XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• RussAlf wrote:
    Andy Andy Andy, you obviously did not study the picture well enough :roll:

The White onone has no spacers under the stem and has a low rise stem and handle bars which make the post look taller. Also this one is only running 85mm rebas which steepens the head angle and seat tube angle pushing the saddle up even higher.
    1136811984_618efb5217_o.jpg
    pbpic2626886.jpg
    This fine beast has lots of spacers and has high ride bars, which makes the post look shorter when actually if you compare the two yours is actually higher :lol::lol::lol::wink: Also as you are running 140mm forks this slackens out the head angle and seat tube angle making yours a more relaxed look.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Ahh but not any more :Dpbpic2749806.jpgI might even get lower rise bars soon.......and possibly narrower :shock: I got used to haveing the saddle slightly lower, and the stem looked rediculousely high, so as is normal with me i had to go from one extreem to the other :lol: Handles better too :D
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Anyone up for an evening ride this week? Maybe Wednesday, but could probably do Tuesday if thats better...

Properly wasted a day off today. I bought new football boots and watched DVDs. Intense!
  • I can do wednesday this week as got the day off Thursday... Anyone fancy BBH night ride?? Otherwise blean if anyone else fancies it...
  • pittpony wrote:
    Anyone up for an evening ride this week? Maybe Wednesday, but could probably do Tuesday if thats better...

Properly wasted a day off today. I bought new football boots and watched DVDs. Intense!
    That wasn't quite as lazy as my day, i did literally bugger all :) Oh i did add a few more links to the old chain i have been forced to run because i can't afford to get a new cassette at the moment, but i can now at least use all the gears again :roll:

Your opinions needed here- XT or Sram PG990 cassette? I think the XT is made of cheese, but would the Sram last longer? It's supposed to be as light as XTR too. Will hopefully get that next week along with a new middle ring. I think it was a bent tooth or three that caused all my chainsuck issues.

I am definately riding from tomorrow cold or no cold, so i am good any day. This lack of exercise is starting to drive me nuts! It's probably going to piss it down all week now after the perfect riding weather we had today :roll:

Oh and Russ, you missed one other thing about the white On One- its not even a 456, but a standard non sliding drop out Inbred which is designed to run 80-120mm forks :P :):lol::lol::lol::lol: :twisted: :wink:
  • Papa Smurf wrote:
    I can do wednesday this week as got the day off Thursday... Anyone fancy BBH night ride?? Otherwise blean if anyone else fancies it...
    Shall we all but a bet on you actually making a Blean ride for once :lol::lol::lol: Third time lucky eh :wink:
  • Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    I'm keen to get out this week, daytime suits as still no lights, sadly business isn't booming as it should be so might resort to some candles taped to the front of my bars and helmet at this rate...

So if anyone fancies a daytime ride let me know.

@ Russ, really enjoyed Leith Hill, there were some really techie single track downhill sections made all the more fun by the wet weather. Plus it was nice to get above 800ft up, round Canterbury you rarely get above 300! Will let you know next time i am up that way.
  • Papa Smurf wrote:
    I can do wednesday this week as got the day off Thursday... Anyone fancy BBH night ride?? Otherwise blean if anyone else fancies it...
    Shall we all but a bet on you actually making a Blean ride for once :lol::lol::lol: Third time lucky eh :wink:

Tell you what, you all place bets.. And if I turn up... You can all give me money :lol:

I'm only conisdering it as I've been given an extra day off work, been decided for me so alas I can make a ride without having to leave for work 4 -5 hours after I get in..
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Russalf: Exactly what im doing, sitting on deposit until house prices bottom out completly as im also not sure if I may move or not long term. Currently renting a 2 bed house by myself which is ideally placed 4 minutes walk from a main line station to London and also 1 minutes ride from the local FC forest so may rent for a bit longer still heh. Nice having space to myself although I do share it with the Turner who lives indoors with me :lol:
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    edited December 2008
    pittpony wrote:

That wasn't quite as lazy as my day, i did literally bugger all :) Oh i did add a few more links to the old chain i have been forced to run because i can't afford to get a new cassette at the moment, but i can now at least use all the gears again :roll:

Your opinions needed here- XT or Sram PG990 cassette? I think the XT is made of cheese, but would the Sram last longer? It's supposed to be as light as XTR too. Will hopefully get that next week along with a new middle ring. I think it was a bent tooth or three that caused all my chainsuck issues.

