XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Haha very good photoshopping guys, especially like your one Ben!

Breezer the dirtworker is an excellent bit of kit, tunbridge wells doesnt have any but i reckon tonbridge might have. Its only low pressure so it wont destroy the bearings just watch my video.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Yer I had a look, is nice and sounds like a good idea ie for me at Bedgebury last sunday. I was already filthy so 10 minutes washing off the wet mud beside the car would have been FAR easier than loading the muddy bike into the car (no rack) then having to get it back out and assembled when home then cleaning it when it was half dry! Im down on the coast so going to try Bexhill one at lunch
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    RussAlf wrote:
    Haha very good photoshopping guys, especially like your one Ben!

Breezer the dirtworker is an excellent bit of kit, tunbridge wells doesnt have any but i reckon tonbridge might have. Its only low pressure so it wont destroy the bearings just watch my video.

Cheers Russ - Used to be a graphic designer, so always keen to knock up a few joke images to keep me sane! - Im sure more will follow as the joke trends change!

Right - Ive tested my DirtWorker this evening - really pleased.

Its no comparison to a mains powered jet-washer, but I would liken the power to a normal hose with gun on the end. You will not be ruining bearings with it I doubt.

The adjustment between mist and jet is very fine, I would personally like a nice "middle" ground setting, will probably find that sweet spot, but didnt find it in my short test.

On a wet/muddy bike with fresh mud on, I can see the DW will clean a bike just fine, Im confident that it would easily clean 2 bikes.

Filling could be an issue as you really need an outside tap or standpipe to fill it from, you wont fill this up in your kitchen due to the height (maybe the bath?) if you dont have outside water facilities.

Ive brimmed the DW and loaded it into the van for tomorrow, one thing Ive instantly noticed is that water comes out the breathing holes in the screw lid, not a problem for me as its in a van, but could be a word of caution to those who care for their car interior!

Overall, great bit of kit with handy storage on the sides - looking forward to properly using it on dirty bikes tomorrow - I recommend you buy one if you need (or prefer) to clean your bike before coming home.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Bmjboy
    Guys get down to Homebase, these can be found out the back in their Gardening section. Cleans bikes up a treat Im told. Down from £500 to £6.99! - Bargain!

pbpic2693188.jpg

Would like to see some reviews if anyone's bought one?

• breezer
    Well Bexhill didnt have one but Eastbourne had one left, took him a few minutes hunting for it heh, ta for pointer about possible leaks, looks like a nice bit of kid, sadly no discount with my trade card but still a bargain

On a related note, took a friend with me who needed a new car battery, £50 instead of £90 with my card lol, the mark up! £8 bulbs cost me £2 as well!
  • Feel like sh*t, I am at work , I HATE postmen, Legs ache, got a bit of a cold, i am tired God am i tired, Got to clean car AGAIN as someone is coming to view it. The only thing keeping me going in this time of need is the Sweet singletrack in my mind that i will be flowing through tomorrow with a great bunch of people i now call freinds.....................................................................
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Feel like sh*t, I am at work , I HATE postmen, Legs ache, got a bit of a cold, i am tired God am i tired, Got to clean car AGAIN as someone is coming to view it. The only thing keeping me going in this time of need is the Sweet singletrack in my mind that i will be flowing through tomorrow with a great bunch of people i now call freinds.....................................................................
    Aw that's sweet, all these niceties on the forum eh??! Hope you're feeling a bit better for tomorrow Mark. Being stuck at work sucks, doubly so if you're feeling ill. If its any consolation i'm off to bed now after a pretty eventful night out :shock:
  • deadpool2e wrote:
    Feel like sh*t, I am at work , I HATE postmen, Legs ache, got a bit of a cold, i am tired God am i tired, Got to clean car AGAIN as someone is coming to view it. The only thing keeping me going in this time of need is the Sweet singletrack in my mind that i will be flowing through tomorrow with a great bunch of people i now call freinds.....................................................................
    Are you getting all sentimental on us Mark, that almost brought a tear to my eye :)
  • Bmjboy
    Done BBH this morning lads, what a boggy, leafy mix of nastyness that is at the moment!

Must have stopped about 4 or 5 times to remove clag from the front mech/frame as my back wheel and gears where caked in crud. Bike weighed a tonne! Just avoid the Larches if any of you guys are planning on going uphill through there.

On top of that my chain also snapped and my chesty cough that Ive had for about 2 weeks has really reduced my lung strength, wheezing like Im on 60 a day today!

Overall whats usually a tidy blast was a really tiring and messy morning, made better by a good dirtworker session at the carpark! (that sounds odd.....) :lol:

• breezer
    I fully stripped a car today, was nice weather for riding too doh. Is BBH "blean" ? Got to go to Ashford tomorrow to drop off some cars bits so was thinking of carrying on up there to have a look around as not been before but if its mega muddy I wont. Dont mind wet mud but not the claggy glue type stuff
  • pittpony
    breezer wrote:
    I fully stripped a car today, was nice weather for riding too doh. Is BBH "blean" ? Got to go to Ashford tomorrow to drop off some cars bits so was thinking of carrying on up there to have a look around as not been before but if its mega muddy I wont. Dont mind wet mud but not the claggy glue type stuff
    No BBH is Bluebell Hill. Blean is near Canterbury. It shouldn't be ridiculously muddy as its been quite dry these last few days. It was perfectly rideable on Wednesday but the bike got quite mucky. Andy might be able to give you a more current update as i think he lives up there ;)

Kings Wood near Chilham is closer to Ashford but there is less single track and it apparently gets very muddy at this time of year
  • breezer
    ah makes sense ta, yer probably going to Kings Woods now as my friend only has a couple of hours, will take my gps and map any good bits heh
  • pittpony
    It'll be good to hear what you find. Its mostly bridleways there but there are some good descents. I still have the scars on my arm to prove it ;) Some good climbs to hammer up too 8) Check out the Kent Trails webbie for a couple of routes round there.

Hope its not too muddy!
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    edited November 2008
    breezer wrote:
    ah makes sense ta, yer probably going to Kings Woods now as my friend only has a couple of hours, will take my gps and map any good bits heh

not sure of white hill is closed still (went there a few weeks ago mananged to bike past the workers not sure if a car can fit past) if thats the way you was looking to go :roll:
    anyway from my experience there its quite fun but does get quite muddy up there :lol:

i may see you up there if i manage to get my wheel fixed early enough :twisted:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • pittpony
    All still good for Swinley tomorrow? 9am at the car park, looking forward to it! :D
  • RussAlf
    Yup see you then.
  • pittpony
    Oh Andy - don't forget those Trailrakers :) I'll see you just after 7. Will no doubt call before then for directions when i get lost!
  • pittpony wrote:
    All still good for Swinley tomorrow? 9am at the car park, looking forward to it! :D
    Hell yeah, really looking forward to it. Will definately need lots of go go juice though. Are you planning on getting fuel on the way?
  • pittpony
    Guys, great ride today. Thanks all for your company, thanks Russ & Mark for guiding us round 8)

Can't wait to go again next week!! Hope you can all make it on Sunday, shame you have to work Russ

Sooo - evening ride next week anyone??
  • breezer
    Pittpony, ta for the pointer to Kent Trails. I mapped out their Wye route last night then another bit going over to Kings Woods. As it turned out we didnt do the Kings bit as it was chucking it down by then and my friend had just fixed his 3rd puncture (4 if you include ripping a valve off my spare tube I gave him lol) and was moaning so we left it there. Still, the Wye loop was good, not that long but up and down some very steep stuff with some great fast chalky rocky descents.

Gave the Dirtworker its first use as well. It just about did both bikes but it wasnt full before, quick spray of wd40, up and down the road with the brakes on to burn off the water etc as I always do and chucked it in the van. Got home and just used the chain degreaser, wiped that off, applied oil, job done, far easier than the normal 1 hour farce draging buckets around and getting covered in mud again!
  • Bmjboy
    breezer wrote:
    Gave the Dirtworker its first use as well. It just about did both bikes but it wasnt full before, quick spray of wd40, up and down the road with the brakes on to burn off the water etc as I always do and chucked it in the van. Got home and just used the chain degreaser, wiped that off, applied oil, job done, far easier than the normal 1 hour farce draging buckets around and getting covered in mud again!

Will have to rename this forum to the DirtWorker Massive!

Our bikes where the muddiest/claggiest Ive ever seen after BBH - stopped several times to clear my front mech as the clay/mud and leaves soon make a lovely binding mess to ruin your ride! My rear wheel locked up at one point due to the crud build up! The top field by the pylons was a joke!

My FULL Dirtworker did its job of clearing most of the crud, must have wasted a few litres on my drivetrain alone - so I can honestly say, that a dirtworker will NOT fully clean 2 REALLY dirty bikes - but will get them back to a ridable state.

Im sure for normal wet mud, it would be fine, but BBH being a clay-fest, it was pretty hard going and had ridiculous build up which needed scraping off.

Got my new Juicy 7 brakes bedded in though - christ what a difference they make to my ride!! - Well pleased.

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    pittpony wrote:
    I should be good for that Nick. Where d'ya fancy? BBH? Blean? Bedgebury?
  • RussAlf
    Like the photoshop Ben of the hardworker, maybe we should rename this DIrtworkers r us.

Good ride yesterday guys, my legs are aching a bit now. Hope you all had a good ride aswell? sorry for making you wait around lots while i played ojn the jumps i did feel a bit bad.

Mark - anychance of uploading the vids of that drop off?
  • pittpony
    impished wrote:
    pittpony wrote:
    I should be good for that Nick. Where d'ya fancy? BBH? Blean? Bedgebury?
    I vote Blean - it'll probably have to be Thursday for me as i've once again got a crazy week coming up. For once I won't be playing football on Thurs though!
    RussAlf wrote:
    Like the photoshop Ben of the hardworker, maybe we should rename this DIrtworkers r us.

Good ride yesterday guys, my legs are aching a bit now. Hope you all had a good ride aswell? sorry for making you wait around lots while i played ojn the jumps i did feel a bit bad.

Mark - anychance of uploading the vids of that drop off?
    Had a great ride yesterday Russ - don't feel bad about playing on theose jumps. If i were bored i could have, say, had a go myself!! Honestly though i could watch you and Mark messing around on some of that crazy stuff all day!

My calf is really quite sore from the chainring incident. I cleaned it up to reveal a lovely deep 3 inch long gash! I'm glad it happened towards the end of the ride rahter than the beginning! :)
  • Bmjboy
    Guys can I ask what tyres you run on around BBH?

Mud stuck to mine like the preverbial on a blanket! - Maxxis High Rollers.

While these tyres where top notch at Afan, they where not as great around BBH in the thick clay-mud.

Any suggestions on what I "could" run with, or is it a case of "deal with it!"......

Do I now need to find some mud specific tyres for these winter months?

Suggestions welcome.

• RussAlf
    Bmjboy wrote:
    Guys can I ask what tyres you run on around BBH?

Mud stuck to mine like the preverbial on a blanket! - Maxxis High Rollers.

While these tyres where top notch at Afan, they where not as great around BBH in the thick clay-mud.

Any suggestions on what I "could" run with, or is it a case of "deal with it!"......

Do I now need to find some mud specific tyres for these winter months?

Suggestions welcome.

I dont think there is alot you can do with clay.

This is a question for Andy the resident tyre expert.

Ive never been worried about trying lots of tyres so i have little knowledge.
  • breezer
    Sticky mud will defeat all tyres but I run Bontrager Mud X 2.0's during the winter (most of the year?!) and they are staggering compared to all others ive tried and have won every winter tyre test ive ever seen....
  • Bmjboy
    May have a look around at some alternatives.

I think the actual problem was the leaves, as mixing the 2 together made a rather hefty mix which ground me to a halt - I was starting to get disc wheels at one point!

Ive read that narrower tyres work better, so the MudX 2.0's would be ideal.

May just grin and bear it for a while, see how I get on.

• breezer
    My old Azonic was a nightmare, partially due to clearance around the wheel but the worst was the front mech being one of the shelf ones which mud just had a party on so I made sure I got old style ones for the Turner and Inbred ie this style http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3407

Bringing back memories now of a ride in Friston many years ago with its claggy chalk based mud and leaves and having to go cyclo cross style and run carrying the bike for a bit!
  • Bmjboy
    RussAlf wrote:

Just a little vid from my mates phone of my dirtworkers skills on Saturday morning...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/48196/