XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Can I bring my Gimp? I will if I'm not too tired, cos of course I'd have to drag it behind the bike...

to far man to far :lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • stevet1992 wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Can I bring my Gimp? I will if I'm not too tired, cos of course I'd have to drag it behind the bike...

to far man to far :lol:

What? I've done it before.. :lol:
  • stevet1992
    :evil: wont let me send anymore PM's jon bloody thing :lol:

:shock: last 10 odd posts have just been me and jon anyone else want to contribute :roll:

• Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Damn, wish i had hooked up with you Andy, i was meant to be away for the duration but got the itch today as i woke up earlyish and felt keen. Went to get the bike and then made the fatal error of going to Clowes. Will probably be out Sunday at some stage, although can't say for definite.

Russ, were they w@anking injuries, or did you do something cool? Those powerballs are meant to be pretty good...
  • Legless
    What time on the 29th is everyone thinking? And are we talking Blean, i could get out then i reckon. That's the Monday isn't it...
  • stevet1992
    29th we are talking about blue bell hill near maidstone

i think we are doing a ride new years day around blean if you are not to hang over :lol:

• I was thinking around noon on new years day. Think we are going to London somewhere new years eve but i am not planning on drinking much. I'm not a big drinker any more.
  • Legless
    Won't be around on New YEars, will be in the South West, could be keen for bbh though... What time?
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Legless wrote:
    Damn, wish i had hooked up with you Andy, i was meant to be away for the duration but got the itch today as i woke up earlyish and felt keen. Went to get the bike and then made the fatal error of going to Clowes. Will probably be out Sunday at some stage, although can't say for definite.

Russ, were they w@anking injuries, or did you do something cool? Those powerballs are meant to be pretty good...

aotopacidredhill-vi.jpg

Did it for 10 years, sponsored, toured, magazine featured had to give it up because i got old and couldnt take constantly hurting myself everytime i went out.
  • Legless wrote:
    Won't be around on New YEars, will be in the South West, could be keen for bbh though... What time?

Not sure on time, depends on what time Nick would be passing through if he's still up for it.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Yeah i'm still up for it, as long as Jon and Steve have stopped flirting by then ;)

I'll leave the midlands at about 10 so will be looking at a couple of hours if the traffic is OK.

Tell you what - shall we say 1 o clock at the car park (lookout / viewpoint, can never remember which it is called) as if i'm early i can pick some lunch up. I'll text if i'm going to be late and will just have to come and find you out on the hills - there's a lot of criss crossing and looping round at BBH so i should be able to catch you up using a shortcut.
  • stevet1992
    pittpony wrote:
    Yeah i'm still up for it, as long as Jon and Steve have stopped flirting by then ;)

I'll leave the midlands at about 10 so will be looking at a couple of hours if the traffic is OK.

Tell you what - shall we say 1 o clock at the car park (lookout / viewpoint, can never remember which it is called) as if i'm early i can pick some lunch up. I'll text if i'm going to be late and will just have to come and find you out on the hills - there's a lot of criss crossing and looping round at BBH so i should be able to catch you up using a shortcut.

ha i promise 8)

jons showing me the way to the viewpoint so im sure we could all meet up there and wait for each other 8)

just found out work are paying me twice this month :D looks like thats going to be invested in some good forks and some lights :wink:

• Flirting?! You know your the only one for me Nick :wink:
    (Ok I'll shut up now) :lol:

1 it is then! You up for that Legless? Anyone else?
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Just somehow managed about 22 miles on the South Downs on the Inbred with its lock solid due to the cold rear suspension :wink: It took us 4 hours as I managed to plot a really painful route and there was some mud in Friston and evil wind going east back towards Eastbourne which was a killer. I plotted an escape route near the end and it was down to just me and one other for the last bit of singletrack and I totally blew up on the last hill but as you can see in the elevation pic it was a total git to be at the end of ride!

It does show me that hard tails can still be ridden for more than a mile lol. Could have been better though. Its about 4lbs heavier than my 5" travel Turner due to its DH wheels and big tyres plus the brakes don't work so I just gave up and annhilated the chalky downhills heh which were extra interesting due to my Pikes being in serious need of a service but at least they work better than the Turners forks grr

http://complexdreams.com/pics/bikes/rides/South%20Downs%20271208.jpg
    http://complexdreams.com/pics/bikes/rides/South%20Downs%20271208%20-%20Elevation.jpg

PS: Working 29-31 inclusive :x
  • Hey don't knock the InBred :wink: Despite me constantly saying "i want a full suss" all the time (and am saving for one now) i still really love my InBred. Even when i do eventually get a full suss i will still ride it lots.

Have you not heard of Manitou stuff refered to as Manipoo :wink:
  • breezer
    Oh im not knocking it. Its a perfect bike for what I bought it for which is general hacking around and playing I just prefer my Turner for long XC rides. I have no idea why they sell them so cheap, £100 odd less than most other similar frames, as everyone raves about them and they are permantely out of stock

Yer I took a gamble. Since the Hayes buyout they have been better and my forks were right at the start of the run so I expected niggles. My old Rebas had a non working compression damper from new and my coil Pikes also had issues and I have yet to see a review of recent Marzocchis where they actually worked without serious bearing issues or sinkage on the travel adjust ones. I just cant believe they went away to the importers/warranty centre and came back worse, its stuff like that which ruins companies
  • breezer wrote:
    Oh im not knocking it. Its a perfect bike for what I bought it for which is general hacking around and playing I just prefer my Turner for long XC rides. I have no idea why they sell them so cheap, £100 odd less than most other similar frames, as everyone raves about them and they are permantely out of stock

Yer I took a gamble. Since the Hayes buyout they have been better and my forks were right at the start of the run so I expected niggles. My old Rebas had a non working compression damper from new and my coil Pikes also had issues and I have yet to see a review of recent Marzocchis where they actually worked without serious bearing issues or sinkage on the travel adjust ones. I just cant believe they went away to the importers/warranty centre and came back worse, its stuff like that which ruins companies
    I can't wait to get the Pitch though!

I am surprised your having problems with the Pikes too, don't think i have heard of a single person having problems, and Michael has run his for over two years i think without doing anything to them :shock: You must just be getting all the bad luck :roll: Sounds like a really good idea with those Manitou's though, 100mm of travel adjust is amazing, and you can adjust the travel while riding?

Are you doing Swinley on the 4th? Would be good to meet you at last.
  • breezer
    They are "cheap" bikes for what they offer, should be good!

These dual air u turn Pikes I bought 2nd hand to replace my Coil ones as selling mine and getting these was cheaper than buying a £40 stiffer spring that I needed. Ever since I got them they had a small clunk if u had them anywhere between min and max travel but that doesnt bother me as I leave them at 140 all the time on the Inbred. The bushes are all fine but I think some of the air chamber seals are going. To get them setup even remotely right I have to run half the psi in the -ve chamber else they suck down to short travel, you should have similar pressure in both. To make matters worse, I rode my friends Patriot with the same forks last sunday and they were amazing in comparison. I had to let even more air out of the -ve chamber today but they still sag to 100mm when sat on the bike and then also felt harsh and did bugger all on the downs but cant send them off to be serviced till I get the Turner ones sorted.

Yes the Manitous are a pain. They are 3.8lbs or something which is mega light for 140mm with bolt thru axle. The travel adjust is brilliant. Small lever on the bars which you can see here

http://complexdreams.com/pics/bikes/Turner/inter_010.jpg

Simply push down to lower them (or currently just ride them FFS), then unweight/small wheelie the front whilst pushing it down to extend them back out. I did have 2 photos showing both extremes but cant find them and I just went to take another photo but due to the problems with them, they slide back out to about 100mm now unless you are riding when they go less FFS. Brilliant idea though, you can get up ridiculously steep climbs when you drop them all the way down!

Probably wont be up there on the 4th due to things like 9am, 90 miles, Pikes starting to bug me now, we shall see, could always bring the rigid Breezer out lol
  • breezer
    ah found them (ignore the fact the front caliper is not attached, I had only just fitted the forks and needed a post adapter)

PS: Now is the best time of the year to buy a bike as 08 ones are reduced so keep an eye out for a Pitch. My friend got some £1550 Trek FS this time last year for £1100 from Evans of all places and with basic lights and a £30 Cayete wireless speedo chucked in! although he couldnt keep up with the Inbred on the downhills today :p

http://complexdreams.com/temp/cimg2484.jpg
    http://complexdreams.com/temp/cimg2485.jpg
  • breezer wrote:
    ah found them (ignore the fact the front caliper is not attached, I had only just fitted the forks and needed a post adapter)

