Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I had an interesting tete a tete with a fixed pearson rider this morning.. I saw him in the distance and gained through trafic and lights etc he had an annoying habit of going past the stop line but not really jumping through junctions even going through crossings on red but not moving on till the lights changed... worst of both worlds imo...anyway

I took him comfortably enough and he dropped in behind me the head wind was pretty noticeable... he'd try and take me a couple of times but never get quite as far as level with me and I'd push on just enough to put him back in his place. One final effort from him and he's giving it large and has hit level with me... I drop a cog and him in one simple soul crushing manoeuvre :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • ARGH! I know it's a long shot but I just need to ask something?

LiT - Is your nemesis on the red-rimmed bike riding a Langster?

He may well be. Whatever he's on, it's black, and it looks like it's had an after-market powder-coat because there are no decals on it whatsoever....

Oh, and PRJ45, you caught up with me up a hill... where there was a queue of traffic at the top so I wasn't exactly motoring, furthermore I have one gear...

I think your 'sorry I was trying to scalp you up that hill' says it all... :P
  • LiT - This guy was on one of the rather nice/rather tacky (depending on your opinion) union jack Langsters - the one's with the white frame and union jack decals (it also has a union jack saddle but I couldn't see that last night for one reason or another!)

Definately had red rims tho which is what made me think of the guy you mentioned!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    JonGinge wrote:
    Boys do not like girls overtaking them. Fact
    erm no, no we don't*

*actually, if it's a fair n square scalp then chapeau[/size]

Oh I don't know, I remember seeing Jon being overtaken by a girl and the look of horror and shame in his eyes has haunted me ever since...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    erm no, no we don't*

*actually, if it's a fair n square scalp then chapeau[/size]

Oh I don't know, I remember seeing Jon being overtaken by a girl and the look of horror and shame in his eyes has haunted me ever since...
    I do not recall such an incident (ahem, cough, cough)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • LiT - This guy was on one of the rather nice/rather tacky (depending on your opinion) union jack Langsters - the one's with the white frame and union jack decals (it also has a union jack saddle but I couldn't see that last night for one reason or another!)

Definately had red rims tho which is what made me think of the guy you mentioned!

Ah, no, I don't think that's my nemesis.
    Linsen wrote:

Hmmmm, no you don't do you boys? :wink:

I think us girls should get a +1 in the FCN as a result. Clearly it's a psychological +1 anyway... :twisted:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    LiT - This guy was on one of the rather nice/rather tacky (depending on your opinion) union jack Langsters - the one's with the white frame and union jack decals (it also has a union jack saddle but I couldn't see that last night for one reason or another!)

Linsen wrote:

I think us girls should get a +1 in the FCN as a result. Clearly it's a psychological +1 anyway... :twisted:

I wouldn't know, it's yet to happen. :twisted:

Linsen wrote:

*develops a diabolical plan to lurk around the Pimlico area this evening*
  • il_principe
    LiT - This guy was on one of the rather nice/rather tacky (depending on your opinion) union jack Langsters - the one's with the white frame and union jack decals (it also has a union jack saddle but I couldn't see that last night for one reason or another!)

Linsen wrote:

Could your pride stand a comprehensive scalping though?

Linsen wrote:

Could your pride stand a comprehensive scalping though?

It's OK Jash - I know you're faster than me! :D
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    On the girls scalping boys thought...as some of you know I ride with the missus to her work in the morning. She can pull a fair pace when she's on form dontcherknow!

Anyhoo, I always follow behind to ensure I'm not going to quick for her. I fairly often observe the phenomenon whereby a gap has opened between us, she overtakes a chap (chapeux), said blokey notices girl overt-ing him and decides...whatho I ain't 'aving no laydey o-taking me. Chappie speeds up and tries to scalp the missus, all the while said engagement unfolds before my entertained eyes.

Magic!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Littigator wrote:
    On the girls scalping boys thought...as some of you know I ride with the missus to her work in the morning. She can pull a fair pace when she's on form dontcherknow!

Anyhoo, I always follow behind to ensure I'm not going to quick for her. I fairly often observe the phenomenon whereby a gap has opened between us, she overtakes a chap (chapeux), said blokey notices girl overt-ing him and decides...whatho I ain't 'aving no laydey o-taking me. Chappie speeds up and tries to scalp the missus, all the while said engagement unfolds before my entertained eyes.

Magic!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyone else thinking what i'm thinking?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What, Litt's missus would beat you hands down too, ITB? :lol:

Well, no more SCR for me this week; I'm off to Montreal tomorrow. Have fun in the Big Smoke and out in The Sticks, chaps and chapettes.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Magic!

it's SCR not SCF'ing dude
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Magic!

Don't ... understand... joke... :shock:

@jashburnham - the scalp on your avatar looks like it has the same hairdo as me... I will be looking over my shoulder for a fashionista on a Touché...
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

Well, no more SCR for me this week; I'm off to Montreal tomorrow. Have fun in the Big Smoke and out in The Sticks, chaps and chapettes.

You lucky lucky sod. Montreal is amazing.
  • Littigator
    itboffin wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Magic!

Don't ... understand... joke... :shock:

@jashburnham - the scalp on your avatar looks like it has the same hairdo as me... I will be looking over my shoulder for a fashionista on a Touché...

Ignore him, he's being a Mr Smutty....we'll have less of you potty-mouth young man thankyouverymuch!

• cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

It is indeed; I was there this time last year too, when they had a record pre-Christmas snowfall. Walked up to Mont Royal from the town and I was sharing the path runners, cross country skiers and even one chap on a 'cross bike. I did wonder about taking my cycling gear and hiring a bike for a pootle on the Saturday, but this lurgi has put paid to that. Besides, I have a lot of work to do there, so I might well end up working on my laptop in a cafe eating cake and getting high on caffeine, watching the world go by. The coffe and cake will ease the pain.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

It is indeed; I was there this time last year too, when they had a record pre-Christmas snowfall. Walked up to Mont Royal from the town and I was sharing the path runners, cross country skiers and even one chap on a 'cross bike. I did wonder about taking my cycling gear and hiring a bike for a pootle on the Saturday, but this lurgi has put paid to that. Besides, I have a lot of work to do there, so I might well end up working on my laptop in a cafe eating cake and getting high on caffeine, watching the world go by. The coffe and cake will ease the pain.

Have fun CJ! It'll do wonders for the christmas spirit...
  • Littigator
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Jeez boy you're not sick again are you?

Anyway, have a great trip

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Not a SINGLE rider today, 14 miles and emptyness......The forcast of lots of snow and 15mph winds for the morning, JOY !!!!!
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    Jeez boy you're not sick again are you?

'Fraid so. I had this lurgi this time last year too. Th kids bring home bug after bug after bug. Little monsters.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oh what have I done :twisted:

Hadn't ridden my bike to work since September (as it was getting a bit cold) :oops:

After reading this thread I have been inspired to MTFU

Ride an Airnimal Joey (as I need a folder to take on the train and really didn't want a Brompton) from Paddington to the City FCN 10 after adjusting for SPD's and Baggies.

Have ridden in every day this week and bought a CatEye LD610, DHB Earnley 3/4 Bib-Tights and an Altura Night Vision Jacket.

Have overtaken a fair few Bromptons, MTB's & Hybrids (but I wouldn't count them as Scalps) But today I got my first 2 Scalps and it was so sweet a singlespeed MTB on skinnies and a fakenger on a singlespeed (even had a Abus lock around his waist).

I was riding along New Cavendish Street (near Marylebone High St) when I spotted my targets ahead of me in the cycle lane - they were riding together and I thought they were fixie's until I saw them freewheeling and at one point the fakenger almost rode into the back of his mate on the MTB - doah !!

The cycle lane ended and as we merged with the traffic I decided to see if these two were up for a bit of action so changed up a gear and passed them with ease - 'kept the pedal to the metal' and there was clean air between us. They eventually caught up with me whilst I was waiting at a set of lights got away sharpish (but without standing on the pedals) and they didn't even bother to make chase.

Have I sold my soul to Greg T ?? Will I ever be able to pootle down to the newsagents on a sunday morning with a hangover again ?? Why do I keep looking over my shouder more to see who is behind me ?? Are they higher up the FCN ?? Is that old lady on her shopper bike my nemesis ??

Even caught my self looking at Road Bikes in a shop at lunchtime and thinking about getting some higher close ratio gears fitted to my bike.

How do I leave this SCR thing :twisted:
  • itboffin
    Welcome simon_ramsey i'm afraid to say there is no going back once you've been infected.

Remember kids the SCR is for life not just for Christmas.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Simon Ramsay there is no escape - having said that I have just decided to sacrifice speed in favour of sanity / getting there in one piece over the winter. Till this September I had driven to work for 10 years, now I'm close to obsessed about the ride to work!
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • I know what you mean about the obsessed thing. I am already looking forward to my ride tomorrow. I suspect I have always been closet SCR. I have never been able to ride a bike slowly even if I just pop out for a bag of chips I have to cane it. I only have one gear - flat out !!

I'll take your advice though and think about slowing down a bit in the interest of getting there in one piece during poor conditions. Getting the tube isn't even an option anymore.
  • cjcp
    Welcome, Simon.

The Game now owns you. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Why do I keep looking over my shouder more to see who is behind me ??

How do I leave this SCR thing :twisted:

The answer to your first question is that you are not paying enough attention to the "show no outward signs of effort or interest" rule, looking behind you is a dead give away unless you can cloak it in a "permitted" quick look over your shoulder when pulling out to overtake man-oo-ver. Seasoned players will use plate glass windows / shiny boots of cars / echo location (I'm perfecting my ultrasound bat like) to warn them of danger.

The only real way out is to set such a blistering pace that you keep out of the high teens danger zone....... In this arms race however games lab HQ suggest that low 20's is the new high teens so get them feet spinning

Leaving SCR is easy you just tell yourself you aren't playing. I tried this tonight. As a piece of experimentation I remembered the scene in Fight club when Brad Pitt instructs the fighters to pick a fight and lose - it teaches something (can't remember what)....

Anyhoo - the traffic up to Parliament is jammers and I'm thinking - let's try it - lets just dawdle home and not care.

It was great.

Crisp clear air, town was looking great.

I drew up to a dude on a Felt Fixed who I lost in traffic and I was cool about it......

Parsons Green -the dude on the Felt was there 200m away and I reel him in really not trying. I'm five m off him and will collect him in time when.....

A guy in jeans on a road bike whips by

have you seen Das Boot?

ALLLLAAAARRRMMMMM

Bang

I'm off like an Essex girl in a Premier League hot tub ( apols LiTs)

Felt guy is spat off the back like shrapnel. Jeans wearing roadie feels the power of my awesome and I decide that Brad Pitt knows feck all about the Game.

I race myself over the Col de Putney Bridge and WIN

To answer your question you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Welcome
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    Spoken like a true champion :lol:
  • 5.5 miles and not another cyclist in sight :cry::cry:

Did overtake a fox though :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes