XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• lost-time wrote:
    Andy....(long time no see and all that blah blah....)...I think you do need to get narrower bars as yours make DH bars look like London bike courier 'cut-downs'! Remember that corn field over Bettshanger way....!!?? 8) :lol:

BTW, started my new job and should be back to commuting within a week or so.
    lol yeah don't remind me, i still have the scars from that! I always thought they were only 685mm, but i just measured them and they are 720 :shock: I don't think they actually make any wider than that! I was going to try my old Bontrager bars but they are way too narrow, so i might cut them down to 185 and see how that feels. Trouble is at places like Surry, Swinley, Afan etc i like them realy wide, but they are way too wide for Blean.....and that Betshanger bit!!

So where are you working now, and hows it going? I suppose you won't be doing any evening rides any more once you start the commute again :cry: I was going to ask you out to play last week but i got this stupid cold. Are you riding Saturday or Sunday? It's about time i hooked up with you and the Kent-Trails lot again, it must be 2 months since my last ride :roll:

Russ- Got the chain the perfect length again, and they are running sweet at the moment so going to hold off on new ones till they start giving me gip again. You may have noticed i have ditched the chain device too while i was sorting out all my drivetrain problems. Have you got the E13 yet? Taking mine off i really noticed how much drag they introduce to the drivetrain. I couldn't beleave how much faster i was going up the hills without it! Not sure what the E13 is like in this respect, but just thought i would let you know before you bought it.
  • pittpony wrote:
    RussAlf wrote:
    Good Stuff,

I can help out with:

Reviews of South Downs Way, Surrey Hills, Swinley, BBH, I could do a reivew of Blean but im sure Nick or Andy who spend many hours dogging in there could do a better one.
    Peed myself laughing at that Russ :lol:

Anyway, i'm up for a night ride at Blean tomorrow - won't be able to get away from work early enough to do BBH. Andy, Ade are you up for it? Jon - can you get there for our usual 6.45 start? I can meet you outside the Jaguar garage at 6.30 if you like to show you the way?
    Yep i'm up for that :D I might be a bit slow after neerly a week off, and will probadly cough up a lung or two along the way, but i am desperate to get back on the bike again!

Oh and i got a new 09 front Crud Catcher today, so dose anyone want my old one? The garage is overflowing with dissused bike parts at the moment so i'll probably throw it out if nobody wants it.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15071976#15071976Have you guy's seen this yet? I pissed myself laughing for about 10 minuits watching that :lol::lol:
  • pittpony wrote:
    Anyway, i'm up for a night ride at Blean tomorrow - won't be able to get away from work early enough to do BBH. Andy, Ade are you up for it? Jon - can you get there for our usual 6.45 start? I can meet you outside the Jaguar garage at 6.30 if you like to show you the way?

I should be all good for that! Only just remembered I have accupuncture tonight but I'll be away from that about 2, pack me stuff, get the bike and I should comfortably be there for 6.30 at the JAG GARAGE :lol: WITH a CHARGED PHONE :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15071976#15071976Have you guy's seen this yet? I pissed myself laughing for about 10 minuits watching that :lol::lol:

Nice one :wink:

Whilst there i found this compilation of Nick at Surrey Hills,Swinley,Blean etc.....
    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 9286&hl=en

Seriously imagine how bad some of those would be with out a full face helmet :shock:
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Lol thanks Mark!

Andy I'll take that spare front Crud Catcher if you don't want it - i was going to order one for the Trance anyway. Ta 8)

I might give the XTC a blast tonight as its criminal to have her sitting there relatively unused at the moment!

See you later
  • What station do I want Nick?? East or West???
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    You would want West Papajohns, but you can get there from either but west is closer.

Andy, yup ordered a Chain Guide cant have it till crimbo though. Not to worried about drag really, i did notice yours was gone. You bike looks much better without all those spacers.

Saw that muddy video a while back on pinkbike, helarous.

Mark, i dont see what all the fuss was about on that video, that rock garden looked easy :D

• So where are you working now then, and hows it going? I guess you won't be doing many evening rides any more once you start commuting again :cry: Are you riding on Saturday or Sunday? About time i hooked up with the Kent-Trails lot again, it must be neerly 2 months since my last ride :roll:

I'm working as a Civil Enforcement Officer.......Infact, I'm at work now at lunch 8)

I hope to do some evening rides as my early shifts mean I finish at 16:45, normal is 18:00 and i do one late a week until 20:45 but my rotas are a little oo-er at the moment as I have to follow my mentor's shifts as I'm puppy walked during my training. I should be riding on Saturday....doubtful for sunday. The saturday rides with KT are now around two hrs or so but I'd bring a light with you as we wont get back to the carpark/home in daylight now. I cycled there last week (to Blean) so made sure I was fully lighted up...not just for the ride home but actually on the trail as we kind of stayed out longer than planned!
  • pittpony
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    What station do I want Nick?? East or West???
    I'd go for the one you can get to from your starting destination ;)

Depends where you're starting from but i guess East is more likely if its Rochester way
  • All sorted and good to go.... I shall be arriving at 6... Gonna freeze me thinks...
  • pittpony
    Yep its going to be a COLD one with temperatures below freezing forecast... Remind me again why we do this??! My new overtrousers arrived today so hoping they'll at least keep me a little warm!
  • I shall be wearing me wets so you'll be able to hear me a mile off

That said, may just wear some trackies over the top... Probably keep me warm and not so sweaty then.. Hmm...
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I went home at lunch to get the serial number off my old Breezer (sad retro thing, wont bore you with the details lol) then set about changing its tyres. Ended up doing it in the kitchen as my fingers froze and then they start hurting when that happens. Planning to go out for a brief potter tonight, glad I found my winter gloves last night!
  • pittpony wrote:
    Remind me again why we do this??!

For the love of mountain biking!! Or because were a type of insane that isn't a threat to people.. Speak for yourselves there :lol:
    And I dunno about you lot, but I'm a mud freak.. Dirtier the better!

You'll have to be gentle with me tonight.. Although my knee don't hurt anymore in general it has it's moments.. Plus this will be my first off road night ride... On a route I've never ridden.. Oh crap :shock:
    breezer wrote:
    I went home at lunch to get the serial number off my old Breezer (sad retro thing, wont bore you with the details lol) then set about changing its tyres. Ended up doing it in the kitchen as my fingers froze and then they start hurting when that happens. Planning to go out for a brief potter tonight, glad I found my winter gloves last night!

I feel your pain.. Was outside my home at 10pm last night fixing a puncture.. Ooo man that was hell..
    At least this week it was staple which was the problem, 3 weeks ago it was a inch nail... That's my thanks for saving a Slow Worm :lol:
  • pittpony
    Guys, that's why you need your own house with no other half. My conservatory has been converted into a bike workshop :D
  • breezer
    I do rent my own house but the shed is only big enough for storage, it has tiled floors in the kitchen and lounge but I have to clean them so... :lol:

Do have a small rug which I dumped the Breezer on at lunch and my Turner lives in the house with me, its probably watching daytime tv at the moment :roll:

b.jpg
  • lost-time wrote:

So where are you working now then, and hows it going? I guess you won't be doing many evening rides any more once you start commuting again :cry: Are you riding on Saturday or Sunday? About time i hooked up with the Kent-Trails lot again, it must be neerly 2 months since my last ride :roll:

I'm working as a Civil Enforcement Officer.......Infact, I'm at work now at lunch 8)

I hope to do some evening rides as my early shifts mean I finish at 16:45, normal is 18:00 and i do one late a week until 20:45 but my rotas are a little oo-er at the moment as I have to follow my mentor's shifts as I'm puppy walked during my training. I should be riding on Saturday....doubtful for sunday. The saturday rides with KT are now around two hrs or so but I'd bring a light with you as we wont get back to the carpark/home in daylight now. I cycled there last week (to Blean) so made sure I was fully lighted up...not just for the ride home but actually on the trail as we kind of stayed out longer than planned!
    What is a civil enforcement officer......your not a debt collector are you?
    I'll definately maybe do the Saturday ride, if nothing else comes up. I should have completely shaken this cold off by then.

John- Don't worry, i dought you;ll see me shooting off into the distance tonight, i'm not exactly fighting fit at the moment as i was still coughing like an astmatic 80 year old when i got home from work, so Nick, take it easy on us :wink:
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Breezer is a civil enforement officer a fancy name for a parking inspector? if so can you please come down my road and give this stupid yaris a ticket that parks in the most stupid, annoying places.

Andy, i think you should become a roadie :lol: please dont take this the wrong way but your far to concerned about how fit you are or how fast your going to be :lol: ??? so roadie?? no???
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    have any of you guys been to penshurst?, PORC to be more specific :wink:

going there this sunday with my mate (likes to spend more time in the air then on the ground :P) and was just wondering what the XC track is like
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • breezer
    Russalf, no idea, wrong person I think heh!

Not been to Porc for over a year when it was in a right state but I believe they have sorted the DH runs now, got a 4x track. Wasnt aware there was a XC track but the area is reasonably big so maybe they have marked out a route, certainly enough gradient to do it
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    yeh says that they have started work on a new XC singletrack but that was posted around 5 years ago :roll: get down there to discover thousands and thousands of pikeys living there :lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • pittpony
    RussAlf wrote:
    Breezer is a civil enforement officer a fancy name for a parking inspector? if so can you please come down my road and give this stupid yaris a ticket that parks in the most stupid, annoying places.

Andy, i think you should become a roadie :lol: please dont take this the wrong way but your far to concerned about how fit you are or how fast your going to be :lol: ??? so roadie?? no???
    It's Paul (Lost-Time) that's now a civil enforcement officer. He described it as a glorified parking inspector so maybe he's the man to sort out your Yaris woes! By the way Paul - I'll be hoping for some inside info on when the patrols start and stop around Canterbury ;)

Had a blast tonight on the XTC. Man i'd forgotten how much i love that bike - it accelerates and climbs like i couldn't beleive! I want to adjust the cockpit a bit as with the very narrow flat bars and longish stem it doesn't handle quite as well as it could but it still did me proud :) I think that might be my regular Blean bike from now on 8)
  • So it climbes well? I think the fact you left me about a mile behind pretty much confirms that!!
  • Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Left behind... In the dark... Shocker, that's no way to treat a fellow biker!

Hope you all had a good one!

Oh and Paul I saw 4 vehicles on double yellows in my street, if I dob em in does that give me credits so I can occasionally be bad? Hope the new job is going well fella!
  • RussAlf wrote:

No no no no, not a roadie!! I can't imagine anything more boring than riding 30 miles on tarmach while having all my internal organs shaken around by the complete lack of any susspension! I just like to be able to climb a hill without having a coughing fit at the top and colapsing in a heap.....like this evening :roll: And i still have a bit of excess weight to get rid of, and i won't be happy till it's gone! Remember that less than 2 years ago i was a 16st lard ass :wink:

Great ride tonight guy's, despite my many coughing fits! Sorry for holding you up :roll: Great that you FINALLY made a Blean ride John :wink:

Paul....Please don't tell me your a trafic warden :shock:
  • stevet1992 wrote:
    have any of you guys been to penshurst?, PORC to be more specific :wink:

going there this sunday with my mate (likes to spend more time in the air then on the ground :P) and was just wondering what the XC track is like

I've been there a few times.. Last was about 12-15 months ago.. The XC track was non existant and what fire road type stuff I could find was full of ditches and generally a pain in the arse.
    The downhill was great, but then it apparently went abit crap, supposedly they've sorted that now though.. With your brakes you'd have to watch it if you went down that though.

The 4x track would be good for you.. Reckon you'd like that (personally I cant keep off it)

Tis a big place though so you may get lucky with a decent track, but I very much doubt it'll be miles and miles of half decent riding.
  • pittpony wrote:
    .........By the way Paul - I'll be hoping for some inside info on when the patrols start and stop around Canterbury ;)........

well, Nick, just make sure you are parked correctly and you wont need to worry...!

*Goes off laughing sadistically!

As for the Yaris problem...(whoever that was that mentioned it....) report it to parking sevices at your council. There is a good chance they'll send someone out to enforce in that area if covered/and/or it is a persistant offender!
  • pittpony
    lost-time wrote:
    pittpony wrote:
    .........By the way Paul - I'll be hoping for some inside info on when the patrols start and stop around Canterbury ;)........

well, Nick, just make sure you are parked correctly and you wont need to worry...!

*Goes off laughing sadistically!

As for the Yaris problem...(whoever that was that mentioned it....) report it to parking sevices at your council. There is a good chance they'll send someone out to enforce in that area if covered/and/or it is a persistant offender!
    [cough] "Jobwsworth" [/cough] :wink::lol:

Of course i always park in designated areas so wasn't concerned for my own purposes, i just wanted to know when in the evening i could stop worrying for you and your buddies pacing the cold, dangerous streets ;)

Lol i could imagine Russ calling the council to report the Yaris only to end up with a ticket on his own car!
  • http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.