Silly commuting racing

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I must have been doing some asymmetric puddle splashing this morning: one bone dry foot, one sodden.

Lit, it may be the fabric of your dhbs or it could be (as is for me) water running down your leg and into the shoe. If you work out how to stop it let me know (zahada riddle 87)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    I must have been doing some asymmetric puddle splashing this morning: one bone dry foot, one sodden.

Lit, it may be the fabric of your dhbs or it could be (as is for me) water running down your leg and into the shoe. If you work out how to stop it let me know (zahada riddle 87)

Carefully rolled over sock tops, long walking socks pull up rolled back over a couple of inches at the top then snug the overshoes, should seal out most splashes.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen wrote:
    As my shoes are currently extremely soggy the idea of waterproofing really appeals... and my feet got a bit cold this morning.

LiT I have just bought some Endura luminite overshoes - fully waterproof and very toasty, though thin and not too silly - looking

Endura luminite, eh? May invest in some of those. The DHB ones I got from Wiggle were not remotely waterproof, despite the description.

I've got some Planet-X neoprene jobs. Bit bulky but nothing has got through them yet. In contrast to the lightweight waterproof ones I bought last month, which were about as much good as standing in a cold bath.

I'm driving in at the moment, having decided that minicabs are crap, and v uncomfortable seats, and are so badly sprung that my "progress" (ha ha; itself something of a joke) was being set back on a twice daily basis.

I miss riding in. :cry:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    jashburnham:
    I have very similar overshoes that are superb, keeps me toes toasty warm and dry (except for the usual water running in the top). They also look cool!

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=NP07795
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My DHB overshoes did an excellent job at not letting any water in, but ymmv...
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Don't have overshoes, feet get wet, I get to work and dry them out HTFU people!

In other news, I rode to work with an almighty hangover this morning, it felt like my feet were leaden weights and someone was hanging onto the back of my jersey. It was one of those "Is my back brake stuck on?" days. Also I swear there was a headwind on the Embankment this morning which is unusual.

So I pedalled twice as hard and almost lost my breakfast by the time I'd got to Trafalgar Square :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • dal105
    dal105 Posts: 31
    I're recently got myself a set of these after reading some good reviews

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Endura_Road_Overshoes/5360020535/

Kept my feet nice and dry this morning, and there were a serious number of puddles around.

Really easy to get on and off the shoes too thanks to the large zip at the back.

3654186546_76b76e8851.jpg
  • Hey look, it's a newbie!
    Just read the SCR and I come in at about 10, I'm afraid, so if I met any of you I probably wouldn't take any scalps, since commuting is on a folder thanks to South WEst trains. Never mind, getting a new one shortly with BIG WHEELS!!!

Still, there is one scalp I enjoy taking regularly just because he annoys me pootling along in an absent-minded way with his feet at rigt-angles to the frame. Oh, the satisfaction of passing him going uphill! First time I did it I said good mroning and really upset him! Now every time he sees me he's off doing bat out of hell impressions and looks back about every 10 seconds to check where I am. WAste of energy. What goes on behind you is not important - until it passes you trying to look as if it's no effort at all.
    He usually pulls a flanker through Woking market place instead of using the legit crossing point, but the moral victory remains all mine.........

Not really obsessed, just passing him makes my day
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...audaxvirgin...you have found the way of SCR...welcome...remember it's all in your head :twisted: :twisted: 8)
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Show no mercy, show no effort and don't talk about SCR :wink: Welcome and nice one on winding up your quarry.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Hmmmm, CP does water run down into the tops of those boots? As my shoes are currently extremely soggy the idea of waterproofing really appeals... and my feet got a bit cold this morning. :shock:

I am another bone dome decliner, which gives me a lot more leeway for wearing a proper cap with a decent-size peak (not those silly little cycling caps :wink: ) that actually keeps tha rain at bay/

That Rapha one looks good - I can't remember who makes the one I use, but the waterproofing stuff on the wool is really surprisingly good.

I don't have a grade anything on my head, so I rarely need it. It's like I'm already wearing a hat.
    I wear sidi goretex boots in winter. The water does trickle in from your leggings so i just make gaiters out of plastc bags which I tuck under the leggings and drape over the top of the boots and it's just about dry, even this morning, which is quite ironic as I was so pleased with my invention that I failed to notice that the bike path was a solid sheet of wet ice and fell hard on my @rse, and got soaked so my feet were the only dry bit from the waist down. My mate fell off two seconds after and we had to abandon and go on the road through town which was bloody awful.
    Dan
  • It was definitely the fabric on the DHB ones - they were wet through on the tops of my feet, but not at the top of the overshoe where it meets my tights. Water also crept up through the soles, but that's to be expected.

Bl**dy cr@ppy mutter mutter...

Biondino - which ones did you have and what does ymmv mean?

Littigator - shut it. My shoes are still wet now despite being stuffed with newspaper and sitting on a radiator.

So neoprene is the way forward, it seems... Or I might buy some belt-and-braces MTB ones.

Audaxvirgin - welcome! I like this: 'What goes on behind you is not important - until it passes you trying to look as if it's no effort at all.' Class.
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    Myk-ee wrote:
    jashburnham:
    I have very similar overshoes that are superb, keeps me toes toasty warm and dry (except for the usual water running in the top). They also look cool!

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=NP07795

Cool-looking overshoes? Nope. No such things.

Kids say I look like a leprechaun in mine.....
  • jonginge
    I've got the same as dal105 and a wet foot. I've seen a few people praise the PRO tarmacs. Hmmm, ponders....

ymmv - your mileage may vary
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I don't really think I have anyone to SCR against... It sucks.. I see very few cyclists... In fact I can't call them that really... Only chavs on BMX's going at walking pace trying to look cool, do they count? And I'm not quite sure where I come.

Felt Q520 08 + Casuals and a backpack... ?
    "Clothing:
    None +3" Pure awesomeness!

A Felt Q520... My baby and first serious bike! - http://is.gd/9Vab
  • Littigator
    esamenoi wrote:
    I don't really think I have anyone to SCR against... It sucks.. I see very few cyclists... In fact I can't call them that really... Only chavs on BMX's going at walking pace trying to look cool, do they count? And I'm not quite sure where I come.

Felt Q520 08 + Casuals and a backpack... ?

Hmmm, personally i would still ride past them shouting "HTFU" punching the air and generally acting like you've just won the TdF

• Oh good. I see it's raining again now that it's almost time to ride home.

God forbid the clear skies should stay around for an hour or so more. :roll:

I was even in a church recently. FFS.
  • itboffin
    I could be available for hire - strictly SCR services only before anyone asks :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    According to my Nokia Sport Tracker data I only rode seriously 10 times last month totalling 185 miles, that's a record low for me. But I did have Man Flu for almost two weeks :cry:

whow! whow! is me :cry:
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Littigator wrote:
    i would still ride past them shouting "HTFU"

what is this H thing about in place of the more usual M - I'm feeling confused and frightened by this change.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jonginge
    Blue fricking skies all day except commute times. Why I oughta...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

what is this H thing about in place of the more usual M - I'm feeling confused and frightened by this change.

I have only just realised what that meant but yeh.. whats with the H?
    "Clothing:
    None +3" Pure awesomeness!

A Felt Q520... My baby and first serious bike! - http://is.gd/9Vab
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Greg T wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

A "chapeau" to the French, perhaps?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Harden The Fcuk UP.
  • linsen wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

A "chapeau" to the French, perhaps?

:lol::lol::lol:

'Homme' TFU... I love it!!

I think he means Harden TFU. I prefer HommeTFU.
  • Greg T
    Harden The Fcuk UP.

When did this replace MTFU in common useage.

Has Litts gone all "health and safety" on us and is now the diversity officer?

• Greg T wrote:
    Harden The Fcuk UP.

When did this replace MTFU in common useage.

Has Litts gone all "health and safety" on us and is now the diversity officer?

He might be trying to be 'polite'.

God knows why... :shock:
  • Littigator
    Greg T wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Ahhhh T...good man welcome back where the bloody hell have you been eh? On sabbatical or something?

Anyway, the 'H' to which you refer means 'HARDEN'...d'yousee?

• Littigator
    Hmmmm, I see various other posters pipped me at the P so to speak!

Anyhoo, there we have it...a non gender specific (by GOD, those damn liberals will be the death of me) version of the aofrementioned MTFU!

Asyouwere!

• Greg T
    Littigator wrote:
    a non gender specific version of the aofrementioned MTFU!

Who put you up to this?

A chap takes his eye off the ball for a moment and suddenly they are selling Tofu in the Kebab shop, Beer is out and placenta smoothie is in and we are using non gender specific terms of abuse.

I presume you didn't go to a rock concert on Christmas drinks night but instead had your balls removed and your manny installed.

How are the stitches Gladys?