Silly commuting racing

Comments

• I fully support the SCR club idea. I'm about to join a club, whittling down the possibilities, but this could solve all my problems!

The kit would have to be red... what would Greg66 do otherwise? Mind you, this would give us all a +1 on the FCN.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hmm, Sunday morning could work as long as it was earlyish (again, I mean around 9, not properly early). Not sure about clockwise but I'll go with the consensus!

Roehampton Gate is my starting point too and it sounds like it would be a good way to avoid the A3 (although isn't there a foot/cycle path running down the south-heading side of the road?). Also it would mean you'd have a nice downhill stretch from Queen Mary's to the gate of the park so you'd be all fresh :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Can't do this weekend, but hopefully will be heading over to Richmond Park next weekend for the first time, ever. :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Jen J wrote:

I'm only doing shortish rides this weekend, but most weekends until next summer I'll be doing 5-10 laps of RP both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Sounds a tad dull. Why not get out into the Surrey hills a bit?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Jen J wrote:
    but most weekends until next summer I'll be doing 5-10 laps of RP both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Training for IMUK?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Despite living pretty near Richmond, I refuse to cycle round the park. It's full of traffic. I'm off up to Essex for some countryside exploring.

Get out of city return to the trees and all that.

I really hope the weather holds. :D

This is my cunning plan for a there-and-back this weekend with my mate on his MTB - it may well kill him. Sorry for the giant link.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr ... =UTF8&z=11
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    cjcp wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    but most weekends until next summer I'll be doing 5-10 laps of RP both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Training for IMUK?

Nope - Double Iron UK ;)

J - I would venturer further afield, and probably will sometimes, but the bike course for DIUK is 16 laps of a 14 mile out and back, so I need to train with the boredom factor.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    Jen J wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Training for IMUK?

Nope - Double Iron UK ;)

J - I would venturer further afield, and probably will sometimes, but the bike course for DIUK is 16 laps of a 14 mile out and back, so I need to train with the boredom factor.

Is that the race whcih Hywel Davies won this year?

You are absolutely barking. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Jen J wrote:

Nope - Double Iron UK ;)

istockphoto_2982039-surprised-face.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Jen J
    cjcp wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Training for IMUK?

Nope - Double Iron UK ;)

Is that the race whcih Hywel Davies won this year?

You are absolutely barking. :)

That's the race :)

In two weeks time I'm running a 100 mile race, so at least with DIUK I'll get a bit of variety ;)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J
    Greg T wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Nope - Double Iron UK ;)

And I've only been biking for 6 weeks and swimming for 5 weeks :D
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Greg T wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Nope - Double Iron UK ;)

+1

Seriously impressed!!
  • DonDaddyD
    On a serious note I do think it would be do-able, as CJCP says it would most likely be to busy to race, but it is good riding with people around and above your own level - I used to get rather frustrated when riding with my mate who hadn't ridden in ages as we went everywhere at 12-13mph, let alone him needing to walk up some of the hills! Still the slower pace gives me a chance to work on my pedaling technique!
    !
    On that ride back to Streatham from Tooting Bec.

I. MUST. HAVE. PI$$ED. YOU. OFF.

You were powering along and I was all but spent and could only manage pootle..... :oops:

That will never happen again
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    Despite living pretty near Richmond, I refuse to cycle round the park. It's full of traffic. I'm off up to Essex for some countryside exploring.

You really love Essex, don't you? I'm beginning to suspect there's some eccentric sugar daddy in one of those footballer-style mansions who makes you do laps of his estate for his titillation, hence the massive thigh power you've built up. Am I close?

Also, the park isn't really full of traffic, certainly not off-peak, and if you're not going balls-out for a lap record then it's pretty much okay to deal with. A lot better than the Uxbridge Road, anyway!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    edited October 2008
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    On a serious note I do think it would be do-able, as CJCP says it would most likely be to busy to race, but it is good riding with people around and above your own level - I used to get rather frustrated when riding with my mate who hadn't ridden in ages as we went everywhere at 12-13mph, let alone him needing to walk up some of the hills! Still the slower pace gives me a chance to work on my pedaling technique!
    !
    On that ride back to Streatham from Tooting Bec.

I. MUST. HAVE. PI$$ED. YOU. OFF.

You were powering along and I was all but spent and could only manage pootle..... :oops:

That will never happen again

Didn't annoy me, you where still keeping up decent pace, besides we had already clocked up 35+ miles that day I think, when I'm out with my other mate its 12-13 pretty much from the get go and I often forgot myself and ended up losing him :?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino wrote:
    Despite living pretty near Richmond, I refuse to cycle round the park. It's full of traffic. I'm off up to Essex for some countryside exploring.

You really love Essex, don't you? I'm beginning to suspect there's some eccentric sugar daddy in one of those footballer-style mansions who makes you do laps of his estate for his titillation, hence the massive thigh power you've built up. Am I close?

Also, the park isn't really full of traffic, certainly not off-peak, and if you're not going balls-out for a lap record then it's pretty much okay to deal with. A lot better than the Uxbridge Road, anyway!

Hit the giant link, switch google maps into 'satellite' mode, and you'll see why - it's all countryside, and it's possible to travel a pretty long old way and hardly use a main road. And it's not hilly like up north hilly, but there's enough undulation for some stunning views.

EDIT: Spelling.
    Out, lunch at Hintlesham Hall, then home.
  • biondino
    Very nice. I guess that could also be part of the attraction :)
  • cjcp
    Have we agreed on a specific time and place for a Sunday morning meet in the Park? I can meet at 9am and then have an hour's ride before meeting the family, probably at the coffee stop just by the Ballet School (sells a belter of a bacon sandwich btw amnd hot chcolate) around 10am.

Robin Hood Gate at 9am?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino wrote:
    Very nice. I guess that could also be part of the attraction :)

It's lovely. I miss living there, but London is more practical and I still have my little house in the country.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Very nice LiTs I was thinking of doing this ride from home to the Cycle 2008 show although having just read the last half dozen pages of the grooming thread I mean SCR I might well be up for a little man-on-man park action myself, I could train it to Richmond, spin a few laps then make my way from there to the show.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=SW5+9TA&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

So is it on for RP this weekend? if so which day and what time, gate etc etc.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    biondino wrote:

Hit the giant link, switch google maps into 'satellite' mode, and you'll see why - it's all countryside, and it's possible to travel a pretty long old way and hardly use a main road. And it's not hilly like up north hilly, but there's enough undulation for some stunning views.

EDIT: Spelling.
    Out, lunch at Hintlesham Hall, then home.

Riding out in the country is great fun, had some experience of it when I did the capital to coast and on my little jaunt around Swanley/St Marys Cray area and crossing the M25 with some workmates. It's amazing what a difference the lack of traffic and stopping has on your riding, plus the great scenery!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin wrote:
    Very nice LiTs I was thinking of doing this ride from home to the Cycle 2008 show although having just read the last half dozen pages of the grooming thread I mean SCR I might well be up for a little man-on-man park action myself, I could train it to Richmond, spin a few laps then make my way from there to the show.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=SW5+9TA&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

Ooooh the show! I'd forgotten about that... When is it again? It's literally round the corner from my work.
  • biondino
    9am Sunday, yes, let's do it!

Am a bit scared of Jen now - and still scared of CJCP of course - but it should be a good fun. Would personally be happy with Robin Hood or Roehampton gates.
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:

Ooooh the show! I'd forgotten about that... When is it again? It's literally round the corner from my work.

Maybe you can get that guy from the Cake Shop forum to take you on a date..... teee heee heee! :P :twisted: :P
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    In a way, I'm kind of more scared of being just fast enough to draft for 3 laps than I would be if I just got honestly dropped and could pootle at my own pace! Though I suspect if CJ's on any kind of form it's not going to be a concern. And of course if he's happy with riding a 65-minute pace then I may even be able to take short turns at the front...
  • I fully support the SCR club idea. I'm about to join a club, whittling down the possibilities, but this could solve all my problems!

The kit would have to be red... what would Greg66 do otherwise? Mind you, this would give us all a +1 on the FCN.

This girl is a frickin' genius. And so plainly right, it's not true.

I'm thinking designs. I'm thinking "SCR" plastered across the bum, and something that incorporates some cross-hairs. Haven't decided whether to incorporate them into the "C", or whether to have one on each butt-cheek.

Decisions, decisions.

I'll need to have a lie down before I bottom this one out. :wink: [/b]
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino wrote:

Am a bit scared of Jen now - and still scared of CJCP of course - but it should be a good fun. Would personally be happy with Robin Hood or Roehampton gates.

Which gate is which? Better yet, which is the one that you get to when you come past the Priory?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Could I make a complaint here? Not about the London aspect, but that even if I did live in London I wouldn't be able to get up for 9am on a Sunday! :?
    Steve C
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:

Why is it I ONCE AGAIN find myself unable to attend a gathering.

Be honest, its because no of you really like me and you all mock me in PM's...

"hmph!" :evil:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Roehampton Gate, how about in the carpark near the cafe? What sort of time?

Oh man am I going to regret this :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.