XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• Pejay
    Pejay Posts: 7
    Because we live at the top of the hill not the bottom :-)
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    mbnut wrote:
    Hi, I live in Maidstone and ride on the downs around Bluebell Hill most sunday afternoons and during the day or in the evening about once during the week.... i am just coming back to riding after breaking a few bones which took some time to heal as i'm not as young as i used to be.... i'm up for meeting up whenever possible to ride.

I do have a question.... why do you start the rides at the top of the hill... this means you have to finish with an up hill....

Anyone in the area please feel fre to get in touch...

Cheers

Well for 1, There's parking there. 2. You can start with that great DH track if you so wanted and 3. The boxley ride we do is easy to get too from the top. When we finish we come out near the petrol station and just ride up from there, it's nothing to strenuous.
    And yeah, if your up for it, come along! Tommorrow at 8.45 if you can.
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    mbnut wrote:
    Hi, I live in Maidstone and ride on the downs around Bluebell Hill most sunday afternoons and during the day or in the evening about once during the week.... i am just coming back to riding after breaking a few bones which took some time to heal as i'm not as young as i used to be.... i'm up for meeting up whenever possible to ride.

I do have a question.... why do you start the rides at the top of the hill... this means you have to finish with an up hill....

Anyone in the area please feel fre to get in touch...

Cheers

I agree, its always better to finish on a rush at the end of a downhill and the uphill at the beginging warms you up nicely. Not being hugely local to the area we have always just agreed to park there as its easy and free. Do you know of any other good parking spots?
  • Papa Smurf
    Good paced ride today guys, not a bad time either. Can you post up the stats Paul? Climb distance etc...
  • pcsplace
    pcsplace Posts: 118
    Enjoyed the ride, thanks very much for showing us some of the trails! Here's the map & elevation taken from the garmin.

bbh_route_27_04_08-vi.jpg

bbh_27_04_08-vi.jpg

You should be able to click on this and find a link to download the original size jpeg's.
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • pcsplace
    Street level map of todays ride, again link pic and find link for bigger jpeg.

bbh_street_27_04_08-vi.jpg
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • Papa Smurf
    What was our maximum elevation? 400 odd metres or something...
  • pcsplace
    There is about 3.3 feet to a metre.

The start point is around 186 Metres above sea level, our total climb today was 286 metres which covered a distance of 2.3 miles (32% of the overall ride.). 7.11 mile was classed as "flatish" within reason (50% of the ride) and we went downhill for 2.42 miles descending 262.6 metres (18% of the ride)
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • RussAlf
    Looks very similar to the ride that you took us on Papa! Sorry to say but you missed out on alot of good sections guys. At about 8 miles in after the uphill that comes out by the road you should have gone up hill on the road and then gone left along the top of the North Downs way and it would have taken you along a good track and a downhill section which involves steps that have caught many of us out. Also west of the view point has alot of good sections.
  • pcsplace
    I'm comparing the route against the one you linked to and while we did follow alot of sections you had on your map we did follow different paths and directions. May visit again next week but map your route out and upload to Garmin so that we can follow it. This is the route I have of yours...

http://public.fotki.com/russalford/moun ... ggest.html

The only thing from your route i'm not sure of is the direction that should be followed for the best ride.
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • Papa Smurf
    We only missed out a few bits that you lot did Russ because I only rhode with you lot the first time so did the route I know, I know you've found new places since..
  • pcsplace
    RussAlf wrote:

muchos gracias!

Am going to "try" and plot it so I can put on my gps.
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • RussAlf
    If you have problems ill plot it for you and send you the gpx file. Ill have to plot it from scratch as i dont keep the gpx files of the rides but i think i will from now on.
  • pcsplace
    RussAlf wrote:
    If you have problems ill plot it for you and send you the gpx file. Ill have to plot it from scratch as i dont keep the gpx files of the rides but i think i will from now on.

What do you usually use to plot the routes and upload? I tried...

http://www.zonums.com/gmaps/digipoint.html

However when I had finished the file it created wouldnt work properly. I tried exporting to gpx and csv and neither would go on the garmin, weren't recognised.
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • RussAlf
    I use a mapping program called Tracklogs.

http://www.tracklogs.co.uk

£20 for the Southeast maps and software. Any questions just ask.
  • pcsplace
    RussAlf wrote:

ok thanks I'll take a look.
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • rl7
    rl7 Posts: 11
    Saw the guys at BBH today and we did a route to most of same places -virtually all offroad part from crossings and a couple of short stretches- plus a couple of loops into walderslade for steps, drops and a few jumps.

from footbridge over M2 near tall aerials you can go out to NDW to Bell lane and cross field to NDW- great and dry today and excellent bit just before Harp farm just down in wood from edge of field. There's also an old Dh track at BBH end bit of this just down footpath and off to right.

