Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Trust Greg to take it back to male genitalia.

Anyway, my earlier prediction came true and my scalp was taken from me :(

I was cycling home with a mate who rides a MTB, nobbly tyres and all. He's pretty fit and held me most of the way, mainly by dint of staying in my shadow the entire time. However, I got into a dice with a blond haired roadie, well, when I say dice I mean he was happy to sit on my wheel at 21-22 into the wind but could only manage 19 by himself. He wasn't the interest in the tale, it was another MTB rider who joined us at Albert Bridge.

Coming down the hill from the lights the slow blond roadie led, followed by the 2nd MTB then my mate. I was slow away but had a great run at them, as I came up to my mate I yelled to him to get on my wheel and we'll scalp the other 2. The others were toast and after turning up Lotts road I eased back to let my mate catch up. Big mistake. Who comes past but the 2nd MTB making turns for 24 mph! What could I do, wait for my mate and let my scalp go, or MTFU, ignore the pain generators and reclaim what's left of my hair?

I powered after him and got onto his wheel, tracked him down Imperial Wharf and out the other side. We both took the RB at pace, me hot on his wheel, ready for the killer move to reclaim my prize. But wait, what's this? He's indicating to head into the Fulham backstreets! I missed the chance to get past him! I'm done for! He's gone and my scalp with him.

So, if you were the guy on the blue/green MTB, hats off to you sir. You utter git.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    And I don't disagree with you, except for the perturb comment.. that just upsets me... :(

It may be something to do with the fact that after the Candy Man appeared he'd butcher the person who called him up. A bit like a white van man.
    Steve C
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Wrath Rob, it doesn't sound like he scalped you. A scalp involves dropping the opponent and he clearly didn't manage to do that to you.
  • biondino
    I had a couple of fun battles today. I completely pwned a dude on a Mad One through the Hyde Park Corner underpass - as I turned round to check traffic (ahem) as I ascended onto Knightsbridge he was more than 50 yards behind despite me only taking him at the tunnel entrance.

And then I was in full pwning mood on Lower Richmond Road, but traffic wasn't my friend and the guy I thought I'd dropped managed to get back on my tail all the way onto Queen's ride. As we approached the Mark Bolan Death Bridge, there's a slow cyclist holding up a car as the ascent (ahem) begins. I sense/hear that he's planning an attack as soon as the car takes the slow cyclist, so I throw myself into accelerating up the hill, manage to stay ahead, and cut a sharp left onto Gipsy Lane, happy with a victory of sorts.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    biondino wrote:
    Wrath Rob, it doesn't sound like he scalped you. A scalp involves dropping the opponent and he clearly didn't manage to do that to you.

I hear you, but still, getting caught napping and not putting him back in his place. Its the kind of thing that cjcp does FFS!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • biondino
    When you get to the park on Sunday, I wouldn't bother with getting on your bike - just bend over and offer yourself to CJCP and get it over with quickly :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You called!

Right, tonight was annoying because of one bad rider on a Tifosi decked in club kit who was not only an RLJ'ing drafting fairy (I'll come to that), but, more heinously, unnecessarily squeezed between another rider (initially in front of him) and a car going down the other side of Battersea Bridge towards the NKR.

Earlier, just after Death Star Canyon, he appeared behind me after I'd dropped a few riders after V Bridge lights. I initially thought "fair play, he's a bit quick", but, in retrospect, think he may have RLJ'd or had tailed me without me noticing until I spotted him. Possibly, possibly not, but when he passed me, he went about 10 yards ahead before I got that feeling (you know the one) that he had come across this thing called a headwind - his progress clearly slowed. Hmm, I thought. If he was genuinely faster, he would have kept going. As it was, I comfortably kept him 10 yards ahead. He then wandered over the Chelsea Bridge junction on red. I'd seen enough to not want to be behind this chap, so went past him after the slope, knowing full well he had his full pink drafting fairy costume on, and he duly obliged. Gave him a nice tow until the rise up to Battersea Bridge, where he passed me. See above for the rest. Unfortunately, he turned off before the NKR so that was that.

It's not that I tolerate the RLJing in this case; I just found the squeezing of another cyclist in moving traffic such poor form.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I hear you, but still, getting caught napping and not putting him back in his place. Its the kind of thing that cjcp does FFS!

See you Sunday... :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Blimey - this was about 10 pages back!!
    Hello to the Chingford Skinhead -- in answer to your question, 'The Top End' and it's not how multimap describes it

Sunday afternoon if you are 14 fat and spotty come and sing yer heart out at the Bull & Crown in North Chingford's premier karaoke bar. Failing that they will pretend to ban under 18's the rest of the week. I live a few doors down cleaning up the sick off my car as they all stagger home.

(er car, did I say that......I don't really use it, I have cobwebs on my wing mirrors)

Highams Park, good heavens you don't need to get off the big chain ring to get there! (the mere reference of big ring should get GregT going!!)

The mornings are a bit easier for me as I sweep majestically down the hill past Big Reg/Rons grave. I feel like joining em on the way back up though. I avoid Highams Park except when I am doing the nipper run on my dog of a hybrid with child seat. With a 6 year old on the back I gotta be +5 so you better watch out. I'll give her the camera so we can snap you as we breeze past.

If Jen J thought the last one was scary this one should top it.

Anyway back to your skinhead reference. Is it that you are attempting to oust some of the forums more seasoned vets by adopting a more streamlined demeanour or are you really Tebbits child/grandchild/great granchild [delete as age appropriate]. That was for the Sarf Londoners who are either too young (possibly not the case the way the stats are stacking up - Is it me or am I the oldest so far?) or if you are not into 80's politics. Talking of politics the next time IDS wanders down my road as he has a mind to do once in a while I will ask him if Mr Cameron indulges in 'The Game' when his bike isn't being stolen.

CS are you a Walthamstow bike shed regular or do you like to stretch your legs a little longer down the Seven Sisters road from time to time (I am assuming you work in the city/west end or the slums thereabouts, narrow minded possibly and a little presumptuous but hey..)

This note should have gone thursday night but a kindly gent advised me on 'Virgin 151 how can I not help you' that the northern london conurbation were having a technical problem. Virgin media (20MB my a*se) so it will go tomorrow some time.

Rock all to report on the bike front save some fat herbert decided to ignore my presence at a mini roundabout in Hoe Lane...Had just sailed past some old codger only to end up pulling a huge 160 degree skid 1 inch off aforementioned idiots bumper, but managed to keep it going. Caught up with him then did my mad cyclist impression by thumping on his window and hurling abuse.

What am I doing must go to bed...............Birmingham tomorrow so no 2 wheeled issues planned.

Ah yes, the Bull and Crown (As Newman and Baddiel would say) I'm aware of its existence. I used to go to a pub (in Coventry) when I was at school where I'm pretty sure anyone over 18 was barred!

I've only done that big hill that divides the mount from Norf Chingford a few times and it is a killer - as indeed is Mansfield Hill.

The Chinford Skinhead monicur is both a reference to the hairline that evolution has given me - and that I go for the close crop rather than comb-over hairstyle option AND given my location and Tebbit's infamous "get on your bike" quote I thought it was amusing :D Apart from supporting cycling (if indeed he was!) we have very little else in common.

I havent used the W/stow bike shed - though I'm told its very good. I bike to Holborn / covent garden so take either a quiet or fast route - using the bike path behind the (sadly now former :cry:) Walthamstow Dog Stadium onto Chingford Road. Quick route is up onto Hoe Street, right onto Lea Bridge Road up to the roundabout, left Clapham Rd, Downs Road and across Dalston Kingsland (the quieter route is off Chingford Road through Lloyd Park up to Forest Road along and onto the canal, through the park and up via Stamford Hill until you get behind Dalston Kingsland Station. From ther both routes are the same - I cut through Islington's De beauvouir Town, behind the Angel, along Guiildford Road, Lambs' conduit street - red Lion street and then through the big hotel on High Holborn onto Kingsway. Nice distance 10.5 to 11.5 miles and up to four times a week now :o

Not sure about this whole SCR thing though - When I was learning the route I'd get so focussed on passing the guy in front of me that I'd forget my turn!, My map came in very handy...
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    First clipless ride today, and just as I was chuffed about not coming off, I stopped at a red a mile from home, unclipped the left and for some inexplicable reason, leaned to the right. Ended up splat in the middle of the road :oops:

Twice I had people pull out in front of me at roundabouts. The first time, after swearing loudly I steered left to go around the back of the still-moving car, at which point he suddenly noticed me and slammed on the brakes so that I nearly went into the side of him. The second time the woman was completely oblivious to my existence.

