XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• impished wrote:
    Guys, you never know. One day, if you look very carefully, you might even spot the rare, seldomly seen, Captain Invisible :shock: Sorry, I mean Papa Smurf :wink:

This of course is down the pure fact that I'm as hardcore as they come, cant see me for shit I tell ya! :lol:
    And Ade, watch it... I earnt my nickname 'The Ripper' for a reason :twisted:
    pittpony wrote:
    For what its worth i'm moderately slow downhill and pretty fast uphill
    - Somewhat true, but then again I've never seen you ride the Trance, and it's not that your slow, you just fall off alot :P
    - This is not true, the correct wording for this would be exactly this:
    "Uphill to me is like Downhill to Steve Peat, I start at the bottom, and before I've blinked I'm at the next hill 2 miles down the road, the fact I have 3 rockets strapped to my bike and a further 2 somewhere very private is also a factor, however with my bionic legs, I need not use them for anything other than warmth"

And then of course there's Andy...
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    sorry i havent been commenting much keep getting page load errors on here :? and its only this site for some reason :lol:

as you may have read(is that right :shock: ) im looking to branch out more to 4x penshurst has got my addicted, so looks like after christmas its going to be ouch time on my wallet :twisted:

Do sites like evans often have good sales after christmas ? :roll:

dont worry though guys ill still be doing XC :wink:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • McBlip wrote:
    Cheers chaps - the reason behind the "hardcore" was what I suspected following a return email after an enquiry to Kent Trails via the website (see below). Are you peeps on here part of the same or have I seriously got hold of the very wrong end of the stick ?

Confused McBlip of Bearsted :?

Andrew, from your email:' I have "dabbled" a bit over the years but in all honesty am still a novice rider. I haven't been in the saddle for a few years now' it did seem you haven't been in the saddle for quite a while. I just want to avoid you to have a very bad time on your bike for 2 hours. Unfortunately, I get lots of messages similar to yours every week. Many people have still insisted in coming along an most could not keep up. I believe this is the most difficult time of the year to start riding as the conditions in the woods are very wet, muddy and slippery (we had a guy turning up with slicks last winter!). As someone mentioned, the group is quite big at the moment, and it's not fair on you to make you keep up with the rest of the group. I don't see the point of letting you come along from Maidstone if from your description you are going going to keep up. There is nothing pretentious about it - we are definitively not the fastest group (or hardcore as you describe it) in the area and are not pretending to be - From experience, the saturday rides are not adapted to novice riders. Still, you are welcome to join us whenever you want.

Michael, www.kent-trails.co.uk

Was thinking maybe swinley?? i will bring my GPS
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • McBlip
    McBlip Posts: 36
    was nothing derogitary or judgemental in my postings Michael, initially I thought this Kent thread at BR was part of the same as Kent trails! I am trying to get a handle on the standard of group rides locally. I agree with your reply which is why I am booked in on the course in Wales early Feb. Everyone here as well as yourself has given me good honest advice - cheers chaps. I went out with a local guy at the weekend for almost 3 x hours from Maidstone through to Wateringbury and back. I was pretty well spent when I got home but had a great time. In view of that I am no way ready to tag on yet but am working towards it. I am going over to Bedgebury at the weekend for a cruise round to wake up my heart and lungs - the bug is biting. Thanks for the additional info, hope to catch up sometime soon

McBlip (ANDREW) ...

McBlip wrote:
    Cheers chaps - the reason behind the "hardcore" was what I suspected following a return email after an enquiry to Kent Trails via the website (see below). Are you peeps on here part of the same or have I seriously got hold of the very wrong end of the stick ?

Confused McBlip of Bearsted :?

Andrew, from your email:' I have "dabbled" a bit over the years but in all honesty am still a novice rider. I haven't been in the saddle for a few years now' it did seem you haven't been in the saddle for quite a while. I just want to avoid you to have a very bad time on your bike for 2 hours. Unfortunately, I get lots of messages similar to yours every week. Many people have still insisted in coming along an most could not keep up. I believe this is the most difficult time of the year to start riding as the conditions in the woods are very wet, muddy and slippery (we had a guy turning up with slicks last winter!). As someone mentioned, the group is quite big at the moment, and it's not fair on you to make you keep up with the rest of the group. I don't see the point of letting you come along from Maidstone if from your description you are going going to keep up. There is nothing pretentious about it - we are definitively not the fastest group (or hardcore as you describe it) in the area and are not pretending to be - From experience, the saturday rides are not adapted to novice riders. Still, you are welcome to join us whenever you want.

Michael, www.kent-trails.co.uk
    The older I get the faster I was ...
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: 200 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: mutha f**ker :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • stevet1992
    RussAlf wrote:
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: 200 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: mutha f**ker :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

bit late werent we :wink:

maybe you will get 300 :lol:

• RussAlf
    impished wrote:
    OK, I promise to stop the whoreing now. :oops: I'm finally bored and don't want the bloody 200th page now. You can keep it.

:cry::cry::cry:

F**king Loser, who would want to get the 200th post

:cry: I had the 100th so ill let you have it.
  • RussAlf
    stevet1992 wrote:
    sorry i havent been commenting much keep getting page load errors on here :? and its only this site for some reason :lol:

as you may have read(is that right :shock: ) im looking to branch out more to 4x penshurst has got my addicted, so looks like after christmas its going to be ouch time on my wallet :twisted:

Do sites like evans often have good sales after christmas ? :roll:

dont worry though guys ill still be doing XC :wink:

I saw your post about getting into 4x and your bike. I would seriously save all your money and buy a whole new bike, it is not worth the money upgrading your current one. This is talking from expereicne, i wasted alot of money upgrading one of my old bikes when i should have just bought a whole better bike.
  • RussAlf
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Guys anyone up for a ride on Sunday (have car will travel) But im not coming to Blean :D

Yeah ill come, ill bring my other bike. Dont worry its easy to transport and ill still be waiting for you at the bottom :D
  • stevet1992
    yeh i had a feeling that would be better :(

cheers for the advice

currently looking at

GT Chucker

with maybe some DJ 2's

then single speed it

it shall be my play toy :twisted:

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I can't do Sunday Mark :(

Still on for Saturday if anyone is up for it, otherwise i'll try and meet up with Kent Trails again :)
  • RussAlf wrote:
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Guys anyone up for a ride on Sunday (have car will travel) But im not coming to Blean :D

Yeah ill come, ill bring my other bike. Dont worry its easy to transport and ill still be waiting for you at the bottom :D

Bring it on Fold up Boy :wink:
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • stevet1992
    deadpool2e wrote:

Bring it on Fold up Boy :wink:

This wont end well :shock:

• Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Who is up for a ride tomorrow then, Blean 6.45 wasn't it... I really hope my car gets back from it's MOT so I can drive my lazy arse to the woods...
  • pittpony wrote:
    I can't do Sunday Mark :(

Still on for Saturday if anyone is up for it, otherwise i'll try and meet up with Kent Trails again :)
    As it's looking like it is just the 2 of us on Saturday, shall we both do the kent trails ride? I really enjoyed it last week as all the trails we did were easily rideable, and from what others have said lately bbh is a swamp!
    I can't wait for tomorrows ride! I now have all new chainrings, chain and cassette, and i love my bike again!

Russ- lol, am i getting the impression your a little soure about the 200th:) what news on your frame?
  • Legless
    200? It is all about 202 these days...

Take it you are in then Andy! Think Nick is game, Impished?
  • deadpool2e wrote:

Sorry mate i have to work Sunday now. As Ben said earlyer we have to try and arrange a ride ALL of up can attend. Shall we start throwing dates around and see who is free when?

Russ, i would pay real money to see you ride Swinley on your fold up:)
  • pittpony
    Rou - definitely still on for tonight. I think Ade said he'd be there too but maybe since claiming "the big 200" the fame has gone to his head and he's searching for new challenges... :lol:

Andy - agreed, lets ride with Kent Trails on Saturday. Seeing as i'm out on Friday night i was going to request a late start anyway! Hope you have your bike sorted now - you've had more drivetrains on that thing than i've had hot dinners!

Now, which bike to bring tonight... I fancy the trance but (and i await a barrage of abuse here) - its nice and clean whereas the XTC is already filthy from last week :oops:
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    McBlip wrote:
    I agree with your reply which is why I am booked in on the course in Wales early Feb.

Can I be bold and suggest that doing a course will not advance you more greatly than just simply getting out there and riding? (Many may disagree with me here)

Dont get me wrong, Im sure they are great and let you tackle certain trail features in a regimented manner, but I feel there is no substitute for time on the saddle and getting that fitness up.

As an age old expression which is muttered almost daily over these forums is "Get out and ride"

I simply did just that, got out twice a week around Bluebell Hill and Bedgebury, and after a few months, I hit Afan and nailed the black run on Whites without losing a limb!.

You will find for that your fitness will let you down before your skills (for me anyway) at these early stages.
    When I was in Wales, I had terrible arm and hand fatigue due to the immense downhills :twisted: Something I shouldve considered when training (more push ups required!!)

You'll find with time you'll get faster and more confident (untill like me you slide out on one of those pesky wooden bridges at Bedge! :x ) With this confidence you'll learn how to adapt to certain conditions and trail features, and also learn by your mistakes.

If you're keen (you clearly are) then you'll get up to speed in no time.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • RussAlf
    deadpool2e wrote:

Sorry mate i have to work Sunday now. As Ben said earlyer we have to try and arrange a ride ALL of up can attend. Shall we start throwing dates around and see who is free when?

Russ, i would pay real money to see you ride Swinley on your fold up:)

Just buying some 20inch mud tyres.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    RussAlf wrote:
    Just buying some 20inch mud tyres.
    Wow :shock: Looking good Russ :wink:
    folder.jpg
    Just noticed; the seat post is almost as long as Andy's :lol:
  • RussAlf
    Sent the frame off to Merlin on Monday, had an email yesterday confirming they had received it and they have sent pictures off to Commencal of the crack.
  • Legless
    Hopefully they will put a new frame in the post...

Nick got the car back do you want a lift? I know you probably aren't as lazy as me... Thought i would offer, have bike rack will travel...
  • stevet1992
    Bmjboy wrote:
    McBlip wrote:
    I agree with your reply which is why I am booked in on the course in Wales early Feb.

Can I be bold and suggest that doing a course will not advance you more greatly than just simply getting out there and riding? (Many may disagree with me here)

Dont get me wrong, Im sure they are great and let you tackle certain trail features in a regimented manner, but I feel there is no substitute for time on the saddle and getting that fitness up.

As an age old expression which is muttered almost daily over these forums is "Get out and ride"

I simply did just that, got out twice a week around Bluebell Hill and Bedgebury, and after a few months, I hit Afan and nailed the black run on Whites without losing a limb!.

You will find for that your fitness will let you down before your skills (for me anyway) at these early stages.
    When I was in Wales, I had terrible arm and hand fatigue due to the immense downhills :twisted: Something I shouldve considered when training (more push ups required!!)

You'll find with time you'll get faster and more confident (untill like me you slide out on one of those pesky wooden bridges at Bedge! :x ) With this confidence you'll learn how to adapt to certain conditions and trail features, and also learn by your mistakes.

If you're keen (you clearly are) then you'll get up to speed in no time.

couldnt agree more with you Bmjboy

Mcblip go for a ride with one of these guys i went out with jon(papa smurf) around BBH and soon learned a thing or two :lol: like how full sussers can be bloody fast :twisted:

• stevet1992 wrote:
    [Mcblip go for a ride with one of these guys i went out with jon(papa smurf) around BBH and soon learned a thing or two :lol:like how full sussers can be bloody fast :twisted:

Like this?
    Real proof that Captain Invisible DOES exist, and does sometimes show human form :shock:
    2008pics476.jpg

I'm with Ben too.. I'd ridden abit of off road, thought I was pretty good at it. Done my first real XC ride with Nick and Ade etc and learned more than I would of by myself. Riding in a group is good too because not only do you pick up knowledge, it encourages you to go faster when your inbetween a few riders, and if the one in front is good, following their lines can benefit you no end!
  • Papa Smurf wrote:
    impished wrote:
    Guys, you never know. One day, if you look very carefully, you might even spot the rare, seldomly seen, Captain Invisible :shock: Sorry, I mean Papa Smurf :wink:

This of course is down the pure fact that I'm as hardcore as they come, cant see me for shoot I tell ya! :lol:
    And Ade, watch it... I earnt my nickname 'The Ripper' for a reason :twisted:
    pittpony wrote:
    For what its worth i'm moderately slow downhill and pretty fast uphill
    - Somewhat true, but then again I've never seen you ride the Trance, and it's not that your slow, you just fall off alot :P
    - This is not true, the correct wording for this would be exactly this:
    "Uphill to me is like Downhill to Steve Peat, I start at the bottom, and before I've blinked I'm at the next hill 2 miles down the road, the fact I have 3 rockets strapped to my bike and a further 2 somewhere very private is also a factor, however with my bionic legs, I need not use them for anything other than warmth"

And then of course there's Andy...
    what are you implying by that last comment?
  • pittpony
    Andy - i think he's implying that you're fast uphill too. I know this to be true as one time you claimed you could see my back wheel from where you were ;) Anyway - enough bravado and into the excuses already - I ran 10K last night and my legs are killing me!

Anyone else want to get any excuses in before tongihts ride? :lol:

Rou - cheers for the offer but i think i'll take a pedal up, it helps get me warm and tonight we're going to need all the help we can get!
  • I'm implying that you have more advanced Bionic legs, capable of pumping out around about 150 revolutions per minute in 21st gear, this of course is a rough guesstimate.. :lol:

I reckon you secretly ride up Boxley hill 10 times a day on time trial, 2 minutes 1st time, 2 mins 10seconds 10th time, no room for too much slacking or letting the routine slip it seems.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    pittpony wrote:
    Anyway - enough bravado and into the excuses already - I ran 10K last night and my legs are killing me!

Anyone else want to get any excuses in before tongihts ride? :lol:
    If you could just remember all my previous excuses and apply them to tonights ride please.
    Maybe we should just stick to the singletrack part next to the carpark :twisted: