The 2007 Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Comments

• Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John M</i>

7am start with lights in the morning as my SO wants to get to ASDA by 12[B)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You won't be hanging about then-or you're going to cop it[:)]
    Looks like a nice day for it

<font size="1">"The first commandment was when Eve told Adam to eat the apple"</font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • I wish I'd stayed in bed[V] a freind of mine came out with me early on to keep me from going to fast to soon as I normally do, and after an hour I'd crashed on the ice so we slowed right down, then he came off[:(].
    So after 50km we called it a day and headed home for a 70km 10.20 finish.
    Got to ASDA[B)] and I'll have another go tomorrow on my own but I'll be leaving after 9 to avoid the ice.
    I'll let you know how I got on tomorrow[;)]

<i>I haven't got on my bike today (Sunday) as yesterday afternoon I went out for a walk with the wife and as I walked something went twang[:(] in the back of my right knee and I could hardly walk last night.
    Feeling better today but I think I need the rest more than the 100k.
    So it looks like I'll need to double the effort this spring.
    Anyway it's even iceier than yesterday here today and I don't need another crash.
    I have done over 260km since the 20th Jan but not 100Km+ in one day[;)]</i>

Ride first work later,
    much much later
  • Ken Night
    get well soon-and the imperial centuries will follow..

<font size="1">"The first commandment was when Eve told Adam to eat the apple"</font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • I'm going for this as well. Solving the logistics of getting to Long Eaton for Frenchie's Notts fixed ride yesterday ended up with quite a long ride.
    Hopefully retirement will give the time for the remaining 11.

Nick
    One lady owner, never raced or hunted.
    Nick
    One lady owner, never raced or hunted.
  • Well done Nick!
    I've just seen Pip123's post as well - no leg in the plastercast I hope?! [:O]
    Cheers
    Jan
  • 105.67km (65.66 miles) in 3hr 18mins Avearge 19.8mph.

One day left and I had to do the first half on the turbo because of the dark rush hour icy roads but I hit the 60 mile mark in 2hr 58.42secs[8D]

Ride first work later,
    much much later
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John M</i>

105.67km (65.66 miles) in 3hr 18mins Avearge 19.8mph.

One day left and I had to do the first half on the turbo because of the dark rush hour icy roads but I hit the 60 mile mark in 2hr 58.42secs[8D]

I think you put this in the wrong thread John[;)]

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

Ribble Cycles is the devil in bike shop form!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Ken Night
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ken Night</i>

get well soon-and the imperial centuries will follow..
    [:)]........I did hint.........

• The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Damn! that's me out for a duck. Other committments meant that I could only fit in 52 miles on Sunday. Now its the end of the month so I'm stuffed. [:(] I will stiff try for the rest of the year but appreciate that I am out of the challenge. Good luck to everyone else.

I've only got two things to say about that: b*****ks
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    And me , was up tp 71 miles today felt good then puncture , then mini pump wouldn't work ,another cyclist i knew passed and got me going again but on 82 miles decided to call it a day as it was getting dark , no worries chuffed to do that amount .
  • Rob Sallnow
    Not many takers this year is there!![:0]

Oh well...lets hope all the January riders can make it to December, that would be something!![:)]

• Another faller at the first hurdle [:(]

Was planning to do it in Mallorca last week but was sick as a dog and spent the first day in bed [B)][:(]

Managed a flat 75 miler the next day but pushing on for the 100 would have been folly.

Second day did a very cold 62 miles in the mountains and was dead again on the third day after 40 mountain miles.

Finished the week with another cold, flat 50.

Deceided not to kill myself with a Century over the weekend.

250 miles for the Week, 700+ for the Month, but no cigar. [:(]

<font color="blue"><font size="1">
    Two more years, there's only two more years
    Two more years so hold on.</font id="size1"></font id="blue">
    Quick, lets leave before the lights come on.</font id="size1"></font id="blue">
  • Ken Night
    Bad luck NAG-you can still do 11/12-perhaps Obengruppenfruhrer Sallnow will allow you to put an appropriate note on the Jan entry

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Need another gear</i>..................... in Mallorca last week

Did you take a bike?
    Did you stay nr Puerto Pollensa perchance?

Any recs for routes-Mrs Night, has for the second year in a row been given carte blanche in organising the family holiday-meaning the bike is not an option-but as last year, when she chose The Picos and relented about taking a bike, she's gone and chosen Puerto Pollensa this year.

While the bike IS banned this year, I might sneak my pedals and shoes in and try to hire a bike!

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think you put this in the wrong thread John[;)]

Your right as I've just read this thread the rules.
    Why isn't there a
    "The 2006 Metric Century A Month Challenge Chatzone"?

And to avoid mistakes this post should have been called
    "The 2006 Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone"?

Or is it just me who didn't spot it[:I]

Ride first work later,
    much much later
  • Rob Sallnow

Your right as I've just read this thread the rules.
    Why isn't there a
    "The 2006 Metric Century A Month Challenge Chatzone"?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Because that challenge seems to just have the one thread that takes in both the ride posts and the chat posts. I started one ride thread and one chat thread for ease of use and reading.[:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    And to avoid mistakes this post should have been called
    "The 2006 Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone"?

Or is it just me who didn't spot it[:I]

Because miles is the generally accepted measure for ride distances...and it was the original challenge. Any newer, altered version should incorporate the difference to the original in their name....just like Apple do with their iPods[:)]

The only confusion is because the organiser of the Metric version has moved it from where ever is was to the Ride category for this year.

• Made it by the skin of my teeth this month [:D] , see you all in Feb.

Ride on
    Ride on
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ken Night</i>

Bad luck NAG-you can still do 11/12-perhaps Obengruppenfruhrer Sallnow will allow you to put an appropriate note on the Jan entry

I wouldn't even ask. Rules are Rules [:)]

I'll concentrate on a couple of 1000 mile Months and hitting 10,000 miles for the Year.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ken Night</i>

Did you take a bike?
    Did you stay nr Puerto Pollensa perchance?

Any recs for routes-Mrs Night, has for the second year in a row been given carte blanche in organising the family holiday-meaning the bike is not an option-but as last year, when she chose The Picos and relented about taking a bike, she's gone and chosen Puerto Pollensa this year.

While the bike IS banned this year, I might sneak my pedals and shoes in and try to hire a bike!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, went with Peliroja and PhilMalcolm to Puerto Pollensa and we all took our bikes.
    <font size="1">Big thumbs up for the services of Stansted, Palma and Luton airports, Easyjet and ATS transfer company. [^]</font id="size1">

Puerto Pollensa was a great base for flat rides out East or just 15 miles up into the Mountains.

If you only manage one day out on a bike, head for the Lighthouse at Formentor.
    40 miles return with a couple of nice climbs and decents and a bit of forest.

Phil was a bit desperate for a new tyre and a guy we met in a supermarket pointed us in the direction of another guy who could help him out.
    He had lots and lots of Pink bikes in his shop... [:0][:0][:D] http://www.procyclehire.com

• Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ken Night</i>
    perhaps Obengruppenfruhrer Sallnow will allow you to...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:0] cheeky bugger!!!![:(!]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Sallnow</i>

perhaps Obengruppenfruhrer Sallnow will allow you to...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:0] cheeky bugger!!!![:(!]

[:D]

Today is the 32nd of January, isn't it, Rob [?] [;)]

• I could let you have my ticket for Liverpool v Birmingham and I could go out and do a Century instead.

• Ken Night
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Need another gear</i>
    <i>Originally posted by Ken Night</i>

,....guy who could help him out.
    He had lots and lots of Pink bikes in his shop... [:0][:0][:D] http://www.procyclehire.com

Sounds like just the job-thanks

• Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Need another gear</i>

I could let you have my ticket for Liverpool v Birmingham and I could go out and do a Century instead.

That's an extremely tempting offer, being a Liverpool fan...but I'm working and will have to listen to it on Radio 5[:(]

• Fiona Neall
    Fiona Neall Posts: 1,887
    I've failed for this year at the first hurdle as I expected. Such glorious weather when I got back from Switzerland on Saturday and when it was still there on Sunday, I thought someone wants me out on the trike today [8)] But though the spirit was willing, the body wasn't up to it and we only managed 65 miles, which was quite enough [:I]
    I was intending to have a 'walking' year i.e. less time on the bike/trike and more on foot in the hills (...don't mention mtbs, OK...[xx(]) to build up to GR 21 in Corsica in September but what with the new bike arriving, I may have to just carry on with the challenge anyway [:)]

Good luck to the challengers making it over the first hurdle, long may you ride [:p]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But though the spirit was willing, the body wasn't up to it and we only managed 65 miles, which was quite enough [:I] <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

65 miles is over the 100km mark so join in the metric challenge[;)]

Ride first work later,
    much much later
  • Sklerjen
    Sklerjen Posts: 178
    Fiona, isn't it rather the GR 20 in Corsica? In any case, good luck!! I've done part of it a couple of years ago (the south part, which is the easiest), and all I can tell you is that it's a religious experience and you will never be the same after that. I think it was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life! OK, I wasn't in the best shape, but not a complete couch potato either. It was tough... But also worth it!
    Si vis pacem, para velo
  • Fiona Neall
    Fiona Neall Posts: 1,887
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sklerjen</i>

Fiona, isn't it rather the GR 20 in Corsica?

Yes, I do believe you're correct - glad I got that sorted before setting out [:I]

When I lived in Switzerland, I used to take off for long weekends of wandering around the mountains with a bivvy bag and lightweight mountaineering gear. I found some spectacular and (for Switzerland) remote areas away from the 4000m peaks and really enjoyed the very occasional crossing of paths with people doing the same. One of these encounters was with a young Dutch guy who'd just done the Corsican Haute Route and recommended it - out of the holiday season - and also the Pyrenean equivalent. So nowadays when I don't feel up to full-on Alpine mountaineering, I'm starting to set my sights on some of these long distance paths. There's also a route around the Bernina area using some high passes between Italy and Switzerland which is on the list too. Since I decided not to make any more longhaul flights for holidays, I'm accumulating a to-do list in Europe far faster than I'm completing them.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 1,040
    Who else is out on Saturday? North Wales has a lovely black cloud over it on the BBC weather forecast but it can't be too bad.

Andy :-)

Fight the evil of the Dark Side... with Schmidt!
    "When I see a person on a bicycle I have hope for the future of the human race" H. G. Wells
  • 1x1
    1x1 Posts: 506
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by apt</i>

Who else is out on Saturday? North Wales has a lovely black cloud over it on the BBC weather forecast but it can't be too bad.

Yes, I'll be out on the Marlborough Connection 200k audax. I expect there'll be a few other challengees too. Weather doesn't look too bad (cold, dry, light wind).
  • 1x1
    1x1 Posts: 506
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 1x1</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by apt</i>

Yes, I'll be out on the Marlborough Connection 200k audax. I expect there'll be a few other challengees too. Weather doesn't look too bad (cold, dry, light wind).

Well I don't know how many other challengees were there (apart from Fixed Phil!), but it was a great ride, cold and dry and I completed it in pretty much the same time as last year (9hrs30).