XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Possibly Nick, will have to say nearer the time.
  • Anyone got any quick tips on fitting a new/used chain, any little tricks I should know?

Muppet here managed to snap his while half way to work this morning :evil:
  • Papa Smurf wrote:
    Anyone got any quick tips on fitting a new/used chain, any little tricks I should know?

Buy a power link and bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt :wink:

Nick wont be able to do that one as i will be at WORK :x
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • McBlip
    McBlip Posts: 36
    pittpony wrote:
    Gents - anyone up for a ride on the 29th December? I'll be travelling from the midlands and will be on the M25 anyway so would be a shame not to stop off at one of our favourite haunts. It wouldn't be a really early one but i can get there late morning.

I think I may be back from a visit to relatives that morning so could possibly be around p.m.

McBlip ...
    The older I get the faster I was ...
  • Papa Smurf wrote:
    Anyone got any quick tips on fitting a new/used chain, any little tricks I should know?

How old? If it is very stretched and to be used with a new-ish cassette it will slip, could also slip on the chainrings too.

I am assuming you haven't fitted a chain before? Basically wrap it around the biggest cog front and back (not through the rear mech) pull it tight, noting the neerest link you could join it togather. Count 2 more links and cut the chain. As Mark said, in his own unique way :wink: get some Power links, even if you have a Shimano chain. So much easier!
  • pittpony wrote:
    Gents - anyone up for a ride on the 29th December? I'll be travelling from the midlands and will be on the M25 anyway so would be a shame not to stop off at one of our favourite haunts. It wouldn't be a really early one but i can get there late morning.
    Sorry mate, i'm working too :cry:
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Personally i run 35 up front and 37-38 on the rear, but remember i do run tubeless tyres so can get away with less.

would go less but i am big boned dont you know :wink:

Oh BTW any one want to buy a 2 ride old 08 Stumpy Pro Frame?? :D

you got any pics ? and whats the framesize ?

we are on about a specialized stuntjumpers right :roll: im not good with abbreviatons :wink:

what kind of cash we talking here aswell 50p :twisted: na but seriously how much :P
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    Hello guys...

I'm on a long run of nights so i'm about during the day from now to the end of January so would be up for riding BBH or Bedgebury.

I am hoping to get to Wales over Xmas break to so lt me know if you.re interested.

My fitness level is not great but should pick up now i've time to ride again,

I have picked up some lights too so evenings are a go as well.

How come you are selling your bike Mark? I assume you are still riding...

Cheers
  • Papa Smurf wrote:

How old? If it is very stretched and to be used with a new-ish cassette it will slip, could also slip on the chainrings too.

I am assuming you haven't fitted a chain before? Basically wrap it around the biggest cog front and back (not through the rear mech) pull it tight, noting the neerest link you could join it togather. Count 2 more links and cut the chain. As Mark said, in his own unique way :wink: get some Power links, even if you have a Shimano chain. So much easier!
    Well I can either fit my old chain, which isnt great but will do.. Quite worn though, but then again so is my current chainset so shouldnt be too much of a difference. Or I can put the current one back on. It looks fine, tis just missing a pin. I don't know whether to buy a pin and hope for the best or is a new chain required?
    What do power links do? Are they easy fit extensions or something?
  • mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    The power link is a god send...

I don't know how to add a link but copy and paste this to your address bar.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/pr ... p=0&gclid=

Any bike shop should sell them
  • RussAlf
    See Andy i told you i would put mudguards on my bike
    DSC00163-vi.jpg

Check out my "Bling"
    DSC00162-vi.jpg
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    edited December 2008
    stevet1992 wrote:
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Oh BTW any one want to buy a 2 ride old 08 Stumpy Pro Frame?? :D

you got any pics ? and whats the framesize ?

we are on about a specialized stuntjumpers right :roll: im not good with abbreviatons :wink:

what kind of cash we talking here aswell 50p :twisted: na but seriously how much :P

Yep to give its full name shes a Specialized Stumpjumper pro 08 frame (nearly new) 2 rides old warrenty replacement. Pm me if you are interested. heres a pic of the old frame but new one is exactly the same but with more copter tape.
    pbpic2461886.jpg

MBNUT yeah i am still riding but have decided to get another frame as the wife has given the go ahead (by go ahead i mean she said "aaww do what you want :) ") and i am expecting some bikeshop vouchers for xmas.

Love the Bling Bling Russ :wink: and we all thought Andys seat was high...

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • RussAlf
    Morning Mark
  • Morning Russ,
    been reading about commie and there customer service and it all looks positive so dont think you have any worries, was a bit Fresh cycling in today ( i had summer gloves on) i can just about move my thumbs now. everyone else is prob still asleep.

• RussAlf
    Yeah i had a read up on the customer service to and it all seems ok, going by there warranty term and conditions on there site they seem very strict but from reading on the forums this isint the case. Just hope they would hurry up! cant stand being without a bike. It took my hands a while to recover last night riding into work with just summer gloves on.
  • stevet1992
    Good to see im not the only one up this early :lol:

about that ride on the 29th depending on how much overtime i can get at work and where it is, it would be great to tag along and meet some of you guys 8)

• RussAlf
    Ive been up far to early, infact ive not even got up as im yet to go to sleep :cry:
  • McBlip
    McBlip Posts: 36
    stevet1992 wrote:
    Good to see im not the only one up this early :lol:

about that ride on the 29th depending on how much overtime i can get at work and where it is, it would be great to tag along and meet some of you guys 8)

Found out the S.P. - I am back from relatives on the 29th (into Kent) by 1pm on that day, so if it's p.m. I'm good with that. Otherwise can do some other dates - will keep looking in .

McBlip ...
    The older I get the faster I was ...
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    deadpool2e wrote:

Yep to give its full name shes a Specialized Stumpjumper pro 08 frame (nearly new) 2 rides old warrenty replacement. Pm me if you are interested. heres a pic of the old frame but new one is exactly the same but with more copter tape.
    pbpic2461886.jpg

Oh if only I had some money....... :(

You dont offer the Cycle to Work Scheme and 0% Finance for 10 years do you??? :lol:
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Bmjboy wrote:
    deadpool2e wrote:

pbpic2461886.jpg

Oh if only I had some money....... :(

You dont offer the Cycle to Work Scheme and 0% Finance for 10 years do you??? :lol:

No sorry mate :D:D

• stevet1992
    sorry again mark about wasting your time :shock:

maybe if ya still have it at a few months :wink: increase working hours soon = more pay = BIKE SHOPPING 8)
    lucky to have something like that :(

say I if you too are pissed off at the forecast for tomorrow :roll: was hoping that i would get a ride in after work that didnt end up in a mud fight with the bike :twisted:

• Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Mud fights are the best bit aren't they? It looks windy, rightly or wrongly I will be biking instead of kiting...
  • RussAlf
    Legless wrote:
    Mud fights are the best bit aren't they? It looks windy, rightly or wrongly I will be biking instead of kiting...

Tut Tut Rou, 7m hangtime session tomorrow.
  • Legless
    Mmmm it is looking windy, meant to be 10 foot waves round here too, maybe I will kite and bike...
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Eugh - I can only hear the weather outside and it already sounds conducive to an afternoon indors :s I'm not quite sure when i became such a wuss!

Rou if you kite AND bike you're a much braver man than me!!
  • Legless
    Kiting is out the window, temp is around 2 degrees, factor in windchill and thats at least minus 10 in the sea, F*ck that! Will bike though, got a friend coming with a new bike so going to christen it at Blean this arvo.

it does look like a day to spend at the movies though, or in bed... Looks better tomorrow and no more rain next week.

Plus I have probably recovered enough from Wednesday to be tempted back out on Wednesday evening!
  • Re: My chain. It's already got a powerlink in it and that's still done up, but I'm missing just one tiny little pin. £1.50 for a new pin seems abit much too..

Any ideas?
  • Don't be afraid of a little wind and rain...! I chose to commute in today and it was a trifle er, 'uncomfortable' to say the least. Horizontal rain really piSSes me off! Oh well, it all adds to the fitness and time on the bike. Lets hope the journey home is a little better with the wind behind me.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Re: My chain. It's already got a powerlink in it and that's still done up, but I'm missing just one tiny little pin. £1.50 for a new pin seems abit much too..

Any ideas?

Just wedge a twing in there - it'll be fine ;)

I'd say replace the whole link with a second power link. If you try to fix it you'll only have a weak point
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Just been down my LBS to post in my xmas list, getting all new drivetrain (XT crankset!) with cassette and chain, Jagwire gear cables and a new headset.

Family are paying for it, result! :lol:

Needs doing as nothing been replaced since i bought the bike! - not even the chain! :oops:

Crap weather for biking this weekend, so will be mostly thinking about it and fantasy shopping for parts!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet