The Ex-XXL Trophy

Comments

• kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    Anyone fancy a small challenge over the next 30 days, starting from Monday. A twenty minute ride everyday for the next 30 days.
    this is what i planned a few days ago. its now changed.i have been challenged by my boss for the next 100 days to cycle to and from work.if i make it through the 100 days of cycling the boss will give me œ200 to give to any charity.
    so do all the ex xxl members think i am mad to except this?
    by the way its 17 miles there and back
  • B1ondini
    B1ondini Posts: 25
    <font color="blue"><font size="3"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Well done guys - all of you! I used to weigh 17.5 stone (245lbs) and lost 4 stone by dieting alone! Then put 3 back on over the following few years.

Last September, I started changing my eating habits, and commuting to work every day (14 miles round trip).

Initially, by Christmas, I had lost 2.5 stone, but since then my weight has remained stable (at 14 stone) but I am definitely still loosing fat. Yesterday, I got into an old pair of size 30 jeans - and wore them all day, and still managed to keep breathing!!

All I can add scientifically, is that muscle weighs more than fat. It also burns more energy feeding muscles. So, what you can't see on the weighing scales, you will certainly notice in time on your body!

Geep up the good work - I really know how hard it is to stay motivated.</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size3"></font id="blue">

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!

Thanks

SKJ

Ooh Ooh Mr Peevley !
    weight.png
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    The next weigh-in is this week-end.

Ex-XXL weigh-in : 17-18 March
    Update published : Monday 19 March
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I started my weight loss campaign at the beginning of 2006; I weighed 110kg with a 42in waist (actually that was a squeeze but I got in them)
    I rode the Poppybike ride last August at 93kg
    This morning I weighed in at 89kg
    110kg = 242lb
    93kg = 205lb
    89kg = 196lb

BMI has gone down from 34.72 to 28.09

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <b><font color="blue">If you are not part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem</font id="blue"></b>
    50yrs old and Proud of it - 6 inches off the waist
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007

And may you never lay your head down
    Without a hand to hold
    May you never make your bed out in the cold.
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • AngusDe
    AngusDe Posts: 25
    Jings! I'm falling behind! I've still to buy my bike.....

I'm now at the end of week 8 of my "new" commute, 1.2M walk/car, 10M train, and 1.4M walk to/from work. I'm feeling the benefit of all the walking and looking forward to picking up the new bike at the end of the month.

One thing I'm still looking for is a decent wind/water proof cycling jacket, that comes in big sizes, (currently I'm a 50-52" chest...) It bugs me that the manufacturers all seem to have widely different idea as to what XXXXXXL* (*delete Xs as required!) might be.....

Angus
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AngusDe</i>

One thing I'm still looking for is a decent wind/water proof cycling jacket, that comes in big sizes, (currently I'm a 50-52" chest...) It bugs me that the manufacturers all seem to have widely different idea as to what XXXXXXL* (*delete Xs as required!) might be.....
    Angus
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've found that the Altura Nevis 3XL fits a 50-52" chest and is reasonably priced at around œ43. It also works [:)]
  • AngusDe
    AngusDe Posts: 25
    Vernon, thanks for that.

Another question for us "big" types. In the past when I was a<i> bit </i>smaller, I still managed to get through spokes/wheels at a alarming rate, until I spent a small fortune on hand made supper strong wheels... I'd give details but it was in Germany in 1986, lol!... Although it was a Peugeot touring bike and the new wheels cost as much as the bike, circa œ300 each for frame/wheels, but I never broke a spoke for years thereafter...

Currently, my LBS's keep telling me there's no such need, but I'm not so sure, any thoughts and observations? The budget is tight at the moment and I'm wondering if I need to keep some cash back just in case?

Angus
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AngusDe</i>

Vernon, thanks for that.

Another question for us "big" types. In the past when I was a<i> bit </i>smaller, I still managed to get through spokes/wheels at a alarming rate, until I spent a small fortune on hand made supper strong wheels... I'd give details but it was in Germany in 1986, lol!... Although it was a Peugeot touring bike and the new wheels cost as much as the bike, circa œ300 each for frame/wheels, but I never broke a spoke for years thereafter...

Currently, my LBS's keep telling me there's no such need, but I'm not so sure, any thoughts and observations? The budget is tight at the moment and I'm wondering if I need to keep some cash back just in case?

Angus

I used to get through a lot of spokes/retruings on my bikes until:

a) I locktited the nipples on the roadbike which still has the original rims but a complete replacement set of rear spokes. I used to have problems with nipples unwinding. Only one retruing in the past 18 months.

b) I had the wheels for my Dawes Galaxy built using Deore 36 hole hubs, 13g plain gauge spokes and Mavic 319 rims. Only one retruing needed in the past 18 months after a John O'Groats to Land's End unsupported camping tour and around 25-30 x 100km Audax rides.

I'll not be seeking lighter wheels when I lose weight [:D]
  • kev2b3
    Last year i bought a pair of Mavic Aksium Wheels from ebay which cost me œ80.00. Although they are not rated as racing wheels they have stayed true under my 19 stone.
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    I've not changed my wheels from my Spesh Tricross '07 I bought last year. I've only done 150 miles (very poor show), but I've had no problems at all and do often ride over very poor quality roads. I'm 22.5 stone btw.

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • mr_hippo
    Update - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/ ... 190307.gif

Some of us have lost weight, some gained and others have not moved! All of our bodies react differently so there is no need to be alarmed. My excuse is that I'm building up my muscles first before losing the fat, muscles weigh more than fat but I think Mrs. Hippo is feeding me too much!

When I worked in Saudi Arabia and done the one and only Trans-Arabian ride, I needed a good set of wheels, my wheel-builder made me a front 36 hole Mavic MA 40 front and a 40 hole Mavic tandem rear. I did have with me a truing stand and a 'Wheel building for numpties' book and I need that a few weeks later when my cycling companion told me that he had been to Jeddah at the weekend and had bought a set of wheels - could I fix them for him; he then presented me with two hubs, two rims and 72 spokes!

Ex-XXL weigh-in : 31 March/ 1 April
    Update published : Monday 2 April
  • tentonnehammer
    tentonnehammer Posts: 2,805
    Well done urrrrs for some good work in the past fortnight to shift that much - keep going mate.
    Thanks also to mr hippo for his effort to compile the results.
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    Mr Hippo

A name can do alot of damage. I think you should change your name because then you'll think like a slim person. Maybe Mr Stick???

*** Why has my rear wheel just overtaken me..? ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • mr_hippo
    DLB, there are some things that cannot be changed! The Thais give their children a formal name and a nickname. If you were born with a round, pinkish face then you may be given the nickname 'Moo' which means 'pig'. If your dad went out for a beer to celebrate, you may be called 'Beer'. When a Westerner is accepted into Thai society, he normally gets a nickname. My wife, Goy (little finger), or to give her her formal name - Chollada - nicknamed me 'Hippo' and I have been 'Hippo' ever since. According to Goy, hippos are cute, lovely but they have big mouths! Friends & family know me as 'Hippo', even my grandchildren call me 'Granddad Hippo' so it looks like I'm stuck with it!

• DLB
    Ok mate. No offence ment.

good job with organising all of this.

• mr_hippo
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

Ok mate. No offence ment.
    And none taken. You can't offend us hippos!

• DLB
    LOL LOL

• srw647
    srw647 Posts: 135
    Success!

Just wanted to share that for the first time in God knows how long I weighed in this morning at under 17 stone -- only 4 ounces under, but its still under.
  • DLB
    when are we checking in again? Been on the scales today and i've lost a few pounds and want to share the news. Think the BBC would be interested??

• mr_hippo
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

when are we checking in again? Been on the scales today and i've lost a few pounds and want to share the news. Think the BBC would be interested??

Please check my signature for next weigh-in

• DLB
    cheers pal

• mr_hippo
    Does anyone have a few boxes of Kleenex Hippo Size Tissues? I need them. My bathroom scales go up to 120kgs (264 lbs) so I have been using the coin-op ones and I am not 100% sure about their accuracy. I went to Tescos a few days ago and in their sports department, they had one that goes up to 130kgs and I weighed 120 kgs - 264 lbs which is a loss of 18lbs in a week! We were at a different mall today and I bought digital scales and I am now back to my pre-Christmas weight or just above at 301.4lbs - now can you see why I need the tissues?
    I am running this competition and taking part but even if I finish at the top of the table I cannot, as organizer, win it. If it is alright with fellow members, I will take today's weight as my start weight.

• DLB
    sounds fine to me mate. so long as you measure using the same means each time i don't see a problem.

18lb in a week would be incredible.

• kev2b3
    this forums gone to quiet. whats happened to all that motivation we should be giving each other
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    You are right, I did a 31 miler today, but stopped for Mars and Lucozade half way, so I doubt that did any good. Was pleased with my run though - longest to date and (just) under 2 hours.

Not losing the weight I hoped for, I am hoping I'm building up (heavier) muscle quicker than I'm losing the fat.

Any one in the South East ?
  • mr_hippo
    Mars bar and Lucozade - well you do need fuel in your tank! I should get out more, I have found a few nice circuits around here and just before the wet season starts, I plan to go to the ancient capital of Ayutthaya which is about 50 miles away.

I'd like to see photo's of group members. At the moment, I am relying on my mind's eye to picture fellow XXXL members and the only one that I can see is Vernon. This is what I imagine Vernon to look like - no offence intended Vernon - cycling through the Yorkshire Dales on a Dawes, wearing plus fours, tweed jacket with brown leather elbow patches, ginger beard, deerstalker on his head and puffing merrily away on a pipeful of St Bruno. In the summer, no jacket but a waistcoat and a woolly bobble hat. Please tell me that my mind needs glasses!

• Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    I did a 70 miler on Sunday - it did take me 5.5 hours though, not including the 2 cafe stops. Leaving work early and hoping to get 40 in today. It's nice that the clocks have gone forward, you can ride a bit later into the evening without having to bother with lights.

Weight coming off very slowly, 1-2 lbs per week.
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    Done well this week - managed to get on the turbo trainer for at least 30-45 minutes a day during the week and then did a 27 miler on Saturday and a 47 miler on Sunday.

On Sunday, I was trying to do the CTC route around Milton Keynes (in the recent CTC mag) but I think 60 miles was pushing it this early in the year. Was hard work as the wind got up, I was starting to reach my current performance limits and, SWMBO was expecting me back by 4pm as she had to go out so rather than risk annoying her turned for home at 40 miles. (so her fault I bottled it, not mine! [:p])

Had yesterday off and back on the turbo tonight!

Venster - I wouldn't worry about the Mars bar ... I started using an HRM this year and one thing I've found really interesting is the (rough) calorie burn figures it provides. My 27 mile circuit is done at just over 15mph at the moment and I burnt off nearly 2100 calories. OK, I know these are inexact figures, but hopefully you won't feel too bad about a Mars bar when probably burning 2500 calories in the process! [:)]

Cheers,
    Richard.

It's not my fault I'm slow - I'm underpowered for my weight!

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    I'm glad I did have the Mars bar, I wonder if I'd've made it back so comfortably without it. If you want a laugh for calories burnt over a run, check out the calorie counter when you put your stats into gmap.co.uk . It reckons I burnt over 5000 cals for that run !!!