The 2007 Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Comments

• Phil Dyson
    Phil Dyson Posts: 2,553
    I was there too. Finished just on 10 hours. Good conditions - a very pleasant ride.

Phil
    Phil
  • jwocp
    jwocp Posts: 105
    Yes I too made it round the Marlborough in about 9 hours 30. What a great way to spend a Saturday in February. Good route over the Marlborough Downs and through chocolate box Cotswold villages. Highly recommended for anyone wishing to explore this part of the Cotswolds/Wiltshire/Oxfordshire - the route instructions are online at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/nikw/MC200/MC200Index.htm.

Thanks to John Harwood and helpers for organising the whole thing.

Jo.

<font size="1">Once fixed, never forgotten; it's like learning to ride a bike.</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Once fixed, never forgotten; it\'s like learning to ride a bike.</font id="size1">
  • My second metric in the books. The low pressure storm we had yesterday pushed most of the clouds away. My route formed a fish hook as I traveled south from home and then west and then north to the tip of an adjacent Peninsula. The sun came out for the first time in what seems like weeks. In the middle part of the ride it looked like a couple very threatening black clouds, but I only encountered wet pavement. The route was from the west end of Tacoma, Washington over some rollers and then into the Nisqually river valley. Then north to Johnson Point north of Olympia, Washington and then the return trip back home. Stiff head wind for the last 1/3 of the trip.

http://www.somabodywork.com (Structual Integration)

http://www.spokeandsprocket.com/ (LBS, Club & Bike Racing Team Sponsor for 2005)
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Spinnerman</i>

<b>My second metric in the books</b>. The low pressure storm we had yesterday pushed most of the clouds away. My route formed a fish hook as I traveled south from home and then west and then north to the tip of an adjacent Peninsula. The sun came out for the first time in what seems like weeks. In the middle part of the ride it looked like a couple very threatening black clouds, but I only encountered wet pavement. The route was from the west end of Tacoma, Washington over some rollers and then into the Nisqually river valley. Then north to Johnson Point north of Olympia, Washington and then the return trip back home. Stiff head wind for the last 1/3 of the trip.

http://www.spokeandsprocket.com/ (LBS, Club & Bike Racing Team Sponsor for 2005)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So even you are getting the challenge threads mixed up!![:p]

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

Ribble Cycles is the devil in bike shop form!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 295
    How did anyone manage the Marlborough Connection in under 10 hours? [:0]

I must have spent 3 hours at the controls!!
  • OFOAB
    OFOAB Posts: 905
    Quel bummer! Struck down on Saturday with some virulent ailment, which it now seems was building up over the past week. Spent saturday comatose in bed, Sunday semi comatose in a chair and completely missed out on my intended century spin round the wilds of Leyburn, Wensley, Ripon, Knaresborough and then home. Feel like sh*te still - looks like I might be pushing it a bit for this month's contribution.

I wish I was any place but the someplace I'm in
    I wish I was any place but the someplace I\'m in
  • n/a111
    n/a111 Posts: 4,679
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redfox</i>

Erm, by not spending 3 hours in controls ? [;)]

Manotea and I did it in just over 8 1/2, which for me is the fastest 200 for a while.

We were trying to finish in daylight, and we did. And which I've never done on that ride before. Manotea is a slave driver !

We had a great siting of a kite just at the Poughly turn above the Lambourn Valley. It rose up just as we cycled alongside.

Mrs FP and I saw 2 in the same place yesterday, although not as close.
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

\'Ce gars l… a des jambes de pro : en acier en montant, en caoutchouc en descendant\'
  • 1x1
    1x1 Posts: 506
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redfox</i>

I spent about 10/15 mins at WBassett and Lechlade for a sandwich and a drink refill. That was about it. I didn't want to repeat last weeks extended cafe stop on Dr Fosters - it took me ages to get going again!
  • Phil Dyson
    The cafes really make a big difference to the timing. I like to stop for a cuppa - I like to think that 20-30 minutes won't hurt. This year the Town Hall Cafe at Wootton Bassett was better organised than usual (I got the correct food and drink in a reasonable time - both firsts in their field!) but it all fell apart at Lechlade, where I think the staff had never been in a cafe before.

Phil
    Phil
  • Phil Dyson
    Message to "apt" - congrats on your Feb ride. The usual form is to edit your original (January) post, so a single edited entry builds up over the year. Otherwise Rob might not notice you have qualified!

Phil
    Phil
  • jwocp
    jwocp Posts: 105
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phil Dyson</i>

The cafes really make a big difference to the timing. I like to stop for a cuppa - I like to think that 20-30 minutes won't hurt. This year the Town Hall Cafe at Wootton Bassett was better organised than usual (I got the correct food and drink in a reasonable time - both firsts in their field!) but it all fell apart at Lechlade, where I think the staff had never been in a cafe before.

I too like a tea and cake stop or two en route. It still surprises me how much time can add up though. I think I have been really efficient in placing my order and paying for it straight away, gulping it down, only to find I've been still for 30 minutes. Actually, thinking about it, 15 of those minutes usually involve taking off/putting on the layers of clothes necessary to get access to my bib-longs in the loo stops.

One thing I did on the Marlborough which I had never done on an Audax before was to skip the busy food stop at Wootton Bassett (longish queues, a bit too early in the day) and instead stop at a Cirencester cafe 25km later. Because this wasn't a control, there were no queues. Of course it is a bit less sociable, but by that time I was on my own anyway.

Oh, and my experience of the Lechlade cafe control was much more positive. The apple-n-walnut cake was delicious and delivered pretty promptly. The only problem I had there was getting a stamp in the offie downstairs as the very friendly and enthusiastic owner would not stop talking to the other customers about his wine tasting/buying experiences.

Jo.

<font size="1">Once fixed, never forgotten; it's like learning to ride a bike.</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Once fixed, never forgotten; it\'s like learning to ride a bike.</font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Sallnow</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Spinnerman</i>

<b>My second metric in the books</b>. The low pressure storm we had yesterday pushed most of the clouds away. My route formed a fish hook as I traveled south from home and then west and then north to the tip of an adjacent Peninsula. The sun came out for the first time in what seems like weeks. In the middle part of the ride it looked like a couple very threatening black clouds, but I only encountered wet pavement. The route was from the west end of Tacoma, Washington over some rollers and then into the Nisqually river valley. Then north to Johnson Point north of Olympia, Washington and then the return trip back home. Stiff head wind for the last 1/3 of the trip.

So even you are getting the challenge threads mixed up!![:p]

I certainly did!

• Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phil Dyson</i>

Message to "apt" - congrats on your Feb ride. The usual form is to edit your original (January) post, so a single edited entry builds up over the year. Otherwise Rob might not notice you have qualified!Phil

Why is it everyone that misses the guide on the opening page has their 'email member' function turned off!!??[:o)]

• manotea
    manotea Posts: 1,024

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">So if you had'nt spent 3hrs at the controls, you'd have been round in 7 hours [:0]

So the trick is not to dally at the controls. Theres just no point. In the summer its nice to sit in the sun and take your time, but in winter it just makes getting started again the harder. Also when the days are short, every minute you spend in the control is a minute you'll spend riding in the dark at the end of the day, and its <i>real</i> nice if you can finish in daylight.

We also saw a small flock of dear clamber over the stone walls and cross the road in front of us before bounding off into the distance across open fields. How cool is that? [:)]

"Put the kettle on, I'm gaspin"
    "Put the kettle on, I\'m gaspin"
  • n/a111
    n/a111 Posts: 4,679
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manotea</i>

We also saw a small flock of dear clamber over the stone walls and cross the road in front of us before bounding off into the distance across open fields. How cool is that? [:)]

Oh bless.

You can tell he's a townie can't you ?

[;)]
    Phil

www.fixed.org.uk

\'Ce gars l… a des jambes de pro : en acier en montant, en caoutchouc en descendant\'
  • Phil Dyson
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jwo</i>
    .... my experience of the Lechlade cafe control was much more positive. The apple-n-walnut cake was delicious and delivered pretty promptly. The only problem I had there was getting a stamp in the offie downstairs as the very friendly and enthusiastic owner would not stop talking to the other customers about his wine tasting/buying experiences.

Jo.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Interesting - the wine seller interrupted a sale to do my card, but upstairs, s o s l o w. But I agree, the cake was good.

Phil
    Phil
  • apt
    apt Posts: 1,040
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Sallnow</i>

Message to "apt" - congrats on your Feb ride. The usual form is to edit your original (January) post, so a single edited entry builds up over the year. Otherwise Rob might not notice you have qualified!Phil

Why is it everyone that misses the guide on the opening page has their 'email member' function turned off!!??[:o)]

Sorted it now.
    Sorry - a bit stupid on my behalf.
    Still haven't turned the e mail on since I joined the forum months ago.

Fight the evil of the Dark Side... with Schmidt!
    "When I see a person on a bicycle I have hope for the future of the human race" H. G. Wells
  • Wow!
    Congrats, Rob!
    Our very own stickies!
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>

Wow!
    Congrats, Rob!
    Our very own stickies!
    Cheers
    Jan

Yup...I asked Admin to sticky the Register thread on the 1st of January...they stickied this thread instead, it took 6 further flaggings plus a couple of weeks wait after the last flagging for them to sticky it...but it's done.[:)] I've never seen so many similarly named threads as stickies in one category!!![:0]

• Beza
    Beza Posts: 85
    any one in stone, stafford, or stoke, (staffordshire) want to ride one of these (or 2 a month) during school hours.
    thanks
  • My turn for a 'quality' ride, Ken!
    Leaning over sideways against a 25mph cross-wind on the old Severn bridge, then one of my favourite twisty roads from Chepstow to Usk and Abergavenny. I met up with Dave (BBB) there to hand on the Great Forum Ride C+T-shirt. Had a good cuppa and a chat at the station before riding our separate ways home. Mine being the back road to Monmouth (had to scramble up the bank off the Hereford road and poke my bike over the railings onto the bridge parapet as I realised I should have ridden back into town to pick up this road). It turned out to be another great road - hilly and twisty, with snow on the tops around me, and just enough shelter from the 3/4 headwind.
    Swooped down into Monmouth and chips for lunch - wicked!
    Then up and around into the Forest of Dean, but this time with no shelter at the highest parts and a real struggle to hold the bike at times. Luckily, the traffic was sparse, and considerate. Through the lanes for the last part into Gloucester, as the A40 was closed and I didn't fancy the published diversion via the M40!

And then... 30 miles freewheeling to Bristol with the 25mph wind behind me woohoo!

Cheers
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jan_connett</i>

My turn for a 'quality' ride, Ken!

And then... 30 miles freewheeling to Bristol with the 25mph wind behind me woohoo!

Cheers
    Jan
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:)]

Great-I did the Dunkery Dash yesterday and thought you might be out and about on the other side of the Bristol Channel. Did you take that road that winds down the valley out of Monmouth?

There was some snow on Exmoor, but the roads had all been salted, and were clear-gave the bike a good wash later.

to have the following wind as you finish the ride is a real lift isn't it[:)]

I've tried to plan the rides better this year to keep the interest and quality up

If the weather is good this Sunday I'm going to try to get the March ride in early, doing Lexi Webber's Coasts and Quantocks-a quality ride from last year

April, I've signed for the 300k Elenith, which I think is on the 8th

May, a week in the Alps, to do the Marmotte route and the Dauphin Sportif-two centuries and lots of lovely cafe stops/menu cyclistes in a week, roll on...

<font size="1">"I get a kick out of kids coming up to me and saying, 'Are you Cliff Richard?'"</font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • A real poor effeort this year, I appear to have lost my will to ride!
  • Rob Sallnow
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Michaelm</i>

A real poor effeort this year, I appear to have lost my will to ride!

So I see!!![:p] A few more lines please, and don't copy and paste them!!![:o)]

• On the plus side, today was my last day at work [8D]

The place is now locked up and the keys have been handed over. I'm on gardening leave untill the end of Aug, when I stop getting paid and start drawing my pension - all at the grand old age of 42.

Just the small matter of an arthroscopy to see to and then I will become a biking acoustic guitar playing god.

It sort of offsets the disapointment somewhat [:)]
  • Bad luck, Michaelm.
    Sounds like you need some R+R. Hope you'll feel more like riding once your knee is sorted out. Just one small point: do you have to carry spare strings as well as inner tubes on your long rides - or are they interchangable? On second thoughts, I don't suppose the gods are much troubled by p**ncture fairies, are they?!

Cheers
    Jan
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>posted by Ken:</i>
    Did you take that road that winds down the valley out of Monmouth?
    Not this time, although it is a lovely ride, but it comes back to Chepstow, so wasn't far enough. I went on through the Forest of Dean instead, which I have never done on a pushbike before. Also good, and picturesque, but in a different way.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">May, a week in the Alps, to do the Marmotte route and the Dauphin Sportif-two centuries and lots of lovely cafe stops/menu cyclistes in a week, roll on...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    The rest was just to make us jealous, wasn't it? [;)]

Cheers
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">May, a week in the Alps, to do the Marmotte route and the Dauphin Sportif-two centuries and lots of lovely cafe stops/menu cyclistes in a week, roll on...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    The rest was just to make us jealous, wasn't it? [;)]

Cheers
    Jan

[:I], not really-just to get a chat going, hoping you'd divulge what you intend to do etc

<font size="1">"I get a kick out of kids coming up to me and saying, 'Are you Cliff Richard?'"</font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • jan_connett
    jan_connett Posts: 579
    I haven't got that far yet. My current contract comes to an end in a month's time and I know that it's silly, but I find it hard to plan interesting stuff when my job's on the line. I'm sure I'll get something else within the council, but there's always that little frisson of uncertainty.

Where's Elenith? 300k sounds like a scarily long way! And the Alps do sound great.
    Cheers
    Jan
  • Ken Night
    Where's Elenith? 300k sounds like a scarily long way! And the Alps do sound great.
    Cheers
    Jan
    "The Elenith" starts in Kiddiminster and is reputed to be one of the most scenic of audax routes-it is a long way, but if the weather is nice, it could be pleasurable

Mind you I rather regretted doing the Moor Like a 400 last year, because it was so far in a day, that I don't really have any memory of it at all-and I was knackered for a couple of days afterwards

I'm not formally working right now-so I've got the freedom to plan these things and to ride most days when it's fine

This happy state of affairs cannot be allowed to continue.....so say all around me, but I'm quite content, I have a couple of little projects to occupy me, and when the time comes, it'll be full on so bye bye to riding much at all when that happens