Silly commuting racing

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I suppose back in the day my Dad wouldn't have the money to buy me some ultra-light race competitive bike and living in inner city (where you'll find the majority of ethnic minorities) meant that there actually isn't that many places to ride it... looks like I answered my own darn question... whoop!

Mmm I get all that, but there are plenty of well off middle class black & asian’s in the UK. I went to university at Kings London, almost all the medics I knew/saw around were asian and still are I think. Doc and dentists aren't short of cash (are dentist famous for enjoying, and spending lots of money on, cycling?). I've never seen an Asian roadie actually. Very odd really.

Not sure how old you were back when you went to Uni but I can say from experience that a vast majority of minorities who went to Uni mostly had jobs on top of jobs worked during the holiday and worked in other jobs on their days off from their main job. Also they may/probably had more than one family member supporting them through their time there.

If it isn't economic then its a social one and some culturally may generally not cycle for leisure. Shame really.

Also on the whole old-school British Class structure thing. As I pointed out to a friend from Horsham. My Gran who came from Jamaica back in the 60s lived and still does live what I would classify as a very middle class lifestyle in terms of social practicies. Jamaica was a British colony and many of its social practices are rooted with in old school colonial Britain. Only middle clases and upper classes could afford to live there or both there and England and therefore gave basis for much of Jamaican society. For my Gran her social practices however does not extend to spending money because in England she couldn't afford it. So no bikes for the kids except the ones they could build. In Jamaica (and arguably Africa and other hot climates) I would argue that riding a bike probably isn't the best thing....

My parents live in what I would consider a working class mentality which means no uber expensive bikes. even though their salaries would equal a middle class status. So expensive bike for me.

Living in London limited the amount of oppurtunities to ride, proper in a proper cycling environment.

At this point I'm not making a point I'm rambling just to get my thoughts out of my hand
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My God - will you lot shut up! :evil:

I'm trying to catch up with the damn thread and when I go back to the forum after reading everything, you garralous lot have added 2 more bleeding pages!!!

It's like trying to shoot a tortoise with an arrow... it never catches up! :shock:

I read, you type, i read that, you've typed some more, i read THAT, you've started talking about ethnic diversity and the salem witch trials!!!

SHADDAP THE LOT OF YEH!!!!!!

for those of a nervous disposition, or lacking a sense of humour: the first line was a JOKE :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'm not a witch, I'm NOT a witch. They just dressed me up like one! :lol:

She turned me into a frog once...

...it got better
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

It's like trying to shoot a tortoise with an arrow... it never catches up! :shock:

I know what you were trying to do with that analogy but I reckon shooting a tortoise with and arrow would be - well as easy as shooting a tortoise with an arrow - really easy.....

Have another go....

Painting the Humber bridge perhaps

Also DDD
    thoughts out of my hand

You're thinking with the wrong part of your anatomy

geddit
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Greg66 wrote:
    Contrary to popular opinion on here, you don't actually have to spend a fortune on a bike. ;)

SHE'S A WITCH! SHE'S A WITCH! BURN HER! BURN HER!

Go on. Get out with your heretical ideas.

Not having to spend a fortune on a bike. I've never the like of it before.

<wanders off, shaking head, and muttering to self>

Not everyone goes out and blows their wad on some expensive piece of Italian carbon drapped in campag......besides I quite like my "entry level" bike - I'm happy with its and my own performance and can also start dreaming of how much faster I'll go on a more expensive, better bike :-)

I guess its like cars or fine wine (I'm really guessing on that one) in that you can't appreciate the higher end varieties without first trying the lower grade stuff.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

My parents live in what I would consider a working class mentality which means no uber expensive bikes. even though their salaries would equal a middle class status. So expensive bike for me.

Living in London limited the amount of oppurtunities to ride, proper in a proper cycling environment.

At this point I'm not making a point I'm rambling just to get my thoughts out of my hand

But... you don't need an expensive bike! I happen to know, having read a book about him whilst travelling this week, that Chris Hoy himself started racing on a BMX which he saved up/blagged in fivers from relatives £79 for when he was a kid. Hardly a huge amount of money. I had a BMX as a kid, so did my brother, but neither of us really knew that people raced them. Ours were second-hand, £20 for the two. I remember, because we had to do chores to get the £10 each.

And living in London isn't so bad - you still have the outdoors and parks.
  • Bassjunkieuk

Surely this would be fairly easy......as long as the arrow doesn't ricochet of the shell that is....I reckon bolt action cross bow would do it nicely :-) Failing that a compound bow and arrow as they just look so awesome :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Since when has "need" had anything to do with it :shock:

Like I need a Pinarello Prince!

I damn well wanted one though. :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Greg T wrote:

I know what you were trying to do with that analogy but I reckon shooting a tortoise with and arrow would be - well as easy as shooting a tortoise with an arrow - really easy.....

Have another go....

Painting the Humber bridge perhaps

nope, you missed.... look up Irony :wink:http://www.answers.com/topic/irony

The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
    A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect

:P

A wonderful tool, sometimes unfortunately over-looked by the lower classes.

(p.s. - THAT was a joke as well!! :lol: )

Oh, and i have photos of a FANTASTIC party we had on the Humber bridge years back - full cocktail party with copious amounts of booze :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I guess many in the working classes still see bike riding as a preserve of the rich or the insane.

I don't really think that's the case, and nor do I think that the cost of bikes stops ethnic minorities cycling - every time I cycle through Acton the large quantities of young black and asian kids on bikes far outweigh the white kids. I know from my LBS friend that they'll save up for ages for bike bits, and he'll do them discounts etc. when they wear through tyres like the kid I saw in there the other day.

Contrary to popular opinion on here, you don't actually have to spend a fortune on a bike. ;)

I do think that those kids see it more as a form of transport than a sport, different from the perhaps more well-off families who drive their kids everywhere. I think that they don't consider the world of competitive cycling, and to be fair it is slightly shrouded in mystery, and not thought of as a mainstream sport.

Also, see my earlier post!

I don't know why but reading this made me think of a million and one terrible mostly politically incorrect, judgemental and outride wrong retorts as to why you see more black and asian kids on bikes... that, honestly had me chuckling to myself rather loudly....but I'll leave it there.

Personally, I think there is a large number of reasons why you just simply don't get ethnic minorites (within this country specifically Attica) commuting let alone taking part in competitive sport. I think these reasons can be attributed to:

Social (I knew of no one living on an estate who cycles to work),.

Cultural (Some cultures just don't do it for whatever reason).

Financial (its not just the bikes its the equipment and the value people place on something like that).

Location (Living in London isn't the best place to cycle and minorities tend to live in built up citities)

Whilst I think there are exceptions to these paintbrush generalisations I do think that these are constraints to cycling for ethnic minorites and some of those less fortunate.

AND to lower the tone.

LiT I was kinda hoping you would say it three times and give candyman a try.... or are you all besotted with that guy in the Cake Stop thread? What's going on with that? Is he being a 'mack daddy'?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

But... you don't need an expensive bike! I happen to know, having read a book about him whilst travelling this week, that Chris Hoy himself started racing on a BMX which he saved up/blagged in fivers from relatives £79 for when he was a kid. Hardly a huge amount of money. I had a BMX as a kid, so did my brother, but neither of us really knew that people raced them. Ours were second-hand, £20 for the two. I remember, because we had to do chores to get the £10 each.

And living in London isn't so bad - you still have the outdoors and parks.

Sure £79 isn't that much now but back in the 80/90s (Hoy's what 30, 30+ - especially the 80s and early part of the 90s before money started getting stupid) was a hell of a lot of money.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    LiT I was kinda hoping you would say it three times and give candyman a try.... or are you all besotted with that guy in the Cake Stop thread? What's going on with that? Is he being a 'mack daddy'?

Are you out of your mind?

Having a Big Black Guy materialise on command is well suspect and should not be entered into lightly.

Do you do Pantomime and do I get three wishes?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Since when has "need" had anything to do with it :shock:

We know, we know... :D

I don't know what a 'mack daddy' is. As for the candyman thing, I don't really care to know what the outcome of that would be... it's a little perturbing to say the least!

And I think they guy in the cake stop thread has now thrown his PC out of the window in abject shame at his actions!

And I think London's a great place to cycle, if you've no other option. Everything's so close. I do think that it's a cultural thing though, but don't think it's financial.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Yawn.

Can we get back to racing please?
    VILLAGER #1: If... she.. weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood.
    BEDEMIR: And therefore--?
    VILLAGER #1: A witch!

So LiT, do you weigh more or less than a duck? Problem solved...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg T wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Are you out of your mind?

Having a Big Black Guy materialise on command is well suspect and should not be entered into lightly.

Do you do Pantomime and do I get three wishes?

Never had any complaints before.... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Wrath Rob wrote:
    Yawn.

VILLAGER #1: If... she.. weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood.
    BEDEMIR: And therefore--?
    VILLAGER #1: A witch!

So LiT, do you weigh more or less than a duck? Problem solved...

Let's get the giant scales and find out... I have to say I'm quietly confident!

And WRob, how is that racing?? :lol:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Rollox, I've tripped myself up twice in one day, though Greg66 hasn't found the other one yet. Still, man (or lady) the bikes, the weekend is about to start!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • attica
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    within this country specifically Attica

I'm confused (no change there then)
    Are you saying that Somerset/Brizzle is in a different country?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • DonDaddyD
    Since when has "need" had anything to do with it :shock:

We know, we know... :D

I don't know what a 'mack daddy' is. As for the candyman thing, I don't really care to know what the outcome of that would be... it's a little perturbing to say the least!

And I think they guy in the cake stop thread has now thrown his PC out of the window in abject shame at his actions!

And I think London's a great place to cycle, if you've no other option. Everything's so close. I do think that it's a cultural thing though, but don't think it's financial.

And I don't disagree with you, except for the perturb comment.. that just upsets me... :(

Any way for future reference:
    Mack Daddy
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Yawn.

Exactly.

Nearly showtime, kids... :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    No Mopeth arms then?

If its not on one of my South London bus routes then yes, different Country.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    cjcp wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Yawn.

Exactly.

Nearly showtime, kids... :twisted:

Maybe for those of you up in the city, I'll be lucky if I see a dozen cyclist's on my way home, let alone find some going my way.........also found out I'm down here again next week until Thursday...
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    No Mopeth arms then?

We're not alcoholics (I speak for myself at least) ya know! Drinks are normally once or twice a month, or at least whenever someone suggests it early enough in the week (or day) for it to be arranged hurriedly. It seems today however that we got a bit embroiled in various other subjects!

Also what are these "bus" things you speak of? Are they those big red things that pass me far to close and have all the glum people on?? I always wondered what their for :-)

On a side note how exactly do you define a "South London bus route"? Is it one that doesn't cross the river? If so the X68 (which on darker days I have used) crosses the river at Waterloo and I hop off on Aldwych
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Rollox, I've tripped myself up twice in one day, though Greg66 hasn't found the other one yet. Still, man (or lady) the bikes, the weekend is about to start!

Woohoooooo! the sun is blazing through the chimney pots, it looks all a bit mary poppins out there. And despite the fact that my flag wind indicators show a strong breeze, it looks like it might be in the East!

Tally-ho!

Good weekend all, catch you on the flipside. Oh check me out, I am so d@mn gangsta!

:lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2008
    << With eyes squinted looks at the computer suspicious >>

"Was that gangsta comment aimed at me....."

Anywho if I can get hold of my girlfriend I will have the rare oppurtunity of cycling around the Embankment. So if you see a '08 SCR whizzing past I'll hand you back your scalp if I ever meet you at the M'arms....

and with that I bid you good and kind folk goodbye anon!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    well done everyone, a two hour meeting and i return to 5 PAGES!!!

Have a great weekend all, I am not cycling tonight or tomorrow as I am mostly helping a friend out with his post divorce feel better purchase...

lamborghini_matte_black_lp560_4_image0061.jpg
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Woohoooooo! the sun is blazing through the chimney pots, it looks all a bit mary poppins out there. And despite the fact that my flag wind indicators show a strong breeze, it looks like it might be in the East!

Be warned it's very blowy out there I was almost blown over twice and by some amazing act of magic / witch craft or whatever I had a head wind for the entire 35 mile loop (I wasn't SCR training :wink: )

Oh wait your all in London where the sun is always shinning and the wind is always a tail wind or at least that's how I remember it :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    No Mopeth arms then?

How quaintly xenophobic of you.
    Have you ever seen Passport to Pimlico?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Littigator wrote:
    well done everyone, a two hour meeting and i return to 5 PAGES!!!

Have a great weekend all, I am not cycling tonight or tomorrow as I am mostly helping a friend out with his post divorce feel better purchase...

lamborghini_matte_black_lp560_4_image0061.jpg

Wow.

Did she get custody of his real penis?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Who cares, I wanna play with the car not his penis dipsh*t!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6