The 2007 Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Comments

• n/a111
    n/a111 Posts: 4,679
    OTOH Manotea and I had a great ride on Christmas Eve. We did the Anorak's Delight 200 perm and it was a very pleasant day. We started early so we finished comfortably in daylight.

Some of the most worthwhile rides are those you grasp from the jaws of winter [:)]
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

\'Ce gars l… a des jambes de pro : en acier en montant, en caoutchouc en descendant\'
  • pbp3975
    pbp3975 Posts: 420
    Fixed Phil said,

"It was damp, yes, but not too cold."

That must be down to your speed old chap. I thought it was perishing cold, the type that creeps into one's bones making it hard to warm up again.

Spare a thought for 1x1, dropping his stuff in a turd [:0]. It's a true test of character to overcome THAT!!
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    It was grim; but is anyone not very pleased that they did it?

<font size="1">You ain't seen me, right?</font id="size1">
  • pbp3975
    pbp3975 Posts: 420
    I'm very happy Martin.

I feel it is quite an achievement to cycle 120 miles in such inclement conditions, whether you are one of the faster riders or one of the slower ones.

It was great to see some of the people again that I have met and ridden with over the past two or three years, and to chat with some new faces.

I look forward to riding it again next year, when it may well be a PBP qualifier--(only next time I won't sling my till receipts in the washing machine :( )
  • The sense of acievement is good and in a very perverse way it was an enjoyable ride. One to look back on when you wish that the evening would come on a very hot summer ride. ;>)
  • mascott
    mascott Posts: 190
    I,m in.... he says from the comfort of a warm front room!!
    See if I can beat Jan & Feb.
  • n/a111
    I think it's great that some of the first posts as soon as the froum came back were on the Century a Month list [:)]

Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

'Ce gars l… a des jambes de pro : en acier en montant, en caoutchouc en descendant'
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

\'Ce gars l… a des jambes de pro : en acier en montant, en caoutchouc en descendant\'
  • I'm staggered at the number of brave people who completed the Poor Student audax: not taking it easy in January with a brisk 100 miler, but a whole 200km.
    I was not so brave, adding a couple of 20 mile loops onto a 100km. It was nice to have some company though and I did my duty, picking up TGFR T-shirt from Robgul. Didn't see Phil and Mrs D on their tandem, although I know they made it through at least the first control.
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Phil Dyson
    Phil Dyson Posts: 2,553
    Hi, Jan. Yes, we were there. Took our time over it, and varied the route a little (called in at Shepherds Patch for coffee and a bacon sarnie, and then went up the towpath to rejoin the route at Frampton). I've never seen our tandem so muddy as after Slimbridge! We saw Rob at Leyhill (and again at the end) - he was just a few minutes ahead of us.

"Marlborough Connection" next - early Feb, starts north of Oxford and goes via Hungerford, Wooton Bassett and Cirencester. A very pleasant route.

Phil
    Phil
  • Hi Phil
    Definitely muddy! I had to wash everything I possess when I got home.

So tell me about this 'varying the route a little': are there rules about following the routecard? I missed the turning in Cromhall so carried on along the main road and rejoined the route on the approach to Tytherington, but I felt very guilty about it even though, if anything, it was slightly longer than the 'real' route. I wasn't sure whether you are meant to follow the routecard to the letter?
    Cheers
    Jan
  • n/a111
    No, as long as you go to the controls in the right order you can vary as much as you like. With one exception, and that is if the organiser has told you at the start that there is a "secret control" on one of the legs. Very, very few organisers use those though.

Thye official route is meant to be the shortest anyway.
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

• Phil Dyson
    I have heard of (but never been on) events that just list the controls, and leave it to the riders. I have seen the words "free route to ....." on a routesheet. As FP says, you can normally vary it as much as you like.

One of the drivers to us going via Shepherds Patch was a disinclination to ride the A38 round Cambridge (though Rob told me it wasn't as bad as we suspected). The boatmen's cafe was a bonus, but not a surprise - we knew it was there.

We had wondered why the official route didn't go that way (I think it was marginally shorter), but concluded that it probably would not have been a good idea to push 150 or so riders up the towpath!

So don't worry about varying an audax route - as long as you visit all the controls within the time limits, all is well. I suggest that you make sure no-one follows you though, unless they know what you are doing.

Phil
    Phil
  • robgul
    robgul Posts: 1,651
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phil Dyson</i>

Hi, ........ I've never seen our tandem so muddy as after Slimbridge! We saw Rob at Leyhill (and again at the end) - he was just a few minutes ahead of us.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Phil - I did a ride in the summer that used the lanes around Slimbridge - they were even muddy then! I think it must be because the land is so low and close to the river that the water-table can only be a few inches below the surface.
    Kind words about "a few minutes behind" .... the last 15km or so from Leyhill was really hard for me - out of condition and pulling too much weight (my own!) along. Nevertheless the event was a great start to the year.

Rob

Rides from Stratford-upon-Avon at www.shakespokes.org.uk - and some cycling miscellanea at www.beewee.co.uk

The Annual MacRide 2006 in aid of Macmillan Cancer Relief will be on Sunday 10 September 2006 - see www.macride.org.uk and help us with our target of 500 riders this year
  • Fiona Neall
    Fiona Neall Posts: 1,887
    I'm afraid I'm going to fail at the first hurdle this year as I set out this morning on the Windcheetah intending to head down to the Fylde and Blackpool but started to get a knee pain (IT bands) which didn't go as I warmed up. As I'm away for work next week, the opportunities for some gentle mileage before a(nother) last minute effort are pretty limited - the knee needs rest and stretches before I can subject it to more cycling otherwise it starts to become an intractable problem.

Oh dear, this is so disappointing when I was hoping to do February's ride on the new bike (otherwise known as a baptism of fire - as my 'bent bike-riding skills are a little lacking at present [:I]). O can only keep my fingers crossed for Sunday 29th [:)]
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Oh no!![:0][:(]

Well I hope your knee clears up in time [:)]

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

Ribble Cycles is the devil in bike shop form!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Hi Fiona
    As Rob says, really hope your knee sorts itself - and that the weather is kind. It would be fairly amazing for you to do Feb onwards on the new bent!
    Good luck!
    Jan
  • Fiona Neall
    Many thanks - I shall be mainlining ibuprofen in preparation as giving up so soon distresses me somewhat [:)]
  • n/a111
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phil Dyson</i>
    One of the drivers to us going via Shepherds Patch was a disinclination to ride the A38 round Cambridge (though Rob told me it wasn't as bad as we suspected). The boatmen's cafe was a bonus, but not a surprise - we knew it was there.

We had wondered why the official route didn't go that way (I think it was marginally shorter), but concluded that it probably would not have been a good idea to push 150 or so riders up the towpath!

It's a control on Dr Foster's Summer Saunter; a really nice relaxed midsummer 200 that uses lots of tracks

Recommended
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

• Phil Dyson
    'Twas on the Winter version, too. That's how I got to know about it.

Saturday was remarkable for one thing in particular. Mrs D was brought up in North Bristol, and most of where we rode was unknown to her. I don't think she had ever seen the S-G Canal before.

Phil
    Phil
  • n/a111
    Yes, I'd fogotten about that. The Winter version is in a week and a bit isn't it ? I'll be there.
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fiona Neall</i>

I'm afraid I'm going to fail at the first hurdle an intractable problem.

You're not alone. I spent most of last year off the bike with a knee poblem, have been on the bike regularly since end of Nov, but today had it confirmed I'll be having an arthroscopy to trim the meniscus on.... 27 Feb. Even if I do Jan & Feb, not sure I'll be ok for March :-(

Feeling sorry for myself... I think I'll go and look for a new bike to buy.
  • Fiona Neall
    Good luck with the arthroscopy Michaelm. But you should be OK for March if it's a simple trim and you follow the physio's instructions for rehab. I've had 3 knee arthroscopies (2 left, 1 right), the last for removal of a sizeable chunk of meniscus (presented to me in a vial of saline fluid [8)]) and have been on the bike in days (gently at first, of course) and back in full swing inside 3 weeks, so there's hope for you yet [:)]
  • skinnycp
    skinnycp Posts: 111
    Well that's my January 100 done - another of my trademark ride-round-the-block-for-the-last-half-mile-to-make-up-the-distance centuries [:I]

Fantastic weather, which makes up for the attempted century, aborted after 88 miles due to the snow, a fortnight ago (I'm not as hardcore as the Audax boys).

Anybody else out swelling the ranks of the register this weekend?

Duct tape is like a force: it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the Universe together...
    Duct tape is like a force: it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the Universe together...
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    Got my first mint imperial of the year out the way today, an out-and-back between Portsmouth and Brighton. I think the operative word is "ouch!"

Nice day for it though.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">If you don't like what you see here,
    Get the funk out...</font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • Well done Skinny and Spesh!
    How's the collarbone, now, Skinny?
    Cheers
    Jan
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    Thanks Jan! [:)]

There seemed to be more false flats than I remembered from the last time I did that route, and the wind was multi-directional as well.

I also need to get the in-ride feeding dialed-in, which might have explained the heavy legs and mini-bonk with 80 miles gone! [:I][xx(][:I]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">If you don't like what you see here,
    Get the funk out...</font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • I've done loads of KM's this month both on road and off it, but not the full 100 at one go yet and times running out[:(]

At least the weather looks favourable for my first one this Sunday morning around the roads between Liverpool, Preston and Southport.

Ride first work later,
    much much later
  • skinnycp
    skinnycp Posts: 111
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>

Well done Skinny and Spesh!
    How's the collarbone, now, Skinny?
    Cheers
    Jan

Absolutely fine, I think. It has healed with the bones slightly overlapped so it will never be perfect, but it doesn't give me any grief even after full days on the MTB (or 100 mile road rides for that matter).

• Thats Jan done. Bit of a muddle with routeplanner and the milage so not a really logical route. 100 miles not as bad as I seem to remember from 2 years back - though I was well armed with my new Camelback HAWG with plenty of food &liquid (and flask of chocolate). Shoulders are a bit sore now though!

The section from Braco to Dalginross is nice and has the illusion of being in the Highlands with the hills around, especially enjoyed that bit.

Not a bad day out at all.
  • It's this weekend or never now (2 posts above)

7am start with lights in the morning as my SO wants to get to ASDA by 12[B)]

Ride first work later,
    much much later