me about those:
    PBK site wrote:
    Breathable PU coating resists water for excellent foul weather protection

Resists, not repels...

I may be picking holes, but having already bought one pair of allegedly-but-not waterproof overshoes I'm wary!!
  • il_principe
    True but I don't plan on going wading in them...

Take your point though. The problem is that for all us clipless riders there's always going to be an entry point for water anyway.
  • True but I don't plan on going wading in them...

Take your point though. The problem is that for all us clipless riders there's always going to be an entry point for water anyway.

You make a valid point... But if they are waterproof on the tops, where the laces would be if you had them, that would be enough for me.

Stupid DHB ones weren't...