And on two occasions in Richmond Park I had a stag cross in front of me, but as it's a deer park, I figured they had right of way ;)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Jen J wrote:
    First clipless ride today, and just as I was chuffed about not coming off, I stopped at a red a mile from home, unclipped the left and for some inexplicable reason, leaned to the right. Ended up splat in the middle of the road :oops:
    If anyone denies this happening in their first few clipless rides you know they are lying ;)
    Jen J wrote:
    And on two occasions in Richmond Park I had a stag cross in front of me, but as it's a deer park, I figured they had right of way ;)
    :shock: I've lived within a stone's throw of RP for eleven years and this has only happened to me once. During the day the deer mainly stay away from the roads. I've yet to try a night ride in the park and am a bit lazy so early rides at the weekends don't happen*. Maybe that explains my lack of deer incidents...

I got to the park gone 11 this morning :oops:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jen J
    I don't normally see them near/on the roads, but today I saw almost a dozen small groups or individuals next to the road. Odd.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Perhaps they wanted a look at your Bowery :wink:

Don't worry everyone falls off a couple of times when going clipless

PS. you weren't practising for tomorrow were you?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Practising falling off? ;)

Nah. I'm quite good at that - have fallen 3.5 times since I started 6 weeks ago.

Todays was by far the most dignified though, even if it was the most embarrassing. Actually no, the first one was the most embarrassing as it was on a road junction next to a beer garden. On a very sunny Saturday afternoon. :cry:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J wrote:
    Practising falling off? ;)

Nah. I'm quite good at that - have fallen 3.5 times since I started 6 weeks ago.

Todays was by far the most dignified though, even if it was the most embarrassing. Actually no, the first one was the most embarrassing as it was on a road junction next to a beer garden. On a very sunny Saturday afternoon. :cry:

Did the people in the beer garden larf like drains or did a few offer to help?
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Jen J
    I didn't hang around to find out! It was in Wimbledon Village so maybe they were all too posh to laugh, and just politely ignored me.

I was actually with someone, it was our second date, and my first proper bike ride - never a good combination - but he was ahead of me and didn't even believe I'd come off until I showed him my bloody knees. As somehow I managed to land on *both* knees :?
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Have to say somebody did a stationary sideways fall when I was on the freewheel.

Nobody went to help, not even I, and I figure this came from the sentiment "Well, what do you expect if you join your shoes to the pedals silly?".
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Jen, how do you fall of 3.5 times - did half of you fall off or did you fall halfway and sort of hover ? I await the results of tomorrows meeting with interest - so many egos, so little room !
  • Jen J
    I kind of crashed into the side of a bus. Ish. I didn't hit the ground, so it doesn't count as a fall, but I had a very impressive bruise almost the length of my arm, so it counts as 0.5 :D
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino
    Hehe - definitely a half. Jen, you in on a Saturday night as well as a Friday? Me too. Sigh.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    surely you're all getting early nights for your "not a race" tomorrow? :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • biondino
    Hmmm, my mate was round earlier and we got through, um, four beers. And I have another one on the go now... But it's okay, it's not a race, it's all cool :)
  • linsen
    blimey. Four beers and I think I'd probably be in A&E, or at least comatose....
  • biondino
    They've all been bitters, none of them premium strength. I am having to make quite a few typo corrections though :)
  • biondino
    HANG ON I'm only on bitter number 4!! It's almost finished though...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm so serious about tomorrow's 'not a race' that I've not been out to supplement the five beers in the fridge. Well there were five anyway, two left after the one I've just opened.

Think this is my first post in this thread. I feel dirty.
  • biondino
    I have another 4 beers in the fridge, but if I drink all of them I really *will* be comatose.

Linsen, what's your avatar?

Hey Brun, we need to be careful we don't wear the same outfit tomorrow otherwise no-one will be able to tell us apart. You look like Moby too, right?
  • linsen
    well I wish you and your slight hangovers all the best for tomorrow. I am just recovering from one child's birthday party, the other's is tomorrow afternoon so my bike has been sorely neglected. What with that and not living in London I feel like a right imposter. So I'll be off (glass of wine in hand obviously :) )
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I might look like Moby if he grew a red beard and ate a burger once in a while. You're right tho', it would be confusing if I arrived and suddenly realised I was there already.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    JonGinge wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    If anyone denies this happening in their first few clipless rides you know they are lying ;)

Totally agree. First time I used mine I fell off in front of over 100 cyclists at a major Essex time trial. Then I made a habit of falling off at junctions and traffic lights.
    Steve C