Silly commuting racing

Comments

• knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    Measuring my speed and distance in kilos comes from cycle touring on the continent and that route sheets for Audax or Sportive rides are usually measured metrically. I average at least one a month of those.

Also it's far more satisfiying looking at the computer and seeing 46 kmh rather than 29 mph or saying I've just ridden 150km as opposed to 95miles.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg T wrote:
    I found myslef singing "let the sun shine in" on the embankment which makes a change from "Oh Fortuna!" complete with hand actions.

This is what was going to through my mind last night and this morning (just swap the red Lambo for Sprocket Man)...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYtP8TXBF4
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • knight2k wrote:
    Measuring my speed and distance in kilos comes from cycle touring on the continent and that route sheets for Audax or Sportive rides are usually measured metrically. I average at least one a month of those.

Also it's far more satisfiying looking at the computer and seeing 46 kmh rather than 29 mph or saying I've just ridden 150km as opposed to 95miles.

'Tis true.

That said, the only proper century ride is an imperial. A metric century is a bit of a warm up.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    I found myslef singing "let the sun shine in" on the embankment which makes a change from "Oh Fortuna!" complete with hand actions.

This is what was going to through my mind last night and this morning (just swap the red Lambo for Sprocket Man)...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYtP8TXBF4

Cannonball is all well and good, but if you wanna see a car go fast on public roads, you can't beat this
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hey CJ, shall I bring your bike carrier over this weekend?
  • biondino
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    After my lunch time tweak of the handlebars. I've managed to loosen the brakes and prevent myself from reaching the brake leavers in the most upright position. What I have acheived is the ability to reach the curve of the drops.

Whilst it is better/faster I'm not sure if it is safer and I feel my riding position could be tighter more secure and comfortable.

Its annoying because now I don't know what my best riding position is for commuting - with a big relatively heavy Nike rucksack on my back.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    After my lunch time tweak of the handlebars. I've managed to loosen the brakes and prevent myself from reaching the brake leavers in the most upright position. What I have acheived is the ability to reach the curve of the drops.

Whilst it is better/faster I'm not sure if it is safer and I feel my riding position could be tighter more secure and comfortable.

Its annoying because now I don't know what my best riding position is for commuting - with a big relatively heavy Nike rucksack on my back.

I'd say tweak the bars again, I spend most of the time on the hoods. This allows me to cover the brakes whilst keeping a fairly upright-ish position to watch the road ahead.

I only ever really use the drops if I'm riding into a headwind, blasting downhill or trying to keep my speed. I also have a backpack on so the aero advantages of the drops are somewhat negated but I find I pedal differently down there - likewise I have found using the flat sections either side of the stem is good for climbing.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:

Cool. Which day/what time did you have in mind? I need to check with the boss that we're in.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    Am fairly free at the moment. I guess early either day works for me as it's unlikely to clash and it'll get me out of bed :)
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Am fairly free at the moment. I guess early either day works for me as it's unlikely to clash and it'll get me out of bed :)

Tidy. Will get back to you.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    @ CJ and Biondino

It's really refreshing to see people sharing stuff through this forum, and seeing two men so much in love is a beautiful thing, but shouldn't this conversation be a PM one?

I'm just being a big old pedant really, sorry.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:
    @ CJ and Biondino

It's really refreshing to see people sharing stuff through this forum, and seeing two men so much in love is a beautiful thing, but shouldn't this conversation be a PM one?

I'm just being a big old pedant really, sorry.

Yes; you're right.

Now kindly return to your cider drinking. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    You're just jealous because all you can get is cider that comes "over ice".

Remember folks, cider wasn't invented by the Irish and is better cloudy.

never touch the stuff myself, it'll make you go blind
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Attica wrote:
    Remember folks, cider wasn't invented by the Irish and is better cloudy.

You see - apart from Tea I prefer to be able to see though my drinks, preferably Martini perhaps Cinzano

rossiter_collins2.jpg

Cloudy Cider is a problem as you can't see if it's got rocks or pig's heads in it.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • attica
    Greg T wrote:
    Cloudy Cider is a problem as you can't see if it's got rocks or pig's heads in it.

But they're the best bits apparently, they add flavour.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I'm sure I tried some cloudy cider when I visited the Weston's Brewery, really good tour with samples at the end!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Lethal stuff. I took a week off the Buckfast and had a night on Addlestons Cloudy Cider. It ruined the following Saturday. Tastes nice though.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • attica
    Ha, GT you're rumbled as one of the more poncey London Ponces!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Attica wrote:
    Ha, GT you're rumbled as one of the more poncey London Ponces!

Hmmm I wouldn't be claiming victory just yet Atts...

There are a couple of points you've missed.

1. BJ says he "tried" some cider at a brewery visit - hardly 2 litre bottle of Cripple Cock for lunch followed by a days ploughing the chickens - also he has facials and reads "Arena" - FACT.

2. All the others.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • attica
    Everybody knows that you don't plough chickens.
    Chickens are harvested using a combine harvester like all livestock, d'uh!

Besides, I claim Sowestern Poncey rights, I shave my legs ferchrissakes, (and you may have noticed a subtext of can't-stand-cider in my posts)

err, I've lost my way now, I refer you to Greg's point number two.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Is it a little tragic that I'm thinking of working late tonight just so I can cycle on quieter roads and have fun with my lights down the unlit bridleway?

I think I just enjoy the quiter stretches of the commute sometimes.

Mind you - the clocks do go forward in two weeks so it'll be dark when we all leave anyway
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • attica
    Not tragic at all, but why leave late, why not just extend your commute into the evening.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Kieran_Burns
    'cos I'm middle-aged, a bit chunky and unfit :oops:

Plus I have to do tea when I get in :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Greg T wrote:

1. BJ says he "tried" some cider at a brewery visit - hardly 2 litre bottle of Cripple Cock for lunch followed by a days ploughing the chickens - also he has facials and reads "Arena" - FACT.

2. All the others.

I think you have me confused with someone else on those last "FACTS" The closest I get to a facial is the cleansing sweat after my commute and I was never really a fan of Arena, more an FHM person but I haven't read an issue of that in 6 years or so.....

I do have to admit to being partial to the cider tho, since visiting the brewery I did go looking round the local supermarkets for Weston's products - and found a rather nice and quite large (660ml) bottle of strong (7.4%) cider called Old Rosie: http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/acatalog ... ie660.html .

Anyhow enough talk of alcohol and "ploughing" chickens (did you mean that the same way in that the welsh "plough" sheep??) and lets get back to the bikes - I can see pretty much blue skies outside and hope that my ride home brings more action then the ride in which was just boring.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    erm, don't the clocks go back? Spring forwards, fall back as the Americans say.

Still smarting from last night, I checked my tyre pressures this morning before heading out. 40psi front and rear! That's not 40psi down, that's 40psi full stop! And that's in my 700x23 tyres. Out came the pump, 120psi restored and suddenly my ride was easier in one way but more uncomfortable in others.

Anyway, this morning was quiet on the roads. A couple of pretenders but none who could maintain a decent pace including a klingon who wanted someone to carry him along but instead had to eat humble pie as my wind shadow pulled steadily away.

Incidentally, anyone going to/from Southwark Bridge in the dark, watch out for the dark rope holding the barrier closed just south of Cannon Street. I almost rode into it last night, its at about handlebar height and so could have been pretty nasty to ride into.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    Wrath Rob - btw, that wasn't me yesterday morning at Vauxhall. I was a bit late leaving and had only just left Richmond Park at the time. Mine's a two tone green, 30-40 litre rucksack.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Still smarting from last night, I checked my tyre pressures this morning before heading out. 40psi front and rear! That's not 40psi down, that's 40psi full stop! And that's in my 700x23 tyres. Out came the pump, 120psi restored and suddenly my ride was easier in one way but more uncomfortable in others.

Anyway, this morning was quiet on the roads. A couple of pretenders but none who could maintain a decent pace including a klingon who wanted someone to carry him along but instead had to eat humble pie as my wind shadow pulled steadily away.

Incidentally, anyone going to/from Southwark Bridge in the dark, watch out for the dark rope holding the barrier closed just south of Cannon Street. I almost rode into it last night, its at about handlebar height and so could have been pretty nasty to ride into.

After CJCP's post about his tyre pressures I finally dragged out the Lidl exploding pump to check mine. I knew the back was down as it wasn't as solid as should have been, think it was around 50PSI before I started pumping and the front only needed a minor adjustment. Felt good on the way in this morning although I'm always quicker on the way home so will have to see what my average is for that run this evening!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Still there this morning. As you say, not easy to spot. Grrr
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Pedant :wink:

The clocks CHANGE then :lol: so it will be dark when you go home.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X