Boxley to Detling loop is much better the other way and you can do a better downhill section at BOxley end IMO- fast DH from top of Boxley goes straight down left hand side of road from just left of play area at top. along pilgims way and straight up side of field to where the trees are newly cut down. then along to bottom Detling is mainly across and mainly slightly downhill. can do a climb that comes out half way up stony track. Once back along at top Boxley you can do the start of DH from Boxley and then go up and across Boxley hill on main routes posted. There's also steepish bit if you cut the left hand corner of the DH plus play area at top of Boxley hill.

mudhound
  • pcsplace
    RussAlf wrote:

I just downloaded the demo version and was impressed. Have ordered the South East region maps version. I was hoping I could just download once I'd paid for it but it looks like you have to wait for the CD. Oh well wait for that and GTA 4 this week now! :)
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Looks like we've got a big ride at BBH to organise ASAP. 8)

Me, Russ, Nick & Andy can bore you all about our April snow adventures on the South Downs Way :wink:
  • GTA 4 this week now! :)[/quote]

tomorrow evening my girlfriend is going to hate me!! :wink:
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    count me in as well and i will bore you about my Afan holiday ( will post pics and vids soon if you are at all interested) Cant do this sunday though.

BTW i so badly want a ps3 with GTA4 but dont want a 40gig one, i will wait until the 80gig comes out
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • BTW i so badly want a ps3 with GTA4 but dont want a 40gig one, i will wait until the 80gig comes out[/quote]

Just get one!! haha I've got the original 60gig one and I'm no where near filling it up. You could always tie it up to an external h.drive.

I'm in Bromley also, but still riding around Hayes, Coney Hall, Keston and Shirley Hills etc. I've had a few trips to Bedgebury, but think I'll read more of this thread and spread my wings a bit.
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    I want one with the memory slots in the front which the 40 gig does not have.anyway...

I also ride around hayes and keston, norman park etc. feel free to come along on any of these ride all the guys are nice blokes.

Look forward to seeing you at a ride sometime.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • deadpool2e wrote:
    I want one with the memory slots in the front which the 40 gig does not have.anyway...

I also ride around hayes and keston, norman park etc. feel free to come along on any of these ride all the guys are nice blokes.

Look forward to seeing you at a ride sometime.

Cheers!
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    deadpool2e wrote:
    count me in as well and i will bore you about my Afan holiday ( will post pics and vids soon if you are at all interested) Cant do this sunday though.

BTW i so badly want a ps3 with GTA4 but dont want a 40gig one, i will wait until the 80gig comes out
    Can't wait to see the pics etc Mark. Only a month until i get to go myself :D Hope you had a great time.
  • mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    I agree, its always better to finish on a rush at the end of a downhill and the uphill at the beginging warms you up nicely. Not being hugely local to the area we have always just agreed to park there as its easy and free. Do you know of any other good parking spots?[/quote]

I park at the malta or the village hotel so that i can finish on a down hill section and then have a pint.... nice

I usually go out on a sunday afternoon as a couple of guys i ride with can only make the afternoon but i will try and meet up with you guys in the morning for a spin soon... can't do this weekend as i'm of to Afan... can't wait

I notice that lots of people have there own way around our little bit of the downs... perhaps we should put together a a list with some descent descriptions of where each bit is as i have spent all my money on my bike and won't have enough for the new garmin edge 405 for a few months...

just a quick note... i was working in plymouth yesterday and stopped at Haldon Forest centre on the A38 just south of Exeter on my way back... only 7 miles but several bits worth doing twice.... if you are every passing it give it a ride as it was excellent

Cheers
  • mbnut
    I agree, its always better to finish on a rush at the end of a downhill and the uphill at the beginging warms you up nicely. Not being hugely local to the area we have always just agreed to park there as its easy and free. Do you know of any other good parking spots?[/quote]

I park at the malta or the village hotel so that i can finish on a down hill section and then have a pint.... nice

I usually go out on a sunday afternoon as a couple of guys i ride with can only make the afternoon but i will try and meet up with you guys in the morning for a spin soon... can't do this weekend as i'm of to Afan... can't wait

I notice that lots of people have there own way around our little bit of the downs... perhaps we should put together a a list with some descent descriptions of where each bit is as i have spent all my money on my bike and won't have enough for the new garmin edge 405 for a few months...

just a quick note... i was working in plymouth yesterday and stopped at Haldon Forest centre on the A38 just south of Exeter on my way back... only 7 miles but several bits worth doing twice.... if you are every passing it give it a ride as it was excellent

Cheers
  • pcsplace
    I had TrackLogs delivered today, very good software. I have added the BBH route into it now and uploaded to my Garmin. All set for the next ride over that way now!
    Orange 5 Pro 2008
    GT Avalanche 2.0 2007
  • mbnut
    Anyone riding during the evenings this week... i'm all mad keen after riding at Afan this weekend.... i'll be out so it would be good to meet up

Cheers