XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    :lol: i think i caught the last bit of your converstaion about the BB "some nice cheap grease and go to town" was what i caught

ooo and yes Jon the toras are a good 300g lighter then my current forks :twisted: i just looked the weight of both of them up and the suntours are 2500g and the toras 2162g
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Ok I admit it.. I'm getting old, and what with my hernia and bad back and me knees, and of course my frozen shoulder.. Well I'm bound to be abit slower, than Madam Nick on her Trance anyway :lol:

Bloody hell.. My old forks must of been super light then, cos once those Tora's was on.. Well, it felt twice as heavy by a mile!
  • Papa Smurf wrote:
    Ok I admit it.. I'm getting old, and what with my hernia and bad back and me knees, and of course my frozen shoulder.. Well I'm bound to be abit slower, than Madam Nick on her Trance anyway :lol:

Bloody hell.. My old forks must of been super light then, cos once those Tora's was on.. Well, it felt twice as heavy by a mile!
    Getting old? Shut up i'm 8 years older than you and was a complete lard ass for at least 25 of those, i can't remember ever not being fat untill recently, so age has nothing to do with it! A couple of the Kent-Trails guy's are much older than me and leave me for dead sometimes :shock:

So what Toura's are you going for then Steve, coil or air? And tose Suntours do weigh an absolute tone, i really felt the difference going from them to the MX Pro's.

I went riding in Blean tonight but didn't get any further than the downhill bit of singletrack off the carpark as my front shifter seized up, and through fiddleing around trying to figure out what was wrong managed to get it jammed up against the bash ring, so had to release the cable and peddle back in the granny ring. Agghh!! Still got to fix it before i go to bed! What's wrong with your bike Nick? Oh and lol at the tandem :lol:
  • stevet1992
    I think im going to go for these due to the fact that as someone mentioned above air can be fiddly and also at £100 i think they are a bargain

is there anyway to get rid of this bloody annoying cramp :roll: still suffering from 'attacks' and its getting annoying :lol:

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Just shifting problems Andy, I need to re-index the gears and it should be fine.

Sorry to hear your ride was spoiled by a mechanical - always a disappointment :(
  • stevet1992
    pittpony wrote:

Sorry to hear your ride was spoiled by a mechanical - always a disappointment :(

other then that and my stupidity of putting a tyre on the wrong way round we didnt have any technicals :shock: i was suprised i didnt get a puncture my back tube must have a million patches on it n :lol:

• Papa Smurf wrote:
    Ok I admit it.. I'm getting old, and what with my hernia and bad back and me knees, and of course my frozen shoulder.. Well I'm bound to be abit slower, than Madam Nick on her Trance anyway :lol:

Getting old? Shut up i'm 8 years older than you and was a complete lard ass for at least 25 of those, i can't remember ever not being fat untill recently, so age has nothing to do with it! A couple of the Kent-Trails guy's are much older than me and leave me for dead sometimes :shock:

But I am old.. Least I feel twice my age :lol:

Ok so I dont have a hernia and frozen shoulder.. But I does have bad knees and my back is fucked, though thankfully it doesnt give me too much hassle while riding.

Its alright for you.. You can ride alot more than me :(
  • stevet1992 wrote:
    I think im going to go for these due to the fact that as someone mentioned above air can be fiddly and also at £100 i think they are a bargain

is there anyway to get rid of this bloody annoying cramp :roll: still suffering from 'attacks' and its getting annoying :lol:
    One remedy for cramps is a pint of water with some fruit squash or something, with a couple of teespoons os salt, or is that for dehydration :? Sorry i don't think i am that much help. Ask in the health and fitness forum, they should give you some ideas. In the future though you could try some recovery drinks.
  • stevet1992

One remedy for cramps is a pint of water with some fruit squash or something, with a couple of teespoons os salt, or is that for dehydration :? Sorry i don't think i am that much help. Ask in the health and fitness forum, they should give you some ideas. In the future though you could try some recovery drinks.[/quote]

ok cheers for the idea, asked on there and will have to put up with them untill someone replies :(

• breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    During some of those gorrick races I got bad stomach ache and cramps to the point where in one I contemplated leaving the course and doing an impression of a bear in the woods, say no more....this was 190bpm+ average for a hour though so body was stressed, made sure I wore looser and baggier shorts after that one!
  • stevet1992
    breezer wrote:
    During some of those gorrick races I got bad stomach ache and cramps to the point where in one I contemplated leaving the course and doing an impression of a bear in the woods, say no more....this was 190bpm+ average for a hour though so body was stressed, made sure I wore looser and baggier shorts after that one!
    :lol: that was the impression i gave off

managed to dive into a road sign aswell :roll: that one hurt

• breezer
    lol sounds a bit silly although not as silly as the time I rode home from the pub once after just 1 or 2 (ahem) ciders and whisky shots and decided to do some elite slalom riding between these rocks on a side verge only to be utterly cheeked by a really submerged drain hole cover, A&E at 1am to be stitched up was tedious heh
  • breezer
    Back vaguely on topic (lol). Theres no way I can drag myself 40000000 miles to Swinley on the 4th to ride a heavy HT but if anyone is heading to Blean on the 1/2/3/4th no earlier than 10am in the morning then I am up for that but would need showing around, can probably drag a friend from Ashford along as well
  • stevet1992
    breezer wrote:
    Back vaguely on topic (lol). Theres no way I can drag myself 40000000 miles to Swinley on the 4th to ride a heavy HT but if anyone is heading to Blean on the 1/2/3/4th no earlier than 10am in the morning then I am up for that but would need showing around, can probably drag a friend from Ashford along as well

i would come but i vowed never to ride my bike again aslong as it still has bloody suntour XCM's on it :roll: ordering toras this friday so im not out for that long :wink:

• breezer
    Order them today and they may arrive by the weekend :D
  • stevet1992
    :lol: unfortunatly the bank account wont let me something to do with lack of funds :roll:

im getting paid this friday so thats why im ordering them then 8)

sorry breezer

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/rockshox-springs/

If you get those Toras Steve you will definately need to order the firm spring, you will have loads of sag and bottom out far to easily on the medium spring.
  • RussAlf
    Got my forks from TF Tuned back! PUSHed and serviced.

Knackered old seals.
    DSC00224-vi.jpg

Just need a frame to attach them to now :cry:
    DSC00225-vi.jpg

Breezer you might find this interesting, before the service i to had to run lower neg pressure or the travel would start to dissapearing. On the service report it says that the cap which goes between the 2 chambers was disloged which was causing the air to move between the chambers. They have replaced this part and now according to my service guide i have 125psi positive pressure and 135psi negative pressure. If i was to have run this pressure like this before hand i would have lost about 15mm of travel. Pushing down on the forks they always return to full travel.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    how much did it cost to get them done Russ? I have a similar problem with my Rebas at the moment...
  • breezer
    edited December 2008
    That sounds exactly like what I have. How much did it cost? I got confused on their website the other day as the basic service is £70 and to push it costs £120 odd, cant for the life of me find it on their site now. Anyway, what wasnt clear was does the Push work include the full basic service as they mentioned new dampers and all that so I thought for only £50 more it sounded like a bargain in comparison to the basic service which I think is a bit costly

Mine do fully retract though I should add but if I run 120+ and 60- they sag to about 100mm when standing normally on the bike whereas my friends identical 454's dont sag as much and he runs 120 in both chambers plus mine feel really harsh but any more negative and they sag down more!
  • stevet1992
    ok cheers for that russ 8)

anyone know how easy it is to fit forks? my dads got all the equipment ever needed :lol: so its just down to me and knowledge really :shock:

• RussAlf
    It cost £135 including delivery both ways for the Push and service. I was tempted to buy all the seals and do it myself but i couldnt be farked and i needed chearing up with no frame to ride. Its £70 for the basic service or £120 for the service and Push upgrade, i read lots of reviews on STW and other forums and they all rave about how plush they feel afterwards, More info here http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Push-Rock-Shox-Pike-2007.html

My Forks before were leaking from under the u turn cap and from the floodgate adjuster on the other leg, plus they felt very sticky and i had the air transfer problem. But i bought them for £200 second hand and they didnt leak untill 2 months of owning them.

I used to run 120psi in the positive and 80psi in the negative, this would give me full 140mm travel and i would be saged to about 115mm.[/url]
  • RussAlf
    stevet1992 wrote:
    ok cheers for that russ 8)

anyone know how easy it is to fit forks? my dads got all the equipment ever needed :lol: so its just down to me and knowledge really :shock:

Its really easy,

remove crown race from old forks and transfer onto new forks
    remove star nut from old forks
    Cut steerer to correct lenght, (measure twice cut once if you cut it to short your forks are farked)
    Insert star nut

Fit back on bike
  • breezer
    Yer found that page earlier heh but now just noted the Push logo on the left lol, was being blind a few minutes ago :D

I might get mine done as well then if £135. Its still a lot but I cant falt the forks really. I got them cheap for £180 2nd hand with a couple of marks and I got £190 selling my coil ones which needed a £40 firmer spring so....at least if I get them serviced and pushed they should be good for a couple of years.

Need to wait till I get a reply from CRC who should have recieved my Turners manitous today along with a nice letter. Got to either way for them to be "fixed" again or refunded so I can buy fox's, I cant send the Pikes off until then as it will leave me with only the rigid Breezer heh
  • breezer
    Insert star nut...something ive only managed once and warning, this may kill you......I used a lot of swearing and managed to get it into my old Revelations, THEN I cut the steerer down and guess where the star nut was :oops: :oops: :oops: LOL

I now use a x lite head plug thing or whatever its called on the Manitou, mixed reports but does the job

Best thing I found for fitting a crown race was a bit of quite thick random plumbing tubing which went over the steerer but narrower than the crown race so easy to bash down, getting them off is another matter!
  • RussAlf
    Think i used a socket extension to tap the star nuts in that ive done. Thats pretty funny you cut through the star nut aswell :lol::lol: Ill admit i nearlly did that myself once.

I normally like to do all my servicing myself but i just couldnt be bothered with the pikes, if i ever get a frame again in my life time ill tell you how they ride.
  • breezer
    I bought a proper park tool when i got the manitous but just couldnt get it in, think they have a thicker steerer than the Revelations at least as the x lite bung thing also had to be hammered in whereas in the Revs it slid in fine

Ive got a 5 Spot frame sat in my lounge doing nothing if thats any use heh although hopefully will have forks again soon! :(

Photo obviously taken just after removing the forks the first time before sending back. Joys of living alone means no women to moan if you take bikes apart in front of the tv :D

Photo041.jpg
  • Dont worry Russ im sure you will be out riding soon.

Looking forward to Sunday Guys,
    Can anyone recommed any good cycling gloves for very cold weather? as i only have summer ones and like to be able to feel my fingers..
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.