The Tour of it's not going past my house in Britain thread

12345679»

Comments

• r0bh said:

Back to watching your local Open 10 mile TT... if you are lucky, you can spot Dowsett

see the latest comms from CTT to see why that might not happen...
    in what way?

CTT pooping their pants about courses assing through 20 mph zones, even though speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles.
    MAMILs on TT bikes overtaking cars in 20mph zones probably not a great look though is it
    No... it fuels the fire of the anti cyclists for sure.
  • Is this brought about by new developments or is it a case of historically badly thought out courses?

The two courses local to me have been in use since the 1980s.

They just happen to have had 20mph zones put in outside schools. One is 350 metres the other course has just over 400 metres.
    the 20mph around schools only apply at school hours, so they do not apply at TT times, I have checked the Highway code for that… that said, sounds like a built up area and probably the course should be scrapped regardless.
    It is not difficult to get a new course approved by your district, especially if it is not a set distance, 10, 25 etc… we are moving away from PB nonsense and course records anyway…

left the forum March 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,356
    Not looking better, seems IoW council would like their money back for the cancelled stage last year

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/tour-of-britain-organiser-facing-fresh-threat-of-legal-action-as-claims-reach-nearly-pound1m
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,134

Not looking better, seems IoW council would like their money back for the cancelled stage last year

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/tour-of-britain-organiser-facing-fresh-threat-of-legal-action-as-claims-reach-nearly-pound1m

The Royal Family can settle that claim.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    edited December 2023
    Surely they have some kind of event insurance against that sort of thing?

Edit - apparently not according to the article, that's a ridiculous risk
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

Couldn't afford the safety net is a mad way to go down
  • Pross said:

One could argue that the IOW are the ones who should have insured against the risk?

And I mean perhaps, not definitely.

Also, Covid would probably have made the insurance risk of that exceptionally difficult to get
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803

Pross said:

One could argue that the IOW are the ones who should have insured against the risk?

And I mean perhaps, not definitely.

Also, Covid would probably have made the insurance risk of that exceptionally difficult to get
    To be fair, I’m not sure how successful they’ll be if they try to sue Sweetspot considering the circumstances under which it was cancelled. Didn’t they lose police cover for the event due to them getting called back to cover the mourning?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,617
    Also, seems a bit mad not to negate the action by simply re-running the stage, as they did with Gloucester
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471

Also, seems a bit mad not to negate the action by simply re-running the stage, as they did with Gloucester

That would mean incurring the costs twice, so still far from ideal. They really f***** up chancing it with the insurance.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471

BC have announced plans for a full 8 day mens race and a probably shorter than the usual 6 days women's race. They also acknowledge the financial difficulty of organising a race in Britain. Which begs the question, how the hell can they justify charging an organiser £700k to put the race on? Not that I'm surprised when they charge local clubs, run by volunteers, hundreds of pounds in fees for giving their own time to put on a race. Disgraceful organisation.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I believe that the 2023 womens tour was already going to 5 days. This was to save the cost of hosting 7 rider teams instead of 6. I dont fully understand the £700k either.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Wout van Aert and Olav Kooij are apparently still waiting for their prize money from 2023

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/wout-van-aert-en-olav-kooij-wachten-nog-altijd-op-prijzengeld-tour-of-britain/

• flite
    flite Posts: 219

BBC reporting that BC have got Rod Ellingworth as Race Director

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011
    edited April 22

Just came across the 2024 website - what a mess. https://tour-of-britain.com/

Unchecked cut & paste text from old editions. Apparently the 2021 race was cancelled because of the death of QE2. Followed by a guide to the upcoming 2021 edition. Elsewhere it tells us the most recent edition was 2015.

You can get into the VIP areas for anything from £30 to £2500, so that's a bonus. And lots of betting pop-ups.

The tipsters page has youngsters Alberto Contador and Joquim Rodriguez amongst the favorites.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737

Is that a spam site?

"last tour of britain was 2015". No it wasn't. I was on the final stage in 2021. And f off with pop up gambling adverts.

Great days eh.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011

yes, probably safest to stay away from the site altogether, but I don't think I can delete/amend my message now.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,996

What better analogy for the state of the UK is there

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm