XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• RussAlf wrote:
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Really sorry guys going to have to bow out for tomorrow as i have some people coming to view the car.

Sorry Nick :( was looking forward to it as well.

But hopefuly i will sell my car and be in a better situation for a few months.

Slacker. :roll: Im going to be tucked away in my warm cosy controll room all day, hopefully it will snow really hard and then i can stay at home all day.

Fingers crossed they buy the MTB mobile, then you can buy a meta in its replacement.

Im thinking about buying one of These Mark as an early crimbo present for myself.
    I thought you might decide to get a chain device after your chain came off on that drop off last week :wink: Yeah that was the one i was talking about. It's a lot more money than my Blackspire but i think it is worth it. I wish i had waited till i had the money for that!

Shame you can't make tomorrow Mark. Unfortunately i can't make Monday as i have to work. Are you and Russ riding next Monday?

Have any of you used www.evolutionsports.co.uk before? I ordered a top from them on Monday and it still hasn't arrived yet, they aren't answering my e-mails and when i phone it goes through to a mobile, and the mailbox is full! Dose that sound a bit dodgy to you?
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Yup thanks for your text Andy, i found that race face do a double chain device aswell but it looks as if the e 13 is the one to go for. Just alot of money for something that holds you chain on, nothing more annoying though than hammering down a trail and having to stop :twisted: Im working the following monday im afraid , ill be off the one after that.

Rou, i have days off during the week as does Mark on here but we live further up towards london so head over to surrey way to ride the most, welcome to jion us when ever you want though.
  • dont you need isg mounts for that Russ??
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • deadpool2e wrote:
    dont you need isg mounts for that Russ??
    Nope, It has BB and iscg mount options. It basically replaces one of the BB spacers. But you have to tighten the BB cups really tight though, or it will move under very hard peddling.
  • OK cheers Andy.

Gutted about tomorrow, but need to sell the car. keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Should be ok for Monday Russ if you are.

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • deadpool2e wrote:
    OK cheers Andy.

Gutted about tomorrow, but need to sell the car. keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Good luck :) If i had the money i would buy it. The amount of times i have had to beg to use my work van for moving stuff about, not to mention carting the bike around.....
  • Bmjboy- i'v sent you a pm.
  • RussAlf
    deadpool2e wrote:
    OK cheers Andy.

Yup still on for Monday, was looking at going to chicksands but its pretty far away. Good luck with the sale .
  • Do any of you guys ride at Kings Wood near Ashford?

Just did a race there this morning, GREAT weather!!! but a good laugh none the less!!
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I was going to last week but the weather turned when riding on the downs by Wye so left it there. What are the races that run there? I have done all of the Gorrick ones this year but they are about 2394723984732 miles away in Surrey, Kings Wood would be far closer for me! Is there a lot of single track?
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Bmjboy- i'v sent you a pm.

Received Andy - although a bit late for us, I shouldve contacted you guys a lot earlier.

Shame we didnt get to meet earlier on in the day, and that we couldve met under better circumstances! (ie with working bikes, and you more upright! :lol: ) I hope you got your issues sorted.

Good to see you and Nick (sorry didnt get your other friends name) finally.

Swinley was great, I bet its brilliant in the dry, shame it was spoiled by various mechanicals, we wouldve stayed out much longer and explored. Didnt feel as much of a workout at Bedge does, but I guess we where stopping a lot more to suss out which route to take next - once we have a better idea of the place, we would hook it all up for some more flowing riding.

No idea where we went, but enjoyed it nonetheless! and topped off nicely by seeing Michaela Strachan which brought back some teenage memories! :wink:

Now my friend Andy has to sort out his missing deraillier and I think my gear cabling needs a good lube and clean! (crunchy!) Arnt bikes great??? :lol:
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Well me and young Steve braved the cold today and done the treachery that is BBH, it was quite odd really.. I could of sworn we were both white when we started :lol:

Steve managed to stack it on the simplest of bits but I on the other hand managed to impale myself on a very sharp tree, which rather than going through my shoulder, went through my jumper instead... Lucky excape me thinks!

Anything you'd like to add Steve?

I've also discovered that trying to ride over huge fallen trees which are half the size of the bike, is fun, but not at all clever... :lol:
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    :O it was not the simplist bit :roll: it was a 4 foot drop off :wink:

ok maybe i will own up :oops: it was the simplest bit :lol:

but i have more excuses :twisted:, i was riding with only a front brake :( im still yet to fix it gna have a look in a sec

defiently want to do it again sometime maybe when its a bit dryer :roll:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • RussAlf
    Issues? what happened at swinley?
  • stevet1992
    lucafour wrote:
    Do any of you guys ride at Kings Wood near Ashford?

Just did a race there this morning, GREAT weather!!! but a good laugh none the less!!

some times pop up there from ashford

its alright there not very technical but still fun

was that the running/biking race?

• Well did not sell car but someone is going to get it looked at by the AA so there is some hope.

Glad you had a good ride at Swinley what was the course like? was it dry or sticky? was it raining there?

Dont think Nick is talking to us :(

• stevet1992 wrote:
    lucafour wrote:

Yep, off road duathlon, Must be MENTAL that weather was mad, 0 deg at 8 am when we got there.
  • RussAlf
    OIIII NICKKKKK

we miss you xx
  • deadpool2e wrote:
    Well did not sell car but someone is going to get it looked at by the AA so there is some hope.

Glad you had a good ride at Swinley what was the course like? was it dry or sticky? was it raining there?

Dont think Nick is talking to us :(
    Don't worry Mark, Nick is out tonight. Well Nick lost his rear brake first, then i lost my rear followed fairly closely by my front! Then had the usual issues with my chainset- Think i bent a link quite early on and didn't notice it and it was a pig the rest of the ride. Oh and it was VERY wet!

Sorry you didn't sell the car, i guess we won't see you on that Meta 6 next ride then :wink:
  • stevet1992
    lucafour wrote:
    stevet1992 wrote:
    lucafour wrote:

Yep, off road duathlon, Must be MENTAL that weather was mad, 0 deg at 8 am when we got there.

i would of entered that if it wasent such a far run :lol: im alright on distances up to about 3-4 KM running but then i die :P

• Sorry you didn't sell the car, i guess we won't see you on that Meta 6 next ride then :wink:

Shhh working on the wife,,,,,Meta 5 vip 09.....do you think she will notice if my bike turns from black to snot green :lol::lol:

• stevet1992
    Shhh working on the wife,,,,,Meta 5 vip 09.....do you think she will notice if my bike turns from black to snot green Laughing Laughing

you had a big sneeze ? :roll:

• andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    edited November 2008
    deadpool2e wrote:

Sorry you didn't sell the car, i guess we won't see you on that Meta 6 next ride then :wink:

Shhh working on the wife,,,,,Meta 5 vip 09.....do you think she will notice if my bike turns from black to snot green :lol::lol:
    Naaa, just tell her you haven't cleaned it for 3 years, she'll never notice :)

Oh and Nick- Prety sure i'v left most of my biking gear in your car, including my chain links, so i can't repair my chain! Looks like i'm walking to work tomorrow :roll: Would it be OK to swing by yours tomorrow evening some time and pick them up?

Oh and despite the variouse mechanicals i did have a good ride today! My lack of brakes kinda forced me to go a bit faster than usual on the downhill runs and i really nailed all the berms, and even got some air on one of the tabletops :shock: Nicks mate was a bloody good laugh, hope we get to ride with him again one day. And great to finally meet you Bjmboy (forgotten your name already :roll: ) Well have to sort out another ride soon!
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    [jealous] :cry: [/jealous]
  • impished wrote:

Whys that mate??

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I'm alive!

Yeah have been out most of the weekend. I'm shattered now but have had a good one :D

It was an eventful ride at a very wet Swinley today. My main 'hilight' was not having a waterproof jacket and feeling like i was catching hypothermia. My mate was actually getting quite worried when i started shivering uncontrollably :oops: Also I swear i've never know so many mechanicals - everyone we saw seemed to have something wrong with their bikes!

I was really pleased we managed to find almost all the bits i wanted to ride today. The only one we missed was the corkscrew :)

Good to meet you and your mates Ben. Yeah shame we didn't meet up sooner as we could have shown you a few trails. Next time eh? Sounds like you found plenty on your own anyway. My mate's name is Loz but you won't need to remember that as he's not on the forum ;) You're right Andy - he's a funny guy. You'd like him Russ - he's a grumpy sod ;)

Shame about the car Mark. Hope it sells soon!

Some of my mates did that race at Kings Wood, i've just been looking at the photos on facebook. I quite fancy giving something like that a go some time so am thinking about joining the adventure racing club at work

Think thats me about caught up on the thread!!
  • impished wrote:
    Can you ride on Wednesday Ade? Seems like ages since we saw you last, i almost forget what you look like :wink:
  • Bmjboy
    So Swinley was wetter than normal! - you'd never have guessed! - Although the mud was simply wet mud, not that claggy crud like you get around BBH. The Dirtworker cleaned all 3 bikes yesterday! which is a good sign.

My worst off (of about 5) was just before we met Nick, Andy and Loz, the trail we was on turn simply into forest with no track (where Andy fell off infront of us) I stacked it on a wet felled tree I had to get over, was fractions away from smashing the wedding tackle into my bars if it wasnt for some heroic and dramatic diving! :lol:

Just a heads up guys, we are going back there on Sunday Dec 7th as we are meeting a friend there who's coming down who we went to Afan with.

Would be good if we could all meet there and get to sample some of the trails we missed.

I'll post my GPX up somewhere of our ride, perhaps someone could magically know where we went or more importantly, what we MISSED!

That was SO cold yesterday, first time I wore full length bottoms/leggings although once muddy, they got really cold! - maybe I should look for a more waterproof option for lower leg, or just go hard and wear just my shorts.

• breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Where abouts were you riding in Swinley Forest? I did all of the Gorrick races from around there, bracknell, crowthorne etc in the spring and saved the courses into Memory map which I can upload if you want.
  • Bmjboy
    breezer wrote:
    Where abouts were you riding in Swinley Forest? I did all of the Gorrick races from around there, bracknell, crowthorne etc in the spring and saved the courses into Memory map which I can upload if you want.

This is our GPS Overlay from yesterday - our first time there with no local knowledge or guidance.

My friends deraillier got smashed off, so we made a slow and miserable retreat back to the Lookout.

pbpic2727898.jpg

If anyone can cast a view on whether we found some good bits or not, it would be welcome