XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    I wouldnt worry about poploc, its just annoying having another thing on the bars, its not hard to reach down and lock them out. I had a pair of recons with pop-loc and have since avoided poploc on a set off revelations and pikes, i much prefer the turn key lock out on the fork but then i never lock my forks out.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    yeh i was looking for the poploc in specific just them forks seem a bloody good deal for £100 :lol: what do you think of them?

so what bike are you bringing tomorrow nick?
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • RussAlf
    Those toras are coil and will come with a medium spring which is good for a rider up to about 75kgs, if you weigh more than that you will have to buy the firm spring which is about £20 and fit it.

edit: Toras are an excellent fork and well respected.
  • stevet1992
    :shock: ok im a bit over that at 95KG :lol: but thats not all due to fatness im 6 ft 5 so that doesnt help either :lol:

i assume most forks will come with the medium spring so i would have to pay for a new spring anyway ?

• RussAlf
    Yeah all the coil shocks come with the medium spring thats why alot of the heavier riders go for air forks as they are easier to tune.

Heres the spring guide

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf

Changing the spring isnt to hard there are alot of guides on the net, springs can be purchased from TF tuned or mojo shocks.

:lol:
  • stevet1992
    If they are going to be an extra £20 then there are some Tora air's

sorry to turn this into a buying advice section now ill stop :shock:

• breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    edited December 2008
    Russ I will take another look at the guide tomorrow heh, wish I hadnt got u turn ones now but all that was around with looking for 2nd hand

My sister gave me a co2 inflator thing which I will use for the gorrick races if required, done 6 so far and no mechanicals, pushing my luck!

Pittpony: Iron Horse Sunday?
  • breezer
    Yes dont bother with poploc, I far prefer the adjuster on the top of my stanchions on the current Pikes, ok its very on/off with naff all inbetween but thats fine for on the road and at least there is some adjustment without having to faff with the stupid knob on the pop loc.

If air ones are only £20 more get them. I had coil pikes with a medium spring as standard which was too soft for me at 85kg. Ive had more women than I saw 2nd hand hard springs (not many!) and a new one was £40! so I sold my coil Pikes and got the current dual air ones for the same price off ebay as what I sold mine
  • breezer
    hmm just noted on srams site that im not putting in as much air as I should be for my weight. I was using similar figures to my friend who I presumed was the same weight as me as similar height, clearly im a fat git lol, will try adding 30psi (cough) and see how they feel!
  • RussAlf
    Everyone runs lower pressure than sram suggest it seems, i do and so do others
  • breezer
    Well 125 does seem to give right amount of travel use for me, will do the oil change as you say as from what I make out I can just tap the lowers off a bit, far enough to let the oil drain then refil so I dont have to worry about mucking up the seals on the top etc. The fact I have to run lower pressure in the -ve suggests a problem with the o rings but maybe its just a lack of oil as I fill it up with the bike the right way up so it always comes out when you remove the pump. Its a bloody pain having 2 chambers, good in principle but fox's and manitous etc ive had have been fine with single chamber

On a different note, neighbours must have gone out and left their visitors POS Vectra here which now has its alarm going off randomly every couple of minutes, time to find a brick.... :x
  • Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Hi Guys,

Not been able to get on the last few days, Russ well done for doing something cool to get your injuries, my bros used to skate lots. One of them does still a bit. Hates biking though, he is too lazy.

Tomorrow at 1, dunno if i will make it as was meant to go round Blean today with the missus but was so hungover i failed! Have promised a night ride tomorrow with her. 2 rides in one day could be a bit severe... But i am keen to check it out and explore. Might see how i feel in the morning. Is there a map anywhere of where to meet??

Has anyone seen Seasons by The Collective, was as close as i got to biking today, was bloody excellent. Recommend it highly and there are a few t o r r e n t s out there if you know what i mean... :wink:
  • breezer
    Women riders, I need one of them, saw a mother and daughter (I presume) in Friston yesterday going down Snap Hill although almost as slowly as I just rode up it lol

Yes I have seen Seasons, I bought it (although I do have a number from those sort of sites you mention.....) its a shame that all the riding in it is beyond 98% of riders. I really liked the bit with Shandro and Watson in their first selt titled release as that was just them ripping down twisty singletrack, no silly jumps etc, thats mountain biking to me, not back flips
  • Ah c'mon Legless... Be a man! Blean is easy afterall...

I'm not one for maps but I do know you wanna follow directions for the creamatorium, then rather than turning down to that, you carry on up the road.. To the very end, take a right, up across the bridge and shortly after on the Left.. Is the Viewpoint...
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Rou - have a look here - its on the left off common road, not too hard to find and you have my number if you get lost. Hope you can make it, i wasn't planning on the most intense ride as i rode today and am riding on Tuesday as well.

Breezer - nope not an Iron Horse Sunday. Keep guessing! :lol:
  • stevet1992 wrote:
    If they are going to be an extra £20 then there are some Tora air's

sorry to turn this into a buying advice section now ill stop :shock:
    6'5, your a giant :wink: Personally i would go for the coil Toura's. My old Marzocchi MX Pro's were air's and i was constantly fiddling around with the air pressure, i just couldn't get them to feel right, and they were supposed to be really good forks. I am much happier with the coil Pikes, and they feel smoother and more progressive than the dual air's i think. Also the v-brake bosses on the air's you linked to would drive me mad! Either would be a MASSIVE improvement over the XCM's, i got my sister a Vulcan for Christmas and they are shite, i tried to get a Dart 2 and replace them before i gave it to her but ran out of money, but luckily she is happy with them!
  • pittpony wrote:
    Rou - have a look here - its on the left off common road, not too hard to find and you have my number if you get lost. Hope you can make it, i wasn't planning on the most intense ride as i rode today and am riding on Tuesday as well.

Breezer - nope not an Iron Horse Sunday. Keep guessing! :lol:
    Santa Cruz V10?

How was Cannock Chase?
  • breezer
    A Shetland Pony?
  • Whatever it was, did you have a clipless moment? Any wooden bridges nearby? :lol:

Rou, if you do follow that link Nick posted.. Be aware that the viewpoint is way before the bubble that pops up... The 180 turn coming off the A229 brings you out directly opposite the viewpoint..

I expect to see you there young man.. :lol:
  • i may turn up today at 1. dont wait though as i will have to sneak away from work so not sure yet.

Nick was it a Penny Farthing? or A Unicycle?
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • breezer
    I have been known to ride round muddy woods on a unicycle 8)

Downhills become quite a test of balance when you lock up the only wheel! :D
  • RussAlf
    I reckon a Carbon Trance???
  • breezer
    ah back at work. I am actually sat in my server room atm as its warmer than my office which is currently 12C !! Had no sleep due to the 80 text messages from the frigging temperatures sensors here as one of the air con units has fits when its really cold outside oh and ffs just remembered I left my forks at home so will be going back to get them at lunch :x

Need to be out on a bike!
  • RussAlf
    Yup im at work to, its was frecking freezing riding this morning at 06:25 the tears from my eyes were actually freezing. When i got tot the station i think every part of me was frozen.

Has anyone seen the unicycyle DH vids on Pinkbike?
  • breezer
    Was cold in my car until the heater got going :p

Ive seen some crazy ones before. I used to play unicycle hockey as well heh
  • It was cold this morning cycling to work for sure. even managed to 2 wheel drift on some black ice :D shat myself as i was half asleep.

Not going to be able to make it as wife is not well and need to look after those little cherubs of mine.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • stevet1992
    :shock: i had to ride in at 5 saturday and sunday

was not a nice thing at all, what made it worse was i had forgot my gloves :lol:

would be good if you could make it legless, deadpool, is a bastard for me to get there :shock: leave at 10:15 from my house to get to there for 1 :( im sure its worth it though 8)

enjoy your days at work :roll: try not to think about us lot ripping around BBH to much eh :wink:

• pittpony
    Ha ha good guesses guys - none are right though. There were a few ponies about Breezer and I do like the look of horsey girls ;)

Shame you can't make it Mark - see some of you at 1 :)
  • pittpony
    Ha ha good guesses guys - none are right though. There were a few ponies about Breezer and I do like the look of horsey girls ;)

Shame you can't make it Mark - see some of you at 1 :)
  • RussAlf
    Please tell me Nick?

p.s currently replying to "2009"