The Tour of it's not going past my house in Britain thread

Comments

• Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • All in all the inevitable Jumbo and van Aert win.
    Interestingly, Wout has only won two stage race GCs: the Tour of Britain- twice.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,586
    I frigging loved that.

• The last 2 stages were good, just about rescued the snooze of the 1st four days.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,247
    Thank you Wales! You (inevitably) didn't affect the final result, but did inject some excitement into the race. More TOB stages in the Valleys please.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,586
    DeadCalm said:

Thank you Wales! You (inevitably) didn't affect the final result, but did inject some excitement into the race. More TOB stages in the Valleys please.

Stage 2 should have been a belter.

Hmmmm... Sad coincidence there was a national strike by Unite Union council workers.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,247
    Zeb Kyffin of Saint Piran 6th overall. That's a decent ride.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,177
    DeadCalm said:

You could also do a ITT on the Epynt military ranges....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,644
    andyrac said:

DeadCalm said:

Rode across on Saturday, to the serenade of triple-burst of a GPMG in SF.
    Happy memories.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293
    andyrac said:

DeadCalm said:

I was looking to get an amateur race on closed roads around there but decided to quit organising before I got around to it. Biggest issue was probably finding an event HQ but it would make for an excellent circuit (a bit grim on a wet and windy day though). I used to enjoy going up to watch the rallies around there.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,644
    Then surely Dixies would have been shouting out as an HQ, no?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,177
    Pross said:

andyrac said:

DeadCalm said:

I was looking to get an amateur race on closed roads around there but decided to quit organising before I got around to it. Biggest issue was probably finding an event HQ but it would make for an excellent circuit (a bit grim on a wet and windy day though). I used to enjoy going up to watch the rallies around there.
    The bad days up there, and there have been many - there have been just as many really decent ones; plenty of days returning with a suntan.

And quite a few '4 seasons in one day' as well.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,575
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Nearly posted that in either the Chris Froome or Mark Cavendish threads. Who'd have put money on both of their careers outlasting it?
  • gsk82 said:
    Seems to be the way generally with the sport nowadays.

If we weren't local to the CiCLE Classic we would probably not be exposed to road racing anymore.

There used to be a large number of handicaps and 3/4 road races local but seems traffic levels and local opposition has killed that.

I would have thought if the ToB was under threat that would be the issue as opposed to a monetary dispute.
  • Back to watching your local Open 10 mile TT... if you are lucky, you can spot Dowsett
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sport events in general are becoming too expensive to run and cancellations are inevitable. The Commonwealth Games might never happen again, the way things are looking. There is some obvious damage, but it is also an opportunity to rethink sport and what we want out of it... does ALL sport need to go professional? If cycling were to take a hit financially and races were to scale down their ambition (including the big races), the obvious consequence is that in the long run we might see a return to more down to earth prices in the equipment, in return maybe for less "cutting edge" technology, which is constantly superseded and rendered obsolete. I am not predicating a return to fillet brazed frames and rim brakes, but there has to come a point where one has to ask whether the 0.1% improvement is something worth seeking and if there is no money in racing, then the answer is no.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,892
    Entry level bike prices are insane
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Back to watching your local Open 10 mile TT... if you are lucky, you can spot Dowsett

see the latest comms from CTT to see why that might not happen...

in what way?

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424
    edited November 2023

Back to watching your local Open 10 mile TT... if you are lucky, you can spot Dowsett

in what way?

CTT pooping their pants about courses assing through 20 mph zones, even though speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065

Back to watching your local Open 10 mile TT... if you are lucky, you can spot Dowsett

in what way?

CTT pooping their pants about courses assing through 20 mph zones, even though speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles.
    Deliberate? 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

in what way?

it’s such a marginal issue… maybe more relevant in Wales.
    I can’t think of a single course we use that goes through a 20 mph zone.
    The real issue is the demographic… 40+ used to be prevalent, now 50+, so basically it is the same people getting older.
    The only saviour is the road bike category, which is now prevalent among the younger riders.. in ten years there won’t be many TT bikes around… which is probably a good thing, as they are an abomination
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424

in what way?

The real issue is the demographic… 40+ used to be prevalent, now 50+, so basically it is the same people getting older.
    The only saviour is the road bike category, which is now prevalent among the younger riders.. in ten years there won’t be many TT bikes around… which is probably a good thing, as they are an abomination
    Allowing 80 mm wheels in the road bike category is utterly stupid though.

in what way?

Allowing 80 mm wheels in the road bike category is utterly stupid though.
    I guess the move was made to facilitate the transition from TT bikes. Not a fan of pointy helmets either, but the real disadvantage of a road bike is that if you want an aero position, you need to work at it… train your muscles to hang on the bars for those 24 or 60 minutes.. with a TT bike is just too easy… you basically buy your shortcut to speed.
    All the other implements are comparatively marginal gains.
    To give you an idea, I was 7th in a recent 25 for road bikes only.. out of 27 riders, I never do that well, very rarely make the top half of a decent club event. I don’t have any aero malarkey.

in what way?

Pretty much all of our local courses will be gone if this is seen through.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,411

in what way?

MAMILs on TT bikes overtaking cars in 20mph zones probably not a great look though is it
  • Is this brought about by new developments or is it a case of historically badly thought out courses?
  • Is this brought about by new developments or is it a case of historically badly thought out courses?

The two courses local to me have been in use since the 1980s.

They just happen to have had 20mph zones put in outside schools. One is 350 metres the other course has just over 400 metres.