The 2007 Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    I haven't been on the stretch of A3072 between Bow and Lamerton Cross for about 8 years and looking at the map when I got home discovered I'd missed two easier routes...the one you describe from Jacobsowe and the even easier one on the B3217 south from Exbourne ....one for next time, I think.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.
    -
    Only thirty shopping days until another Scottoiler thread!!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Sallnow</i>

I the even easier one on the B3217 south from Exbourne ....one for next time, I think.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I hadn't seen this either

<font size="1">"He who laughs, lasts"</font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Hi Ken
    You're in already?! Congrats!
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">œ7.80 for three coffees at J24 services<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I trust you were riding down the outside lane [;)]
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>

Hi Ken
    You're in already?! Congrats!
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">œ7.80 for three coffees at J24 services<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I trust you were riding down the outside lane [;)]
    Cheers
    Jan

It's the nearest I've got in the Challenge to doing a flat 100-the last couple of miles from N Petherton, were anyway. The rest was the usual lumpy affair

I must do a flat 100 in 2007
    I must do a flat 100..........

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Rob Sallnow
    Whilst we are still waiting for five riders to finish this year's challenge (good luck guys and gal!!) I'm announcing the Fourth Annual Century A Month Challenge which starts on Monday[:p]

I think I'll tweak this thread so its the 2007 Century A Month chat thread.[:)]

-
  • i'll give it a go next year, hoping to get 12 on fixed this time.
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Sallnow</i>

I think I'll tweak this thread so its the 2007 Century A Month chat thread.[:)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rob, how about winding this thread up and starting a new one - along with a new 2007 ride thread?

Whatever I'll be giving it a go. [B)][:)]

<b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Whilst we are still waiting for five riders to finish this year's challenge (good luck guys and gal!!) <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    You're so kind to wait! I'll be there - had to get christmas over first, and it looks as though I've missed the good weather but there are still three more days...
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>
    [it looks as though I've missed the good weather but there are still three more days...
    Jan

I was wondering...Rob was too polite to say who they are!

• Phew! Done it. Unfortunately had to buy a dry coat to avoid frostbite for the last bit of the ride and the train journey home.
    So now can I sign up for 2007?
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Rob Sallnow
    Yay well done Jan...certainly brave going out in all that lot!!!

-
  • Ken Night

Phew! Done it. Unfortunately had to buy a dry coat to avoid frostbite for the last bit of the ride and the train journey home.
    So now can I sign up for 2007?
    Cheers
    Jan

It was ghastly riding here yesterday-30mph winds and torrential rain, so I guess you had the same later on. Ugh, well done!

• Hi Ken
    Yep - horrid, although without the wind. The rain caught up with me quite early (with about 60 miles to go) and after the signs for the Fosse Way and Leicester petered out I was a bit stumped - had to get out of the lanes before dark as my lights weren't good enough to see by.
    Luckily, being a woman I am allowed to ask people for directions [;)] and even in the torrential rain there were a few pedestrians about. So hats off to the chap in the yellow sou'wester who gamely stood with water running down his neck to help me work out how to pick up the Fosse way again and get to Leicester quickly. His directions were spot-on!
    Cheers
    Jan
  • I've just counted up - it looks like 14 people completed this year, with two more possibles. That's amazing! Best year so far - so congrats to everyone![:D]
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248

I've just counted up - it looks like 14 people completed this year, with two more possibles. That's amazing! Best year so far - so congrats to everyone![:D]
    Cheers
    Jan

Well, I've gone from a 'possible' to 'completed'. I did the ride on Saturday, but couldn't post it until I came into work today.

It was a bit cold and damp near Llangollen, and my planned route turned out to be a little short of a century, so I had to add a load of extra twists and turns near the end which I didn't want to do by then! (It was getting dark since I'm useless at leaving before 10 am...). It was a nice route though, and I enjoyed the chance to ride in NE Wales rather than Nottinghamshire or Essex (the scene of most of this years rides). I'll be in again next year.
  • Well done Jokull!
    Jan
  • Congratulations Piedwagtail91 for the first ride report of 2007.
    I was still on the road when you posted your ride. Hope your weather was as nice as mine was.

Nick
    One lady owner, never raced or hunted.
    Nick
    One lady owner, never raced or hunted.
  • thanks crumbling nick,thought i was going to be third. read your post and have to admit i felt a bit envious of your weather as it was pretty grim up here. the forecast was for showers dying out then sunny spells,but it was showers all the way.still enjoyed the ride though,and the sun did come out whilst i was in barbondale which is all i wanted. its the first time i've had to do a loop round town to get just over the 100 as i had to make a few diversions to avoid the A65 as it was just too windy to ride safely on it.
  • B*gger! I was hoping for some good weather this weekend so I could get in early and appear on Page 1 this year!!
    Congrats to Pied and Nick
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Rob Sallnow

B*gger! I was hoping for some good weather this weekend so I could get in early and appear on Page 1 this year!!
    Congrats to Pied and Nick
    Cheers
    Jan

Yeah me too...I was going to ride up to Westbury train station on Sunday's 32MPH tailwind but because of engineering work between Taunton and Exeter I would not be able to get back again!![V]

-
  • Ken Night
    That's some ride on fixed piedwagtail-and isn't Barbondale lovely. I don't suppose you saw a soul up there did you?

• Thanks,barbondale's my favourite dale(mainly because it's the easiest to ride as it's a long drag from this side!). never saw anyone it was great.going down into dent is another story though.
  • riviera
    riviera Posts: 48
    Hi All

sucessfully completed the 2006 metric century challenge. Is there a summary of all the sucessfull entrants somewhere. I cant find one? I managed 34 points and actually did an imperial ton each month in the end.

Best wishes

Winston
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by riviera</i>
    Is there a summary of all the sucessfull entrants somewhere. I cant find one? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Here...

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... hichpage=1

-
  • i wasn't here at the start so just out of interest, can anyone tell me who has done the most consecutive 100's and how many they've done?
    would there be any interest/point in putting a riders total somewhere in the log?
  • Made it (onto the first page, that is!)
    And probably my most enjoyable January ride so far. Amazingly mild and mostly dry - did a big loop that joined up lots of places that I have driven or ridden through separately in the past.
    On the way back, I came up the hill out of Pensford and the late afernoon sun was shining on a yellow house in a field. The sky was dark purple so all the hedges, the house and the grass were glowing against it - and a rainbow tracked across the scene as I rode through it. Magic!
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Rob Sallnow
    Yay, well done Jan!!! A nice looking route!![:)]

It's typical that yesterday was wet and crappy on my day off and the today, when I do my 1 Sunday in 4 at work it's been lovely!![xx(]

-
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piedwagtail91</i>

i wasn't here at the start so just out of interest, can anyone tell me who has done the most consecutive 100's and how many they've done?
    would there be any interest/point in putting a riders total somewhere in the log?

Sadly the first two years of the Challenge are not archived and the third is drifting down the pages to go the same way.

-
  • Cheers, Rob! Bad luck for you, though - fingers crossed for your next day off.

I think Piedwagtail is right - it would be good to include the number of consecutive rides - each rider could do this when they post their first ride of the year. You will just need to decide whether we are only counting the 'challenge' ones.

Cheers
    Jan
  • Rob Sallnow

I think Piedwagtail is right - it would be good to include the number of consecutive rides - each rider could do this when they post their first ride of the year. You will just need to decide whether we are only counting the 'challenge' ones.

Cheers
    Jan

Indeed...up to a point you can put anything you like in the ride comments.

-