Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No SCR for me this morning. Man flu has struck again, so I'm working from home.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    No commute last night - came out of the office to find my front tyre completely flat so walked the bike home - some numpty had thought it good fun to smash beer bottles :evil: on the track yesterday which I thought I had managed to avoid but must have picked some up - got home to fix the puncture and found the inner tube was shredded so no commute this morning until I pick up a new tube - thats the second puncture in a month on the Maxxis - thinking of changing them for Schwarb Marathons - any opinons or suggestions welcome - bear in mind I have 26 x 1.5 wheels
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    CJ, it sounds like more than manflu - you shouldn't exert yourself with a chest infection dude!

I've been alarmed by all the talk of how insecure and squirmy Marathon Pluses feel in contact with the road - between that and their weight I'd rather risk the odd puncture and have fun/speed on my bike, I think.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Wasn't thinking of the Marathon plus - I don't think they do them in my size- but the standard Marathon - having said that the Maxxis are very fast - maybe I'll stick with them over the winter and swap for the Marathons when I go bikepacking in Scotland next year
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    edited December 2008
    Yes - I don't think it was particularly clever to go as fast as my lungs would permit last night.

Edit: deleted the bit about tyres because it was for a road bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino wrote:
    No cycling today - my run of consecutive days (about 8, I think) came to an end. Shame really as it's still lovely out, but I have been building up stuff at work I couldn't comfortably take home in my rucksack so this evening I'm going to shift the contents of a small shop back on South West Trains.

Cycled to Wandsworth last night at about 8.45 and enjoyed the Embankment. Actually, who am I kidding - it's impossible not to push it along there, especially when scalping someone, and I almost killed myself by the time I got to Chelsea bridge. But I could feel my thighs strengthening even as I rode so it's all good.

Oh no! But 8 days is good. I'm going back to Essex this weekend (hurrah!) so my long weekend rides are coming back, which I'm happy about. 4 weeks away from teh countryside is too long.

You should get panniers Blondie... go on... you know you want to. :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gtvlusso wrote:

I must admit that I find SCR all a bit silly though.....!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    And I get a bit too competitive about it - don't know when to back down - elbows out!!

No such thing as too competitive with SCR. Still no worthy competition on my route though.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    James, you seem to have a new avatar. Significant? Win a certain competition?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...Jay, Marathon Plus a must...

...me off the bike today due to ice this morning...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • il_principe
    JonGinge wrote:

No, but I know exactly to which competition you refer and have gone balls out to win it!
  • Another quiet commute in, and the first run out on the new (ie: old) Atala San Remo..

After a few confusing moments out of the house - swearing at my pedals as I try to catch the pedal properly (I knew there was a reason these old SL's were sitting in a box unloved - they're to stiff to rotate into an easily catchable position on their own) before realising I could actually freewheel on this bike; tapping away at the brake levers in an effort to change gear before remembering the gear levers are frame mounted..

As ever the first few roads were a mix of cars, vans and lorries, the handful of cyclists on Coronation Road preferring to use the comedy deathtrap that passes for a mixed use cycleway/footpath/arboretum, Redcliffe comes and goes, my hopes of picking up someone to race at Temple Meads are dashed when the few roadies waiting at the lights turn off towards the centre, leaving me and a couple of hybrids to face the Feeder.

Just before the lights change I meet my mark; the high pitched bee-in-a-can whine and grey blue cloud of a two-stroke scooter. He stops along side me at the ASL, revving as he waits for the lights to change.

We go on the first change of the lights, I get away first but fiddling for the faulty pedal costs me my lead, the scooter pulls away as with the snapping report of my cleats I push on in chase. The scooters speed begins to level out, the gap between us closing gradually I'm pushing myself hard but it's a short road; a mile long and almost flat.

A shoulder check, a white van a reasonable distance behind, not gaining.

The speedo reads 32mph and our distance is constant now, some 6-7m of air between me and him. Time to dig deeper.

I know the history of this bike; the old photos of the graceful Italian racer, laughing and smiling with his friends high in the Dolomites during training camps; other pictures the laughter replaced with a look of focus and determination, frozen in print as a part of a breakaway; the smiling man holding his wife, his bike and a trophy.

I know that even after the arthritis had stopped him from taking to the drops and warped his hands so they could no longer pull the brakes the bike was loved. Taken every month, cleaned and checked, a drop of oil for each link of the chain.

The scooter driver is tucked down, eking the last of the speed from his bike, my speedo touches 35mph, a new PB by some margin for my speed on the flat, but only for a second, my legs and back are screaming, unaccustomed to the fiercely low bars and drops. The gap between us stretches briefly before we both begin to slow for the lights at the end of the mile.

No scalp, but no loss of face; cheery comments from both the scooter driver and the occupants of the white van which had followed our race help ease the jelly legs as I pootle the last streets to work.
    FCN: 5
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

No, but I know exactly to which competition you refer and have gone balls out to win it!
    :lol: I suddenly seem to have a lot of winter socks ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Alright, alright... what are you two talking about?
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Nothing to see here. Move along
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Aha! I have found a certian competition on wiggle. You guys are like soooooooo busted.
  • il_principe
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Aha! I have found a certian competition on wiggle. You guys are like soooooooo busted.

Hands off, that's our competition.

Anyway you wouldn't like Castelli stuff, it's not cheap enough...
    :o:lol:
  • JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Hands off, that's our competition.

Anyway you wouldn't like Castelli stuff, it's not cheap enough...
    :o:lol:

:lol::lol:

I am too late anyway, damn it. Closed 30th of November, according to wiggle.
  • il_principe
    hehehe.

I better bloody well win!
  • jonginge
    hehehe.

I better bloody well win!
    Me too. Just looked at the money I've spent in the last year under the personal discount section. Not pretty reading :shock:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    Not as bad as the year before though, I note I've lost my platinum discount!
  • Two grown men talking about shopping for clothes... what is the world coming to? :wink:
  • il_principe
    I love clothes shopping! Rare for a straight man I know, but there you have it. Just bought 2 great shirts and ties from Liberty and a beautiful Duchamp one...

:shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I name my shirts. The shirt I wore for New Years 2007 (New Connaughts Rooms - has to be the best rave I ever went to DJ EZ rules all) is called 'The Shirt of Glory' I have only ever wore twice :shock: Both times I wore it were amazing nights.

I've since handed it to my brother and all the glory the shirt bestows....

<< Goes back to ranting and raving >>
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Arrrrrrgh DJ EZ hurts my soul.

He has been inflicted on my ears on many occasions by well-meaning friends, (one of whom DJs with him from time to time) along with occasional appearances by some eejit calling himself B-Live.

It hurts it hurts...

However I do have 'the boots of wisdom' that I became slightly obsessed about wearing to exams during my late teens...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'd comment, but then I remembered what I wore to the SCR party.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I name my shirts. The shirt I wore for New Years 2007 (New Connaughts Rooms - has to be the best rave I ever went to DJ EZ rules all) is called 'The Shirt of Glory' I have only ever wore twice :shock: Both times I wore it were amazing nights.

Is there anything you don't name :?: On second thought don't answer that! :wink:

So far we've found out you name your SCR encounters, now your shirts and I seem to also recall you naming the little lever near your brakes "The button of ultimate doom" or something similair :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

quitter :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:

I should MTFU eh. They do stock FFWD wheels I see...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

I should MTFU eh. They do stock FFWD wheels I see...

there's a good lad... getting christmas presents for yourself is awesome
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    L-i-t wrote:
    Arrrrrrgh DJ EZ hurts my soul.

Hearing you say that hurts my soul.

DJ EZ was the king of the garage scene. His mixes were so sweetly aggressive. They were perfect, new songs in their own right. This one time he touched me (on the shoulder in Club Vision - Croydon) and the next day I made a 90min mix tape (I had turntables and a mixer - DJ - in those days along with my Guitar for rock music...). The tape is called The tape of EZ or something to that affect... I still have it despite no having a tape deck to play it in.
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Is there anything you don't name :?: On second thought don't answer that! :wink:

So far we've found out you name your SCR encounters, now your shirts and I seem to also recall you naming the little lever near your brakes "The button of ultimate doom" or something similair :-)

You forgot my bike, Donovan.

I name all the things I love. I'm affectionate that way.... :oops:

I also have an over-active imagination. Its why my reality is such a colourful and astonishing place full of pleasure, passion and emotion! :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game