PS: Now is the best time of the year to buy a bike as 08 ones are reduced so keep an eye out for a Pitch. My friend got some £1550 Trek FS this time last year for £1100 from Evans of all places and with basic lights and a £30 Cayete wireless speedo chucked in! although he couldnt keep up with the Inbred on the downhills today :p

http://complexdreams.com/temp/cimg2484.jpg
    http://complexdreams.com/temp/cimg2485.jpg
    Ha ha have you ever forgot to extend them again before going downhill, bet that would be interesting. It's bad enough remembering to turn the lock out off on mine! I wish RS did the same thing with the Pikes, it's a pain having to stop to adjust the travel, so i just don't bother changing it :roll:

I can't get a new bike just yet, as i still have to save up the money. I keep buying new bits for the InBred every 5 seconds,got new grips (with gold clamps to match the headset :D) and rear mud guard today :roll:
  • Well there's a new years resolution for you Andy - Save for the Pitch!! (and stop spending most of it on the Inbreed ) :lol:
  • stevet1992

I can't get a new bike just yet, as i still have to save up the money. I keep buying new bits for the InBred every 5 seconds,got new grips (with gold clamps to match the headset :D) and rear mud guard today :roll:

:shock: i really should get a mud guard :roll: mangaed to hit 2 trees (whats the chances) last weekend as i got a face full of mud and ended up temporary blinded

anyways are you coming monday legless? 1 at the lookout/viewpoint

• breezer
    Nope havent forgotten yet. At least the Pikes have the adjustable blow off valve so if you hit something big you are ok
  • breezer
    Just had a look at the Pike service guide. Going to try changing the oil in them. If that doesnt work I will get new air chamber o rings and try changing them. Worse case I send them off for service in bits instead of complete LOL, should get a cheaper charge if so as done half the work for them!

hmm no, I was looking at the std dual air where you just remove the cap and change oil, to do the u turn ones you need a degree in engineering
  • stevet1992
    I give you the ever so slowly improving carrera

PH20081228151258.jpg

all ready for tomorrows ride :twisted: i like to ride prepared :roll: hence the pump and the saddle bag full of puncture repair kits and multitools :lol:

Next thing on the my pony ... (not really a stallion :P ) is forks, i keep telling myself i need new ones :lol:

• It dont look any different!

Ok apart from the tyres..

As your bringing a pump I'll leave mine here, havent really got room for it as I'm bringing my smaller bag this time.

ATTENTION:

Sports Direct.com are closing down, or rather my local store is - (Strood)

I've just been in there and they have some very good riding trainers, over trousers for £20, Karrimor breathable/waterproof jackets for £30 and Karrimor Base layers in all sizes, long and short sleeves - 5.99, aswell as many other brands of base layers, Nike etc, all going very cheap.

Worth a look if your after some good and cheap stuff.
  • stevet1992
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    It dont look any different!

Ok apart from the tyres..

As your bringing a pump I'll leave mine here, havent really got room for it as I'm bringing my smaller bag this time.

look again :wink: new wheels and seatpost :roll: not anything major but still :lol:

naa its alright i will be bringing the pump, multi tool (has preety much everything on it) and enough patches/rubber glue stuff for the whole of the forum 8)

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Breezer its pretty easy to change the oil in the pikes, ive got 454 air u turns and changed the oil in mine. Just undo the 2 alan key bolt on the fork lowers and gently tap them off. Mine however have now been serviced and Pushed by TF tuned, tf tuned customer service is excellent.

Steve - Bike looking sweet, i had some suntour xcm forks and they were shite, i would change them for some Toras or Recons asap!
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Nice work Steve - always a good sense of achievement to finish some upgrades 8)

See you all at 1pm tomorrow!

By the way - photo to follow tomorrow evening but there is a free can of Monster Energy going for anyone who can guess what i rode today :twisted: I was lucky enough to meet a friendly guy who let me take it for a quick spin at Cannock Chase 8)
  • stevet1992
    RussAlf wrote:

Steve - Bike looking sweet, i had some suntour xcm forks and they were shite, i would change them for some Toras or Recons asap!

tell me about it :evil: its like running bloody rigids :shock:

im pissed right now that my forks are 100mm travel :lol: toras with poploc going for £99.99 on merlin :x

opinions on These are aprreciated though :wink: