The Tour of it's not going past my house in Britain thread

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,586
edited September 2023 in Pro race
Awright troops...

Yes it's not going past your grannies house. Yes it's not Vuelta, yes it's not world champs prep this year. Yes it should be in the chipper thread. But it's our home tour.

Starts today in Altrincham with an anticlockwise loop of the hills round Manchester before finishing on Deansgate.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-one/

It's on ITV4 with Ned & David from 11.30am

They given me an even louder sound system and a radio mic with longer range at the finish ..

Who's coming to say hello?

Comments

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,776
    It comes past my house (sort of) on Saturday.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I'm at a beer festival in Rivington again and apparently they'll come past the entrance at about 3. So keep an eye out for a bunch of p*ssed up beer festival goers just before Rivington Pike...
  • Not coming far enough north to be anywhere near us 😀
  • I am not entitled to comment, because its not coming to Scotland and doesn't affect me.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,892
    Good crowds and fine weather ..it's going past a lot of front doors literally.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    No vuelta spoilers or vice versa
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,047
    edited September 2023
    Boring club ride so far, not too long until The Rake (at ~70Km to go?), will watch the climb and then head out myself in the heat.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    It actually comes past my house this year (well almost - I'll have to ride max a mile to see it). But not until Friday.
  • mididoctors
    Mega jumbo
  • Lol
    Another race, another country: The Jumbo show.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400

I'm at a beer festival in Rivington again and apparently they'll come past the entrance at about 3. So keep an eye out for a bunch of p*ssed up beer festival goers just before Rivington Pike...

Just after Rivington Pike it was, thought the race was going the other way.

Break was miles up the road, was minutes before the main bunch came past.

DSM car stopped and got a beer handup from the brewery 😆
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293
    So today it was around Cheshire and I was at home in South Wales. Next weekend it is in South Wales and I’m in Cheshire.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,776
    edited September 2023
    Enjoyed the way WVA leads out the sprint winner and then casually slots back in for second place.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 564
    Alex Dowsett was saying on twitter that after riding it for many years the tob is finally coming past his house! Seems a bit of cruel.
    Having said that it's nowhere near mine this year.
  • On ITV4 they've just said GC is on average placing for stages raced, not time! :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • On ITV4 they've just said GC is on average placing for stages raced, not time! :o

Think someone has got that wrong, thats the tie break see regs below

General classification
    The general classification is decided by adding together the time taken by the riders on each stage, less any time bonuses and plus any time penalties. The rider leading this competition after stage one will wear the leader’s jersey and receive a daily award.

Where two or more riders make the same time in the general individual, time placings, the placings obtained in each stage (except team time trial stages) shall be added and, as a last resort, the place obtained in the last stage ridden shall be taken into consideration.

Time bonuses, applicable only to general classification, will not be awarded in 2023.
  • Gives Pidcock a chance to take second on GC despite only having one stage to compete in then.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,484
    That's the Tour of the Midlands, innit. Nuffink down here in the Sarf
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,494
    Tashman said:

Last time I checked, Suffolk and Essex were definitely south.
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2023
    bm5 said:

Alex Dowsett was saying on twitter that after riding it for many years the tob is finally coming past his house! Seems a bit of cruel.
    Having said that it's nowhere near mine this year.

Goes down Essex training roads stage 6 ...shame they skirt the toot hill rollers for telegenic effect
  • mididoctors
    You need to lose time deliberately real hard to get into the breaks or hope they last ..... 7 sprint stages on paper with no time bonuses and one GC stage ... There's some stiff heavy roads mind you
  • mididoctors

Gives Pidcock a chance to take second on GC despite only having one stage to compete in then.

LOL
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865
    edited September 2023
  • mididoctors
  • ~10Km until today's pitiful mountain, ~2Km averaging 2.7%. :D

Such a shame the route is decided by finances, given the likes of Horseshoe Pass is so close to Wrexham.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    Broken Britain
  • andyp said:

Tashman said:

Not to mention that Gloucester is South of the M4 corridor.
    Maybe he means Florida or Louisiana?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,484
    andyp said:

Tashman said:

Nah, they're way up there, from down here
  • mididoctors
    Essex and Suffolk are full of kippers we disowned them
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424
    edited September 2023

andyp said:

Tashman said:

Not to mention that Gloucester is South of the M4 corridor.
    Maybe he means Florida or Louisiana?
    Gloucester is in the midlands and deffo not south of the M4 corridor!
    Suffolk and Essex are in the south east.

Queenie's death robbed us of the south's stages last year.