The Tour of it's not going past my house in Britain thread

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,610
    alan_a said:

Crosswinds today. Blowy at Bridlington and finish.

Better effort from the domestic teams ... They need to do something that's for sure
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • alan_a said:

Anyone got a phone number for Danny Van Poppel?

I need to apologise to him.

That's 2 days in a row I have called him across the line in 2nd place as Sam Bennett.

FFS

There will not be a 3rd error. Honest.

Wouldn't worry : Ned did the same.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,551
    Dialatron said:

That was you on the PA Alan?

Yes
  • Looks familiar?

It's the next, paint drying stage profile. Actually, hard though it is to believe, it's even flatter than today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • If any other team decides to help save Jumbo's precious legs for the run in tomorrow, they're even stupider than I already think.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,483
    At some point Jumbo will let van aert roll off the front in the run in and gain a few seconds. No one else is close enough to turn to chase.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Luke Rowe was saying on the podcast that the organisers struggled with sponsorship this year and so has to take the money from the towns that offered, rather than take less money from towns that would make a more interesting route
  • Luke Rowe was saying on the podcast that the organisers struggled with sponsorship this year and so has to take the money from the towns that offered, rather than take less money from towns that would make a more interesting route

It’s not so much the towns but the route between the towns.
    I mean stage one using the Peak District to get to Manchester, but almost devoid of peaks.
    Wrexham to Wrexham over junior racing kms. Who would have thought North Wales is pan flat?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,539
    What a jolly dull race.
  • alan_a said:

Dialatron said:

Yes
    Was that you that Ned Boulting was querying your pronunciation of Kooij on the NSF podcast? :p
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

At some point Jumbo will let van aert roll off the front in the run in and gain a few seconds. No one else is close enough to turn to chase.

Mov will keep.it all together until the final day
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,551

alan_a said:

Dialatron said:

Yes
    Was that you that Ned Boulting was querying your pronunciation of Kooij on the NSF podcast? :p
    😂 No, that's Carl who does the podium stuff.

But I am more than happy to admit butchering names... Even the supposedly easy ones like Luke Rrrrrrrrrrrrowe.

Gotta rrrrrrroll them Rrrrrrs
  • Has Harry Tanfield been in every break?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,887
    edited September 2023
    Imense effort intermediate sprint from breakaway for the cash! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Category 3 climb my ****! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    neonriver said:

Has Harry Tanfield been in every break?

Yes
  • mididoctors
    Tour of Harry tanfield
  • mididoctors

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,184

You missed a trick in not posting a picture of one on day one, two on day two, three yesterday and four today.
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2023
    andyp said:

You missed a trick in not posting a picture of one on day one, two on day two, three yesterday and four today.
    I missed day 1 totally .....it's a good idea 💡
  • I tell you, the most exciting thing about this race for me is my velogames team. Had top 4 yesterday and 4 out of the top 5 today.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,026
    The sheep penny farthing was a highlight for me
  • Have they ever considered including the Rutland Cicle Classic route?
  • Just for a change.....oh wait.

Tomorrow:

Friday:

Of course I am only guessing, base upon the fact that I have given up watching, but I can't imagine this edition is setting any new records for ITV4.
    I don't know how long their contract runs, but I suspect they won't be renewing, as a result of this race.
  • mididoctors
    It's oddly compelling and one of the strangest races I have seen. Absolutely impossible to break Jumbo's grip on a course they can't get a time gap on. ... Who ever wins stage 8 wins the whole thing I guess
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,645
    At the bottom of the stage report on the BBC Sport app it says "Inspired to try cycling?". I'm guessing not.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,184
    For all the criticism, without a headline sponsor the organisers have had to go where the money is and if that means a dull course for this year, then so be it. Hopefully they'll be able to find a headline sponsor next year and provide a more balanced parcours.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,181
    edited September 2023
    andyp said:

For all the criticism, without a headline sponsor the organisers have had to go where the money is and if that means a dull course for this year, then so be it. Hopefully they'll be able to find a headline sponsor next year and provide a more balanced parcours.

It has potential to be a vicious circle though. A dull route getting criticised is less likely to attract a sponsor. Did having a title sponsor ever give more freedom on route choice though? I thought it had always had to go to the areas where Councils were paying.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I was involved a few years ago with organising one stage of the mens tob and the next year a stage of the women's and at that time the towns hosting the start and end of stages had actually been agreed at least 1 year before, the one starting town was agreed 3 years before! Or at least this is what I was told.

The finer details of the route is generally what takes most time to sort due to organising the rolling road closure, but I would be very surprised if the provisional route hadn't been identified at least 12 months before the race. Unless a host town had pulled out at the last minute, causing a route change. But usually this would have been reported.

I think Pross is spot on with his suggestion that a boring race is more likely to deter sponsors than attract.

It's definitely a turn off this year and if we get to the final stage with riders still on the same time, whilst that stage may be exciting (winner takes all) it begs the question were the other 7 stages needed?!!
  • Well I guess this year it was take the highest paying council's money or nothing.

I think with a title sponsor it allows the race to take lower bids from councils/cities that offer a more interesting route option. Without the title sponsor they're over the barrel of whichever local council is offering them the most money.