XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Guys - I think one or some of you have Avid Juicy brakes here, please can someone shed some light on my little (quite possibly very stupid) problem.....

here...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12598008

Im seriously stuck for answers.....
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    stevet1992 wrote:
    [Mcblip go for a ride with one of these guys i went out with jon(papa smurf) around BBH and soon learned a thing or two :lol:like how full sussers can be bloody fast :twisted:

Like this?
    Real proof that Captain Invisible DOES exist, and does sometimes show human form :shock:
    2008pics476.jpg

strange how it looks like a hologram :shock:

give it time :twisted: i shall soon be as fast as you :roll: and will have to balls to do some technical bits 8)
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • You gotta stop falling off on the simple bits first... :lol:
  • stevet1992
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    You gotta stop falling off on the simple bits first... :lol:

ooo that was a blow down below :lol:

i still blame the brakes yehhhh that was it :wink:

• McBlip
    McBlip Posts: 36
    Bmjboy wrote:
    McBlip wrote:
    I agree with your reply which is why I am booked in on the course in Wales early Feb.

Can I be bold and suggest that doing a course will not advance you more greatly than just simply getting out there and riding? (Many may disagree with me here)

Dont get me wrong, Im sure they are great and let you tackle certain trail features in a regimented manner, but I feel there is no substitute for time on the saddle and getting that fitness up.

As an age old expression which is muttered almost daily over these forums is "Get out and ride"

I simply did just that, got out twice a week around Bluebell Hill and Bedgebury, and after a few months, I hit Afan and nailed the black run on Whites without losing a limb!.

You will find for that your fitness will let you down before your skills (for me anyway) at these early stages.
    When I was in Wales, I had terrible arm and hand fatigue due to the immense downhills :twisted: Something I shouldve considered when training (more push ups required!!)

You'll find with time you'll get faster and more confident (untill like me you slide out on one of those pesky wooden bridges at Bedge! :x ) With this confidence you'll learn how to adapt to certain conditions and trail features, and also learn by your mistakes.

If you're keen (you clearly are) then you'll get up to speed in no time.

Yeah - I'm sure you're right. Have already paid for Wales, it is a "basic" course which probably won't be a bad thing, will be interesting to see how foooked my riding is !!! Can't wait to get out this weekend and I have a group ride at our squash club next weekend.
    I was thinking of getting a decent front light for these long nights, have a couple of battery Cat eye jobs that I used coming home from work but really couldn't see enough ...
    The older I get the faster I was ...
  • Nah it wasnt the brakes.. Must of been that bit of enourmously deadly flat ground with 3 trees per square mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I wish I had the balls to do that kinda stuff :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nah fair do's it wasn't quite a retard stack.. And I stress the quite :lol: :P
  • McBlip
    but really couldn't see enough ...[/quote]

Or was that my belly in the way ???
  • stevet1992
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Nah it wasnt the brakes.. Must of been that bit of enourmously deadly flat ground with 3 trees per square mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I wish I had the balls to do that kinda stuff :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nah fair do's it wasn't quite a retard stack.. And I stress the quite :lol: :P

yeh just a warning to you guys there appears to be some of this deadly flat ground about :roll: makes you fall off and look a complete prat :evil:

• The look a complete prat is not true at all... You managed to do it style! After all, made me laugh so hard I nearly fell off myself..
  • stevet1992
    haha that makes it all the much sweeter 8) falling with style someone should make a guide on that :wink:

• stevet1992
    Fun times though :roll: we shall have to meet up again soon Jon :lol:

• McBlip
    Sorry to drop in a FAQ type thang peeps but it is relevant here, can u give me some idea on tyre pressures for the singletrack at Bedgebury given current conditions? Was gonna try circa 45psi rear and 40 front or am I talking bo**ox (again!) ? I am a lump at 17st (bike is Marin susser)

Cheers McBlip ...

go easy on the fat jokes :wink: ...
  • stevet1992
    I go by the fact that if i turn up with my tyres rock hard i can always let some air out :wink:

Now my question :P anyone know any trust worthy sites for 2nd hand bikes ?

• stevet1992 wrote:
    falling with style someone should make a guide on that :wink:

I nominate YOU :lol:
    Oh, and Nick :lol::lol:
    Perhaps you for style.. Nick on how to make it look bloody painfull!

Cant help you there Blippy.. I knows nothing about tyre pressures (cos I is thick!)
    Same goes for you Stevie boy!
    Shall definately have to meet up again sometime soon. Currently having a few problems which I think may be caused by the bike so no proper rides planned anytime soon, but then after my injury I made up my mind I wasnt going to properly start riding again till next year.

So guys, how did the wives/girlfriends/mates get on with chiseling the ice off you lot??
  • stevet1992
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    stevet1992 wrote:
    falling with style someone should make a guide on that :wink:

I nominate YOU :lol:
    Oh, and Nick :lol::lol:
    Perhaps you for style.. Nick on how to make it look bloody painfull!

Cant help you there Blippy.. I knows nothing about tyre pressures (cos I is thick!)
    Same goes for you Stevie boy!
    Shall definately have to meet up again sometime soon. Currently having a few problems which I think may be caused by the bike so no proper rides planned anytime soon, but then after my injury I made up my mind I wasnt going to properly start riding again till next year.

So guys, how did the wives/girlfriends/mates get on with chiseling the ice off you lot??

we could get a top seller going here nick :lol: gota find some way to pay for the new bike after christmas :twisted:

my excuse for the new bike is that i need something stronger for the likes of putting up with jumps :twisted: as i feel the carrera die a little more after every table/double/drop off

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Lol cheeky gits - I haven't fallen off for ages! There I've said it now - next time i'm doomed!

McBlip - I run at about 35psi. Maybe you'll want a little more if you're a bit heavier but i'm not the most delicate rider and 35 does me OK. Perhaps try 40? I wouldn't worry too much about it though

Good ride tonight guys - covered quite a lot of singletrack and as far as i can recall there were no major incidents. We also managed to avoid any long stops which is why i got sooo cold last time! I felt like i could have stayed out all night but my dinner was calling me :lol: Hope you can make it out again Rou.
  • Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Cheers fellas,

God my heart rate has only just slowed down! I really enjoyed it this evening, just had total energy failure at the end and was losing the will to live, at one point I considered stopping, switching my lights off and waiting for the vampires to come get me! I'm also gonna blame dimming lights as I am sure they were brighter when I started out. OK lame excuse just need to get fitter!

Thanks for hanging about for me, I had one shitty section where i was fiddling with a light and had an off on a root, then about 100 yards later did the exact same thing, you guys wouldn't have noticed though you were long gone!

Great to get out in the elements and can I be the first to say SNOW. At least it looked pretty white in my headlights!

McBlip, dunno how flush you are for cash, but if you want a cheap light set up to see what night riding is all about try the Tesco torches, you need three but at £8 a pop they won't break the bank. My idea was to get some to see if i enjoyed night riding, i very quickly found out i love it and will be saving to invest in something a bit more powerful. But as a starter light you can't go far wrong. At least that is my humble opinion! Check out this thread, loads of info on them zip tied to a proper light mount they are really solid and look alright too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12588492

Now off to collapse into a coma

By the way Andy, I have never seen a mans legs go up and down so quick on a bike!
  • McBlip
    Perhaps try 40? I wouldn't worry too much about it though

thank you Squire ... :)
  • Legless wrote:
    Cheers fellas,

God my heart rate has only just slowed down! I really enjoyed it this evening, just had total energy failure at the end and was losing the will to live, at one point I considered stopping, switching my lights off and waiting for the vampires to come get me! I'm also gonna blame dimming lights as I am sure they were brighter when I started out. OK lame excuse just need to get fitter!

Thanks for hanging about for me, I had one shitty section where i was fiddling with a light and had an off on a root, then about 100 yards later did the exact same thing, you guys wouldn't have noticed though you were long gone!

Great to get out in the elements and can I be the first to say SNOW. At least it looked pretty white in my headlights!

McBlip, dunno how flush you are for cash, but if you want a cheap light set up to see what night riding is all about try the Tesco torches, you need three but at £8 a pop they won't break the bank. My idea was to get some to see if i enjoyed night riding, i very quickly found out i love it and will be saving to invest in something a bit more powerful. But as a starter light you can't go far wrong. At least that is my humble opinion! Check out this thread, loads of info on them zip tied to a proper light mount they are really solid and look alright too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12588492

Now off to collapse into a coma

By the way Andy, I have never seen a mans legs go up and down so quick on a bike!
    lol he you think i spin fast, try following nick up a steep hill:) I usually like to pound as higher gear as i can stand, but in the mud i find it better to spin a very low gear so that if you get bogged down you'll be able to power through it.

Very good ride tonight, i love that bit of singletrack off the black route! Need to put that Trailraker on though. It was a bit cold Jon but it was only my toes that suffered. Must get some decent spd's! Glad you enjoyed it Roe, hope to see you next week.
  • McBlip try about 37 up front 40 on the back. you should find that ok.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    McBlip - Being a big unit myself, and Bedge is like an ice-rink in the wet, I let quite a bit out of mine on the front, as on a few occasions with tyres pumped right up my front wheel slid out and I ended up in the foliage... :shock:

I let some air out and this problem stopped.

Dunno what pressure it was/is but was "squeezable" under the thumb! :lol:

I rarely run my tyres at full pressure now, unless on the road.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • pittpony
    lol he you think i spin fast, try following nick up a steep hill:)

Ha ha that's not the first time i've heard that, no point riding if i'm not going to put the effort in though ;) I'm still buzzing from last night and can't wait to get out again - I have no idea why I enjoyed last night quite so much but i guess thats biking for you :)
    deadpool2e wrote:
    McBlip try about 37 up front 40 on the back. you should find that ok.

Good point Mark - you can get away with a bit less up front. I might drop the front pressure myself as i find it skids out quite a lot, but i guess its always likely to in these conditions. Always a balance between grip, rolling resistance and the chance of pinch flats i suppose!
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Good ride last night guys :P
    Felt really good and could've kept riding for ages, but as Nick, my belly was starting to complain about emptiness :roll:
    Legless wrote:
    I had one shitty section where i was fiddling with a light and had an off on a root, then about 100 yards later did the exact same thing, you guys wouldn't have noticed though you were long gone!
    Good to meet you, at last, Rou. I think I heard you have your off, but I was too busy trying not to have an off to look round. And don't worry about us waiting. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll develop bionic legs and leave me back in my rightfull place, playing catch-up :roll:
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    pittpony wrote:
    Good point Mark - you can get away with a bit less up front. I might drop the front pressure myself as i find it skids out quite a lot, but i guess its always likely to in these conditions. Always a balance between grip, rolling resistance and the chance of pinch flats i suppose!
    It's a very fine line indeed. I've only just managed to get to a happy medium with my front. Had been running slightly too low which causes a real disconcerting squirm when you need it least.
  • I run 40psi front and back and i hardly ever loose the front, except in deep mud of course! Thats the good thing about super sticky compounds, and i dont feel the super tacky at high pressures is any slower rolling than the harder compound. What tires are you running Mc?
  • Personally i run 35 up front and 37-38 on the rear, but remember i do run tubeless tyres so can get away with less.

would go less but i am big boned dont you know :wink:

Oh BTW any one want to buy a 2 ride old 08 Stumpy Pro Frame?? :D
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • McBlip
    I run 40psi front and back and i hardly ever loose the front, except in deep mud of course! Thats the good thing about super sticky compounds, and i dont feel the super tacky at high pressures is any slower rolling than the harder compound. What tires are you running Mc?

WTB prowler 2.1" - I had to have a quick look DUH :P
  • Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    Well i think i have just about recovered! Had nightmares about biking and vampires last night, can't imagine why that was!

Bionic legs will be mine, i think when i ride with the GF we just go fairly leisurely so it is always a bit of a shock when the pace pics up. Average speed last night on my GPS was 6.5 normally it is around the 5 mark as i stop, take in the scenery, go slow up the hills and fix punctures 13.3 miles covered in 2 hours is pretty good though...

Good fun though and great to be out with quicker people so it pushes my level more. Ade i am not surprised you heard my off, it involved a loud tree root stripping my front wheel of grip and me swearing as i slid out on the corner... :lol:

Glad everyone enjoyed it good as ever to see you guys in the flesh, now at least we can get back to the serious business of talking crap about bikes...

Rou
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    I run 30psi front and rear on a full suss, not had a problem with pinch flats but then i weigh about 72kg. When i had a hardtail i ran more as i used to suffer which pinch flats lots.
  • pittpony
    Gents - anyone up for a ride on the 29th December? I'll be travelling from the midlands and will be on the M25 anyway so would be a shame not to stop off at one of our favourite haunts. It wouldn't be a really early one but i can get there late morning.