I am definately riding from tomorrow cold or no cold, so i am good any day. This lack of exercise is starting to drive me nuts! It's probably going to wee-wee it down all week now after the perfect riding weather we had today :roll:

Oh and Russ, you missed one other thing about the white On One- its not even a 456, but a standard non sliding drop out Inbred which is designed to run 80-120mm forks :P :):lol::lol::lol::lol: :twisted: :wink:

I actually did think that it was not a 456 hence not having 4 inchs of travel there :D but it was not relevant to the skyscraper towering from the frames so i didnt mention it.

Can you not just lenghten your old chain andy, repair the bits you broke. Just get which ever cassette is cheaper i doubt there is much noticable difference in the real world.

What width are you current bars? mine are 685 and a low rise, there wide but not to wide. Just get a hacksaw out and cut them down if needs be.
  • RussAlf
    Legless wrote:
    I'm keen to get out this week, daytime suits as still no lights, sadly business isn't booming as it should be so might resort to some candles taped to the front of my bars and helmet at this rate...

So if anyone fancies a daytime ride let me know.

@ Russ, really enjoyed Leith Hill, there were some really techie single track downhill sections made all the more fun by the wet weather. Plus it was nice to get above 800ft up, round Canterbury you rarely get above 300! Will let you know next time i am up that way.

Yeah Leith hill is good but the other two hills to the west, Holmbury and Pitch are better and are alot less muddy, ill show you around sometime, I might be riding on friday depending on the weather.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Guys - Everyone! - lend me your ears.........

You may recall us discussing a website idea reagarding reviewing trail centres and/or products etc...... It was going to be Kent based and stuff like that....

Well, Ive started it.

Im not going to provide any web addresses yet as its way-away from being ready. :(

My question or comment is that if ANYONE would like to write a review about a trail centre. please feel free and PM me with it. I need content!!

My work is going well, and the review system allows for you to post your YouTube footage and/or pics of you in action at the aforementioned trail - perhaps a chance for you to show off a tad!! :lol:

I think a directory of UK trail centres or popular loops would be good, and the system allows anyone to review it. Sure there are other sites which do this, but hey, theres always room for another!

If you're keen, give me a shout.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    It'll sure be quite on here for a day or 2 while all the budding reporters lock themselves away to produce their masterpiece review of Bedgebury :wink:
  • Bmjboy
    impished wrote:
    It'll sure be quite on here for a day or 2 while all the budding reporters lock themselves away to produce their masterpiece review of Bedgebury :wink:

Mines on the back of a fag packet.... just reads "Gravel, Flat, Expensive to park"

I need to find some time though to review our Afan exploits, that will take a while!

• breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    What an excessive use of words, why not just sum it up with

Mud

heh. A way to upload and link to a memory map or gpx file etc would be good to match up to routes
  • Bmjboy
    I'll look into that Breezer - The easiest option would be just to allow links to the files if hosted elsewhere, personally speaking I would link to my motionbased rides, but everyone's different - food for thought, I'll try and get my head around that one.

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Bmjboy
    would be good if you could include nearest stations :roll: for us not so lucky ones with no cars :cry:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Bmjboy
    stevet1992 wrote:
    Bmjboy
    would be good if you could include nearest stations :roll: for us not so lucky ones with no cars :cry:

I think we're gonna embed google maps, so adding a nearest station waypoint shouldnt be too hard(?)

All these ideas and not enough hours in my spare time! ouch!

• stevet1992
    i thank you personally :P

would offer to help but im sure your standards are much to high :wink:

• Bmjboy
    stevet1992 wrote:
    i thank you personally :P

would offer to help but im sure your standards are much to high :wink:

Not really dude! - any help most welcome on anything really.

My main concern is CONTENT - I need reviews, views and other such content to fill the site, so if you feel particularly strongly about a trail or product or event etc, get typing!! :lol:

• stevet1992
    Are you just listing trail centers? or everything ie woods?

maybe you could review bikes and get a few test bikes out then 'accidentally' lose them :wink::lol:

• Bmjboy
    stevet1992 wrote:
    Are you just listing trail centers? or everything ie woods?

maybe you could review bikes and get a few test bikes out then 'accidentally' lose them :wink::lol:

Yes my ultimate goal is to be sent loads of the latest top spec bikes, I then happen to keep a couple and then send to my other reviewing friends! :lol: I will then move on and start my beer and lingerie models review websites! :wink:

Was thinking of listing just trail centres to start as they are a fixed and defined object. I cannot see why the more "natural" loops could not be addressed after that. Would be easy to simply upload info on parking advice and obviously directions.

Maybe we could start with just the Kent ones (BBH a prime example) to test the water.

• Andy....(long time no see and all that blah blah....)...I think you do need to get narrower bars as yours make DH bars look like London bike courier 'cut-downs'! Remember that corn field over Bettshanger way....!!?? 8) :lol:

BTW, started my new job and should be back to commuting within a week or so.
  • RussAlf
    Good Stuff,

I can help out with:

Reviews of South Downs Way, Surrey Hills, Swinley, BBH, I could do a reivew of Blean but im sure Nick or Andy who spend many hours dogging in there could do a better one.

I have pics and helmet cam vids of Afan, i have the vids of mine and Marks trip to Afan and they came out really good as it was such nice weather. Also have a few helmet cam vids of Swinley/Surrey/bedgebury but could do more.

Ive got GPX files and Maps.

I can write an obituary of Bedebury.

Review of Cycle Show 2008

Ive got the Southeast roughride guide which we could take "notes" from.
  • Bmjboy
    RussAlf wrote:
    Good Stuff,

I can help out with:

Reviews of South Downs Way, Surrey Hills, Swinley, BBH, I could do a reivew of Blean but im sure Nick or Andy who spend many hours dogging in there could do a better one.

I have pics and helmet cam vids of Afan, i have the vids of mine and Marks trip to Afan and they came out really good as it was such nice weather. Also have a few helmet cam vids of Swinley/Surrey/bedgebury but could do more.

Ive got GPX files and Maps.

I can write an obituary of Bedebury.

Review of Cycle Show 2008

Ive got the Southeast roughride guide which we could take "notes" from.

Russ - Please feel free to PM over a review of your favoured trails (centers first).

I will need to work on a GPX uploader.

The YouTube thingamee works which you tag to your review, I know you guys prefer pinkbike and the like, but YouTube is the general top bloke amongst video sites, so I chose that one.

• stevet1992
    sounds like its coming together then 8) hope ya get it finished :wink:

managed to fix the brakes for the last time hopefully :twisted:

so is anyone riding this sunday then?

• Bmjboy
    Jeez..... this Google Maps embedding isnt easy.... anyone know how to embed it by postcode?? - any genius' coders in here tonight??

:?

• Nick, Andy... Riding 2morrow???
  • lost-time wrote:
    Andy....(long time no see and all that blah blah....)...I think you do need to get narrower bars as yours make DH bars look like London bike courier 'cut-downs'! Remember that corn field over Bettshanger way....!!?? 8) :lol:

BTW, started my new job and should be back to commuting within a week or so.
    Lol yeah i still have the scars from that! I think i am going to try out the old Bontrager bars tomorrow and see how they feel on a different bike. I thought the Blackspire's were only 685mm, but i just measured them and they are 720mm :shock: I don't think they actually make any wider than that! I do like them for places like Surry, Swinley, Afan etc, but agreed they are way to wide for Blean, and definately for that Betshanger bit!!

So where are you working now then, and hows it going? I guess you won't be doing many evening rides any more once you start commuting again :cry: Are you riding on Saturday or Sunday? About time i hooked up with the Kent-Trails lot again, it must be neerly 2 months since my last ride :roll:
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    RussAlf wrote:
    Good Stuff,

I can help out with:

Peed myself laughing at that Russ :lol:

Anyway, i'm up for a night ride at Blean tomorrow - won't be able to get away from work early enough to do BBH. Andy, Ade are you up for it? Jon - can you get there for our usual 6.45 start? I can meet you outside the Jaguar garage at 6.30 if you like to show you the way?
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I can't do this ride again guys... Bloody crimbo seem s to be taking up most of my life at the moment. I guess that's what happens when you have kids :roll: