The 2007 Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Comments

• Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Jan
    You covered some interesting ground there! I bet routefinding wasn't easy?

I've not cycled in London for 25 years: well done!

The best I've managed is from Chiswick to Richmond and a few laps of RP to see what all the fuss is about

BTW I note from my diaries, that August brings me up to a quarter century of consecutive monthly centuries (20 of those in the "challenge", and that my total in that period is also a nice round number -40

the only trouble is, with that record, how does one stop?

I find myself starting to plan next month's as soon as I've completed the current one!

<font size="1">"He who laughs, lasts"</font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Congrats on your 25 consecutive centuries, Ken (and all the intermediate ones!).
    By my reckoning, Rob and I have each done 32 now and it looks as though neither of us is going to give up before the other one does....
    But you seem to have had a really interesting year - definitely the most 'foreign' centuries, including some really challenging ones.

Enjoy the planning for your next one!
    Cheers
    Jan
    I should have also said: I knew the route as far as Thame, because I used to take my motorbike to Milton Common (just southeast of Thame)for servicing. (And thought nothing of the 160 mile round trip!)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>

Congrats on your 25 consecutive centuries, Ken (and all the intermediate ones!).
    By my reckoning, Rob and I have each done 32 now and it looks as though neither of us is going to give up before the other one does....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yay...we both have a 100% record in the C+ challenge[:)] but I also had a century in each of the last 11 months of 2003[:I]

Looking at many of your entries it looks like my September ride was though 'Connett Country'!![:)] Have you ridden along the Mercian Way between Bridgnorth and Bewdley? I saw a sign for it but as I was running to a tight schedule I decided to just stick to the road route I had plotted on my bit of paper.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> but I also had a century in each of the last 11 months of 2003<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Now that's just showing off!![;)]
    Yep - September was definitely Connett Country! We have motorcycling friends in Bewdley, so have done a fair amount of riding in that area and a bit further west, though always powered rather than pedalled. It ought to be good for cycling, though: I'l have to check it out!
    Cheers
    Jan
  • ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fiona Neall</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sklerjen</i>

Fiona, isn't it rather the GR 20 in Corsica?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, I do believe you're correct - glad I got that sorted before setting out [:I]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font size="2">
    It's good. I wouldn't like to do it in season, though - far too busy. I back-packed it fifteen years ago and even in October, when all the high huts were closed, you had to watch out for naked Germans ligged out on the rocks. You also need to watch out for the semi-wild pigs, which are everywhere below the treeline. I lost my tent and most of my food to a marauding herd of them and had to hoof it for two foodless days to the next road, then hitch down to the coast for the second week's supplies.

"Any idea when the next bus is?", I asked at the garage at the col.
    "May"

The northern half is wilder, higher and altogether better. Monte Cinto is off-route several miles to the east, but well worth the detour.

I did think of going back and doing it in late March or April as a snow and ice route - and now I'm too old. [:(]</font id="size2">
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248
    Another late one! I see you were late again too Jan!

I had an aborted attempt earlier in the month, but had a major mechanical, then finishing up my Masters, moving out of London and preparing to start my new job all got in the way, so once again it was a last-day-of-the-month effort!
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Ping JWO....regarding your entry for your September qualifier....midnight is only an issue if the ride was on the last day of the month, if you did the whole thing without sleeping then change your 204 miles to 600km[:)]

• jwocp
    jwocp Posts: 105
    Thanks Rob. When I was posting the entry, I couldn't remember what the distance was by the time I get to Gonerby Services, at which point I had a snooze for about an hour. I think it was about another 40km beyond midnight, but will check my GPS and update accordingly.

<font size="1">Once fixed, never forgotten; it's like learning to ride a bike.</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Once fixed, never forgotten; it\'s like learning to ride a bike.</font id="size1">
  • Rob Sallnow
    You can snooze midride...that's fine....the idea is not to go to bed or take things like sleeping bags etc, basically. Stick the full 600km in[:)]

• Hi Jokull
    Yep - the closest I have ever come to missing it, this time! And like you, it was because I had a hideous number of things to do. Will have to get October's ride in next weekend because the rest of the month will be taken up with half term. Hope your month is less frantic!
    And JWO - 600k is incredible! Hats off.
    Cheers
    Jan
  • dae
    dae Posts: 77
    JWO, well done on your 600k,
  • jwocp
    jwocp Posts: 105
    Thanks very much. Three years ago, 50 miles was the longest I'd ever cycled in a day, and at the time, 30 miles felt like a long ride. This Century challenge has really helped build my confidence and stamina. This was my first 600km, and not as hard as the distance suggests. These long distances are in part a preparation for the big ride next year - Paris-Brest-Paris.

Jo.

<font size="1">Once fixed, never forgotten; it's like learning to ride a bike.</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Once fixed, never forgotten; it\'s like learning to ride a bike.</font id="size1">
  • Rob Sallnow
    Tell me you got your ride in this weekend and just haven't had a chance to log it, Jan!! [:0]

• Nice of you to be concerned, Rob!
    I'm still in - just having a bit of a hard time at work at the moment, so forgot to log...
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Rob Sallnow
    Phew!!![:)]

• You are very kind!
    Jan
  • My turn to check this time: are you in, Ken?
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    Thanks Jan-Yup, I'm in. Just done my description. A difficult ride because of the wind, but loved it-especially taking my lunch and having it at the church at Altarnun, which is such a pretty village, even in the grey November light, that it just has to be seen to be believed

In an effort to do next month's early, if the weather is nice, I may travel up to High Wycombe to do the Bucks Winter Warmer-though the route description looks complicated

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248
    I'm in for the month too. I'm going to leave next months late as well - riding on roads I don't know seems to add loads of extra time, so I'll wait until Christmas and do the ride around Cheshire/Shropshire, starting from my parents home. Good luck for the last century of the year everyone!
  • Well done Ken, well done Jokull!
    You're usually as late as I am, Jokull, so I was assuming you would be there!
    'Altarnun' seems a very appropriate name for a church, Ken - is it as obvious as it sounds? And is it the village or the church that is so impressive?
    cheers
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    Jan, I'd never thought of the village name like that, though I've known of it for years. It has a particularly real pub about a mile away, and the village itself is exquisite-still has a village shop and a butcher. Also a nice thing is that there's a really neat way to cross the A30, you'd never find on the map. Here are some pictures, that don't really do it justice

The church is very nice, and there is a bench where I've had lunch on occasion-with a rotating village guide, presented by the WI in 1969

Recommended, as part of a "quality" ride

• Rob Sallnow
    Looks a very nice place, Ken....I'll have to look in to a ride in the area some time.

-
    Only thirty shopping days until another Scottoiler thread!!
  • Ken Night
    Here's the route description (thanks to Plymouth CTC-the clever bit comes just after Altarnun, going under the A30

<font size="1"><font face="Arial">

L out of caf‚ at Roboro' on A386 to TAVISTOCK.

At RBT 2nd exit (SO), next RBT 2nd exit ($ Okehampton/Town Centre). At
    TJ opp. Town Hall L and at mini RBT SO ($ Brentor). Just past ToH fork L
    ($ CHILLATON) and carry on through village on main road to LEWTRENCHARD,
    LEWDOWN

At TJ L onto Old A30 ($ Launceston) and follow through LIFTON and follow
    A388 ($ Callington). After crossing bridge 1st R. @ T by garden centre L
    (A388) and next R up hill to ST STEPHEN. R @ T and imm. L on lane
    ($EGLOSKERRY) SO to TRESMEER where SO ($Hallworthy) keeping phone box on R.

At TJ R on A395 to HALLWORTHY where R on B3262. At TJ L onto A39. and
    continue through CAMELFORD to WADEBRIDGE.

At RBT on outskirts of WADEBRIDGE 2nd exit (SO) and shortly R at RBT
    onto B3314 ($ Port Isaac/Delabole). Through DELABOLE to X where SO over
    B3266 past CYCLE MUSEUM and SLAUGHTERHOUSE BRIDGE.

At TJ L on A39.In 400 yds first R onto DAVIDSTOW MOOR. Follow signs for ALTARNUN and FIVE LANES.

At TJ (ToH in village) R. Then1st L. and L again. Imm. R under A30.

At RAB 1st exit ($ Treveague). In lane fork L (no $). Follow L all the
    way to TJ where R onto B3257.

Follow through BRAY SHOP and KELLY BRAY to TJ with A388 where R to
    CALLINGTON.

At TL SO through ST MELLION and HATT to SALTASH.
    FINISH:#9;Saltash Services</font id="Arial"></font id="size1">

the route as described gives exactly 100m

• Rob Sallnow
    So the clever bit is the road under the A30 in the middle of grid SX 22 80?

-
  • Ken Night
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Sallnow</i>

So the clever bit is the road under the A30 in the middle of grid SX 22 80?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's the one-try not to do it when there is a strong Southerly as there was on Sunday-it makes very hard work of Davidstow Moor

• Rob Sallnow
    Oh dear, how disappointing...I thought when you said that there's a really neat way to cross the A30 you'd never find on the map that there was a secret passage under the road, accessed by sliding a hidden door in the oak panelled wall in the lounge of the pub on one side and moving a wheelie bin on the other[V]

-
  • Ken Night
    Oh well, sorry about that. Even without the magic door, it's a nice ride

• took advantage of a rare sunny day with light winds for the last 100 of the year over barbondale. good luck and fine weather to all those still in.big thanks to rob for setting this up.
  • ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    Took your advice, piedwagtail, and had a sunny but very blustery outing from Leeds to Northallerton and back for my 24th continuous 100.

Trouble is that's too far in to give up now and at 57 I'm not sure how many more I have in me.....
  • Ken Night
    Good route Rob. Definitely lucky with the weather

For a treat next time in Jacobstowe, try finding the small road on the L leading due S to Okehampton via Abbeyford Woods. Additional benefits are coming out opposite Waitrose, and easy access to The Granite Way