XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• Hey Paul, hows thing's? Seems ages since the last time i rode with you, are you still riding every Thursday? Was going to try and make it tonight but i have a cold coming on so am having an evening off. Hope it goes before Monday!
  • Hey Paul, hows thing's? Seems ages since the last time i rode with you, are you still riding every Thursday? Was going to try and make it tonight but i have a cold coming on so am having an evening off. Hope it goes before Monday!

Hullo Andy.

Not been riding too much due to work but I've left now and st\art a new job on monday which means I can commute to Canterbury once more....
    Haven't done a thursday evening ride for a few weeks but hopefully next week or so...I need to see what happens with my new job.
  • Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Is this mystical car park easy to see from the road? Just had a scout on Google Earth and can't see anything resembling a car park where the red dot is on the Kent Trails map...

I drive up Rough Common Road with the woods on my left... Then where?

Having a blonde moment, which is strange as I am not blonde and i have no hair...
  • Legless wrote:
    Is this mystical car park easy to see from the road? Just had a scout on Google Earth and can't see anything resembling a car park where the red dot is on the Kent Trails map...

I drive up Rough Common Road with the woods on my left... Then where?

Having a blonde moment, which is strange as I am not blonde and i have no hair...
    Look for a brown sign that says "Blean nature resurve". I think if you are coming from the A2 it is the first left after you pass the DOG PH on the left, and from the mini roundabout it is the second right. You go through the gate, over 2 speed bumps then along the gravel track, then you'll see the car park at the end on the right.

Oh and i am seariousely pissed as i have a bloody cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So no guarentees for Monday :evil: Thought i had escaped it as literally everyone around me has been coughing and spluttering for weeks.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    stupid question this :lol: but have any off you used halfords for bike servicing?

just looking at there prices online and it seems quite good value, just looking for anything to stop me spending £100 on avid 3's surely they must be able to figure out my brakes and flaten out any other problems.

anyways whats it like good service? do you have to give them a clean bike :roll: or do you go out for a ride in the muddiest woods you can find and then go straight there :wink:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Hope you're feeling better soon Andy. I've just shaken off a couple of colds and am finally feeling fit(ish) again.

Legless - i'll PM you my mobile number in case you get lost.

10am at the car park then, happy to ride for a couple of hours 8)
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    stevet1992 wrote:
    stupid question this :lol: but have any off you used halfords for bike servicing?

just looking at there prices online and it seems quite good value, just looking for anything to stop me spending £100 on avid 3's surely they must be able to figure out my brakes and flaten out any other problems.

anyways whats it like good service? do you have to give them a clean bike :roll: or do you go out for a ride in the muddiest woods you can find and then go straight there :wink:

Ive never taken my bike anywhere for a service, i do it all my self. Spend the money on a bike maintenance book and learn it all your self you wont regret it, that way if you ever have a problem with your bike in the future you can handle it yourself. I had my bike in bits the other day and actually enjoy taking it apart and doing things to it.
  • stevet1992 wrote:

I personally wouldn't touch Hellfrauds with a barge-pole. Granted, I expect you may get one 'good guy' that works there and will do a thorough decent job on your bike but it's all the other oiks that give the good ones a bad name. I use Downland Cycles for my servicing needs. http://www.downlandcycles.co.uk/index.htm
    If you want good service then don't go in with a dirty bike....you wouldn't go to the dentist after eating mega spicy food with bits stuck between your teeth!!
  • yep see you there at ten.

Nick, I've pm'd you my number if any probs.

I wont be checking on here again tonight/tomorrow morning so txt me if any probs.
  • stevet1992
    lost-time wrote:

I personally wouldn't touch Hellfrauds with a barge-pole. Granted, I expect you may get one 'good guy' that works there and will do a thorough decent job on your bike but it's all the other oiks that give the good ones a bad name. I use Downland Cycles for my servicing needs. http://www.downlandcycles.co.uk/index.htm
    If you want good service then don't go in with a dirty bike....you wouldn't go to the dentist after eating mega spicy food with bits stuck between your teeth!!

ok cheers for that its only as halfords is close really and its just easy to drop it in on the way to work :lol:

i think there has been a new bike store open at the other end of town will have to pop in there and have a word with the guys in there :D

• Legless
    Cool see you guys at 10am tomorrow in the car park... thanks for the directions, that makes a fair bit more sense.

Rou
  • pittpony
    Andy did you ever find your glove? I checked the car and couldn't find it
  • RussAlf
    lost-time wrote:
    stevet1992 wrote:

Ive used downlands for a few things i couldnt do like getting my headset fitted and forks disc mount facing and i highly recommend them. They are worth the trip over steve, avoid halfords like the plague.
  • pittpony
    If its any easier for you to get to i hear a lot of people rave about Active in Folkestone. I've only been there once but i was impressed
  • RussAlf
    Im coming to cants for a day trip on saturday nick
  • pittpony wrote:
    Andy did you ever find your glove? I checked the car and couldn't find it
    Yeah it just turned up this evening! Don't know where it was, i just came home and found it on the floor, and nobody can remember how it got there :?: It's soo dirty it's probably been playing hide and seek around the house :)

Have a good ride tomorrow guy's, and be carefull on the wet leaves, they are really slipery! Think i'm going to be off the bike for a while :evil:
  • pittpony
    You bringing the bike?? Aah i have a mate coming down from Hull so i think a ride is out of the question! What are you doing in town?
  • RussAlf wrote:
    lost-time wrote:
    stevet1992 wrote:

Ive used downlands for a few things i couldnt do like getting my headset fitted and forks disc mount facing and i highly recommend them. They are worth the trip over steve, avoid halfords like the plague.
    Yeah they are top guy''s in Downlands, i use them all the time now. They even fitted my headset on a Sunday after only ringing to book it in at 10am that morning :D I highly reccomend! And i know one of the guy's reads this thread occasionally........if your reading this now do i get a discount for bigging you up :lol:
  • RussAlf
    Just coming down for a day trip Nick, girlfreind misses Canterbury from her uni days. Get some lunch and do a bit of shopping that sort of thing.
    No bike unfortunately.
  • A bit of wet ride ride guys but still, it was good to get the legs working. Washing my kit now to do it all again tomorrow!

cheers

Paul
  • pittpony
    Likewise Paul - am just warming up, have cleaned the bike and have the washing machine on. An enjoyable ride today despite the wet and cold. There were a few new bits for me today so thanks for guiding us round.

Good to meet you Rou, hope you enjoyed the ride.
  • Legless
    Cheers guys, good to meet you both was a good fun ride, even if the mud made it hard work on the legs! Definitely need to get fitter, but it was great to get out there!

Kit is in the wash ready for tomorrow and bike is clean, need to get some seat covers, the inside of my car is starting to look like I locked someone in there with chronic diarrhea and no loo roll...
  • Legless wrote:
    need to get some seat covers, the inside of my car is starting to look like I locked someone in there with chronic diarrhea and no loo roll...

I had to sit on towel and I didn't fancy putting on dry trainers with wet socks/feet so driving in cleats aint good!
  • Legless
    Yeah i think i was so wet and muddy there was no real point trying to keep it out the car... Just suck it up and deal with it later on! Feel great now though, shame i am sat in the office back at work, rubbish!
  • pittpony
    Very wet today so i've ordered some waterproof trousers. I'm hoping they'll do the trick!

Right, now to get some brake pads...
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    The brake pads on my Hopes have somehow lasted a year now. I have no idea how considering all the muck ive ridden through, especially this summer and some of last winter! I have some new pads to go in them but seeing as the current ones still have material, im loathed to do it although the new ones are softer so will work better

I rode Cwm Carn once in the wet and I had these funny things called V Brakes that seemed to operate by pushing a bit of rubber against the rim, weird and stupid idea, anyway, brand new set of pads and they were worn out by the end of the ~8 mile lap! It wasnt even muddy, just wet and gritty
  • stevet1992
    Yeah they are top guy''s in Downlands, i use them all the time now. They even fitted my headset on a Sunday after only ringing to book it in at 10am that morning :D I highly reccomend! And i know one of the guy's reads this thread occasionally........if your reading this now do i get a discount for bigging you up :lol:

ok cheers for that lost time andy and russ

looks like i will be paying them a visit managed to sort the forks out now and im hoping they wont charge rip off amounts just to have a quick look at the brakes 8)

had a full clean of my bike which i think did the job sorting the forks, daisy all purpose cleaner from tesco less then a quid. works better then muc off from my experience and saved me about 6 quid

so looks like i wont be out of riding that long then :D

• pittpony
    Anyone riding Monday?? Its my last day off.

Also - anyone know if the Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes are any good?? Mmm, carbon...
  • pittpony wrote:
    Anyone riding Monday?? Its my last day off.

Also - anyone know if the Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes are any good?? Mmm, carbon...
    I'd really like to ride Monday, but i am feeling like utter crap at the moment, and as it only came on yesterday i can't see me getting rid of it by Monday :evil: I'll let you know either way. Who is riding next Sunday? Hopefully i should be fit for that.

And are you starting to get cravings for carbon again :wink: Is this for the Trance or XTC?
  • Legless
    I'm game for Monday if you can put up with me being slow...