XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Rode blean on sunday well i saw blean we managed to ride from rough common (entrance by some newsagents) through blean and out onto the A2 i think its called :lol: Gave quite a scare to a women using the petrol station as 2 mud monsters on bikes emerged from the woods looking around quite lost :roll:

all i could think about at 6th form was riding all day :cry: such a long day :(

is there any special need to use a dirt worker other then the chance to take it out in a car does a hose do any damage (well a hose pipe with a finger over the end our dog ate the jet thingy :lol:) ?
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I bought mine as I hate putting a muddy bike in the car, getting changed then having to deal with washing it when I get home and getting covered in more mud. Hose with finger over the end is fine just make sure you never spray high pressure at any bearings ie hubs, bottom bracket etc
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    stevet1992 wrote:
    is there any special need to use a dirt worker other then the chance to take it out in a car does a hose do any damage (well a hose pipe with a finger over the end our dog ate the jet thingy :lol:) ?

Erm...No. Its purely a self-contained portable pressure washer thats all. Nothing wrong with a hose at home - and a dirtworker will not replace that!

After many of our bikes being filthy and going into cars/vans it made good sense to get one to shower off any particular dirty bikes when "out in the field"..

Saves either driving home with a muddy car interior or paying to use a too strong jet washer at a trail centre.

Coupled with the fact theyre currently £49.99, well worth it.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • stevet1992
    breezer wrote:
    I bought mine as I hate putting a muddy bike in the car, getting changed then having to deal with washing it when I get home and getting covered in more mud. Hose with finger over the end is fine just make sure you never spray high pressure at any bearings ie hubs, bottom bracket etc

ok cheers for that breezer i dont have to worry about muddy car its whether or not the train guys will let me back on :twisted:

• RussAlf wrote:
    Bmjboy wrote:
    Guys can I ask what tyres you run on around BBH?

Mud stuck to mine like the preverbial on a blanket! - Maxxis High Rollers.

While these tyres where top notch at Afan, they where not as great around BBH in the thick clay-mud.

Any suggestions on what I "could" run with, or is it a case of "deal with it!"......

Do I now need to find some mud specific tyres for these winter months?

Suggestions welcome.

I dont think there is alot you can do with clay.

This is a question for Andy the resident tyre expert.

Ive never been worried about trying lots of tyres so i have little knowledge.
    Well i wouldn't say i'm an expert...... I was quite impressed with my quite worn rear Highroller in the mud yesterday, but then again Swinley is more sandy than clay. Trailrakers are prety good in thick mud, but only on the rear and as soon as it starts to dry they scare the crap out of me! I tried one on the front once and lost the front on the first bit of singletrack! I havn't really tried much else except Kenda Knarley's, which again was OK in mud but outright dangerouse on road as the side knobs were so long they just bent over or broke off :shock: Swamp Things always get good reviews, in fact one of the gurnos on MBR uses them all year for DH. I am happy with my HR for now, but i might try them once the HR's wear out, as i don't expect we'll be seeing any dry dusty trails for a while!
  • Right uploaded a few pics and vids from swinley.

For Pics http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/album/Swinley/

For Vids http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Swinley/

Should be OK for Sunday, just hope the weather holds off (going to borrow mums car). So how is on the dutie roster for Sunday: Me, Nick, Nicks mate,Andy?Russ?Ade?Ben?Jon?

Neil has been seconded by something called "the wife" so he will not be coming :wink:

Had a good ride all around and i think we all progressed in different areas.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Should be OK for Sunday, just hope the weather holds off (going to borrow mums car).
    Hmmm, on the radio this a.m. they're warning of snow :cry:
    deadpool2e wrote:
    So how is on the dutie roster for Sunday: Me, Nick, Nicks mate,Andy?Russ?Ade?Ben?Jon?
    I would've been up for that had "the wife" not tricked me into going away for our anniversary :shock:
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Neil has been seconded by something called "the wife" so he will not be coming :wink:
    Comes to us all in the end :roll: We all like to think it's a mans world, but eventually you'll all realise there's a good reason for the term "Mother Earth"
  • Bmjboy
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Should be OK for Sunday, just hope the weather holds off (going to borrow mums car). So how is on the dutie roster for Sunday: Me, Nick, Nicks mate,Andy?Russ?Ade?Ben?Jon?

As it stands - pencil me in to meet you there (Assuming we are still talking Swinley!?)

I have not run it past my boss yet, but I cannot see it being a problem - I will just tell her she can go xmas shopping or something!! :lol:

My mate Andy was/is already going with some of his work mates, so I will drive us up there in the Van - no idea where we're going though!

Word of advice : Please be gentle with me, Im still slower than that old lady in the Stannah Starlift adverts uphill! :lol:

So if you guys can get a fairly full compliment, I reckon there would over 10 of us!

• Early is better for me :D thought id get that in there before Nick starts complaning.

Dont worry about being slow, the stairlift woman always beats me anyway :wink:

Warning if its snowing or Wee Weeing down dont think i will make it........

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Bmjboy
    How early? - Im lead to believe Im supposed to be there for 8:30ish.

From what I gather, there will be 5 of us lot there, would be good if we can get a convoy of 10 or more!!!

Be good to meet you all "finally"!!

:lol:

• Bmjboy
    deadpool2e wrote:

Fairweather biker ay????? :lol:

Will Swinley turn into a bog then? ie - Not worth bothering?

• well i do have to think about my boyish good looks getting weathered away :shock:

last time i went (it had snowed) and was quite slow and i will be taking my mums car (a micra) so cannot get it to dirty.

OK OK i dont like rain.... had years off getting wet outside and it has tainted my vison of "fun" and "rain"

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Bmjboy wrote:
    deadpool2e wrote:

Fairweather biker ay????? :lol:

Will Swinley turn into a bog then? ie - Not worth bothering?
    #

lol think it might be the case that we have already has our snow freezing cold ride for this year around there :lol:

Nice pics and vids mark, not to sure about the pic of my casing it on the double i remember being in my granny ring for that one and having to spin like mad and still not get the speed up.

Im working this weekend but i may take the sunday off if the weather looks good.
  • RussAlf wrote:
    Nice pics and vids mark, not to sure about the pic of my casing it on the double i remember being in my granny ring for that one and having to spin like mad and still not get the speed up.

Im working this weekend but i may take the sunday off if the weather looks good.

What was it about a workman and his tools???????????? :wink::wink:

Be good if you can make it mate.

• RussAlf
    Yeh Yeh :cry:
  • Bmjboy
    Guys where do you usually park at Swinley? - Been told to park at/near the Lookout, is that right?

As we've not been before, some guidance on where to go maybe useful!? :lol:

• RussAlf
    Some f**ks last night stole the lights off my fold up, i stupidly left it ouside in the garden when i would normally fold it up and put it in the outhouse. They also pulled are fence up, my dad (hes a copper) thinks that someone must have disturbed them and he cant think of a reason why they would not have just nicked the whole bike. Its pretty safe my house normally as every c**nt in the area knows that a copper lives there. Maybe they thought my £400 foldup was an old grannys bike? or the lights were worth more? just been to evans in london and bought a new cateye.

It is pretty funny that they actually removed my light rather than taking the whole bike, perhaps they were image concious thiefs to be seen riding a fold up?
  • RussAlf
    Bmjboy wrote:
    Guys where do you usually park at Swinley? - Been told to park at/near the Lookout, is that right?

As we've not been before, some guidance on where to go maybe useful!? :lol:

Yup at the Look out car park, its the main car park. Parking is free but it can get busy.

here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?near=bracknel&q=maps&f=p&rl=1&ie=UTF8&ll=51.388116,-0.739866&spn=0.001207,0.003262&t=h&z=19
  • Bmjboy
    RussAlf wrote:

Yup at the Look out car park, its the main car park. Parking is free but it can get busy.

