XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Jesus, £7.50!! Im glad ive got a season but im not going to be renewing it.
  • pcsplace
    pcsplace Posts: 118
    RussAlf wrote:
    pcsplace wrote:
    Without me having to read through all 64 pages does anyone have any routes they can post for Bluebell hill? I have Garmin 305 so can download to that if anyone has that format. I live in Ashford and my friend and I are keen to find more routes in kent.

Thanks in advance!!

Ive not kept the Files of the routes we have ridden, i have some screen grabs of the routes on my web page here:

Click on "Get original uploaded picture" below the picture to see it bigger. This is one of the routes, there are more on there.
    http://public.fotki.com/russalford/mountain-biking/gps-logged-rides/bbh90308.html

Heres a map of the area:
    http://public.fotki.com/russalford/mountain-biking/mtb-maps/bbh.html

Russ

Thanks for the reply Russ. I will take a look at the links. My friend and I are getting bored of our regular haunts and need to broaden our horizons. Any other locations/routes let me know.

Thanks!
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Evening ride at Blean tomorrow (22nd) if anyone is interested. All welcome as usual :)
  • pcsplace
    pittpony wrote:
    Evening ride at Blean tomorrow (22nd) if anyone is interested. All welcome as usual :)

Hi, I'm keen to come out with you guys but can't make tomorrow evening. I'll keep an eye on this forum though for future ones.
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    I can make it if anyone from round this way can possibly gimme a lift?
  • pittpony
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    I can make it if anyone from round this way can possibly gimme a lift?
    I'm afraid not - i'm only coming from down the road :(
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Can't help either, I'm going straight from work. :roll:
  • pittpony
    We're meeting at 6.30 at Blean tonight if anyone wants to come along. I'm reliably informed that its dried up nicely over there :D
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Hmm must get up there at some point but off to Rotherfield for downhills/technical practise!

regarding Bedgebury, park in the layby just south of it where the dual carraigeway used to go into 1 lane before they made the whole thing 1 lane! Ride about 200 metres further south and theres a bridleway which brings you in on the family route and about 100 metres from the singletrack, cheaper and much quicker to get to than the OMG expensive car park and long zzzzzzzz drag up from the car park on the fireroad, but yes it is crazy muddy, did a lap last week, once I accepted the fact I was utterly drenched it was reasonably fun but I just kept thinking back to when it first went in and was nice and dry (well a few months after as initially it was soaked!)
  • RussAlf
    Have a good ride guys around Blean, shame i cant jion you but im at work.

Breezer, whats rotherfield like? is that the rotherfield thats just off crowborough? Its mainley DH with lots of jumps and stuff isnt it?

I would feel a bit cheeky just riding into Bedgebury but then im not prepared to pay £7.50 to slog 9 miles around a track a meter deep in mud i would feel as if i was being robbed.
  • pittpony
    Was a good ride thanks Russ. One of those ones where you just didn't want to finish! It's not too bad over there but still some muddy bits. So, so much better than it has been for a while though! Will be doing it again next week I hope 8)
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Russ the £7.50 is just for car parking, you can quite happily ride in through the main entrance and not worry about paying at Bedgebury, plenty of people ride there and go round. There is a main bike route running through the middle of the site as well.

I have a season ticket as well, though I do go there with the family as well, not just to ride. I even spend time on the family trail just to build up mileage for riding, so I don't have to do big mileages on the roads.

Would like to try and meet up at Blean sometime though, just got to juggle family life around it LOL.
  • RussAlf
    Yeah ive seen the slip way you can park in along the A21 and then ride along the Bridle Way just up there.

Planning on riding this Friday around surrey area if anyone is free.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    RussAlf, as mentioned above, bridleways go straight into Bedgebury, I have given them my fair share of money since it opened and wont be giving much more until I see some of it being spent on the mtb side of things to improve (make rideable?) the course instead of new meeting buildings and such like nonsense

Yep thats the Rotherfield. Theres one big area which has loads of mad jumps which I ignore on lack of skill reasons, this area is really club members only but new people are welcome to come and ride it a few times, there are also some good non jumpy downhill single track runs in there, quite technical and a dual slalom course. Throughout the rest of the wood there are various other singletrack sections, mainly downhill which can be quite technical but no jumps so go as fast as you dare, minute long sort of things then just fire road back up.

Last night we went off down the road to this old byway I think it is thats now due to water flow the most lethal rutted downhill I have ever seen in my life, 3 semi crashes but got to the bottom although it takes about 5 minutes! Cant wait to do it again next time im there heh. I will probably be up there one night next week testing a new frame and can show you around if interested or just potter up there yourself one time, give me your email address and I can tell you where it is exactly

Where abouts in Surrey do you go? I have done all 5 of the Gorrick spring series races this year where had some brilliant courses and most venues were quite dry as its sand based. There have been tons of other paths at each venue as well but I have always been too dead after the race to check them out heh
  • pcsplace
    Is anyone planning on riding any routes around Bluebell hill in the next few weeks? I have viewed some routes posted by RussAlf but would be keen to ride them with someone who knows exactly where they are going! I am pretty fit, maybe not as fit as you guys doing marathon rides all the time though! I live in Ashford and desparately want to find some local routes to ride as I am getting bored with King's Wood now!
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • RussAlf
    breezer wrote:
    RussAlf, as mentioned above, bridleways go straight into Bedgebury, I have given them my fair share of money since it opened and wont be giving much more until I see some of it being spent on the mtb side of things to improve (make rideable?) the course instead of new meeting buildings and such like nonsense

Yep thats the Rotherfield. Theres one big area which has loads of mad jumps which I ignore on lack of skill reasons, this area is really club members only but new people are welcome to come and ride it a few times, there are also some good non jumpy downhill single track runs in there, quite technical and a dual slalom course. Throughout the rest of the wood there are various other singletrack sections, mainly downhill which can be quite technical but no jumps so go as fast as you dare, minute long sort of things then just fire road back up.

Last night we went off down the road to this old byway I think it is thats now due to water flow the most lethal rutted downhill I have ever seen in my life, 3 semi crashes but got to the bottom although it takes about 5 minutes! Cant wait to do it again next time im there heh. I will probably be up there one night next week testing a new frame and can show you around if interested or just potter up there yourself one time, give me your email address and I can tell you where it is exactly

Where abouts in Surrey do you go? I have done all 5 of the Gorrick spring series races this year where had some brilliant courses and most venues were quite dry as its sand based. There have been tons of other paths at each venue as well but I have always been too dead after the race to check them out heh

Thanks for the info, Rotherfield definatley sounds like a good place to check out. I would be really intrested in coming along with you if that would be ok, wouldnt mind checking it out myself aswell so if you could pm or email me on nutshbroller@hotmail.com, ill be about next week so let me know.

In Surrey i go to Pitch, Holmbury and Leith HIll. Ive ridden there alot and have alot of the singletrack and Trails programmed in on my Gps. Surrey hills do dry really qucik, last time i was there it was getting dusty allready.

Thanks
  • RussAlf
    pcsplace wrote:
    Is anyone planning on riding any routes around Bluebell hill in the next few weeks? I have viewed some routes posted by RussAlf but would be keen to ride them with someone who knows exactly where they are going! I am pretty fit, maybe not as fit as you guys doing marathon rides all the time though! I live in Ashford and desparately want to find some local routes to ride as I am getting bored with King's Wood now!

Not this weekend but next i reckon we could sort out a ride.
  • Papa Smurf
    pcsplace wrote:

I'm the most local to BBH and I know the routes put up my Russ like the back of my hand, plus I'm not super fit so don't always ride like I have a rocket up my ass.
    I'd be happy to take you around there this weekend if your up for it? Either saturday or Sunday is good for me..
  • pcsplace
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    pcsplace wrote:

I'm the most local to BBH and I know the routes put up my Russ like the back of my hand, plus I'm not super fit so don't always ride like I have a rocket up my ass.
    I'd be happy to take you around there this weekend if your up for it? Either saturday or Sunday is good for me..

