Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Morning kids

Nothing much to report this morning. A lively looking chap on a silver Boardman, but he quickly despatched. What a lovely day to ride though. Why be stuck on a train in this weather?

Saw Jash turning onto Embankment last night and had a little chat before he turned off into "The Grid". I must admit, I do like that Pearson...

One drafting fairy last night for a brief section along Emabnkment, and a sustained attempt at drafting me by one other. The former was an RLJer, the latter I just couldn't help toying with. Going through Parson's Green and then Lower Richmond Road - just kept a nice even pace sufficiently far ahead. :)

[/i]
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    - just kept a nice even pace sufficiently far ahead. :)

[/i]

I was content to glide home as well. For some reason there were few bikes around and my Radar showed clear. Nice.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    A white van did a new one this morning - as I was preparing to turn left the van, who had stopped after the junction, reverses to completely block the turning and I have to evasively pull out of my turn. I stopped, waited till he'd finished reversing, and as soon as he looked frontwards gave him a jerkit.gif.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    But back to business.

Last night was not a good ride. The Embankment left me feeling like an asthmatic lobster as I wheezed along, topping out early. 2 fixies came past after Battersea bridge and while I held them I couldn't muster enough oxygen to mount an attack. The mind was willing, the pain generators were quiet but my lungs were slowly drowning in phlegm. Nice. I did destroy a SS on Col de Wandsworth bridge though. I thought SS was supposed to be faster on the short hills as you had to maintain the speed? He managed to make me look fast, even in my asphixiated state.

This morning was another matter though. It was one of those rides where I felt like the world was effortlessly rolling backwards under my wheels and I was gliding along in a zen like trance, no-one came close, no-one resisted, all fell by the wayside. I even had the time to consider a new version of the game (more later) as this was "too easy". I'm sure I'll have a mighty crash tonight and get scalped by all the big players but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

The only attempt at some competition was a roadie on a nice looking Specialized at the lights just after Albert Bridge. I caught him eyeing my up and down, so I offered a cheery hello. The surly git made the mistake of blanking me and as we all know that's practically an open invitation to open the whup ass can. The lights changed and we set off, side by side. He quickly slipped back to draft me, a tactic I've been known to use too, so I took a leaf from the Gregs book and wound the pace-o-meter to 9, leaving something in reserve in case he was worth competion after all. The sun glittered off of the river, Battersea park looked quiet and serene, so I made it obivous that I was enjoying the view and not really trying. By the time I got to Battersea B, I was feeling pretty good. A subtle check of my 6 revealed no roadie, a more blatant look revealed that he was a good 200 meters behind. Job done.

I of course realise that I have now set myself up for a mighty fall this evening (hopefully not a lteral one) but in the mean time I'll enjoy knocking 3 minutes of my most recent best time in the mean time.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • biondino
    Hmm, that looks wrong. I mean I gave him a gesture.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    Morning kids

Nothing much to report this morning. A lively looking chap on a silver Boardman, but he quickly despatched. What a lovely day to ride though. Why be stuck on a train in this weather?

Saw Jash turning onto Embankment last night and had a little chat before he turned off into "The Grid". I must admit, I do like that Pearson...

One drafting fairy last night for a brief section along Emabnkment, and a sustained attempt at drafting me by one other. The former was an RLJer, the latter I just couldn't help toying with. Going through Parson's Green and then Lower Richmond Road - just kept a nice even pace sufficiently far ahead. :)

[/i]

Seeing you did remind of how easily a proper geared roadie can outpace us singlies though. I had the computer on yesterday morning, added a loop of hyde park and st James' onto my commute. I reckon I'm spinning out at around 26mph. Doesn't help that I prefer a lower cadence on the roadie, I think i need to work on spinning more this winter. Of course I shall not be decreasing my ring size to achieve this, i'll just push harder on the current gearing unlike some of the wet blankets on here *Cough, Greg, Litt.
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:
    A white van did a new one this morning - as I was preparing to turn left the van, who had stopped after the junction, reverses to completely block the turning and I have to evasively pull out of my turn. I stopped, waited till he'd finished reversing, and as soon as he looked frontwards gave him a jerkit.gif.

That's a novel way of dealing with WVM. Did he enjoy it?
  • Wrath Rob
    cjcp wrote:
    What a lovely day to ride though. Why be stuck on a train in this weather?
    I have to say I completely agree. After the cold snap of last week, the latter part of this week has been glorious. Hopefully next week will bring more of the same and the cold weather gear can stay in the cupboard until the clocks change
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DDD, I'm sure the idea of a ride around Richmond Park was floated last weeked as drinks where being arranged. I think the general consensus was that it would quickly descend into a bloodbath as a bunch! Just imagine Freewheel - but instead of me and Snooks to deal with you have everyone else!

Besides I think you only want to go with BD so you can admire his bike :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    DDD, I'm sure the idea of a ride around Richmond Park was floated last weeked as drinks where being arranged. I think the general consensus was that it would quickly descend into a bloodbath as a bunch! Just imagine Freewheel - but instead of me and Snooks to deal with you have everyone else!

I'm sure we could all be mature about it...

... scratch that, I wasn't thinking properly.

Could be entertaining though, supposed to be nice weather this weekend, I plan on hitting the park on sunday morning anyway.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I'll be doing a few laps of RP tomorrow as early as I can drag myself out of bed.

About 9ish then ;)

Although it'll be my first long ride going clipless.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Morning all. Request for adjudication please...

What happens to the shaved (like a laydee) or unshaved (like a man) rule for roadies in the winter? All these long tights serve to muddy the waters. So for example, I'm currently wearing longs, a St Rapheal vintage top or similar and Giro Atmos. Everyone seems wants to scalp me just like I'm a shaved roadie which feels a little unfair (though nobody actually has done since the Ambrosio man a couple of weeks ago thank god) .

I suppose I could just shave off the leg hair to prove my manliness (like a laydee - a manly laydee; eh?) and simplify things this way, but a) what about other roadies in longs? How am I to judge them?; and b) my wife has EXPRESSELY FORBIDDEN ME TO DO SO on pain of divorce.

So... what happens to the shaved ruling in the winter? We're in new territory here aren't we?
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    edited October 2008
    Last night was a joy, I got to the half way point which is the a brow of a 7 mile hill and I saw a flash of something small and white - hmm that wasn't a car I think... up goes the cadence and round the corner I see a roadie with no bag (i've got a pretty heavy bag if I do say so myself). He must be about 400m away, but I know this hill so well and the surface has just been redone, so I'm off - not trying you understand - and I reel him in.

Then it starts - the furtive glances behind. He can see me gaining, then what's this? He's only on the drops standing up giving it his all!!! Ahaa - he's trying!!! we're now coming to another brow and I'm about 15 ft behind (it's not a suitable place for overtaking) and the glances are becoming common place probably because I'm smiling and whistling (rude?). So he goes back to the drops and trys again, while I casually keep to my station far enough away that there's no chance he can console himself thinking I'm drafting. Then it's my turning, so I charge up nearly on his wheel just as I peel off with a little "cheerio".

Granted technically I didn't pass him, but the fact he was on his drops trying to get rid of me and I made up the 400m without the appearance of trying gives me the moral victory for which I'm very grateful :D

Only downer was a complete tw@t in a metro who pulled out infront of me when I'm coing down a hill at 36mph forcing me to go the wrong side of a traffic island and pull infront of him and leave him with no uncertainty that I thought he is a pillock of the highest order. I mean a Metro and a bloke MTFU surely...
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Hmm, that looks wrong. I mean I gave him a gesture.

Aggghhhh I'm in pain!!!

J

Nice emoticon btw
  • My god, I've been off the forum for about 12 hours, and 5 pages of unbridled mano a mano flirting have passed me by!

You boys should all get a room and work out your differences. That's what the kids are calling it these days.

Oh, and I'm 25. Among the youngsters, but I have an excellent understanding of grammar and general command of the English language. My typing, however, sometimes lets me down.

And yes, I will also be pushing harder on the same gear. I like my ring just the way it is. It's my cadence that I need to improve. MTFU, old men.

However, I am trying to increase my cadence, but beginning to think that my commute is not the best place to do it. Too many traffic lights, you see, too much skidding to an abrupt halt as the lights change marginally sooner than I'd hoped they would. Too much swearing at cars that think I'm not moving at about 24mph ('pedal faster pedal faster pedal faster' is my new mantra).

I want to go to a velodrome. Reading the Chris Hoy book has not helped. He manages 200-ish rpm on a 100-ish inch gear. Blimey.

And no fun at all this morning. Got into acton, saw a man on a roadie wearing campagnolo socks, which made me think he might be fun to toy with, sadly he never went above 20mph. Boooooooooooring.

Got to near shebu, overtook a guy on an MTB who was spinning like a man posessed, thought to myself 'that guy needs a roadie'. He pull sup next to me at the lights, and lo and behold it's my younger cousin who also lives in Ealing! I expressed my opinion to him, and he responded that MTBs are the way forward.

I may disown him.
  • il_principe
    joew4ll wrote:
    Last night was a joy, I got to the half way point which is the a brow of a 7 mile hill and I saw a flash of something small and white - hmm that wasn't a car I think... up goes the cadence and round the corner I see a roadie with no bag (i've got a pretty heavy bag if I do say so myself). He must be about 400m away, but I know this hill so well and the surface has just been redone, so I'm off - not trying you understand - and I reel him in.

Then it starts - the furtive glances behind. He can see me gaining, then what's this? He's only on the drops standing up giving it his all!!! Ahaa - he's trying!!! we're now coming to another brow and I'm about 15 ft behind (it's not a suitable place for overtaking) and the glances are becoming common place probably because I'm smiling and whistling (rude?). So he goes back to the drops and trys again, while I casually keep to my station far enough away that there's no chance he can console himself thinking I'm drafting. Then it's my turning, so I charge up nearly on his wheel just as I peel off with a little "cheerio".

Granted technically I didn't pass him, but the fact he was on his drops trying to get rid of me and I made up the 400m without the appearance of trying gives me the moral victory for which I'm very grateful :D

You evil sod!
  • cjcp
    joew4ll wrote:

You evil sod!

:twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

I've kinda gone off the Focus Cayo now... don't know why. That said I am still considering a Focus (monetary reasons), Planet X or Wilier Izoard (which is what I truly want) - though any purchase is dependant on me getting a new job and said employers endorsing a cycle to work scheme....

The only bloodbath I remember at Freewheel was me when I crashed into people more than half my age...

I think a successful group ride would depend mostly on:

How many people turn up. - Honestly double digit numbers isn't likely to happen if it does still not bad IMO unless it gets well above 15.

Whether we can be mature about it and remember its a fast paced social ride and not an all out race with people of different competency - Honestly we all seem to be well adjusted socialable individuals capable of operating in a group.

Lastly if we can commute safely everyday to work and ride with groups and teams, why can't we do it in as a group from that bike radar thread? - Just a question?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    :D
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • biondino
    Jen, which gate do you start from in Richmond Park?
  • cjcp
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think a successful group ride would depend mostly on:

How many people turn up. - Honestly double digit numbers isn't likely to happen if it does still not bad IMO unless it gets well above 15.

Whether we can be mature about it and remember its a fast paced social ride and not an all out race with people of different competency - Honestly we all seem to be well adjusted socialable individuals capable of operating in a group.

Lastly if we can commute safely everyday to work and ride with groups and teams, why can't we do it in as a group from that bike radar thread? - Just a question?

I very much doubt you'll be able to ride as quick as you might like in the Park on a sunny weekend anyway - I expect it'll be heaving with lots of car and bike traffic.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    We could start our own cycle club, the SCR. Imagine the possibilities for the Team Kit design...
  • biondino
    That could be fun! My problem, if I'm honest, is I don't want to ride with anyone faster than me. So if CJ comes along I might have to wangle a convenient puncture or something.
  • il_principe
    As CJ points out, the park'll be busy. It's best to arrive early doors otherwise you can get stuck behind cars. There also appears to be a high police presence in RP at the mo and they're cracking down on speeding cyclists.
  • Jen J
    biondino wrote:
    Jen, which gate do you start from in Richmond Park?

Robin Hood usually, just an old habit really as I used to run across the common and go in that way for some of my longer runs.

I've been riding up to Tibbet's Corner and down the A3, but I'm thinking first time clipless on the A3 may be a bad idea, even early on a Saturday, so may try and carry on to the Green Man and through Roehampton. Would you say that's easier?
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Wrath Rob
    I'm up for a RP ride, though I think Sunday would suit me better as I've normally got kids duty from 7am on Saturday. If I'm going to be brought back down to earth after this morning's uber-ride it might as well do it publically with you lot
  • cjcp
    I could be up for a Sunday morning ride as I too am on Monster duty tomorrow. Can I suggest clockwise as that's usually less busy?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    We're building a consensus here...I'm a Roehampton gate man. Prefer clockwise these days.
  • Jen J
    I would only do clockwise as otherwise I'd get tangled up with the London Dynamo boys.

I'm only doing shortish rides this weekend, but most weekends until next summer I'll be doing 5-10 laps of RP both Saturday and Sunday mornings.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Just wait until you join us for drinks then it will all become clear :-D

On a serious note I do think it would be do-able, as CJCP says it would most likely be to busy to race, but it is good riding with people around and above your own level - I used to get rather frustrated when riding with my mate who hadn't ridden in ages as we went everywhere at 12-13mph, let alone him needing to walk up some of the hills! Still the slower pace gives me a chance to work on my pedaling technique!

BD - If you never ride with people who are faster/better then you you'll never improve! When I used to run for my local athletics teams I set most of my PBs in the sprints (1/200m) when I came second as I was pushing to catch the bugger ahead of me!

JA - The kit could have some interesting designs, we'd have to make sure tho that the full length tights/leggings have a gap in so we can see if the wearer has hairy legs :-)
    Maybe we could borrow some slogans from the other thread as well!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5