Silly commuting racing

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have toyed with the idea of a SS. Some of my commutes would allow me to travel on mainly flat roads, with gentle inclines that would be doable with a single gear. One day maybe, I'll move over to the dark side!

Strong in the torque this one is.... :evil:

Mind you - I have a bleeding 18 speed thingy and I use precidely 3 of them. Well.... really only two on a standard commute, and one of them only on the long downhill stretches.

God damn it - I'm a SS in disguise!

I know what you mean about having all the gears and only using a few. I've got a triple on the Giant and only occasionally use the big ring up front (normally going downhill or when wanting to really put the hammer down on a flat). The granny ring gets even less usage as I will only use that when absolutely necessary and I haven't been near those roads for a while due to where I'm working.

This means i spend most of my journey on the middle ring up front and only use about 5 of the 7 cogs at the rear for most roads!

I did try riding the old road bike on a single gear when I was working fairly local once and it was quite fun! This was partly due to laziness as I'd got so used to the riding position on the Giant I didn't feel to safe scrunched up on the old one and the gear shifters are on the downtube!

I find that I simply don't use the middle ring or the granny gear. Personally I find the middle ring too easy... weird. Plus the set up means that something is rubbing when I get lower down the back sprockets. Personally I think I actually slow myself down because I'm using far more energy pushing my 50 than spin my 39....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've got a triple on the Giant and only occasionally use the big ring up front

You do realise what you've just done don't you? No? Given the FS/SS brigade a ton of ammunition to question your masculinity for fessing up to that. And to be fair, its not just the FS/SS gang, I think the rest of us are starting to wonder about the size of your cojones.

MTFU and get on the big ring!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Wrath Rob wrote:

You do realise what you've just done don't you? No? Given the FS/SS brigade a ton of ammunition to question your masculinity for fessing up to that.

It's not as bad as you think: there's nothing particularly masculine about riding around on a 46 or 48 either. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DDD - Now that's interesting and something I hadn't spotted. The newer SCR has a different setup up front. My setup is 52/42/30. I guess the extra 2 or 3 teeth make a difference!
    I'm also running a slightly different cassette which is an 8sp 12-25 (yours goes upto 26)
    For me changing from the middle to big ring is roughly the same as dropping 2 cogs at the back.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Wrath Rob wrote:

You do realise what you've just done don't you? No? Given the FS/SS brigade a ton of ammunition to question your masculinity for fessing up to that. And to be fair, its not just the FS/SS gang, I think the rest of us are starting to wonder about the size of your cojones.

MTFU and get on the big ring!

I'm comfortable enough with my riding style to own up! The extra boost of acceleration I can get from the single change up front is normally enough to despatch most wannabes.
    Just remember I have 23 more options then a SS!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    *Rant mode on!*
    I think you are all being a little elitest!

My SCR3 is my first road bike. I got the lycra, the SPD-SL's (should have went SPD so I can walk....), the wrap arounds and the Specialized Propero £70 helmet. I by no means am ready to race or would consider myself fast.

I'm one of those guys that would get scalped by FG/SS regularly (Except rolled up trouser wearing Charge Plug-ites I would destroy them). I'm not fake, I strive to get better on my bike and become a proper rapid roadie. Its easy to say "OOooo you roadies that sclaped by my one gear should hand over your bikes" when you been riding a FG/SS for a good long while and also race a roadie in sportives or at some competitive level.

What if you're, like me a beginner, like me? You expect me to ride a SS/FG from the off? I don't have the muscles for it, that's what my road bike is for!

True FG/SS (not rolled up trouser wearing Charge Plug-ites) are the domain of the proper cyclists, race ready roadies and couriers people who have the developed muscles and stamina to know what they're doing.

Having seen Bassjunkie in action he could make that leap. Me? Not so muh, I don't see it as shameful the whole point is that I'm a newbie, enthusiastic about the roadie world and who wants to get faster! Next year or the year after I might buy myself a single speed or fixed gear bike but right now I'm not ready.

*Rant mode off!*

SS/FG should remain above hairy roadie, not because the bike is faster but because the guy on the bike is likely to be faster than hairy roadie. It still should remain lower than shaved roadie because shaved roadie clearly rides/races for a team/club and most likely owns or has owned a SS/FG - example = Jashburnham

MTFU DDD! :D

BTW I neither belong to a club nor do I race (apart from SCR :lol: ).

Also I am not shaved. :shock:
  • My setup is 52/42/30.

Running a triple and freewheeling? Its good that you can own up to it.

Ride safe home peeps...
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    because I'm using far more energy pushing my 50 than spinning my 39....

Arghhhh again fella, MTFU! :twisted:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I did think about going SS when I ordered the new bike as my commute doesn't have any serious hills on it but decided that I needed something that would let me go bikepacking on occasion (cue for GregT to make rude remarks about ramblers/red socks etc) which Is why I bought the Giant - plus the fact that to go anywhere out of Swindon you have to climb big hills either onto the Downs or the Cotswolds - I have to say there is something very cool about the SS bikes - one day maybe.................
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My setup is 52/42/30.

Running a triple and freewheeling? Its good that you can own up to it.

Ride safe home peeps...

On Monday I visited one of your LBS in Newbury this may now become my LBS those guys we're so helpful and stock a massive range of kit, they even called Shimano with my big RING query, as of tomorrow my road bike will become 53/39T and the SS gets a winter make over 50/16T.

Seems there are a few of us in and around Wiltshire/Hampshire perhaps we could muster enough troops for a "yokel" branch of the SCR Friday drinks.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    cjcp wrote:
    Request SS/FG be placed below all proper road bikes, Shaved or hairy?

Where do cyclo-cross bikes fit into the grand scheme of things? I occasionally have to commute to work on mine on Fridays or Saturdays if heading off for a weekend away racing immediately afterwards. By which I mean 'proper' cross bikes - no guards, no slicks, no triple chainsets or long-arm rear mechs, and not a hybrid/touring frameset with rack mounts, guard eyes and/or 135mm back end spacing trying to pass itself off as a cross bike (Van Nicholas Amazon, Specialized Tricross, etc.)!!

David

Road bike IMO. But, I think you'd skin us all alive whatever you were riding. :)

Cheers - that's put me in a good frame of mind for Sunday's race in spite of a taxing day at work today! :)
    My arm also feels slightly less like it's been whacked with a steak tenderiser (training accident on Wednesday afternoon), so things are looking up....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2008
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    *Rant mode on!*
    I think you are all being a little elitest!

My SCR3 is my first road bike. I got the lycra, the SPD-SL's (should have went SPD so I can walk....), the wrap arounds and the Specialized Propero £70 helmet. I by no means am ready to race or would consider myself fast.

I'm one of those guys that would get scalped by FG/SS regularly (Except rolled up trouser wearing Charge Plug-ites I would destroy them). I'm not fake, I strive to get better on my bike and become a proper rapid roadie. Its easy to say "OOooo you roadies that sclaped by my one gear should hand over your bikes" when you been riding a FG/SS for a good long while and also race a roadie in sportives or at some competitive level.

What if you're, like me a beginner, like me? You expect me to ride a SS/FG from the off? I don't have the muscles for it, that's what my road bike is for!

True FG/SS (not rolled up trouser wearing Charge Plug-ites) are the domain of the proper cyclists, race ready roadies and couriers people who have the developed muscles and stamina to know what they're doing.

Having seen Bassjunkie in action he could make that leap. Me? Not so muh, I don't see it as shameful the whole point is that I'm a newbie, enthusiastic about the roadie world and who wants to get faster! Next year or the year after I might buy myself a single speed or fixed gear bike but right now I'm not ready.

*Rant mode off!*

SS/FG should remain above hairy roadie, not because the bike is faster but because the guy on the bike is likely to be faster than hairy roadie. It still should remain lower than shaved roadie because shaved roadie clearly rides/races for a team/club and most likely owns or has owned a SS/FG - example = Jashburnham

MTFU DDD! :D

BTW I neither belong to a club nor do I race (apart from SCR :lol: ).

Also I am not shaved. :shock:

Then why on Earth you have a £5000 bike. Jaysus, some dudes are just born lucky!

I'm not hating, don't hate the player hate the game and all that jazz!

More power to ya! I also think your right, read post below. :P
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    The war rages on!

Balham train station heading towards Tooting Bec, it's straight, wide and a mostly level drag strip.

The traffic lights are red, me at the white line and a Specialized Langster behind me.

Green.

I push off slow not really interested having just detoured onto this route after three near misses (they obviously were handing out stupid and blind pills to motorists in South West London today, but that's another story).

The Langster overtakes and he guns it. Past the train station he starts spinning and I catch up at around 21.+mph, I notice he isn't going any faster and I'm now starting slowing to overtake.

I make my shapes. Boggy at 5 o'clock.

My thumb on my right hand caresses the sora shifter, known henceforth as the 'button of absolute doom!' The chain slips down skillfully and silently as though it were the cold chilling hand of death running over the back of a victims neck.
    "You really should have bought some gears with that bike mate"

Bam!

I release the missile and his soul has followed his scalp, I'm sure! 25.+mph and I hold it, practicing all week for this, until the lights.

I look over my shoulder he doesn't even try to keep up, after he tried so hard at the start its pathetic and quite sickening.
    Would you like a card with MTFU written on it mate complete with explanation?

First to the lights, he finally gets there and I look at him, while he avoids eye contact. I won, he lost, first single speed scalp claimed in a drag race.

Who's next?

The war rages on!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Wrath Rob wrote:
    Blue t-shirt, black 3/4s, black boardman, florescent ruck sack, red/white helmet.

Did someone go by you this evening opposite Battersea Power Station (or a bit further along)? About 7 or just before?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The war rages on!

Balham train station heading towards Tooting Bec, it's straight, wide and a mostly level drag strip.

The traffic lights are red, me at the white line and a Specialized Langster behind me.

Green.

I push off slow not really interested having just detoured onto this route after three near misses (they obviously were handing out stupid and blind pills to motorists in South West London today, but that's another story).

The Langster overtakes and he guns it. Past the train station he starts spinning and I catch up at around 21.+mph, I notice he isn't going any faster and I'm now starting slowing to overtake.

I make my shapes. Boggy at 5 o'clock.

My thumb on my right hand caresses the sora shifter, known henceforth as the 'button of absolute doom!' The chain slips down skillfully and silently as though it were the cold chilling hand of death running over the back of a victims neck.
    "You really should have bought some gears with that bike mate"

Bam!

I release the missile and his soul has followed his scalp, I'm sure! 25.+mph and I hold it, practicing all week for this, until the lights.

I look over my shoulder he doesn't even try to keep up, after he tried so hard at the start its pathetic and quite sickening.
    Would you like a card with MTFU written on it mate complete with explanation?

First to the lights, he finally gets there and I look at him, while he avoids eye contact. I won, he lost, first single speed scalp claimed in a drag race.

Who's next?

The war rages on!

I think this just goes to prove that your average SS rider just wouldn't present a problem for a geared roadie.

We all know there are exceptions, there are some very quick SS, usually couriers or the racing snakes who use one for their commute. It is when you find these little gems that the real battle will unfold :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • My thumb on my right hand caresses the sora shifter, known henceforth as the 'button of absolute doom!'

Shifting is cheating, gear for gear that guy owned your ass.[/quote]

Racer FCN 2
  • Wrath Rob
    Greg66 wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Blue t-shirt, black 3/4s, black boardman, florescent ruck sack, red/white helmet.

Did someone go by you this evening opposite Battersea Power Station (or a bit further along)? About 7 or just before?

Moi?

Yeah, in black and red. I'm not commenting on their speed or my effort until I know more :x
  • Jay dubbleU
    Shifting is not cheating - its making use of available resources - no one is forced to ride SS
  • On Monday I visited one of your LBS in Newbury this may now become my LBS those guys we're so helpful and stock a massive range of kit, they even called Shimano with my big RING query, as of tomorrow my road bike will become 53/39T and the SS gets a winter make over 50/16T.

Seems there are a few of us in and around Wiltshire/Hampshire perhaps we could muster enough troops for a "yokel" branch of the SCR Friday drinks.

Dude, I have sent a PM. Let the "Country Mice" unite :D

Racer FCN 2
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Moi?

Yeah, in black and red. I'm not commenting on their speed or my effort until I know more :x

Your scalp's in the bin in my kitchen :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • My thumb on my right hand caresses the sora shifter, known henceforth as the 'button of absolute doom!'

Shifting is cheating, gear for gear that guy owned your ass.

I don't follow that. The SS was overtaken and thereby scalped. How does the person getting passed get to own anyone? :?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I don't follow that. The SS was overtaken and thereby scalped. How does the person getting passed get to own anyone?

Its just science. Having to notch up a bigger gear to overtake a SS is rather shameful. A gentleman would say, "Pardon me sir/ma lady, what gear ratio are you running?" To which the pursuing cyclist would select a similar gear and let the duel commence.

To rely on a bigger gear alone is rather unsportsmanly, or a cheap win IMO.

Racer FCN 2
  • Nah.

If the singlie's got a problem he should man up and ride a taller gear. Fair and square scalping.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Shifting is not cheating - its making use of available resources - no one is forced to ride SS

The baby Jesus makes me do it :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    I don't follow that. The SS was overtaken and thereby scalped. How does the person getting passed get to own anyone?

Its just science. Having to notch up a bigger gear to overtake a SS is rather shameful. A gentleman would say, "Pardon me sir/ma lady, what gear ratio are you running?" To which the pursuing cyclist would select a similar gear and let the duel commence.

To rely on a bigger gear alone is rather unsportsmanly, or a cheap win IMO.

I find it disappointing that you would try and deny my scalp on a technicality that my bike has more technology (gears) than a SS/FG when you have been floating around speaking up the marvel of the vogue single speed bike. That's unsportsmanly.

If everytime I scalp one of you and it will continue and you start crying "oh my gear inches were smaller than he's" simply MTFU or hand over your bikes and take the bus/train/boat to work!

Does a boxer say ""But he was stronger than me"? Does Lewis Hamilton complain saying "His car was better than"? No! They Man-The-F*ck-UP get on with it and use whatever they have too their advantage, its talent and skill realised that determines whether a person is left wanting or not and not technicalities like science and gear inches.

I'm not going to count the teeth on a bike before I scalp, nor am I going to ask how many gear inches before I ride into the distance that is the mystery of the horizon. I'm merely going to pass him, claim my scalp and revel in the glory!
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'm back in the office. How queer.

*looks around, baffled
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:
    I'm back in the office. How queer.

*looks around, baffled

You're the office queer? Does your gf know?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Ok - apart from those of us who have messages from above or have been listening to the little voices in our heads (again)or possibly playing the banjo more than we should, no-one is compelled to ride SS and those of us who are gear freaks will continue to hunt you down and scalp you at our leisure (says he who has actually now done two commutes on this brand new shiny bike and scalped no-one as yet) :oops:

Good idea about the 'Yokel' meets though :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Ah - Heisenberg's syndrome, Biondino - means you don't know who you are and where you are at the same time - I get it all the time 8)
  • Wrath Rob
    Greg66 wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Moi?

Your scalp's in the bin in my kitchen :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Why, what FCN were you tonight? I think my scalp is safe with me.

Did you turn off at Battersea Bridge? I know that you went past pretty quickly but not quickly enough to disappear altogether. I was busy dealing with some idiot on an MTB that confused riding like a dick with riding quickly