Sunday am would probably be best around 10ish. How long does the ride usually take to finish, I noticed that it's approx 18mile, and what time would be wanting to start?
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • Papa Smurf
    pcsplace wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    pcsplace wrote:

Sunday am would probably be best around 10ish. How long does the ride usually take to finish, I noticed that it's approx 18mile, and what time would be wanting to start?

Ok Sunday it is. The ride normally takes about 3 hours- That's my standard time which works out at a pretty good pace. Depends where you go though, it's quite easy to cut out large sections if you don't fancy it, and tbh some of the hills are flippin mental!
    I can start anytime, normally it's 9am but I'm really not fussed.
    You got directions for the viewpoint?
  • pcsplace
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    pcsplace wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    pcsplace wrote:

Ok Sunday it is. The ride normally takes about 3 hours- That's my standard time which works out at a pretty good pace. Depends where you go though, it's quite easy to cut out large sections if you don't fancy it, and tbh some of the hills are flippin mental!
    I can start anytime, normally it's 9am but I'm really not fussed.
    You got directions for the viewpoint?

I am happy to meet up at 9am. I guess the start point will be the little car park at the top of the hill just off of the A229? I have a friend who may also be interested in coming will check with him.

What keen of terrain should I expect for the ride? I will likely bring a full sus with me as I am currently running it in.
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • Papa Smurf
    Yep, that's the normal start point. Could park closer to the main trails but the route finishes at BBH so best to park there.
    And yeah, bring your mate if he's interested.
    The terrain is some road riding but mainly single track with the odd few roots and very steep yet relatively straight DH runs. The hills are absolute killers so you'll undoubtedly fair a lot better than me on a Full Suss, poor me and my hardtail lol
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    PCSPLACE wrote:
    What keen of terrain should I expect for the ride? I will likely bring a full sus with me as I am currently running it in

Full-sus is a great idea for the rocky descents, but only if it's a decent climber too. What you riding? As Papa said, some of the ascents are nothing short of EVIL :twisted:
    There's a road section that you either ride down (I managed 42mph :shock: ) or labour up.
    Check out Deadpool2e's little collection of our attempts at DH'ing at BBH here.
    As long as you don't break any ribs :roll: or nearly break your jaw :roll: you'll come away from BBH with acheing legs and acheing smile-muscles :wink:

Not sure if I can this weekend 'cos I should be helping the missus pack for holiday. :roll: I'll let you know if I can negotiate a day-release :wink:
  • pcsplace
    I'll be riding an Orange 5 i think unless i change my mind and go with a hardtail. I need to clock up some miles on the 5 though as it's hardly worn in yet.

Sunday it is then. I think a friend will come as well so should be a good morning. I will PM you my contact details papa smurf
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • pcsplace
    Papa Smurf, Let's meet at BBH at 8.45 and begin the ride at 9am
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • Papa Smurf
    Cool!

I don't know much about the Orange 5 but take it from me and Ade... If it aint a damn good climber.. Don't bring it! I swear that on some of the hills you could lift the wheel up by an inch and fall backwards into the sky...
  • Pejay
    Pejay Posts: 7
    pcsplace wrote:
    Is anyone planning on riding any routes around Bluebell hill in the next few weeks?

If any of you Guys are interested MCC Offroad lead rides from around BBH we have one on the Sunday 27th April, check out our website at

www.mccoffroad.co.uk

We also start from other places in Kent and beyond..

The rides list will be updated shortly, with rides from Leith Hill, Plaxtol, Faversham etc..
  • RussAlf
    Orange 5 will be fine around BBH, the hills can get steep but there not that long. The descents can get rocky but are generally pretty smooth.
  • pcsplace
    RussAlf wrote:
    Orange 5 will be fine around BBH, the hills can get steep but there not that long. The descents can get rocky but are generally pretty smooth.

Thanks Russ!
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    Hi, I live in Maidstone and ride on the downs around Bluebell Hill most sunday afternoons and during the day or in the evening about once during the week.... i am just coming back to riding after breaking a few bones which took some time to heal as i'm not as young as i used to be.... i'm up for meeting up whenever possible to ride.

I do have a question.... why do you start the rides at the top of the hill... this means you have to finish with an up hill....

Anyone in the area please feel fre to get in touch...

Cheers