Cheers Russ - Just found the Gorrick website with all the info on.
    Do you guys buy the permits? or is this something which you forget to do? :wink:

Sorry to hear about your lights, sounds like they knew your bike was there??? Its a shame you cant catch these scrotes in the act, as Im sure we would all do the same thing to them no doubt!

• RussAlf
    Permits can only be bought from the look out reception which opens at 10am, we normally get there at 8am :wink:
  • RussAlf
    So, we did the South Downs Way last summer, whats in store for this summer?

http://www.mbruk.co.uk/mbruk_CoastToCoast_details.htm

I also fancy heading somewhere with large mountains and black graded downhills.
  • stevet1992
    Just out of intrest russ how much did the Commencal cost you?

• RussAlf
    Whole build must be in the region of 2k, i didnt buy it as a complete bike.
  • stevet1992
    :shock: thats alot of ouch in the wallet :lol:

just looking around at prices. ive been given the option to get a new bike and use the carrera for commutes and have a better one to throw around at weekends (not literally :wink: ) but 2k is a bit to much :roll:

looks nice though 8)

• andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    edited November 2008
    RussAlf wrote:
    So, we did the South Downs Way last summer, whats in store for this summer?

http://www.mbruk.co.uk/mbruk_CoastToCoast_details.htm

I also fancy heading somewhere with large mountains and black graded downhills.
    Count me in for either, or both :D I would love to do the coast to coast. Have read several articales and all say it is a fantastic ride, can take up to 6 days though, so if you are seariousely suggesting that and not joking i would need to give my work plenty of notice. And as i might have mentioned several hundred times, i wanna go to Le' Gets :wink: I can't wait to do another multi dayer with you guy's, SDW and Afan was such a laugh!

Steve- I saw an Meta 5 frame for about £650 somewhere, cant remember where though.
  • stevet1992

Steve- I saw an 08 Meta 5 frame for about £650 somewhere, cant remember where though.

thanks for that but thats £50 cheaper then what i wanted to spend :P

will have to have a look at some of the new 09 hardtails as i doubt 600 - 700 quid will go far on a full sus :(

• stevet1992 wrote:

Steve- I saw an 08 Meta 5 frame for about £650 somewhere, cant remember where though.

thanks for that but thats £50 cheaper then what i wanted to spend :P

will have to have a look at some of the new 09 hardtails as i doubt 600 - 700 quid will go far on a full sus :(
    OnOne 456 frame, Pikes or Rev's and swap the rest over and upgrade as you want :wink: I love my 456.
  • Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Hi Guys, and Gals if there are any, although reading through the last few pages i haven't spotted any.

I know a few of you, or at least one through kiting. Just getting back into my biking again as winter is here and it is too cold to get wet. live in Canterbury so know a few good rides round here, but recently been venturing further afield.

Off to Swanage this weekend and Wareham Forest. But would like to hook up on a ride soon.

Just thought i should check in and say hello first.

Cheers

Rou Chater
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Legless wrote:
    Hi Guys, and Gals if there are any, although reading through the last few pages i haven't spotted any.

I know a few of you, or at least one through kiting. Just getting back into my biking again as winter is here and it is too cold to get wet. live in Canterbury so know a few good rides round here, but recently been venturing further afield.

Off to Swanage this weekend and Wareham Forest. But would like to hook up on a ride soon.

Just thought i should check in and say hello first.

Cheers

Rou Chater
    Nice moniker :) Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll have gathered we all ride quite regularly in the local(ish) area and talk about bikes a hell of a lot more often than we ride! Feel free to join us any time you like!

Russ - that's a sh1t about the lights, i'm furious on your behalf :x Grr!

I'm DEFINITELY up for something like the coast to coast. We could do it in 4 days easy, remember how easy the first SDW attempt was? ;) Serously though, with a bit of training i'd love to give it a crack in 4 or 5 days :D
  • Yeah count me in also, but will need notice for booking of at work. As long as ether are not in the school holidays it should be easy to get off.

Gutted about the lights, Bloody Pikeys.