Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I forgot that it is in fact possible.

Hey there's a difference between what's possible and right.....

Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man = wrong

demo.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DDD, it was the fear of "oh you think we all look the same, eh, typical racist" :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg T wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

demo.jpg

Nah, this is wrong:

dennis_rodmania.png

Rodmania.
  • Greg T
    biondino wrote:
    DDD, it was the fear of "oh you think we all look the same, eh, typical racist" :)

The only person we can categorically (and scientifically prove) looks like someone else is in fact Biondino and Moby.

FACT.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12583630&highlight=moby

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg T wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

demo.jpg

Wesley Snipes kissed a man in a film once, even if he was paid for it that's so gay.

And with one of the most sweeping generalistions ever. Any black man willing to dye his tight nubian curls is gay or has explored his sexuality more than just merely asking the question whilst looking in the mirror. It (dyeing of the hair), in my mind, amounts to the same thing as riding a hybrid or having both ears pierced.

*disclaimer* Obviously I don't believe that and am aware that hair colour dyed, styled or otherwise does not infact relate to your sexuality. Riding a hybrid, however, does relate to your sexuality or at the very least brings it into question. Although, it doesn't make you inherently bad as a person... well maybe just a little. *disclaimer*

This brings up other questions and am going Politically correct here:

How come there aren't that many ethnic commuters?

Am I like the only ethnic minority type on this site?

Why if fast twitch muscles, strength and power (as used in the 100m sprint) extend to sprinting on a bike and Kenyan's have dominated long distance running for decades are there no top black cyclists in either sprint competitions or Tour's like the Tour de France?

(There I said, got it off my chest and feel better f4or it)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    I remember this debate rearing it's head a while back. Why are there so few black pro cyclists? It's an odd one really, especially given that cycling is so big in France and France has a very high number of black athletes - mainly in football - largely as a result of their colonial past I guess. And you're right it's the same with commuting, it seems to be largely the preserve of the white and middle class. I see the odd black roadie but really most of the black guys I see on bikes are pavement riding teens.

I reckon African marathon runners would make kickass tour cyclists.

Any ideas?
  • Greg T
    Personally I want as few black guys on bikes as possible, it's just extra competition that I just don't need.

There's loads of ethnic commuters though, the welsh love their bikes (Cooke et al) just don't eat their food whatever you do, horrid foreign muck, lava bread = jaysus.

• biondino
    There have been efforts to get East Africans onto bikes - obviously running is a lot easier and cheaper if you're rural poor but you're right, there is a type that appears pretty much suited to stage racing-style cycling. Let me see if I can find the article I'm thinking of.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I think there's a French Velo rider who is...
    damn I don't actually know the correct-PC-non offensive term these days. PC is such a bloody minefield.

... of an ethnic minority.

For some reason I find the fact that Homer is yellow just adds to this topic.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:
    There have been efforts to get East Africans onto bikes - obviously running is a lot easier and cheaper if you're rural poor but you're right, there is a type that appears pretty much suited to stage racing-style cycling. Let me see if I can find the article I'm thinking of.

I suppose there's Rahsaan Bahati:

lmasheawaitsthestartCYCMBG1156-vi.jpg
  • DonDaddyD
    Nah, this is wrong:

dennis_rodmania.png

Rodmania.

I like Rodman (though his name is so obvious there is no point making fun of it)

He is the epitome of 'looking so gay he clearly isn't'. His freakyness implies that he has buckwild sex that I can only dream of! That and the fact that he used to tap Madonna (when she was in her prime) means that he sits above the judgements of us mere mortals.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:

Impressive stuff - and no EPO in sight. It'd be great to see these fella's in the tour, imagine what they could do with proper training.
  • Interesting article.

It is interesting how few of them there are, you almost never see ethnic people on bikes, except as someone already said, riding MTBs on pavements.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, ethnic minorities are prevalent in many other sports, such as running, football, basketball, or even cricket, and the up-and-coming athletes would perhaps aspire to be like an existing sporting hero in a minority, and therefore set their sights on one of the sports mentioned above, rather than blazing the trail into uncharted territory, like cycling...

Just a thought... clumsily expressed.
  • biondino
    Though now you say it, the svengali behind them could be EPOing them to the gills - they would just trust him, and they wouldn't be getting tested, and it would certainly give him a lot more publicity...

God, pro cycling makes you cynical :)
  • Greg T
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I like Rodman (though his name is so obvious there is no point making fun of it)

Since when have we been in the "oh so subtle and clever" space?

ROD-MAN

Geddit!!!

Also "Buckwild sex" is going to be my buzzword for the weekend.

However with Mrs T currently nursing our 6 week old daughter I expect to be using it in non personal terms.

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I remember a few months back, before I got involved with bikes, when I was running around the perimeter of Richmond Park one day, and there was a family bike event in one corner, which was full of mainly Asian kids, so presumably there are plans to encourage the introduction of cycling to different communties.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Greg T wrote:

However with Mrs T currently nursing our 6 week old daughter I expect to be using it in non personal terms.

Where on earth in the darkest recesses of your mind did that spring from?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    biondino wrote:

Impressive stuff - and no EPO in sight. It'd be great to see these fella's in the tour, imagine what they could do with proper training.

Bl00dy hell. Sod the Alpe, now there are a couple of riders capable of dishing out some pain on Embankment.

Calling all very rich, very bored Russian oligarchs, a new sport for you...

What about sherpas? I'm serious. They're basically mountain goats, aren't they?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T wrote:

DDD wrote:
    His freakyness implies that he has buckwild sex that I can only dream of!

QED

• DonDaddyD
    So many replies

Firstly when I grow up I want to look just like him:
    I suppose there's Rahsaan Bahati:

lmasheawaitsthestartCYCMBG1156-vi.jpg
    GregT wrote:
    Personally I want as few black guys on bikes as possible, it's just extra competition that I just don't need.

This is true. If I was in a hundred metre sprint final I would want as many non-black guys lined up alongside me as possibly that way I'd be guaranteed a medal.... :shock:

What too far?

Thing is I see loads of guys on cheap bikes around Croydon, most of them Argos, or Halford £90 dual suspension horrors. Many of my friends still think its 'uncool to ride to work' "Its a little bit ghetto" Well not if you have a BMW sitting on your drive it isn't fool! (not that I have a BMW).

I think it has a lot to do with socio-economic constraints and lifestyle. The thought of spending £300 let alone £1,500 on a bike is not a concept many would think. I didn't contemplate it until I left London went to Uni and experienced different lifestyles. I guess many in the working classes still see bike riding as a preserve of the rich or the insane.

Its the same with F1 but for different reasons apparently Hamilton is a rarity not only because he is black (he is actually bi-racial/mixed raced but that's a different conversation for a different time where I can wow with my knowledge of genetics sourced from X-men comics - they are a different sub species of Human Homo-sapiens-superior... i digress) but because he isn't wealthy and F1 is a sport for the rich. I suppose back in the day my Dad wouldn't have the money to buy me some ultra-light race competitive bike and living in inner city (where you'll find the majority of ethnic minorities) meant that there actually isn't that many places to ride it... looks like I answered my own darn question... whoop!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Greg T
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    that way I'd be guaranteed a medal.... :shock:

What too far?

No-where near too far.

There's a load of Honkies can't dance / black guys run so fast to get away from the Rozzers gags just lurking beneath the terrified veneer of civilisation.

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    edited October 2008
    Young ethnic minorities on bikes? Didn't you see the little Chinese kid in the Liquigas kit and Cannondale road bike at the FW? He must have only been about 9 and I have more muscle on my index finger then he had on his lil legs!

It is a good point tho about non-white bike riders and I ironically it's not until someone mentioned it and I thought back to watching the TdF that I thought "Hang on........mostly white guys......"

Also DDD Ithink what you meant to type was "when I get older" not "when I grow up"......I think it has been proven someone that the male geek never really grows up, they just find better and more expensive toys and hobbies :-)

EDIT TO ADD: After all I didn't have that many kids so I can continue my family line, it was so I have an excuse to get water guns/scalextrix/RC cars etc :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg T wrote:

DonDaddyD wrote:
    His freakyness implies that he has buckwild sex that I can only dream of!

Me!

Go on say it three times, then I'll appear like Candyman. I know you want to....

:evil:
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I suppose back in the day my Dad wouldn't have the money to buy me some ultra-light race competitive bike and living in inner city (where you'll find the majority of ethnic minorities) meant that there actually isn't that many places to ride it... looks like I answered my own darn question... whoop!

Mmm I get all that, but there are plenty of well off middle class black & asian’s in the UK. I went to university at Kings London, almost all the medics I knew/saw around were asian and still are I think. Doc and dentists aren't short of cash (are dentist famous for enjoying, and spending lots of money on, cycling?). I've never seen an Asian roadie actually. Very odd really.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I guess many in the working classes still see bike riding as a preserve of the rich or the insane.

I don't really think that's the case, and nor do I think that the cost of bikes stops ethnic minorities cycling - every time I cycle through Acton the large quantities of young black and asian kids on bikes far outweigh the white kids. I know from my LBS friend that they'll save up for ages for bike bits, and he'll do them discounts etc. when they wear through tyres like the kid I saw in there the other day.

Contrary to popular opinion on here, you don't actually have to spend a fortune on a bike. ;)

I do think that those kids see it more as a form of transport than a sport, different from the perhaps more well-off families who drive their kids everywhere. I think that they don't consider the world of competitive cycling, and to be fair it is slightly shrouded in mystery, and not thought of as a mainstream sport.

Also, see my earlier post!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I seem to remember a quote from someone, mocking the white man for riding a bike for pleasure whereas a black man uses it as a tool. Can't see it on google though, tarnation.

Also a thought has just occurred to me:-
    If China is the most populous country in the world, then aren't we (us posters) all in an ethnic minority?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T
    almost all the medics I knew/saw around were asian and still are I think.

They aren't like caterpillars you know - they stay that way until they die. They just get smaller.

Jaysus
    Also a thought has just occurred to me:-
    If China is the most populous country in the world, then aren't we (us posters) all in an ethnic minority?

You've been on the moon juice and tractor cleaner early today Jethro.

• Contrary to popular opinion on here, you don't actually have to spend a fortune on a bike. ;)

SHE'S A WITCH! SHE'S A WITCH! BURN HER! BURN HER!

Go on. Get out with your heretical ideas.

Not having to spend a fortune on a bike. I've never the like of it before.

<wanders off, shaking head, and muttering to self>
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Contrary to popular opinion on here, you don't actually have to spend a fortune on a bike. ;)

SHE'S A WITCH! SHE'S A WITCH! BURN HER! BURN HER!

Go on. Get out with your heretical ideas.

Not having to spend a fortune on a bike. I've never the like of it before.

<wanders off, shaking head, and muttering to self>

I'm not a witch, I'm NOT a witch. They just dressed me up like one! :lol: