The 2007 Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Comments

• jan_connett
    jan_connett Posts: 579
    Lots of rides this Saturday, I see - you must all have had a brilliant day for it!
    Me? I was doing the monthly grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, vacuuming to earn enough brownie points for my next day out...
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Phil Dyson
    Phil Dyson Posts: 2,553
    I'm out.

Not because I shan't be continuing to do 100-mile rides, but because I can't be bothered with this forum any more. Sorry. Just got back from a very enjoyable holiday (with wife and tandem) in Tuscany, and find all sorts of silly things being perpetrated here.

Sorry to spoil the party. Good luck to all those still in - hopefully will see you out on the road some time. I've removed my ride listing, to reduce clutter for the rest of you.

Would be very pleased to hear from people from time to time - philipmdyson at btinternet dot com

Phil
    Phil
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    Had a bit of a character-building ride today. Started off overcast but dry on leaving Portsmouth, changing to low-cloud/mizzle climbing up to Cheesefoot Head at the top of today's loop. And then it began to rain... My gloves were found wanting, the overshoes eventually succumbed, but by that point I figured I might as well carry on once I realised that my torso was still staying more or less warm, if a little moist.

However, it was one of those rides where I wondered if I was fly-paper for f***wits, as I lost count of the number of drivers who passed me with wholly insufficient clearance. I usually expect two or three to annoy me sufficiently for me to use hand signals not found in the Highway Code [}:)], but today was ridiculous! [:(!]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">You're saying I'm sick, evil and twisted like it's a bad thing...</font id="blue"> [}:)][;)][}:)]</font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • jan_connett
    Well done, Spesh, proud of you!
    Here's hoping you have a better April. And fingers crossed for me for a dry day on Thursday...?
    Cheers
    Jan
  • speshcp
    Cheers. [:)]

It may be dry, but I'd choose a route with as much wind sheltering terrain features as possible. The SW winds on Saturday weren't too bad between Midhurst and Romsey, but I swear they have picked up since then. The 5-mile ride home from work tonight in a generally southerly direction was 6min30sec longer than for last week... [xx(]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">You're saying I'm sick, evil and twisted like it's a bad thing...</font id="blue"> [}:)][;)][}:)]</font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>
    .......... fingers crossed for me for a dry day on Thursday...?
    Jan
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

.........leaving it late again Jan!

<font size="1">"I get a kick out of kids coming up to me and saying, 'Are you Cliff Richard?'"</font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • jan_connett
    Hi Ken
    You checking up on me? [;)]
    Quick and dirty today, I'm afraid: straight up the A38 to Worcester, then A449 to Stafford. They're not bad roads as they run pretty much parallel to the motorway, so don't carry too much heavy traffic (ie lorries), except when the motorways themselves are nose-to-tail.
    Had to go carefully through Wolverhampton, as I had been warned that you can see the end of the world from there!
    I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago, so had to wait for it to sort itself out - took longer than usual this time, so I ran out of weekends.
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>

Hi Ken
    You checking up on me? [;)]Cheers
    Jan
    Yup

didn't want you to drop out at all, let alone so early on[:)]

<font size="1">"I get a kick out of kids coming up to me and saying, 'Are you Cliff Richard?'"</font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • jan_connett
    Spesh - you're worrying about six-and-a-half minutes?!
    I had to take the car to work one day this week. Had to park a mile and a half away, to avoid traffic jams/ paying for parking - and it still took half an hour longer to get home, than when I ride. Back on the bike tomorrow!
    Cheers
    Jan
  • speshcp

Spesh - you're worrying about six-and-a-half minutes?!
    I had to take the car to work one day this week. Had to park a mile and a half away, to avoid traffic jams/ paying for parking - and it still took half an hour longer to get home, than when I ride. Back on the bike tomorrow!
    Cheers
    Jan
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yeah, but when the ride home usually takes around 17 minutes, 6min30sec is a <i>big</i> percentage difference. [;)]

• jan_connett
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">but when the ride home usually takes around 17 minutes, 6min30sec is a big percentage difference.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    OK,OK, I believe you - been trying to take my comment back all weekend - your wind wouldn't let me get to work on Friday - kept trying to blow me back home...
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Hi Guys

I'm new to this thread......Did the White Rose Classic route in N Yorks (plus a bit more) yesterday, and can highly recommend it. Tough but rewarding, taking in Fleet Moss and lots of other climbs. There are still places available if you fancy entering the June 11 event....

cheers

dave
    cheers

Dave
  • jan_connett
    Right, this weekend it is! Back pain or no back pain....
    Jan
  • jan_connett
    I will not leave it until the last minute next month.
    I will not leave it until the last minute next month....
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    Glad to see, Jan.

The route looks like a nice ride-with a train journey thrown in too.

A quality day then?

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Well done Jan!![:)]

Looks like a nice route....did you go the scenic parallel route from Warminster to Salisbury or the A36?

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • jan_connett
    Hi Ken, hi Rob
    It's a nice route, as you say, and is one of my old motorcycle rides, so has good memories, too. I did stick to the A36 as I haven't got good maps of the Salisbury plain, but I set off from home at 7.00, so the roads were nice and quiet.
    I was in a bit of a hurry because I was trying to get to see my sister in Chandler's Ford (her birthday!) so didn't have much time for exploring. Will have to invest in some maps and take a bit more time in future.
    Thanks for your encouragement
    Cheers
    Jan
  • jan_connett
    Very glad to see that I wasn't the only one doing a last-minuter, Ken!
    Although I have to say that yours looked pretty fabulous. How was the weather? I did see the snowdrifts, but no cyclists in duffle coats.
    Next month ride is planned for the 10th, so I won't be the last in!
    Cheers
    Jan
  • 1x1
    1x1 Posts: 506
    Well done on all the last-minute May rides! I was wondering if it was going to start getting lonely in the Century a Month Challenge!
    Jan, it looks like you came through my neck of the woods on your ride? Nice descent into Nailsworth, Stroud, then long steady climb over through Painswick to Cheltenham, then another over Cleeve hill? I like riding that route!
  • Ken Night
    I had planned to do my Century before going to France, so I could do the shorter Cyclosportif at 130k (80m) but didn't. So had to change my entry for the 180k-I was worried French officialdom might prove my undoing-but they couldn't have been more helpful

The weather for the Cyclosportif was fresh in the morning (needed armwarmers kind of fresh) and hot in the afternoon

What really impressed me, was descending from one of the cols, approaching a crossroads at pace, to have a marshalling lady in hi vis jump out into the middle of the road and stop the traffic that otherwise would have had the right of way

Not all the pics were of the sportif-some were of day rides earlier, and Alpe D'Huez

I'll try to get this month in earlier, which will probably be round Exmoor, and back home

<font size="1">"He who laughs, lasts"</font id="size1">
  • jan_connett
    Hi 1x1
    Yep - Nailsworth is part of the homerun! We have friends and family in the area so ride it quite often. Also used to work as a production engineer for Renishaw, before they opened their Woodchester factory.
    Are you doing Russel's ride on the 10th?
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Darn it, I knew i'd forgotten something last month [:(].
    Good luck to you all for the rest of the year.

Ride on
    Ride on
  • 1x1
    1x1 Posts: 506

Hi 1x1
    Are you doing Russel's ride on the 10th?
    Cheers
    Jan

Unfortunately, no. I've used up my weekend cycling allowance for this month already!
  • jan_connett
    Whoo-hoo - a century before the last day of the month!!
    Another fabulous one to add to my (limited) collection - it makes two for this year, though, which is not bad. Discovered countryside in the West Midlands that I didn't know existed, under Russell's excellent guidance. A really brilliant, hot sunny day, with lots of short climbs and fun descents. Felt very sorry for Nath on his fixie, who didn't get to do the downhill free-wheeling.
    Dappled sunlight as we whizzed through the woods; pretty villages and good company.
    Oh, and England won their first match. Where were you?!
    Cheers
    Jan
  • delfy
    delfy Posts: 10
    Where were you? I was doing the Double Century in Hampshire. It was HOT, but there was plenty of food and drink at the checks.There were a lot of non-starters but in my opinion they missed a good ride.The distance is long enough to be challenge but not so far to be a drag.
    I only did my first hundred mile ride of this year in May, even though I ride most weekends and go out a few times during the week.
    I was impressed by the countryside which is difficult to appreciate when it is so hot.
    This ride was advertised in C+ 181 in March, but most of the riders seemed to be dedicated audax riders, with a few interlopers like me visiting for the weekend.In the U.S,double century rides are very popular.So where were you?

P.S LEICESTER CTC 200km Sunday4th June (with my 13 year old son)
    Denmead 200 miles Saturday 10th June.
  • jan_connett
    Congrats Delfy!
    Sounds like it was a good day - definitely some good countrside in Hampshire.
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248
    This thread seems to have gone a bit quiet recently. How are people getting on? Too busy out riding to post?

I've had a good few months - a very laid back Castle Ride in Kent (my first time in Kent!), the Dragon Ride and then the Dun Run. This month is looking a bit of a nightmare though - I submit a Masters thesis on the 1st September, and at the moment I'm either working or sleeping. Christ knows how I'm going to find the time to fit a century ride in...
  • Have you done it Jokull? (The thesis and the ride!)
    Best of luck
    Jan
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248

Have you done it Jokull? (The thesis and the ride!)
    Best of luck
    Jan
    Yes![:D]

First draft of the Thesis was finished on Friday, so I'm just editing this week, and I took Sunday off to do the century. I rode out to the north end of the Chilterns and then went up and down the escarpment a few times to get in some hills (past Whipsnade Zoo and Ivinghoe Beacon).

Thanks
    Phil
  • Hi Jokull
    I went past/around the Chilterns yesterday. My aunt had said that Whipsnade Zoo was between Thame and Dunstable, but I couldn't find it on the map, so I ended up going via Aylesbury and skirting around Leighton Buzzard instead.
    Well done for finishing your draft - and good luck with the editing.
    Cheers
    Jan